Mika, check this out!

laura*

why not?:wink2:

If I didn't watch it I never knew they made a song called "Brian Eno":shocked:, and it's a really great song!!!! it runs in my head over and over again now!!!

Oh, only because I've been writing about them too much on the shrink thread, so I thought pple would say: oh no, not them again.....

Brian Eno is great! Happy to hear you liked it. :wink2: The whole album "Cnngratulations" is like a dream... :swoon:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed! it's a simple matter of marketing! I'm not shocked by that but I know that male artists can choose if arise as sexual objects or not while for women artists it's an almost unavoidable choice;

I know, mine is certainly an extreme point of view! I wouldn't have read Hedda Gabler, A Doll's House and also Little Women -do you remember Jo?:wink2:-when I was a teenager!:roftl:

I don't find it that extreme. It's reality that's extreme. Women have to be three times as good as men to have the same success. And look good. And have three kids and a family. And if in music/film business always walk around half naked. Somehow it is humiliating and unfair, don't you think? I mean I am not a feminist at all (for that we have this awfull Alice Schwarzer in Germany), but I am always happy to see a woman artist who's successful without all the negative things that come with it.

• 4 weeks later...
niiice song! I'm a big fan of VW, I love their way of making music:thumb_yello:

Yeeees, love them! Especially Mr. Koenig... :wub2: My favorite at the moment:

I am not sure which band I love more at the moment: VW or MGMT.... Or as Goethe said: "Two hearts are beating in my chest..." :teehee:

"Diplomat's son" reminds me of Mika because of the lyrics...:teehee:

Yeeees, love them! Especially Mr. Koenig... :wub2: My favorite at the moment:

I am not sure which band I love more at the moment: VW or MGMT.... Or as Goethe said: "Two hearts are beating in my chest..." :teehee:

"Diplomat's son" reminds me of Mika because of the lyrics...:teehee:

Mmmm yes, interesting title! :fisch:

some of their lyrics are quite surreal, I can't understand what they meant about Peter Gabriel in Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa: "but this feels so unnatural Peter Gabriel too":blink:

is PG so unnatural? or is it just an idiom? help me understand, please!:biggrin2:

I don't have any idea :dunno:

Someone on UTube said: "its actually a reference to his tune. "Feels so un-natural, Peter Gabriel Tune", or so it says on a music reviewing website lol"

Apparently it's chique to write surreal lyrics atm: MGMT (the kings of non understandable lyrics), Mika, VW... A bit pretentious, if you want to know mho. But I love "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" nevertheless! Am going to their gig in November. :biggrin2:

Atm all good bands are touring, and most of them are coming to Munich: MGMT; VW; Tame Impala; Arcade Fire....

Mika, Imogen H. and few others were here already in the spring.... Sometimes I really love Munich....

But as another fellow MGMT fan wrote: "my wallet is cowering in the corner". :teehee:

we'll never know the real meaning...but it seems that Peter Gabriel has a classy sense of humour! here's his cover of the song (with Hot Chip):biggrin2:

(hope you'll manage to watch it:wink2:)

as regards cities that host live music...I hate Milan, instead! here in Italy most part of international tours stops in Milan, just one date!:aah:

thank God things are changing and Rome (the city I live in) has been visited by so many musicians during last two years: from The Killers to White Lies, Editors, Flo & The Machine, Imogen Heap, Jonsi and Sigur Ròs, The Gossip, Guns n' Roses, and many more! And Mika, of course!:biggrin2: we're waiting for Brandon Flowers (yay!!! I've got my tickets :boing:) and U2/Interpol in october.

I can't complain!

Thanks! Yes P. Gabriel seems to be cool. "It's so unnatural to sing your own name", haha!

But he's a bit of a coward: "Do you want to....." sounds different with Ezra, :teehee:

And: I can understand you are pissed off about Milan. It's the same amount of effort if you have to travel from Rome to Milan as from Rome to any other city in Europe, isn't it? Once the gig isn't in your home town everything gets complicated and expensive... :boxed:

Happy for you seeing B. Flowers! Good looking guy as well!

U2 were just here in Munich. I read in the newspaper: apparently they have a very high tech stage, that costs 20 mil. €! :shocked: And they have 3 of those: one is in use while the other one already gets put together at the next venue and the last one from the gig before that gets disassembled at the last venue. :shocked: And they need 120 trucks to transport those. :shocked: And the tics here in Munich were up to 170 €!!!! :shocked: Thank God we are not hardcore fans, otherwise we could only go to one gig per year or take a credit from the bank :roftl:

Edited by southeast

Yes, it's exactly!

:roftl: that's the reason why I could never afford to be an hardcore fan: no money enough!

:roftl:

I prefer to divide my gig money between different musicians, so I am able to see them all. So I don't have to wait 2 years for the next Mika gig in my hometown. :teehee:

• 4 weeks later...

W.H. Auden

Musée des Beaux Arts

About suffering they were never wrong,

The Old Masters; how well, they understood

Its human position; how it takes place

While someone else is eating or opening a window or just walking dully along;

How, when the aged are reverently, passionately waiting

For the miraculous birth, there always must be

Children who did not specially want it to happen, skating

On a pond at the edge of the wood:

They never forgot

That even the dreadful martyrdom must run its course

Anyhow in a corner, some untidy spot

Where the dogs go on with their doggy life and the torturer's horse

Scratches its innocent behind on a tree.

In Breughel's Icarus, for instance: how everything turns away

Quite leisurely from the disaster; the ploughman may

Have heard the splash, the forsaken cry,

But for him it was not an important failure; the sun shone

As it had to on the white legs disappearing into the green

Water; and the expensive delicate ship that must have seen

Something amazing, a boy falling out of the sky,

had somewhere to get to and sailed calmly on.

:huglove:

• 4 weeks later...

"I don't think I'm a woman yet. I feel more like a boy... In my opinion artists should be androgynous. They must be male and female at the same time, because the male and the female are the same animal.

Movements such as women's lib were definitely a step forward, but they are dogmatic, rigid. Dogmas are barriers for art: when art mixes with the dogmas of politics, of women's liberation, of the church, when art is not 'conceptual' it becomes a manifesto of few people. Art must go beyond, otherwise it's not art anymore. Separating men and women is a mistake. I think men are part of myself, why should you take them away?

It's the same for racial equality. I grew up with black people and I don't see why they would like to be on the same level as white people... the same for gender equality. I don't want to be on the same level as men. Sometimes at a higher level, sometimes at a lower one. I like being their poodle and their queen."

[YOUTUBE]TSW4ONnQfJE[/YOUTUBE]