Mika conquers his growing pains-BBC Ents Exta on Ceefax.

RAK1

This is from the Ceefax pages on BBC tv's teletext.

After leaping onto the world stage with a single bound almost three years ago, Mika became one of the biggest pop stars on the planet

His second album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, is his adolescent album, Mika says.

Adolescent because a second album is an artist's coming of age, he believes.

What's more,while his flair for playful melodies remains, the sugar- coated sound hides a darker side that draws on his troubled teenage years.

"The context of a lot of the storyline is my adolescence", the 26-year old singer says of his new album.

"I made movies in my head and I was a loner. I was a watcher, and there are a lot of references in the album's lyrics about looking from the outside in."

"The boy who knew to much because he always sat around looking at everybody", Mika says. "The stalker".

If his first album contained innocent fairytales, Mika pitches the new songs as gothic Tim Burton-esque fantasies.

The new songs include I See You about "making movies in your head" instead of approaching a potential partner.

Mika says: "You're afraid that you're going to be punched in the face and laughed at, and so you resign yourself to just stalking that person".

"And I think that was a lot of me during my adolescence".

A truly international star, Mika was born in Beruit to Lebanese and American parents, but moved to Paris before landing in London at the age of nine.

When his debut came out, it was a major global hit. In the US though, he became nothing more than a cult star.

Mika himself is wary of putting too much pressure on succeeding in the US.

"There is this stigma that gets put on an artist when they do well all over the world except the States", he says.

"I saw it happen to Robbie (Williams). I saw this whole insane amount of pressure be put on to break America and I think it's unhealthy".

One person watching closely when Mika's first album came out was Lady GaGa, who went on to conquer the charts herself.

"She said she thought, 'okay, the floodgates have opened and mainstream pop music is changing'. She thought she had hope", Mika says.

So after turning his teenage troubles into grist for his new album, would the young Mika approve of his older, famous self?

"Um... the verdicts still out" he replies. " I'm still alive".

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting quote about Lady Gaga, thanks for posting Rose:thumb_yello:

I found it quite by chance.

I was going through the Ents News on the the tv teletext and hit the Extras by accident, and discovered it.

It's taken me a hour to write it out, and double check to make sure I got it down correctly.