Boy Who Knew Too Much review in Rolling Stone magazine

mandilambi

Just thought I'd share since Mika news is always nice, although I am not sure what to think of the actual article.

Glam-pop piano man returns with irrepressible shtick.

"Who gives a damn about the family you come from?/You'll give it up when you're young and you want some," shrieks London glam-popper Mika in "We Are Golden," the lead track on his second album. The song showcases Mika at his irrepressible best, pummeling home a peculiarly British tale of teenage sexual and social-class neurosis with Andrew Lloyd Webber crescendos and a full gospel choir. Mika's faith in the campy excess of Freddie Mercury/Elton John-style pomp pop is bracing. But over the course of an album, the shtick's charm erodes. Producer Greg Well's is an enabler; Mika needs an editor. One thing the guy doesn't know is when to stop. -- Jody Rosen

Edited by mandilambi

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think perhaps if you're not an actual proper fan then you may get a bit tired listening to the album all in one go as I imagine reviewers do, so it probably did seem like a bit too much, but at the end of the day, that's her opinion and it's been given in a pretty unbiased way. It's not necessarily a bad review, just an honest review from someone who doesn't rate him as much as others do.

Fair enough, in my opinion, but completely and utterly wrong. ;)