The Album of the Week: not a Cartoon boy anymore. - 29/09/2012

ängi

So.. I found another article about Mika on Estonian website. Translation may noy be perfect.. =)

http://www.elu24.ee/989454/nadala-plaat-mitte-enam-multikapoiss/

REALLY sorry, I 'm sure it's badly translated, but...

Estonians like Mika! Why? Isn’t just the same repeating electro-pop? It is, but it’s fun and music doesn’t always have to be deep. Surely, Mika has his own point for himself, he just said somewhere, how important this slbum is for him, how it describes falling in love in different phases. As recording to his older albums, but this time an usual listener gets less from it than Mika himself. But it’s very interesting album, Mika does everything in his bubble, that’s the originality. Many songs full of joy and sun. „Celebrate“ is one of them. On of the producers, Pharell, is doing backvocals and sings „…and have fun!“ Mika has become more serious and doesn’t himself behind cartooncharacters, he’s more honest than ever before.

The title track is a lovely introduction to a fairytale, but not the best for the opening song. Opening song should sparkle. Next pop-ones „Lola“ and „Stardust“, second one sounds like an Eurovision song. Mika’s voice is powerful, it’s beautiful to listen his voice jumping from high notes to falsetto and then back. It’s like changing a gear in a car, so Mika is a good driver.

The album also has some songs in French, like „Elle Me Dit“, it’s great change, even if he sings better in english. I think that to a typical Mika fan is not vert impressed about „The Origin Of love“-s „Sleepsongs“, but for sure they get their part from dancingsongs. This time Mika isn’t that pushing as before. When he became a star with „Grace Kelly“, is just didn’t mean usual approval, it meant hard work etc. Mika became to have so many fans, and every fan have expectations, but you can never satisfy all of them.

„Make You Happy“ begins with a slow verse of makin’ someone happy, when at the same time, there is an orchestra on the background. Mika pointed that on „The Origin of Love“ you can hear influences from Fleetwood Mac and Bee Gees and he didn’t lie. Like Janelle Monae and Amy Winehouse recaptured 60-70’s soul and funk, does Mika with popmusic. Though „The Origin of Love“ is covered with modern production, Mika has moved more towards electrical sound, album is full of modern dance music elements, there’s a strong ***kick. They went too far with overproducing Mika’s voice.

„Love You When I’m Drunk“ is abut alcohol, how it blinds people and make them regret their doings. Beginning is promising, lyrical and beautiful. But, the song falters about repeating one verse. But there are surprises: „Step With Me“ takes us to the reggea-funk-world. Unexpectable is also semirapping in „Popular Song“ in which chorus, there is a sample from musical „Wicked“. Talking about surprises: Mika came out of the closet! Of course that media was strategically beneficial, new album made more interest. „The origin of love“ is a proper popmusic and I’m proud of Mika that he tried to break his bonds and didn’t stay to the old same music/sound.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an interesting article, T4P!

Mika’s voice is powerful, it’s beautiful to listen his voice jumping from high notes to falsetto and then back. It’s like changing a gear in a car, so Mika is a good driver.
I love this sentence :wub2::D

„Love You When I’m Drunk“ is abut alcohol, how it blinds people and make them regret their doings.
but I don't agree with this one, I don't think the song is about alcohol

It's an interesting article, T4P!

I love this sentence :wub2::D

but I don't agree with this one, I don't think the song is about alcohol

But we have to remember that it's a foreign interview and Mika's songs are in English. The reading-between-the-lines that we can do if we speak English well, might not be so obvious to a person who's English is limited.

Besides, the song IS about someone getting drunk and kissing someone whom he probably wouldn't kiss when he's sober, so it is about how having too much alcohol can make you do things you might later regret.

anyway, the review was okay.

But we have to remember that it's a foreign interview and Mika's songs are in English. The reading-between-the-lines that we can do if we speak English well, might not be so obvious to a person who's English is limited.

Besides, the song IS about someone getting drunk and kissing someone whom he probably wouldn't kiss when he's sober, so it is about how having too much alcohol can make you do things you might later regret.

anyway, the review was okay.

IMO the song is about being attracted to someone without really loving him (any more)

IMO the song is about being attracted to someone without really loving him (any more)

Yes I agree. But then when he gets drunk he gets affectionate with the guy, and when he's sober he regrets it. He feels, quite rightly, that he's stringing the guy along and giving him false hope.

So in a way, he does still care about the guy and doesn't want to hurt him, but he's just not in love anymore and feels it's best to split up for both their sakes. But the only way to be really honest with the guy, is to not drink. To stay sober and tell him the truth.

That's how I see the song anyway, and I do love the song very much.

Yes I agree. But then when he gets drunk he gets affectionate with the guy, and when he's sober he regrets it. He feels, quite rightly, that he's stringing the guy along and giving him false hope.

So in a way, he does still care about the guy and doesn't want to hurt him, but he's just not in love anymore and feels it's best to split up for both their sakes. But the only way to be really honest with the guy, is to not drink. To stay sober and tell him the truth.

That's how I see the song anyway, and I do love the song very much.

It's one of my favorite tracks as well

I think talking about being drunk and the way he sings it make the song lighter

It's about a break-up (again) :naughty:, so quite a sad situation actually

I do appreciate it! Definitely interesting to see a non-biased view of the album. I don't agree that the songs aren't deep though. Some have very complex meanings.

Thanks for the translation. And from experience, translations are never easy to write!:thumb_yello:

I do appreciate it! Definitely interesting to see a non-biased view of the album. I don't agree that the songs aren't deep though. Some have very complex meanings.

Thanks for the translation. And from experience, translations are never easy to write!:thumb_yello:

I would go further saying that all his songs have a deep meaning :thumb_yello: