The SUFJAN STEVENS Thread

superstar

I really don't expect to see anyone else on here, but I am absolutely LOVING this man's music right now! :rolls_eyes:

sufjan-stevens.jpg

Sufjan Stevens

33-year old Michigan-born singer/songwriter, but he probably plays more than 10 instruments. He himself records many of the instrument parts audible in his album.

His music is very subdued, very instrument focused. I like the real image of space of gives, it's very layered music. Many of his songs tell little stories, personal anecdotes.

There has been speculation that he was conceived from a unicorn--I mean, how else could he have a voice like that!? :wub2:

Some of my favorite Sufjan-songs:

Chicago (Illinois): One of his most popular songs. I really love the space of this song--it's so vast. The instrumental part is beautiful, and of course, his voice.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rDRrqcZbdPU

Casimir Pulaski Day (Michigan): A really, really sad song. You know, one of the ones that you listen to the lyrics, cry a little bit, listen again, cry some more. :naughty:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KGEMx3TKxNc

Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Step-mom! (Illinois): A perfect example of this man's incredible song titles. He has longer ones. Anyways, I am really loving this song right now, even though it's not as popular as the others.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DpdL2DLshf4

A few more:

For the Widows in Paradise, For the Fatherless in Ypsilanti

The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts

Jacksonville

Say Yes! To M!Ch!Gan!

The Avalanche

If you noticed, a few of the songs above didn't have hyperlinks. That's because I couldn't find them online, in a studio version :thumb_yello: Also, some of those videos are a little odd. Maybe, don't watch the video, just listen to it? :naughty:

Well, if any of you have heard of this man and like his music, feel free to discuss! I highly recommend his albums!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite song by him right now is "Chicago" (but only because you gave it to me) :mf_rosetinted:.

Thanks for posting, dearie. Even if it was only because I forced you to. :naughty:

Chicago is a major jam. I can give you the acoustic version, and the remix if you like! :das:

• 7 months later...

He did a song for the compilation "Dark Was the Night", whose sales benefit HIV/AIDS. Plus it's a fantastic compilation, which I recommend a millionfold.

Anyways, the song is called "You Are The Blood". It's not really like anything he's done before, but it is what we call a masterpiece. 10 minutes of AMAZING. I can listen to it over and over. It's a little 'out there' but if you listen to it more than once, you can really get into it. :teehee:

:drool:

• 2 weeks later...

heeey nice to see people here :biggrin2:

i found out about him last year i think...i really like his music but he has loads of sad songs

i like casimir pulaski day and for the windows in paradise...and sister winter

heeey nice to see people here :biggrin2:

i found out about him last year i think...i really like his music but he has loads of sad songs

i like casimir pulaski day and for the windows in paradise...and sister winter

Yes those are gorgeeeous! Wow this is such a rush someone else posted here!

I really wish he would tour. :aah:

Yes those are gorgeeeous! Wow this is such a rush someone else posted here!

I really wish he would tour. :aah:

oh well he would never tour this forgotten land so... :teehee:

seriously now... it would be nice if he would but...at least we got his nice songs for now

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard about his BQE project?

BASICALLY, he was commissioned by this panel in New York to write an orchestra about the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. And write a masterpiece he did! The live-orchestra version was performed with an accompanying film (shot by Sufjan) and some hula-hoopers in New York a few months ago.

But now the CD and DVD are released! And let me just say, GENIUS! It's obviously not like anything he's done before (it's an orchestra for crying out loud) but it's absolutely stunning.

GENIUS I TELL YOU! GENIUS!

:wub2:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Aaahhhh, Sufjan. He was "our" music for my ex and me. *siigghhh*

Has anyone heard his Christmas EPs? He does all those classic songs so beautifully. Normally I get tired of listening to them all month but he put a new spin on all of them. :wub2: His music was the soundtrack to my December, pretty much. :naughty:

Yesterday, Superstar and I were going to see a movie downtown, and when they were walking, they were playing "Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois" in a store! Kira flipped out, but we had to hurry because we were late to the movie. When we got into the theater, though, there was some movie trailer playing that had "The Perpetual Self, Or "What Would Saul Alinsky Do?"" in it! She wouldn't let me sing along:naughty:, but I guess it was just a Sufjan day around downtown. :wub2:

Yesterday, Superstar and I were going to see a movie downtown, and when they were walking, they were playing "Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois" in a store! Kira flipped out, but we had to hurry because we were late to the movie. When we got into the theater, though, there was some movie trailer playing that had "The Perpetual Self, Or "What Would Saul Alinsky Do?"" in it! She wouldn't let me sing along:naughty:, but I guess it was just a Sufjan day around downtown. :wub2:

Lucky! Nobody here has even heard of him. :huh:

We don't hear him much down here either, which is why it was so weird that we heard him twice in one day!

But, our second cousin, (who we swear looks EXACTLY like him) went to see him in concert a couple of years ago! Insanity!

I know what you mean! Luckily one of my friends showed him to me, and one of her friends to her. So we all know him. :naughty:

Check this one out! It's about Canada!

That is the most gorgeous cover ever. Sufjan ... :wub2:

We don't hear him much down here either, which is why it was so weird that we heard him twice in one day!

But, our second cousin, (who we swear looks EXACTLY like him) went to see him in concert a couple of years ago! Insanity!

Ooooh, is he single? :naughty:

I know what you mean! Luckily one of my friends showed him to me, and one of her friends to her. So we all know him. :naughty:

Check this one out! It's about Canada!

That is the most gorgeous cover ever. Sufjan ... :wub2:

Wow, that's beautiful. I love it. :wub2:

• 8 months later...