Mika, "The ex-cartoon" - El Mundo - article and video in Spanish 3rd October 2012

marian538

Hi!! Mikasister found this for those who can read spanish

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2012/10/02/cultura/1349192983.html

"Con sólo 23 años, Mika se convirtió en una estrella. 'Life in cartoon motion' fue todo un pelotazo en 2007, gracias a canciones de pop redondas, euforizantes, llenas de azúcar y estribillos alegres. Aquel chico tímido, pero ambicioso, se embarcó entonces en una vorágine de conciertos por todo el mundo. Estuvo cuatro años sin parar, en los que aprovechó para publicar 'The boy who knew too much' (2009).

Hacía tiempo que no se sabía nada de este libanés residente en Londres, más allá de algunas actuaciones esporádicas (la última en España, en el festival Low Cost del verano pasado), hasta que a principios de agosto declaró públicamente en una entrevista que era gay.

Ahora publica su tercer disco, 'The origin of love', un trabajo en el que confiesa haber dado un salto adelante a nivel sonoro. "Hubo un momento en el que tuve que plantearme si asumir riesgos o seguir siendo una caricatura de mí mismo. Quería evolucionar, quería crecer". Así es como se ha aliado con el rapero Pharrell Williams, con el grupo de rock electrónico australiano Empire Of The Sun y con los productores Nick Littlemore, frYars y Benny Benassi.

También en las letras dice Mika que ha madurado. "Por primera vez he empezado a hablar en primera persona y he dejado de esconderme detrás de personajes imaginarios y dibujos animados". Las canciones del disco pueden escucharse como un diario íntimo del artista, que expone sin tapujos su nueva relación amorosa."

It has also a video, I will try to translate this part, and if you want me to do the video too I will try later, but later-later, coz I can't now :aah: , OK?

ENJOY!!

“ With only 23 years old, Mika became a star. LICM was a big success, in 2007, thanks to great, euphoric songs full of sugar and happy refrains. That shy guy, but ambitious, started a hurly-burly(??) world tour. He didn’t stop for 4 years, in which he published TBWKTM (2009).

The Lebanese born, with his official residence in London, was MIA for a while, beyond some sporadic performances (the last one in Spain in the Low Cost Festival last summer), since august, when he announce in an interview that he was gay.

Now publishes his third album, TOOL, a work in which he confesses to have taken a leap forward in his sound. “There was a time when I had to decide if I had to take risks or remain a caricature of myself. I wanted to develop my sound, I wanted to grow”. That’s how he made an alliance with the rapper Pharell Williams, with the Australian electronic band Empire of the Sun and with the producers Nick Littlemore, frYars and Benny Benassi.

We can see by his lyrics that he has grow up. “For the first time I started to speak about myself and I stopped hidden behind imaginary characters and cartoons”. The album’s songs can be listened as the artist private diary, where he exposes his new relationship”.

Edited by marian538

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi!! Mikasister found this for those who can read spanish

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2012/10/02/cultura/1349192983.html

"Con sólo 23 años, Mika se convirtió en una estrella. 'Life in cartoon motion' fue todo un pelotazo en 2007, gracias a canciones de pop redondas, euforizantes, llenas de azúcar y estribillos alegres. Aquel chico tímido, pero ambicioso, se embarcó entonces en una vorágine de conciertos por todo el mundo. Estuvo cuatro años sin parar, en los que aprovechó para publicar 'The boy who knew too much' (2009).

Hacía tiempo que no se sabía nada de este libanés residente en Londres, más allá de algunas actuaciones esporádicas (la última en España, en el festival Low Cost del verano pasado), hasta que a principios de agosto declaró públicamente en una entrevista que era gay.

Ahora publica su tercer disco, 'The origin of love', un trabajo en el que confiesa haber dado un salto adelante a nivel sonoro. "Hubo un momento en el que tuve que plantearme si asumir riesgos o seguir siendo una caricatura de mí mismo. Quería evolucionar, quería crecer". Así es como se ha aliado con el rapero Pharrell Williams, con el grupo de rock electrónico australiano Empire Of The Sun y con los productores Nick Littlemore, frYars y Benny Benassi.

También en las letras dice Mika que ha madurado. "Por primera vez he empezado a hablar en primera persona y he dejado de esconderme detrás de personajes imaginarios y dibujos animados". Las canciones del disco pueden escucharse como un diario íntimo del artista, que expone sin tapujos su nueva relación amorosa."

It has also a video, I will try to translate this part, and if you want me to do the video too I will try later, but later-later, coz I can't now :aah: , OK?

ENJOY!!

Thanks for posting! Translation of the video at some point would be great... what's wrong with subtitles? :sneaky2:

Thanks for posting! Translation of the video at some point would be great... what's wrong with subtitles? :sneaky2:

Hahahaha maybe because it's a spanish newspaper, and they couldn't even imagine Mikafans from other places of the world would be watching this, I guess :aah:

Hahahaha maybe because it's a spanish newspaper, and they couldn't even imagine Mikafans from other places of the world would be watching this, I guess :aah:

Yeah... I know... I'm spoilt, being from the Netherlands. We always have subtitles, except maybe for shows aimed at children that can't read yet, but I don't watch those anyway.

• 2 months later...

Translation of the video :wink2:

The other night I went straight to a restaurant and ate so much that I couldn't sleep until 3 or 4am. I like pretty much singing in the center of the cities, I feel much better like that, cause most of the times, when you go working, you're in the hotels, you're in the studios, but you don't put a foot in the city. I like people in Spain pretty much, it's a nice audience. It usually happens mith Spanish public, they are always laughing, dancing, singing during the show, it's something that makes you feel with oretty much energy.

I've spent almost a year and a half not writting. I've tried, but what came out was lame, it wasn't worth it at all. I had nothing, wlle, there were some things that could be intelligent, but it was actually nothing. I thinkg that the problem is that I didn't have enough life inside of me. What you feel when you're very happy or the other way round, when you're very angry, nothing of that was happening to me. Everything was much more flat. I think that that is the result of being touring for almost 4 years and a half. During all that time, you've got a feeling of lost of team. Before, you were used to be working as a team in the studio, making that kind of music, everybody involved in it just because of the pleasure of music. All that was gone.

I had to stop and think, well, this is the most important thing in my career, if I don't do anything really fresh, I'm gonna turn into a cartoon of myself. And if I do a cartoon of myself, that's it, I'm absolutely lost in my career. So I thought that if that wasn't good enough, I was screwed. Life sometimes goes like that. Things changed, I had a woke up. My sister had that terrible accident. And suddenly I started feeling something like life, like I had something to say. My sister became some kind of monster, I barely knew who she was (dunno there if he didn't know or she didn't know actually), sha had lost the mobility of her body, she had turned into an angry and sad creature. And all of the sudden, the proccess of writting songs is different. I guess I wanted to write something truly real, something that gave me reasons to still be there on stage in this crazy world. I had something to write, I had to run away.

(Now he speaks Spanish.)

I can speak in a restaurant, in a bar, to ask for thing very easily, but to comment is much more difficult. But it's something that's very important. I knew it before (and here I don't know for sure what he was trying to say, he literally said that he knew it before he's written a song for the 3rd album).

I didn't want to be a cartoon of Mika. Like, you know, a cartoon like Peter Pan. But at the same time I wanna make an album that has a lot of fantasy, a lot of color, a lot of things, but that talks about like, about my life, about my perspective, a 28 years old guy with a lot of freedom. (Now back to English.) I guess it's som sort of statement of liberty, about life my life, or other people life, after all, all lives are the same, mine or other people's. It was about evolving, stop hiding myself behind cartoons, I wanted to be there in first person.