2008-09 Mikasounds.com Blogs Reconstructed

dcdeb

Totally random... but I was reading the thread on "Mika is Missing" a while ago and it made me think of how way back in 2008, when we were waiting (and waiting... and waiting...) for the second album, Mika started blogging frequently, almost every day. There were lots of video blogs, which you might have seen, and also lots of written text and images, which you might not have, since the old version of mikasounds.com is long gone. I started to poke around here on MFC and I can't find most of the text or images, aside from those I saved at the time, and lots of the links to the vlogs have expired. @Kumazzz (Eriko) has uploaded all of the vlogs on vk.com, but not everyone can access that, so I thought I'd compile as much of the old blogs as I could here in one place -- basically reconstructing what the old site had on it, preserved for posterity.

I've tried to add in the artwork/photos/videos wherever I could, but I'm still missing some. Where I couldn't find the video on youtube or somewhere easily accessible, I've included the vk.com link from Eriko, with the thought that I'll upload them to our YouTube account as I can (if she doesn't mind!). LMK if you have anything to contribute.

This post starts with the July 2008 vlogs/blogs -- the following posts have later entries. 

Hello from Mika

Welcome to the new Mika website, click here to go to the old one.

Hello everyone, MIKA’s first stadium show at the Parc de Prince is sold out, the only way you can get any tickets is here.

If you want to win the chance to win 4 pairs and tickets, one night accommodation and travel enter your email and country location here.

Good Luck!  MIKA SOUNDS

Competition now closed.

LOUBOUTIN

Rehearsals

MIKA, Parc Des Princes gallery

Here’s some pics from the show on Friday, it was fun!

MIKASOUNDS.

2008-07-parc-des-princes1.jpg

Michael Stipe and Mika in Belgium

Watch the video of Mika and Michael stipe from this weekend in Belgium.

Mika, Parc Des Princes Interview on France 2

MIKA, Parc Des Princes Lollipop Live

Check out Mika’s interview (in French) on Virgin 17 and the Lollipop live from the show itself!

WESTERPARK, AMSTERDAM

Check out exclusive backstage fun from Mika’s show at Westerpark.

HOTEL NOWHERE

AIX LES BAINS

https://vk.com/video232312753_456240068

YO! MIKA BLOG 14th JULY 2008

Bonjour Bonjour!

Nearly two weeks into my summer festival run and here is my long overdue B.L.O.G!

I’m currently sitting on my tour bus driving through the wine country in Bordeaux on my way to my gig tonight in Arcachon.  Eating burnt microwave popcorn (courtesy of my sister Yasmine) and carrying out my newly found steaming ritual, (a la Celine Dion!), life’s is pretty sweet, odd but sweet.  From my bunk on the top floor of my bus the weather looks perfect.  I just spent last night in a ridiculously grand Chateau in Cognac.  With a bathroom more grand than Elton John’s in-house chapel and grounds the size of a small park, it was a totally amazing way to spend a day off. Making a Vid Blog about it now, check it out in a couple hours. 

Talking of weather, I’ve been hearing reports of a monsoon season back in London. Bleak! Well the weather turned on us too the other night at Aix Les Bains.  However, I’ve got to hand it to everybody there; you were completely amazing.  Despite the torrential rain, the other night felt like one of the funnest shows we’ve ever done.  Thank you to everyone there, it was a total pleasure.  Check out our Vid Blog on that night  that we’ve just put up.

Back to my bus for a second!  I have a TV in my toilet with a Michael Flately DVD on constant repeat.  Try as we have, we just can’t figure out how to stop it.  Apparently this bus was last used on his tour.

Looking back on the last two weeks I have to mention Wechter Rocks in Belgium. It BLEW us away how many people came along to see us in SUCH horrific weather! That black cloud loomed over us in seconds! But once again you guys made the most of the bleak conditions holding up tarpaulins to shield each other from the rain! Seems like our cover of Depeche Mode’s ‘Just Can’t Get Enough’ is going down a treat too. I didn’t realise how ingrained that song had become in peoples minds!

I cannot describe to you how incredible my show at Parc de Princes felt but anyone who was there would have guessed by the smile on my face. My team and I put in so much effort and it all paid off. What a night! I am so proud of what we accomplished and can’t wait to evolve these ideas in future. It is incredible to see your ideas blown up to that scale for the first time.

Big thank you to Kanye West for his nice words about my Paris gig on his blog the other day. Been watching you too Kanye! But you know that already J

Thank you all for travelling from far and wide to see the show. I met fans from Uruguay, Japan and America. It still astounds me how far you guys travel! How do you blag time off work? I hope the show was everything you expected and more.

I’ve been bumping into some pretty incredible people at the festivals and was lucky enough to watch Beck play in Lisbon on Thursday. What a talented guy. Christiano Ronaldo walked past me in my hotel.  My crew tell me that’s a big deal.  Hope you’re all liking our “on the road” films we’ve been making.  There are loads more to come!

I’ve got 2 more weeks of touring coming up including my gig in Beirut on the 27th.  I’m hugely looking forward to playing in Lebanon and couldn’t think of a better way to end this summer run. 

Keep on checking out my blog/holding page mikasounds.com for daily updated Pics, Video Blogs and other stuff whilst we work on the full new website. 

Gotta go, I smell popcorn!

Mika X

ARCACHON

https://vk.com/video232312753_456240070

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• dcdeb changed the title to 2008-09 Mikasounds.com Blogs

NIMES, MIKA BLOG!

Check out where we performed last night! 

A roman ampitheatre in Nimes, France

screenshot_7-400x218.png

It was quite honestly the most beautiful venue we’ve ever performed in.  Gonna find some pics of the night and post them up for you.  Felt like a gladiator! My Bassist Mikey on the other hand, felt like an emperor.

On my way to Geneva now, making plans for my concert in Martyr’s Square in Beirut while on the Bus. Desperately begging my Inflatable makers in London to get as much done in time for the gig on the 27th.  Who ever thought a seven foot ice cream could be such drama!

Mx

JIM WOODRING, MIKA BLOG!

Many of you may already know that I always go on about cult comic artist Jim Woodring.  I am indeed a huge fan and I thought that I would post up a couple images to show why.  Woodring lives and works in Seattle. His surreal images stem from his childhood hallucinations and I find his beautiful sense of whimsey completely addictive! This man is self taught, dropped out of a college degree in art history and even worked as a garbage man for a few years.  

He is a complete visual Icon of mine. Check it out…

screenshot_1-303x400.png

screenshot_2-285x400.png

screenshot_3-400x286.png

screenshot_4.png

jim-woodring-frank.jpg

The screenshots above are from Jim’s website www.jimwoodring.com and are of his character FRANK. Frank is Woodring’s most famous character.  Its the mix of Frank’s naivety and total lack of innocence which really grab’s me.  If you like the pics, check out the website for more info.  

M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!M!x!

NOW CAM; 115km from GENEVA

Here is the first of my NOW CAM posts.  This is where I’ll post up quick snaps from wherever I am.  Check out me blogging and the view from the window of my bus! FASCINATING!!!

Mx

now-cam-12-400x300.jpg

now-cam11-400x300.jpg

now-cam-1.jpg

BENICASSIM

GENEVA, MIKA BLOG!

ITS SO EXPENSIVE!

Very pretty though I must say. I’m starting to feel pressured into buying a watch since I stumble on to them at every other shop! It must just be where my hotel is located.  However just looking at the prices is enough to make your eyes water. I got one at the brits, its expensive and nice and free. Other than that I’ll stick to plastic… looking forward to PALEO tonight

screenshot_31.png

screenshot_41.png

screenshot_5.png

screenshot_9.png

tetris watch photo by Sarah Gerke

THE TROUSERS! MIKA BLOG!

So, looking back on the Benicassim trousers…

benicassim-0718-08.jpg

Do I regret them?

No fu**in way! LOL love em.

M! x

BIG GIRLS FOR BEIRUT!

screenshot_21.png

YO!!

We are looking for volunteers who would be willing to take part in my show in Beirut on the 27th of JULY and dance on stage with us in full BIG GIRL costume.  

If you think you are suitable to dance as a Big Girl and are willing to let your hair down and have a blast on stage then send an email with the following details;

1. Your name and age

2. A picture of your self

3. Your basic clothing measurements (for the costume)

4. Your contact details (email and phone number)

5. Last but not least! Why you want to take part!

SEND EMAIL TO; hala.cabbabe@mtvlebanon.com

PLEASE NOTE; You do not have to already possess a ticket for the show, however must already be in Beirut on the night of the gig. Entrants must be 16 or over.

LES FRANCOFOLIES

LES CHAMPS ELYSEES

NOW CAM! JORDAN 7:14PM

Hey, heres the view from the dressing room near where I’m performing tonight.  Just took a dip in the dead sea and of course did the ritual “covering yourself head to toe in mud”, a la Cleopatra.  Tootaly weird, disgusting and amazing all at the same time.  Mad a little blog on it, will post it up when its ready!

dsc00146-400x300.jpg

dsc00143-400x300.jpg

dsc00142-400x300.jpg

BRIDGE BOPPING!

https://vk.com/video232312753_456240080

THE SECRET GARDEN

BEIRUT & MATHEW WILLIAMSON! MIKA BLOG!

Marhaba everybody from my hotel room in Beirut!

Apologize for not having posted anything earlier, to be quite honest its been a bit of a crazy day!  Arrived in Beirut this PM after almost missing my flight from Jordan.  Arrived and went straight to a press conference where I got swallowed up for a couple hours.  

Just returned now from eating probably a third of the fish in the Mediterranean!  Fried, grilled, baked! The lot! At this amazing restaurant on the water. Its so good to be back in Beirut, I’m loving every second of it! 

Check out my friend Mathew Williamson’s shop window in London.  You all know how keen I am for anything based on the circus! Mathew recently made a beautiful jacket for the opening of my Paris show at Parc Des Princes.  Check out the window, its lurvelly!!

screenshot_12.png

dsc_0754.jpg

dsc_0715.jpg

dsc_0726.jpg

Gonna try and go to sleep now, once I freak out on the man next door to me at my hotel, who seems to be playing music louder than I do at my gig!! fff*&%$£$£^£^%ing hell!!!!!!!!

MXXXXX!!!XXXXXXX!!!!XXXXX

BEIRUT! MIKA BLOG!

Oh my God, what can I say. I am quite speachless. The gig in Beirut tonight was truly one of the best moments of my life.  I want to thank everybody in Beirut who came to the concert.  This was a true honor. Thank you. 

The crowd was electric, the weather was perfect and quite possibly the loudest singing crowd I have ever heard. The show was at Martyrs Square, in central Beirut for about 15,000. An event like this has not been allowed to happen for a very long time. And tonight the audience owned it.

This is how it ended

screenshot_83.png

More to come..!

Mx

NEW SHOES! MIKA BLOG!

I just GOT NEW SHOES, literally 5 mins ago! Louboutin has just dropped off some amazing new shoes for the show tonight in Beirut. They are made with reflective hologram real leather! Thats never been used before for making shoes. HA HA! So spoiled, but fun! check it out…

louboutin-beirut.jpg

Mxx

LOVE LOVE AMELIA'S MAGAZINE! MIKA BLOG!

Am sitting in my hotel room having woken up at horrifically late, 2pm to be exact (HA! love it!).  Im on mute mode, once again doing a Celine, and not talking until my show tonight.  Anyway, I want to introduce you to an amazing magazine that some may have already heard of.

This Mag is always a source of inspiration for me. And I know that you would love it.  It is the ONLY mag that I have a yearly subscription to. It is simply brilliant.  Its called Amelia’s Magazine.  Check out some of the images below from the current and past covers.  Also look at the USB stick ALBUM they gave away for free in the last issue.  GENIUS simply GENIUS. Illustration, music, art, fashion, commentary… but really its the perfect art direction that makes it what it is.

screenshot_14.png

screenshot_23.png

screenshot_73.png

screenshot_33.png

screenshot_51.png

screenshot_43.png

screenshot_61.png

www.ameliasmagazine.com

Mxxxx

ART! MIKA BLOG!

ok, still can’t sleep…

So, I thought I would share with you two artists that I am really rating at the moment.  Both artists are similar in that they use found bits of used plastic as their medium.  Everything from disused bleach bottles to beach slippers are used to create amazing images with striking color palettes.  The two artsists are David Batchelor and John Dahlsen.  As you know I am a bit of a Capatain Plastic Fantastic and so you can see why I find these images below so mouth watering.  AND THEY ARE GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT! take that greenies! Check out the images and their websites for more info.  Saw a great mini doc on David Batchelor a while ago, will try and find it for you guys as well.

PS imagine decorating a whole set for a gig in the style of the image below! YUMMM!

DAVID BATCHELOR PICS;

screenshot_13.png

screenshot_22.png

screenshot_42.png

screenshot_32.png

JOHN DAHLSEN PICS;

screenshot_82.png

screenshot_72.png

LINKS

www.johndahlsen.com

www.inglebygallery.com/artists (then look for David Batchelor)

Mxxx

NOW CAM! 7:14 AM Going to the pool!!

Got back from a brilliant night at the Sky Bar a couple hours ago.  A really good looking night club right on the water in the Biel area of Beirut.  Another amazing fireworks display awaited us there when we arrived, all synchronised to house music! AMAZING. Stayed up a couple hours with some of my close friends, chocking on whiskey and green tea and am now writing to you in a bathing suit about to go down to the pool which has just opened 4 mins ago! 

This is the view from my balcony where we are all sitting. My first legal white night in 4 weeks. Its lurvely!

beirut-balcony.jpg

Spk in a bit.

MXXXX

THE DEAD SEA

Arthur Ganson! MIKA BLOG!

Check out these two videos from American artist Arthur Ganson. What attracts me to this self trained enignere/artist is how he manages to create emotional and often quite philosophical works with nothing more than metal and what he calls, “retrotechnology”. He is a bit of magician to me. Taking the most simple things and making the come to life so beautifully. Check it out.

Mxxx!
www.arthurganson.com

I’M BEING A FOOL PLS HELP!

This is probably the most un cool thing you can do, however can someone please comment with instructions as to how you register/log in on to the blog IN ORDER to COMMENT!? I for one can’t figure it out, those of you who already have, you are clearly geniuses, so pleazze enlighten us!

:)
Mx

GIANT BIG GIRL LEGS

Just found this picture on my phone of one of the rehearsals for the Paris 4th of July gig. Each of these inflatable legs are enormous (25-30m tall!). Look at the size of the people standing on the stage to get sense of scale. The Image below that is the original sketch that Es Devlin sent to my mobile phone for approval, (I guess she figured out how much I avoid my email).

Mx

mika-paris-big-girl-legs-2.jpg

paris-big-girl-legs-zoom-in.png

big-girl-sketch-2.png

WONDER PETS!

screenshot_34.png

This is a new programme from Nick Junior. The “Junior” bit truly worries me as it clearly means that this is meant for children aged around 4, however I am completely entranced by it. It is so charming and weird. The story lines are banal and its stuffed with totally dull ‘educational’ moments, but I can’t stop watching it. Firstly the character and production design is suitably adorable but also interesting. Animated with a mixture of computer animation, real film and photo collage, its fresh and familiar. But most notable of all is the music. Each episode is almost through-composed. Its almost like an operreta! Think fully orchestrated classical style music with opera-like dialogue that is sung in children’s voices. Strange or what!?! Anyway, if this happens to be on a television near you, watch it! I don’t think its necessary to buy the entire series like I did :0) but its worth having a look if your into this sort of stuff. I think it makes a really nice change from all the Teletubby spin offs that have been made recently, including “In The Midnight Garden”, which is like 6 unsubstantial children’s shows crammed into 1 confusing 20 mins.

You must think I am mad, but this stuff really does fascinate me! If you’ve ever seen this show, what do you think? drives you mad/love it?

wonder-pets-1-400x297.png

wonder-pets-2-400x297.png

wonder-pets-3-400x300.png

wonder-pets-4-400x299.png

Mxxxx

(all images copyright Nick Jr)

Psycho Buildings at the HAYWARD GALLERY LONDON!

screenshot_24-400x271.png

If you live in London or anywhere near, there is an exhibition that is totally unmissable. Its called psycho buildings and its on at the Hayward Gallery, on the South Bank till the 25th of August. It consists of loads of instilations where different artists present their take on architecture. It also includes some of my favorite contemporary artists such as Rachel Whiteread and Korean artists Do-Ho Suh. Although some of the works in the exhibition border on gimmick, it is worth it. Check out some of the images below.

This is by Do-Ho Suh.  Many of you may know my obsession with miniatures.  Suh is a master.  In this sculpture, his childhood Korean house collides into an American appartment building.  Representing the culture clash he himself experienced.  

do-ho-suh-1-398x400.png

do-ho-suh-2-274x400.png

And Rachel Whiteread’s dollhouse village.

whiteread-1-400x397.png

screenshot_15.png

I was reminded of the image above when walking outside the Jeita caves yesterday.  One hour outside Beirut, the Jeita caves could end up being added to the Wonders of the World list.  6 km in length and up to a 1000 m tall they are quite jaw dropping.  However you do get very dizzy from the lack of Oxygen!

www.jeitagrotto.com

Anyway, walking around outside I spotted something that was done on the hillside near the entrance to the grotto, which was very similar to the Whiteread instillation. This was probably done twenty years ago.  SO WEIRD how similar these two images are.  It really made me smile. Check it out.

beirut-doll-house-2-400x300.jpg

beirut-dollhouse-1-400x300.jpg

Mxxx

MARINE SHIRT! OKAY OKAY I ADMIT IT!

OKAY FINE! Many of you may have already noticed the constantly reappearing French marine top that I seem to be wearing ALL THE TIME. Its cuz I kind of am! I love it, its simple, its easy and seems to avoid ever being under or over dressed.  There you go that’s why. Oh and also its nautical which I love, although I hate the sea, cuz it scares me. ok? ok. 

Oh PS if the shop that I bought quite a lot of stuff from in Ille De Re (La Rochelle) happen to see this, would you mind sending me some stuff, for free perhaps this time?

What?

It never hurts to ask! lol

screenshot_44.png

MX

Thank YOU!

Want to say thank you to everyone for all their amazing and often really funny and interesting comments. I think people are getting the idea of this blog now. Love hearing what people think of the artists, shows, mags, etc. that I put up.  Really cool, to THANK YOU.

Mxxxx

PS just want to share a comment I read earlier written in response to my Marine shirt (blag free stuff) post. It made me laugh;

“I went to the boulangerie this morning and told them that since I buy a baguette every day, I would like a free one. They said NO and now they think I’m crazy.  But I thought it was ‘worth a try‘. “

I think you may have a point there….

screenshot_52.png

• Like 1

TO-FU DOLL

THEO JANSEN, BMW COMMERCIAL

Here is another kinetic artist ( artist who makes moving sculptures). Watch this BMW commercial, its really beautiful. All the sculptures you see in this add are powered only by wind. What makes them beautiful is how gracefully they move. The same could be said for Arthur Ganson’s whishbone sculpture.

Mxxx

What happens when you put a Mentos in a Diet Coke???

This is crazy, apparantly this got quite famous but i haven’t seen it till today. This entire “show” was done only by dropping Mentos into Diet Coke bottles. MENTAL

Mxxx

PRE-SHOW MUSIC PART 1

Many of you have been asking about the music I play in my video blogs. Some songs you will have heard being played before my gigs but others are artists I have discovered over the past year or two. I’ll leave you with some links below and some of their best videos to occupy your weekend. Enjoy!

Of Montreal - http://www.ofmontreal.net

Beirut - http://www.myspace.com/beruit

ALSO:
The National - http://www.myspace.com/thenational
MGMT - http://www.myspace.com/mgmt
Beck - http://www.modernguilt.com
Arcade Fire - http://www.myspace.com/arcadefireofficial

LASTLY:
Nellie Mckay - http://www.myspace.com/prettylittlehead
A singer-songwriter from NYC that I have been playing for a year and a half. A great secret anywhere outside the US! Check out her song ‘David’ below.

M xxxx

WHERE IN THE WORLD? 1

Yo!

So the tour has ended but the blog HAS NOT!! HA! It goes on. After my last gig I took couple days off before heading back into the studio tomorrow afternoon. The blog is sort of turning into an online sketch book and a lot more fun than I ever thought it would be. AND I have a new idea.

As I get to travel to a load of different areas, I thought it would be fun to post up a couple pictures of a mystery place and have people guess exactly where I am.

The first person to comment the correct location will get sent an item that I picked up on my travels. Please note these aren’t big-ass sponsored gifts, but more like a some sort of small object or memento that I found interesting and bought myself.

Remember that email addresses must be entered in the comment field in order to for us to get back to you! Oh, and it doesn’t matter where you live.

SO..!

Here is the first “Where in the world!” HA! its like a Blue Peter segment from the 1960s! lol Love it!

Hasta Luego!

Besos

Mxxxx

witw1-400x300.jpg

witw12-400x300.jpg

witw13.jpg

OK this one is kinda hard…

Good luck!

ANSWER: Apamea, Syria

PLEASE NOTE: The winner is actually CAROLINE, who was the first to post the correct answer at 7:08 pm (see comments below).  Apologies to LEA who posted Palmyra at 6:45 pm, this was in fact wrong. 

Justine and Yvonne, Disciples of POP 1 (Guest Bloggers)

dsc001983-400x300.jpg

Hello from Justine and Yvonne (I’m on the left!): here we greet you, introduce ourselves, and explain our presence on Mika’s blog. We are both post-graduate disciples of pop music. For the past four years we have been investigating the relationship between globalisation, popular music, and intrinsic happiness. As school teachers in New York City, this hobby has ballooned into a quest to better understand the nation-sweeping sensations who, at times, educate our students better than we can.

Last winter we were travelling through Miami, researching our latest article on Jennifer Lopez’s “Waiting for Tonight: Echoes of Samuel Beckett in Popular Temporality,” when we met the delightful Mika who was preparing for a show.  Our brains were scrambled by the carnival of technicolor, beastial, fire-cracking, celestial astronauts.  We were almost thrown off-course by the Big Girls in their tulle parade, but we stuck to our guns and resolved to seek out Mika.

After muscling our way backstage, we chased down the global sensation and finally met up with the well-coifed chanteur. After introducing ourselves as two American étudiantes de pop, we excitedly explained ourselves to Mika, hoping that he could give first-hand credence to our developing documentary piece, “MIKA: Life in Cartoon Emotion and the Twenty-Second Century Emoticon.” The singer seemed uncertain at first but, after a few hours of chatting, he was kind enough to provide us an outlet for our observations on this lovely blog. In truth we thought he was a freak and he thought we were retarded. Never has a friendship been based upon firmer foundations.

In upcoming posts, we will be exploring the lyrics of Ms. Katy Perry and Rihanna. Expect to find forecasts of Timberlake/Usherian duets (ie. Brandy and Monica revisited), analyses of Chris Brown’s imagery in the “Forever” video, and other such esoteric questions about Duffy. If you have suggestions, feedback, or criticism, please contact us at _______. We may be teachers, but we’re also learners. Always.

Relax; take it easy, well be back later this week.

Justine and Yvonne 

MIKASOUNDS BLOG, the round-up!

Hey guys.

Just want to let you know a little bit about what I have planned for my blog. As you know I am developing a new website. The new website will not just be about what is happening with my music but will be  a representation of things that I find interesting, from music and art, to people and popcorn. 

As part of this I have chosen other people who I find funny or interesting to contribute on a weekly or monthly basis. This is all under my umbrella and all edited by me. Consider it kind of like my own online magazine or sketch book. In future these blogs will be separated and categorized but for now they all on here together. I will obviously be posting regularly, even daily, but there will be other stuff to, from collaborations with my painter sister DaWack to other artists and writers like Justine and Yvonne. Hopefully, lots to bite into! 

Mxxx

VALENTIN! MIKA BLOG!

screenshot_3.png

A few weeks ago a friend of mine gave me a DVD as a gift. When I told him I had never heard of it, a triumphant smirk came over his face. Now I know why. I loved this film, everything about it.

screenshot_1.png

Valentin is an 8 year old boy who lives with his grandmother.  Set in Argentina in the late 60s before man landed on the moon. He dreams of becoming an astronaut. He was abandoned by his mother at an early age and now hardly gets to see his dad. Then there is his uncle, the alcoholic neighbour, the father’s beautiful ex girlfriend and of course his grandmother, all of whom are laden with their own problems, Valentin being one of them. His solitary position gives him a wisdom and perspective. Out his need to be loved and secure, he creates allegiances, manipulates the adults and even get them to fall in love. Through him you realise that it is the experiences of childhood which shape the man you become and Valentin will not allow himself to become the adults he sees around him.

This is touching mainly because the story is told without an ounce of Hollywood sentimentality. Its really a gem and I can’t recommend it highly enough.

The trailer below is in Spanish but the URL beneath it should take you to the English version, as I unable to embed it.

OR IN ENGLISH
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlCHeXn6MbI&feature=related

Mxxx

PLASTIC MAN!

WOW look what I got sent. LOL love it!

screenshot_8.png

Mxxx

COOL BAGS

There are some objects that are so banal and part of our daily life that I totally ignore them. However when designers challenge the way that I look at something, it gives me this tingle of excitement. Its like another layer or perspective is revealed.  

I have always been obsessed with packaging, hence why my sister and I work so closely on all the packaging for my music. Although I will admit to often buying things only because of the packaging. Even if its some embarrassing woman’s product that I would never ever use! LOL

I came across these bags by accident on the Internet the other day and loved them. Check em out

cool-bag-1.png

cool-bag-2.png

cool-bag-3.png

cool-bag-4.png

Mxxx

WHAT I’M LOOKING AT TODAY… Alan Aldridge

aldridge-1.png

Most of you may already know this artist but I want to post it up because I never seem to get bored of his art. He was made uber famous by his work with The Beatles. Aldridge visually defined a generation and although he wasn’t the only one doing art in this style, he was deff one one of the more significant. Just bought an old copy of his book The Beatles Illustrated Lyrics today and thought I’d share.  Oh, and I found out he has a major retrospective coming up at the Design Museum in London in the fall. Can’t wait. 

alan-aldridge.png

aldridge-2-377x399.pngaldridge-3.pngaldridge-4.pngaldridge-5.pngaldrige-6.png

Mxxx

WELCOME TO SYRIA

DANCING BED!

ICE CREAM

PLAYING WITH LIGHT

Hey guys, hope you’ve been enjoying my video blogs from my trip in the middle east. Gotta tell you its a welcome distraction putting together these videos whilst working in the studio!

This one was done in the entrance to this enormous fort in Syria, called Crack De Chevalier. Don’t ask me about the origin of that name, I have NO idea! I was to busy doing this whilst my guide was storming on ahead.

Guides and I generally = a very dangerous combination! For some reason they always seem to hate me or more precisely, quit. I guess if you were a 60 year old professor and you saw me doing what I was doing in the vlog below instead of listening, you wouldnt exactly be to into it.

Oh well, I left the castle ignorant but happy.

Hope you like the vid!

Mxxx

CHARLES BUKOWSKI

screen-capture-3.png

A friend of mine recently introduced me to the work of a well-known poet and novelist, Charles Bukowski. Far from what I’d expect from a poet, I found his work accessible and full of humour.

Whenever I read Bukowski’s poems I am dragged down by his morose tone. But towards the end he injects a humour that makes me smile. The honesty in his writing is both painful and refreshing to read.

In particular I have grown fond of ‘The Tragedy of the Leaves.’ Take a read below and let me know what you think. I think the plants are meant to represent life – growing and achieving. He’s comparing himself to the dead plants.

Whilst I’m not saying this guy is a role-model, I do think he carved out some fascinating work from his unique perspective on life and many people can relate to this. I can almost find similarities in Bukowski’s writing to the way song lyrics are written.  The images and emotions are accessible and everyday, but the meanings are very profound. Even if they are are often on the depressing side… Check it out.

PS, doesn’t the drawing above look like an early Mr. Men??

Mxx

screen-capture-4.png

the tragedy of the leaves

I awakened to dryness and the ferns were dead,
the potted plants yellow as corn;
my woman was gone
and the empty bottles like bled corpses
surrounded me with their uselessness;
the sun was still good, though,
and my landlady’s note cracked in fine and
undemanding yellowness; what was needed now
was a good comedian, andcient style, a jester
with jokes upon absurd pain; pain is absurd
because it exists, nothing more;
I shaved carefully with an old razor
the man who had once been young and
said to have genius; but
that’s the tragedy of the leaves,
the dead ferns, the dead plants;
and I walked into a dark hall
where the landlady stood
execrating and final,
sending me to hell,
waving her fat, sweaty arms
and screaming
screaming for rent
because the world has failed us
both.

WHAT I’M LOOKING AT TODAY; MARCEL DZAMA

tatoo.png

If I was to get a tattoo it would probably be a character by Marcel Dzama. Some of you may already know of him from his album cover for Beck’s Guerro. He is a truly original artist from Canada who tends to merge and mutate people and animals creating something in between the two. His creatures are terrifying and adorable at the same time.

It is because marcel Dzama’s characters are not quite human that they are able to do strange things. From the playful and violent to the sexual, yet still get away with it.  I was always turned off by art history as a student.  I felt it was time that could be spent drawing or experimenting instead of writing essays about long gone art heroes.  Now however, I wish I could put more knowledgeable words to describe what some art makes me feel. I guess you could call this art surreal. All I know for sure is that even if his work is dark or sad its always playful and draws me in.  

Mxxxx

marcel-dzama-11.pngmarcel-dzama-13.pngmarcel-dzama-14.pngmarcel-dzama-15.pngmarcel-dzama-16.png

FLYING TREE OF LIFE

Here’s another one of Es Devlin’s design sketches. This was also done for the Paris 4th of July show.

During my cover of “Just Can’t Get Enough” my singer Saranayde put on an enormous dress and started to fly up high into the air, as her dress beneath her kept getting bigger and bigger.  The Idea was that Saranayde and my other singer Sam Smith (one being bigger than the other…) were having an argument about each other’s size.  Saranayde feeling small then flies up and swarms the stage with this costume.  In the end she ended up bigger than everything around her.

I don’t know if all of that came across on the night!! Hopefully it will be a lot clearer on the DVD that we are making.  The original design however, included a headress that was suposed to be reflective of the tree of life on the Happy Ending Single art work (shown below).  The headress was such a headache to get made. My mother had to send someone off to India a week before the show to get it done in time. The worst part of it is, that in the end it was to heavy to even be worn! At least the rehearsals were worth a few laughs!

Anyway, we have made a “Making of” for the Paris gig.  That reveals the whole process, including all that went wrong! look out for the first few teasers, which will be shown exclusively on my blog in the next few weeks. In the meantime on the eve of my 25th… I leave you with another cool sketch by Es.

Off to get some dinner!

PS, Re my 25th. I thought it would be a nice idea to jump off some very high cliffs, (in a harness with ropes, obviously). So to avoid indulgent birthday tedium I have run off with friends and family to find some! hehehe

Mxxx

tree-of-life-from-paris-gig.png

happy-ending-single-cover-400x399.png

THANK YOU!

I want to say thank you to everyone who has posted comments, written messages and even sent gifts. Its totally amazing and I feel very honored and lucky to have you all as fans.  It really means a lot especially with the amount of thought that has gone into so many of these gifts. Here are three samples from a birthday photo album I received at Paleo in Switzerland. There are so many more great things to share and I will do so in good time.

Thank you again!

All my love

Mxxx

PS, just to let everyone know. Almost all of the pieces of art, sculptures, drawings, hand made books etc… have been kept over the last two years. We have been organizing and keeping stuff in safe storage as I want to use my favorite pieces in the future. I am also planning a dedicated gallery on the new website to art that has been made by so many of you. So thanks again, it is all totally appreciated! :)

mika-bday-message-1.png

mika-bday-message-2.png

mika-bday-message-3.png

MY 25TH BIRTHDAY

The music that’s used at the beginning is by a band called Fleet Foxes.  I’m really liking them at the moment. If you have a chance check out their song Ragged Wood. Its brill. 

Mx

WORK WORK and random words!

screenshot_7.png

Been busy working in the studio lately and its feeling good! Reverting to my pre-tour life and finally remembering what things were like before going on the road for two years. It feels great though I have to say. Trouble is I am unable to write about what I’m working on, for I am being as protective as ever!

One strange side effect to writing and being in the studio, is the enormous amount of books I’ve been buying. From art, to fashion to black magic. I’m piling them up. Trouble is I have absolutely no where to keep them any more. They seem to be forming monolytthic piles around my living room.

When I was younger I remember spending hours in the Westminster Reference Library, near Trafalgar Square, researching for school projects and spending ridiculous amounts on photocopying. However it was not the books that stuck in my mind, it was a curious man who smelt of peanuts. He was always there, browsing and making notes. I used to wonder if thats how I would end up.

I thought I’d put that behind me, but as I stare at the book piles in my room, the thought of him creeps back into my head. HAAAAAAA! OK clearly I’ve been hanging out in the studio TOO MUCH!

screenshot_81.png

Enough about peanut men!

I’ve actually been thinking about getting a dog… and if it looks enough of a freak (which to me is a good thing) than it could almost become my tour mascot! 

When I was in LA I came across this strange little store in the middle of the Beverly Centre Shopping Mall. It was literally a miniature dog shop! Seriously, these dogs were real and they’re called “toy breeds”. It was obviously strange seeing these very expensive tiny dogs in glass windows opposite a Louis Vitton shop! Anyway in one of these windows there was a japanese Shiba Inu dog. If I was to get a dog it would be one of these.

screenshot_11.png

screenshot_31-400x279.png

However, a friend of mine found out and I received these two days ago. This is probably the closest thing I’ll get to a dog for a while yet. HORRIFIC! 

screenshot_4.png

Ok its official, this is my most random blog to date! I guess that’s what a rainy Sunday does to you! 

PS my sister DaWack has been hard at work doing the artwork for the Parc Des Princes DVD and its really looking amazing. As soon as its done I’ll post it up!

Mxxxx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ROOMS WITHOUT WINDOWS

screenshot_4.png

It doesn’t feel like a Wednesday night. As I sit here in the studio in London, I am trying to figure out where the past few days have gone. The biggest problem is the lack of daylight.  Whether its 10 am or 2 am my windowless studio stays the same. I am sure you can imagine how weird that can make you feel! However this was not helped by the way I spent my weekend. I spent my whole Saturday at the Barbican Theatre, watching a nine hour play by Robert Lepage called Lypsinch. Yup you read correctly 9 hours! Thing is, it was brilliant. It went by so quickly. Kind of felt like I could sit back for a day and watch other people’s lives unfold themselves over two generations. I left the theatre with that satisfied smirk you get on your face when you manage to read a long book in one sitting!

Robert Lepage is a Canadian director/writer/actor from Montreal. His shows may seem abstract and a bit unapproachable at first, but that’s not the case. They are often long and in more than one language. However this is still some of the most unpretentious theatre you could go to. If you ever get a chance to see something he’s done, give it a go!

Lepage recently collaborated with Cirque Du Solei on Ka (above) as well as doing a 3 million euro installation on an enormous silo in Montreal to celebrate Quebec’s 400th anniversary. I was so tempted to take a trip out to see it as all the footage I’ve found on youtube is terrible. But I thought it wiser to get on with my work and not waste money on such a decadent “research trip”! Either way for years now, the man has become a total hero of mine… yes another one! :)

screenshot_3.png

screenshot_2.png

When in writing mode, I find myself looking constantly for things to inspire me and fill with head with new ideas and you never really know where that will come from. For example, writing Big Girls after watching a late night TV show. All I ever look for is a phrase or sentence that I can build something around.

screen-capture-1.png

Speaking of things I liked, I saw Somers Town last week and I loved it. Thomas Turgoose (the actor from This is England) plays a kid who runs away from his home in Nottingham to escape his family. He bumps into and makes friends with a Polish boy and this close friendship blossoms. It focuses on how these boys emotionally survive in London in the absence of their parents. Thomas Turgoose must be one of the coolest actors in England. 

I’ve been plotting a really sweet collaboration with the illustrator Sophie Blackall, which I will explain later on in the week. Going to see Madonna tonight. Can’t wait.

M xxxx

MIKA STUDIO TOUR

MIKA STUDIO TOUR, 1 WEEK LATER…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BRIGHT IDEA: Your turn to ask!

screenshot_10.png

We’ve had an idea. A few people have been asking how they can post a direct question to me. So we’ve come up with this…

If you’ve got something you would really like to ask me, send us your question at mikaquestions@googlemail.com

Once a month, a number of questions that  will be chosen and answered here on the blog. So send us what you’d like know and I’ll post up the first of these blogs in the next few days.

M!!xx

INTRODUCING THE BLACKALL PROJECT

WhooooaaaaaaAAAAH!

I am totally excited about this. About six months ago when I was on a research trip in New York, I blogged about the illustrator Sophie Blackall. What I didn’t say was that when I saw her drawings in real life, I fell completely in love with them and left new york with quite a sizeable collection.  I absolutely love what she does. Her line is so sophisticated and feminine. Elegant and yet still very whimsical. Check out some of the images below, a couple of which are actually on the walls of my home!

screenshot_12.png

screenshot_13.png

screenshot_14.png

screenshot_15.png

screenshot_16.png

screenshot_17.png

Sophie is from Australia and lives in Brooklyn. For a time back in Oz she even worked in a robot factory. She then won a green card in a national lottery back home. She now illustrates children’s books as well as draw for newspapers and magazines.

screenshot_18.png

screenshot_19.png

screenshot_20.png

I have now moved from my studio in London to start working with other musicians in LA. I have thinking up a plan for an art project to do while in the studio and thought of this:

I remembered when I was younger, I was obsessed with playing a drawing game, where you would start a drawing, fold it over so no one could see what you drew, then hand it to someone else who would continue it and they hand it back and so one and so forth until you could unfold the paper and reveal the often strange but amazing result. It dawned on me that this would be a perfect game to play whilst recording. However this time do it with an amazing illustrator and without folding the paper.

SO, over the next few weeks Sophie and I will be collaborating on a drawing without communicating apart from on the piece of drawing paper which will be sent back and forth, from LA to NYC.  The idea is for me start something, send it to her, she adds to it, sends it back and we continue back and forth until we think its done. We will then be making a limited edition object with the final drawing, which we will run a competition on the blog for people to win. Brrrr that was complicated to explain!

I have no idea what it will look like or what the end object we chose to make will be! Thats what’s fun about this process.

We will be starting this week. In the meantime check out Sophie’s website.

www.sophieblackall.com

With love, from sunny LA,

M!xxx

screenshot_21.png

THE BLACKALL PROJECT 1

blackall-project-note.png

THE BLACKALL PROJECT 2 (SOPHIE’S TURN)

blackall-project-2-screenshot.png

THE BLACKALL PROJECT ROUND 3 (MIKA’S TURN)

blackall-project-number-3.png

New DVD Trailer!

Hey guys, I write from a studio in a nondescript concrete building in
Los Angeles. The recording is just over three weeks in and it feels great to be
out of demo phase. As many of you know we’ve been working on the DVD
for the Paris show and its now finished. I thought I would share the
new trailer with you guys. I’ve had a blast making this and hope you like it too.

Mxx

2008-parc-des-princes-dvd.JPG

PRE-ORDER THE DVD HERE! 

Amazon affiliate links:

Standard: click here

Blu Ray: click here

Play.com:

Standard: click here

Deluxe: click here

Blu Ray: click here

ETA: FOR US-BASED FANS, the Amazon link to the NTSC version of the DVD: click here - This comes out the day after the UK version.

MIKA STUDIO TOUR 3, LOS ANGELES

THE BLACKALL PROJECT ROUND 4 (SOPHIE’S TURN)

screenshot_1.png

Mxx

ASK MIKA! TOPIC 1: TRAVEL

SO! Its been a crazy week. But I’m finally getting round to answering some questions! We received thousands of questions so its taken a while to sort them all out.  We’ve decided to split them up into different categories and the first set that I’ve been sent are questions about travel. In the future we will try and put people’s names next to each question but for these it wasn’t done in time.  Apologies! 

ok here we go!

If you could choose one country from all the world to live in.. which one would you choose…?

I guess I would always have to live in Europe.  What I love about it is the immense diversity of countries that are so near by.  When I’m in some parts of the USA (like LA)  I feel very far away.  But you never know.  I think I was born with itchy feet, which is a bit of a blessing considering what I do with my life. 

Why do you hate flying so much? Have you had a particularly bad experience on a plane? After all the traveling you did in 2007, has it gotten any easier? Did getting stuck on the tarmac in Miami in June 2007 particularly stress you out?

When I get off a long flight I feel like it’s the day after a long night out.  I hate the smell, the closed off space, and I’m often irritated by the amount of control that you go through from when you enter the airport to leaving baggage claim.  You are interrogated, directed and redirected countless times.  We all just have to give in.  I have only had a few bad experiences flying, including having to take off  again half way through landing as we had run out of runway cuz the weather was so bad.  Its not a fear of flying more than a total dislike of it.

Why have you said that you often cry in planes? Is it because you are afraid? Because you always see sad movies in planes or some other reason ?

HA! I’ve actually looked into this a bit.  Apparently high altitudes have strange effects on people.  It can lead to  a heightening of emotion and a dulling down of other things, like your taste-buds for instance.  Its mainly because I often watch dark or sad movies on flights.  The same actually happens with alcohol! At high altitude the effect of alcohol is exaggerated.  That’s one thing that’s hard to resist when flying, cuz there’s bugger all else to do! Its a bad habit.

Have you ever been to Disney World, or Disneyland, or Disneyland Paris? If yes, what did you think of the place?

Just this morning I was talking with the people I’m working with about how I want to go down to Disney World for a couple days in a big group of friends.  I’m fascinated by it.  I think I may well hate it but its worth a try.  

For a while I became obsessed by this utopic city that the Disney company built in Florida.  It’s a real life town called Celebration.  It IS the Truman show.  Amazing to study but a horrifying reality.  I read books and studies on it! Turns out Walt Disney actually wanted to build Epcot as a real city.  The kind of perfect, high tech big brother town we are all afraid of.  Celebration Florida is what finally came out of that.

The one thing that I really want to go to Disney for is all the Live Annimatics stuff, (the moving dolls and robotic life size puppets).  I’ve always been interested in those things.  I found out today about Banksy’s new instillation in New York.  It’s a fake pet shop made up of amazing alternative creatures… check it out.  This reminds me so much of my childhood brain!

Have you ever taken a holiday in Scotland and seen our beautiful scenery?

Yes, once for a one month road trip with my family when I was a child.  We took a road trip and the only music we had with us was a tape of  Elvis hits bought from a petrol station on the M4. Its was beautiful, Scotland that is…  Ever since then I’ve had a pipe dream of having a small house in a remote part of the highlands.  I would love it so much, obviously difficult to take care of but if the house was small and simple enough it could be possible.  You never know!

Have you ever been to Hungary?

No never, I have wanted to for a long time, ever since I worked with a Hungarian conductor when I was a boy.  He told me that Hungarian was known as one of the most difficult languages to learn in the world.  I wonder if that’s true…

What’s your favourite city?

London I must say, to live in that is.  For visiting, either Paris or Hong Kong.  

What are your favourite islands?

My favourite Islands?? You know what, there is this brilliant little place I often go to with my god-daughter, its called Mersea Island.  We go there to fish for small crabs and get seafood. 

I was wondering where you could live if you could live anywhere in the world because i know that you have been many places and you have lived many places so you have a pretty good grasp on where the best locations are to live…but the only rule i give is that if you choose London then also choose a second place because you already live in london so what fun is that for a choice??

LOL, I think my second place would have to be somewhere in the mountains.  I don’t like being too close to the ocean, it scares me and its quite flat… there’s something about living in the mountains where you feel small, the earth shoves it in your face at every turn that you are one of the smallest things on it. Its very calming.  So somewhere near the mountains, as long as there is good food and its not too cold all year round, then I’m good.

Where is your favourite place or spot in the world you would withdraw to in order to relax totally?

I am dying to go to the Himalayas.  I think that would be the ideal!  There is is this old grand hotel 8 hours outside of Delhi in the foothills of the Himalayas, called Wildflower Hall. During the winter, they turn the tennis court into an ice rink which can be hired out privately! Insane!

What did you think of Jordan?

I was very surprised by Jordan.  I thought the area around the dead sea was extremely beautiful.  Rugged and impressive. Really liked it.

What’s you’re favorite holiday country? 

I love going to France because its what I know and grew up with, yet the weather is considerably better than England’s…

What do you know about Argentina?

I know that that is where Valentin was filmed and that the food is good!  I can’t wait to go, it’s definitely at the top of my list.

Where and when can I see you in LA ;-)

Sooner than you think.  I may try out a couple songs acoustically at a secret show, I’ll keep you posted…

When you visit the states is there a certain food you love that you only get here? or a certain place you love to go?

Cheesecake and half and half, thank fuck for coffee with HALF & HALF!!

What’s your favourite place in London (and why)?

Richmond park or the side streets of Soho around 10 in the morning.

Is there a culture of one country or some countries who interests you?

China. Its history and culturally intimidate and fascinate me.  That’s prob why I’ve  been there six times on holliday.

We all know that during your performances with Royal Opera House 10 years ago you had an opportunity to record for Polish Radio. We are very curious what were your impressions from staying in Warsaw? We can assure that it has changed a lot since then. People are very enthusiastic about artists such as you and your gig would be really great event and above all these  things, a huge joy for us!

HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT? Lol. I really liked Warsaw, we were very broke at the time so didn’t have much money to do to much stuff but it was great.  It was the first time that I had ever visited a country that used to be communist apart from china, and that part of its history fascinated me.  I wouldn’t mind going back.  I’m sure its changed a lot.

If you’re really “happiest when driving in a car…for hours”….Where are you driving? Are you being driven or driving yourself?

Lol let’s get one thing cleared up! I can’t drive, however you are right I really am extremely happy when I’m driving around in a car, but really its when I’m being driven in a car, but I always like to sit in the front seat!  When I was at college and trying to get a recording contract, I was often going through some pretty hard times, my friends used to come pick me up and we would drive around London in the early hours of the morning.  Then they would drop me home and I would keep on working.  Now I have a great little car, a fiat that actually talks to me, Ha! And I’m getting a second one hopefully, a really nice antique car.  Thing is I dpicture-3.pngon’t know when I’ll be getting my driver’s license, but all my friends and people I work with drive around with me all they time, and when it’s a nice car, no one seems to mind! lol

If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go? 

South America or New Zealand, preferably both!

You get to travel to so many places with your touring.  Do you like all the traveling or would you rather be doing something where you didn’t have to travel as much?

I love going to all these places.  I have to admit the actual back to back journeys are really difficult some times.  But being able to go out of my hotel and check out wherever I am, even if its just for a short time, is such a great feeling.  Especially when I get to see the countryside in a new place.  I’m often asked if there is another job I would like to do If I wasn’t doing this.  I have a make believe idea that the ultimate job would be a location finder.  Someone who travels around the world finding places to film.  But I think I’m only saying that cuz I’ve just seen the new Bond Trailer. lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’M BACK

x_4cf78f0f.jpg

x_c43d8d16.jpg

x_6f1c8e73.jpg

x_c61cb04c.jpg

mika-bruce-almighty.jpg

I received these images this morning from a fans in  Russia, and they made me laugh out loud! I couldn’t resist posting them up here. My favorite is the Mika Bruce Almighty spoof. And so I return to blogging after a few weeks of serious distraction. 

My news? I have lots, I’ve been working on the new album, which is always an intense experience, but I’m happy about it! Thank God. I’ve also been working on the website which is turning into something that I’m totally loving and hopefully so will you guys.  Apparently no artist’s website has ever been built like it before.  What to expect? Well its all about the content most of it exclusive and and its designed to change visually very easily. This means the possibilities for how it can look and evolve visually are amazing.  Oh, and the Blackall Project is coming along nicely too, (look out for that in the next few days). 

My sister DaWack and I are working on a pretty massive project. This will come out just before the album and involves music and book of art. I can’t say too much as the details change every day but I can say that it will be coinciding with an short acoustic tour that I am planning to do in small beautiful theaters around the world.

Ok ok, i have to finish my round of the Blackall project before I send it back to Sophie tonight. I will write very soon!

Grapefruit,

screenshot_1-400x231.png

apparantly its good for you in the winter, Ive been eating ‘em but I think they’re disgusting!!!!!!

Mxxxxx!

OCD OR WHAT? RANDOMITE BLOG

I was in the studio the other day, sitting around listening to an edit that was being done, only to look up and find every one in the room laughing at me with a hint of concern.  Un knowingly I had taken out my (rather extensive) collection of gum and started categorizing them in ordered very through-thought lines. I then went and did this to my lyric sheets as well as everyone elses stuff that was lying around. This is what happens when your allowed to get the better of yourself. Realizing I had been caught I looked around and had to admit it was ridiculous. Tea round was on me, anything to get out of there as fast as possible! lol

Nothing like washing your dirty laundry in public heh? Who needs therapists.

studio-sweets.jpg

Mxxx

THE BLACKALL PROJECT ROUND 5 (MIKA’S TURN)

screenshot_1.png

“he was called the tax baby but he created enemies of his own…”

Mxxx!

SPAM RYMES WITH HAM… I HAVE A NICE NEW HAT!

mika-in-new-hat.png

Good hat heh? borderline tacky but I love it.

Looking over the last few comments on the previous entry, I came across a message/threat from Justine and Yvonne, saying that if I didn’t have time to write, they would have to fill in.  For fear of a revolt I think I must prevent that from happening and say hello. lol Although I think it would be fun to give them another go….

In the rush towards Christmas, Greg Wells and I have been keeping our heads down, trying to get as much done before the holiday. The weather in Los Angeles is admittedly beautiful and it makes a brilliant change from the constant darkness in the UK. I found myself waking up in London and running out of my place just to catch my quota of naturally daylight before it got dark again. Even sitting in the pub can only offer so much consolation! I love London in the winter but living in a basement the light really becomes an issue. I wonder if anyone reading this lives in northern Sweden or anywhere where they have no daylight at all for a few months a year?? If so please do tell what its like.

While in the states I’ve been watching loads of news channels in the evening and I can’t help but worry for what lies ahead. The economy is in such a state of flux and so many people close to me have been seriously affected. It strikes me as enormously unfair how those who make the least in large corporations are the ones who are being hurt the most. The question I ask myself, is what effect will this have on music and the art scene in general? The mood at the moment is certainly affecting my writing and production.  What’s interesting is that I find myself making my music more empowering. As always I’ve been losing myself in my music and cheering myself up in the process. Thats the joy of music, it can make you feel better no matter what’s going down.

Round 6 of the Blackall Project has just come in and I love it! I will post it up in a bit. I know that the MFC is down and apparently we have been dealing with some pretty bad spam problems. If any of you have been wondering why we’ve been having some problems with comments on this blog, its for the same reasons. The insane amount of garbage we have to get rid of is SO infuriating. Good news is we only have a little more time to wait before the launch of the new website. Thank God! 

Gotta go, the turkey’s gettin fat

I will write again VERY soon and that is a solid oath!

Mxxx

THE BLACKALL PROJECT ROUND 6 (SOPHIE’S TURN)!

screenshot_1.png

screenshot_2.png

screenshot_1.png

2nd-blackall-project-5.png

screenshot_1-150x150.png

blackall-project-number-3-150x150.png

blackall-project-2-screenshot-150x150.pn

blackall-project-note-150x150.png

Mxx!

LOOK WHAT JUST ARRIVED!!

Check out what just arrived at the studio! Its amazing, I’ve honestly never received anything like it. Its a tower of enormous helium balloons. Its about 1 and a half the height of me! couldn’t resist sharing this, I laughed out loud when I walked into the studio this morning! Absolutely LOVE them. Thanks to everyone at Rondor Publishing!

2008-12-18-balloons-from-rondor-blog.jpg

Songs are sounding gooood today. LA is rainy and surprisingly cold but it reminds me of home so bring it on! Greg Wells (a Canadian Californian convert) is shriveling at the prospect of LA being under 20 C.

Mxx

MUST BE A SIGN!

screenshot_6.png

This must be a sign of some sort! Let me give you the breakdown. The other day I decided to post (quite randomly) about my new hat and put a picture up of me wearing it (see below). This “new” hat has actually been in my possetion for a few months now but I’ve never worn it. I had never paid much attention to the design I just liked the way the colors felt. It wasn’t until I was posting the picture of me wearing the hat that I noticed the image of the virgin Mary, which I liked but thought nothing of.

However I have now realized, thanks to people’s comments, that the image on the hat is of Santa Maria De Guadalupe, the Virgin Mary of Guadalupe in Mexico, and that I had posted it on the 12th of December, which is actually her feast day in Mexico and the first time I ever wore the hat! My mother now thinks I should go to church. I think I should wear my hat more often! Actually, I think I will go to Mexico next year for the 12th of December. Omen’s should never be overlooked. Anyone who’s ever read ‘The Alchemist’ would agree with me on that!

Check out these amazing images. Religious art in Mexico has always fascinated me. My next obsession I fear.

Mxx

screenshot_3.png

mika-in-new-hat.png

screenshot_21.png

Last image by Kyanne (www.dripbook.com/Kyanne/splash)

MIKA’S WHITE CHRISTMAS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2009 Vlogs/Blogs

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! boom bada boom

screenshot_2.png

Happy new year everyone. Now, call me superstitious, but to me the first of any thing in the new year has a lot of weight attached to it. SO, i’ve spent a while thinking up what to post and I decided to share with you all one of my favourite comic cartoons. This is Nemo In Slumberland, and its one of the wonders of the world (in a comic sense that is!). Little Nemo is by Windsor McCay from 1905 and in my opinion is the perfect first post of the year as it is totally timeless.

Happy new year everyone. Thank you for all your supoort over the past few years, 09 as you can imagine will be a busy year.

With love and respect, always.

Mxxx

screenshot_3.png

screenshot_4.png

screenshot_5.png

screenshot_6.png

TINA MALONE!

tina-malone-3.png

My friend Tina Malone, has just stepped into the UK Celebrity Big Brother house! I can’t believe it I didn’t know until last night that she was gonna be taking part. She’s a total legend in real life and I’m actually quite excited to see how she does, although I’m fucking surprised that she’s taking part! I apologize in advance because I know that a lot of people who read this don’t live in the UK but I had to share anyway. God I hope they don’t story board or edit her into something that she’s not.

Tina and several of the cast of Shameless joined us in Manchester when we were there last year. Check out Tina dancing as a Big Girl. Got a great mini-doc that we made about the night which we will share soon!

Good luck Tina!

Mxxx

tina-malone-5.png

tina-malone-2.png

tina-malone-1.png

Tina and Dystin Johnson from Shameless terrified pre gig backstage

Tina and Dystin Johnson from Shameless, terrified before going on stage

NEW MUSIC STARTING TO GET OUT THERE!

As part of a docu/film that we are making with the next album, we’ve been going out into the street with our very own personalized MIKA PLAYER, filming reactions to some of the new music. Some have been hysterical. Here are some stills from footage shot the other day on Venice Beach in Los Angeles. This is gonna be happening all over the place in the next few months (not just in LA), so keep an eye out!

Can’t wait to tell you more about the film once its further along. Check out some of these stills from the footage. 

Mxx!

venice-beach-mika-player-2.png

venice-beach-mika-player-4.png

venice-beach-mika-player-1.png

venice-beach-mika-player-6.png

venice-beach-mika-player-7.png

venice-beach-mika-player-8.png

venice-beach-mika-player-3.png

WHAT I’M LOOKING AT TODAY: TIBOR GERGELY!

screenshot_13.png

Its raining in LA. The studio is filled with a tinge of excitement. Ella is asleep and Greg is playing organ on one of the new songs. Over the past few weeks I have been admiring the work of illustrator Tibor Gergely. Gergely was born in Hungary in 1900 and was a self taught painter and set designer. He moved over to the USA in 1939 and died in 1970. Gergerly is most famous for his work on the Golden Books published in the 1950s. Even without knowing much about him, his pictures are amazingly captivating in their own right. Ilustrtation is a funny thing, you can never tell what drawings will really stand the test of time. These, in my opinion have done just that, even if they are not very famous nowadays. I couldn’t resist sharing some pics. Look out for another round of the Blackall Project coming soon!

Mxxx

tibor02.jpg

tibor04-400x398.jpg

tibor03.jpg

tibor10.jpg

tibor11.jpg

tibor22.jpg

tibor14.jpg

Images copyright Golden Books 1951

SEVEN WORDS OF NONSENSE

SevenWords-Wikipe.png

According to the online book of “truth” (aka Wikipedia), my new album is called “Seven Words” and features such outstanding songs such as “Mummy look a dinosaur!” and “Touch my curls” featuring Mariah Carey. HA! nice one. Amusing but totally false as most have probably guessed.

Mxx

FROM WIKIPEDIA;

Standard edition track listing

(All songs written by Mika unless otherwise stated).

1. “My Own Life in cartoon motion”(Mika) – 2:59
  2. “Just Me and my devoted fans”(MikaEggy White) – 3:11
  3. “My People” (Mika) – 3:01
  4. “And it Rained and Rained” (Mika) - 3:57
  5. “love Me or leave”(Mika) – 6:12
  6. “Rehabilitation”(Mika) – 3:44
  7. “Mummy, look a Dinasour!”(Mika)  - 3:49

Cartoon copyright HOLBERT, in commemoration of George Carlin

TEA WITH STEPHEN SCHWARTZz

2008-mika-stephen-schwartz-greg-wells.jpg

Stephen Schwartz popped into the studio for a quick visit today. Stephen is an old friend of Greg Wells’ and is the composer of Wicked the musical as well as Godspell, Pocahontas and tons of other stuff. He’s amazingly impressive but I just couldn’t get the memory of my sister as a twelve year old, singing “Colors Of The Wind”, at the top of her lungs every morning before school for about six months.

Mxxx

THE BLACKALL PROJECT ROUND 7 (MIKA’S TURN)!

mika_blackall7web.jpg

screenshot_1.png

blackall-project-2-screenshot.png

blackall-project-number-3.png

Mxx!

CORALINE!! INCREDIBLE CORALINE!!

screenshot_11.png

On Saturday night, I did something I have never done before; I pre-bought movie tickets a two days in advance and arrived ON TIME for a movie! Good job I did as I wasn’t alone. By Saturday morning, most of the tickets for the evening showings of Coraline in 3D were sold out all over LA. It honestly blew my mind and in my opinion is not to be missed.

Coraline was written by Neil Gaiman (below) and has been animated by Henry Selick, who is famous for directing The Nightmare Before Christmas.  If your a fan of that movie then you’ll probably like the photos below.  

screenshot_7.png

Here are some cool pics of backstage action from the set of the movie. They were taken by David Strick for the LA times. They have that similar kind of magic feeling that you get when looking around the backstage of a theatre. The same feeling that made me decide that I wanted to be a musician. I remember when I was a young boy and would perform in lots of operas and West End shows (including Oliver! for nine months!). I would always try to sneak away and just stand in the theatre when it was empty.

screenshot_4.png

screenshot_5.png

screenshot_9.png

screenshot_15.png

screenshot_6.png

screenshot_111.png

screenshot_21.png

screenshot_16.png

screenshot_14.png

PS got a video blog coming soon!

Mxx

Images copyright David Strick LA times

NEW MUSIC!!

HALF PAST ELEVEN, MOUSE DOGS AND HENRY DILTZ

Its half past eleven at night and I’m on my couch in the flat I’ve rented in Los Angeles. Its not a particularly glamorous place but many people here have incredibly tiny dogs. So many dogs in fact, that they recently removed all the real grass from around the building and have replaced it with imitation plastic stuff… easier to clean you see. The scary thing is, I no longer even notice that the grass is fake. LA is sunny now and I’ve dragged a chair up on the roof the studio to catch some rays while Greg (who although is afraid of cold is also afraid of the sun) works on the computer downstairs.

The weeks have been going by so fast and its incredible to think that I’ve been in LA on and off for four months now. But we are getting there, I promise (and promise myself). Next week the photographer Henry Diltz is coming to the studio. I’m really looking forward to it. There are so many of his photos that I have grown up with. His work is unavoidable. Here are a few images taken from the Morrison Hotel Gallery. They are fantastic. Check it out.

screenshot_17.png

screenshot_22.png

screenshot_31.png

screenshot_41.png

screenshot_51.png

What amazing pictures the last two are. I grew up listening to the Mama’s and the Papa’s and that picture of Mamma Cass really gets me.

Right, I’m off to bed now. I’ll be writing soon.

Mxxx

All images copyright Henry Diltz from www.morrisonhotelgallery.com

THE BLACKALL PROJECT ROUND 8 (SOPHIE’S TURN)

blackall-project-round-8-detail-screenshot.png

Mxx!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SUMMERS COMING!
Posted on March 20th, 2009 at 12:42 am by Mika

screenshot_2.png
I've moved my return flight to the UK back and forth about 8 times.  I've got to hand it to BA they've been rather alright about it all, but it feels good to be going home soon.  So here's where I'm at. The recording of the album is almost done and next comes the mixing. I haven't wanted to blog for a while. I felt like I needed to get into myself and concentrate on the crazy pile infront of me.  I also wanted to have some proper news.  Whilst finishing up the record, loads of other things have only just begun.  As I mentioned ages ago, ever since my Salt Lake City gig I've wanted to plan an acoustic tour.  Back to basics. Well its starting to come together! Countries so far include; Ireland, UK, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Holland and the USA. But there are more to come! These shows will take place this summer. These venues are mostly going to be very small and the shows very intimate.  I couldn't think of a better way to get back in the groove.  Because of the very small size of the venues I am planning on making tickets available early to fans who have been with me for the past few years, via my website and the fan club, before they are available elsewhere.   There is so much else that is in the works that I'm dying to share, but am gonna wait until its all solid. I was looking for something to illustrate small venues but I couldn't find anything good. I think the image above is better though. I started a twitter account... I thought I would give it a go. I could see how it could really start to irritate me BUT I thought it would be the best way to announce some secret shows later on in the year, or stuff like that... will keep playing with it. My twitter screen-name is mikasounds if you wanna find me. We've also got a new vid blog coming soon! Until then, Mxx!

NEW MUSIC PART 2
Posted on March 20th, 2009 at 8:55 pm by Mika

IF you're in or near Los Angeles....
Posted on April 11th, 2009 at 6:37 pm by Mika

Here's the first clue for early next week! mxx!
screenshot_2.pngscreenshot_1.png

TUESDAY EVENING LA
Posted on April 14th, 2009 at 7:23 am by Mika

img00069-20090413-1456.jpg img00070-20090413-1456.jpg

SO! The acoustic show is going to be held in LA on Wednesday night. Tickets are free and available tomorrow evening at the location below! LOOK for the BIG FLOWER sculpture and an ICE CREAM TRUCK at Beverly Gardens Park in Beverly Hills, where wristbands will be given out from 6pm. The park can be found at Rodeo Dr. and North Santa Monica Blvd. I couldn't think of a better way to end my trip in LA. If your not in LA however, don't worry as I hope to be doing secret shows like this a lot more in different parts of the world. The show itself will be in Hollywood on Weds night at 7pm! Mxx!

img00068-20090413-1456.jpg img00067-20090413-1452.jpg img00071-20090413-1457.jpg

GEEZE the view at 5:30pm LA time
Posted on April 15th, 2009 by Mika

Here is a pic that has just been sent to me.  It was taken 10 mins ago at the Park where we are giving out the wristbands for tomorrow night's secret gig! I'm getting excited!! Mx

screenshot_12.png

The Inspiration For The Acoustic Tour...
Posted on May 29th, 2009

The ‘Songs For Sorrow’ Acoustic Tour starts this Monday in Berlin, where Mika will bring his first new material for years to the stage, stripped down and unplugged.

Mika first became intrigued by the possibilities of acoustic shows completely by chance in February 2008, when an equipment truck was stranded in a snowstorm between Denver and Salt Lake City.

Mika and his crew moved mountains to prepare a stage set at the last minute for an unplugged show - you can see exactly how it worked out in the latest, blast-from-the-past mini-doc.

See how it all began...

33. MIKA MEETS THE OBSERVER MUSIC MONTHLY
Posted on June 15th, 2009

Did you manage to grab a copy of The Observer on Sunday yesterday?

If so you'll have been treated to a glorious 8-page cover story all about the life & times of Mika in the Observer Music Monthly.

There're also some gorgeous new pictures of 'Pop's next superstar'.

Click here to read all about it in our press section.

YO YO! Enough marketing psychobable dish dash! Now I write.
Posted on July 15th, 2009 at 6:08 pm by Mika

Hello, this is it, the very first blog on this my new website... exciting. Kind of like the feeling you get when opening up the box of a new phone, until you smear the pristine screen with doughnut curdled fingertips and then all you want is another new one, with that delicious pasticky cover on it. urgh

Speaking of packaging, I write to you from my paper laden desk that I have not allowed anyone to clean for over 7 weeks.  Its covered in bits of art, drawings, cut outs, samples... all prep work for the new album art. Its being done much the same way as last time, by my sister DaWack, Richard Hogg and I. As many of you know, over the past few months I have been purging visual references from children's picture books, from the 40s to the 70s. There's something dark and magic about a good picture book. The way those characters never leave you and attach themselves to a particular time of your life. The only thing I can compare it to is smells. I was once nearly kicked in the balls on the street for asking a complete stranger what perfume she was wearing. When she asked me why I cared, I told her it reminded me of this bitch at school's mum who told on me after I was caught stealing her daughter's stationary when I was 7.

The new artwork, is well, odd, rather amazing but gloriously weird. Suffice to say I'm rather excited about it. We will be adding new babies to our family. Hairy babies. Ha!

I've just come back from being expensively tortured at my physio but really looking forward to Latitude this weekend. Am determined to seek out Grace Jones. Never seen her live. I'm gonna blog some stuff from there over the weekend, I think twitter is great but has definitely made me lazy with the blog.

Right, that's it for now. Gonna get you a still from the Jonas Akerlund shoot of the new video, which is being edited now.

M!x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• dcdeb changed the title to 2008-09 Mikasounds.com Blogs Reconstructed
  • 5 months later...

So... I've been working on this off and on for the last 6 months, and I thought I'd finally share it with you all. I don't want to open it up to comments here just yet, though -- I'd like to keep it just for the blog entries, photos and videos, etc. until I have it all done, or as done as it can be, without too much clutter.  I'm still missing bits and pieces, obviously, and may have some things under the wrong date -- I'm still working on that. I've left broken links in, in places -- to remind myself to look for them elsewhere, either here on the MFC or online somewhere. And I thought if any of you had any of the missing items you could send to me privately and I'll add them, hopefully in the right spot (giving you appropriate credit, of course!).

Let me know what you think!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5