Rondor Music Signs British Popstar Mika To Worldwide Publishing Deal

dcdeb

In my never-ending quest to find Mika tour dates, I was on the Universal website and ran across this release, dated just a few weeks ago. I did a search on these forums to see if it had been mentioned, I see that Sunny noted it in passing back in January! So I don't know why there's a general release dated March 28, but there you are... Anyway... here 'tis:

Rondor Music Signs British Popstar Mika To Worldwide Publishing Deal

LOS ANGELES, March 28, 2007 – Rondor Music has signed London-based pop phenomenon Mika to an exclusive, worldwide publishing agreement, it was announced today by Lance Freed, President of Rondor.

“Mika writes, produces and performs all of his own music, and is a true artist who values the creative process above all else,” commented Freed. “We share his enthusiasm and are looking forward to helping him further develop his unique style and songwriting talent as he grows as an artist.”

Mika’s debut album, Life in Cartoon Motion was released by Casablanca Records/Island, with the album and lead single “Grace Kelly,” both hitting Number #1 on the U.K. charts. The record was released here in the U.S. on March 27, 2007. Recently, Mika performed at SXSW as well as the legendary Troubador in Los Angeles, where he performed in front of a sold out audience. Mika also performed live with his band on the “Tonight Show with Jay Leno” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live.” He will be touring Europe this year and is scheduled to play the Coachella Valley Music Festival on April 29th.

At 23 years old, Mika is already a citizen of the world. He was born in Beirut to a Lebanese mother and American father, and moved to Paris at the height of Lebanon’s brutal civil war. During Mika’s youth, his father was taken hostage and held at the American embassy in Kuwait. Later, the family settled in London, where Mika attended The Royal College of Music. Influenced by artists as diverse as Harry Nilsson, Queen, Prince and Elton John, and drawing from Japanese cartoon soundtracks, Mika wrote and produced all 13 tracks for his greatly anticipated debut album, Life in Cartoon Motion. His songwriting is inspired by the twists and turns in his life and takes advantage of his classical training and four-octave voice.

# # # #

ABOUT RONDOR

Almo/Irving Music was founded in 1962 by Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss as the original domestic publishing arm of their newly-formed A&M Records. In 1966 the company, with only 200 copyrights, began to reach out for new songs and writers. Today, Rondor Music International publishes more than 60,000 titles covering all musical styles and genres.

As a measure of the company\'s success, Rondor songs have captured a number of Grammy awards over the years including "From A Distance", written by Julie Gold (1991), "Tears In Heaven", written by Will Jennings and Eric Clapton (1993) and "My Heart Will Go On" written by Will Jennings and James Horner (1998).

Rondor has expanded its range of titles through the acquisition of other major catalogs, including Brian Wilson\'s Beach Boys Catalog, the Stax-era East Memphis Music Catalog and the Shelter Music Catalog, featuring the music of Tom Petty, Leon Russell, and Phoebe Snow. Other acquisitions include the songs of Lloyd Price, Difford and Tillbrook, Leo Sayer and a major Jazz catalog featuring the songs of Les McCann.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic