barfy review, might already been posted

Steph

You are in: Birmingham > Entertainment > Music > Music Reviews > Mika: Live review

Mika

Mika: Live review

Review by contibutor Ben Lowe

The Beirut-born prince of pomp Mika brought his electro-pop to Birmingham's Barfly.

Mika - Birmingham Barfly - Fri 23 Feb 2007

Theatrically bouncing onto the stage to rapturous applause, green-jeaned Mika commenced his set with the electro pop of ‘Relax, Take It Easy’.

The Beirut-born prince of pomp hits every note as he belts out ‘Billy Brown’, ‘Stuck In The Middle’ and ‘My Interpretation’ along with new single ‘Love Today’ from his flourishing first album ‘Life In Cartoon Motion’.

Mika: Topped the poll

His falsetto and ultra-camp performances have drawn comparisons to Jake Shears of the Scissor Sisters, his disco-tinged tunes to Elton John, his potential as an artist to the legendary Freddie Mercury – you could see why.

Grace Kelly

Unsurprisingly, Mika’s breakthrough song ‘Grace Kelly’ sent the crowd wild with delight as the 23-year-old cavorted to utmost effect in his trademark braces.

The tousle-haired star also found time to thank fans for their continued support, appreciating the fact nearly everyone had bought their tickets long before the huge hype of recent weeks.

His ceaseless energy during encore effort ‘Lollipop’ could have lit the streets of Digbeth and thrust the feel-good factor inside the venue through the roof.

Mika might have dropped down to number two in the charts on Sunday, he may well be a Marmite artist, but he was certainly top of the pops on Friday night.

Support act - Leon Jean-Marie

Possessing possibly the coolest name in music, Leon Jean-Marie rocked the Barfly in his short time on stage with a sound so fresh it left me breathless.

The 24-year-old Londoner has been working with some of the industry’s smartest producer-collaborators since signing to the independent Grand Scheme label and was overjoyed to join Mika on his sold-out UK tour.

‘Scratch’ and ‘Make It Right’ are infectious tracks; the former being released as Jean-Marie’s debut single early next month on limited edition seven-inch.

With motoring beats, twanging riffs and vocals that Prince would swap his high heels for, this guy has the makings of 2007’s most thrilling newcomer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool! Thought I'd bump this thread as I have been hunting Mika articles today. I found this article.. and its already here! Hooray! The Search facility DOES work :)

I would have loved to see Leon Jean-Marie.. love his stuff!!

Unsurprisingly, Mika’s breakthrough song ‘Grace Kelly’ sent the crowd wild with delight as the 23-year-old cavorted to utmost effect in his trademark braces.

Oh yeah that's the brace-appeal baby !!! :naughty:

Cool review, thx for posting !!! :thumb_yello: