Ok it's old but i found it lol, soz if it's already been posted

Mika @ Birmingham Barfly, February 23

Sunday, February 25 2007, 18:02 GMT

By Miriam Zendle, Music Reporter

Mika, Mika, Mika. Since our early interview with Mr Penniman back in October 2006, before anyone really knew who he was, what he did or what his surname was, the Londoner's star has definitely shot high into the ascendent. Not content with scoring number one with 'Grace Kelly' a week before its physical release, he also managed to do the same with album Life In Cartoon Motion, and whilst his previous batch of gigs boasted no more than a smattering of onlookers at the non-London evenings, every date on his current tour sold out pretty quickly, including the Birmingham Barfly.

The Barfly itself is an intriguing venue. Not too big and not to small, it's proportioned just right to allow a feeling of intimacy without the tight feeling a tiny venue can produce if the atmosphere isn't judged correctly. Support act and Extremely Gorgeous Bloke Leon Jean Marie provided an upbeat and truly enjoyable preface to Mika's set, his funky, punchy vocal style getting the audience dancing and grooving before he retired backstage after only a few songs. Everyone was ready to watch the main attraction, but it was only forty five minutes later that a restive and slightly grumpy crowd got what they'd come for, when Mika plus band finally appeared on stage.

It's clear that the Londoner has gained a huge amount of support since his last Birmingham gig, held at the teeny tiny Academy 2 in front of no more than a couple of dozen onlookers, as this time round every corner was packed out with new fans. The rapturous support he received throughout the gig attested to this - every song was greeted with huge applause and cheering, although the prevalence of a much wider fanbase was clear during 'Over My Shoulder', a number that when performed to dead quiet, as happened at early gigs, is utterly electrifying, but fell rather flat due to the chatter that provided an unwelcome undercurrent for the song.

Although his set is still overly short - forty five minutes long - due to a lack of material and his unexpected ascension into the top of the charts, every minute was made worthwhile thanks to Mika's boundless energy and fantastically spot on vocals. We could all only hope for the range he manages to produce so effortlessly! His band were, as ever, on top form, with guitar player Martin providing particularly effective backing vocals, his duet with Mika on 'Over My Shoulder' showing that he himself could likely cut it as a solo artist if he so chose.

Mika's music is very much a love it or hate it kind of thing. His throbbing, luscious pop stylings aren't for everyone, but he's been lucky enough to garner a large fanbase in a very short time frame, and his excitement and joy at the success this is bringing him is clearly evident at his gigs, which allow him to show that he can truly replicate live what most would imagine to be studio-tweaked vocals. The only way for Mika is up, based on this performance.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Mika, Mika, Mika. Since our early interview with Mr Penniman back in October 2006, before anyone really knew who he was, what he did or what his surname was, the Londoner's star has definitely shot high into the ascendent. Not content with scoring number one with 'Grace Kelly' a week before its physical release, he also managed to do the same with album Life In Cartoon Motion, and whilst his previous batch of gigs boasted no more than a smattering of onlookers at the non-London evenings, every date on his current tour sold out pretty quickly, including the Birmingham Barfly.

The Barfly itself is an intriguing venue. Not too big and not to small, it's proportioned just right to allow a feeling of intimacy without the tight feeling a tiny venue can produce if the atmosphere isn't judged correctly. Support act and Extremely Gorgeous Bloke Leon Jean Marie provided an upbeat and truly enjoyable preface to Mika's set, his funky, punchy vocal style getting the audience dancing and grooving before he retired backstage after only a few songs. Everyone was ready to watch the main attraction, but it was only forty five minutes later that a restive and slightly grumpy crowd got what they'd come for, when Mika plus band finally appeared on stage.

It's clear that the Londoner has gained a huge amount of support since his last Birmingham gig, held at the teeny tiny Academy 2 in front of no more than a couple of dozen onlookers, as this time round every corner was packed out with new fans. The rapturous support he received throughout the gig attested to this - every song was greeted with huge applause and cheering, although the prevalence of a much wider fanbase was clear during 'Over My Shoulder', a number that when performed to dead quiet, as happened at early gigs, is utterly electrifying, but fell rather flat due to the chatter that provided an unwelcome undercurrent for the song.

Although his set is still overly short - forty five minutes long - due to a lack of material and his unexpected ascension into the top of the charts, every minute was made worthwhile thanks to Mika's boundless energy and fantastically spot on vocals. We could all only hope for the range he manages to produce so effortlessly! His band were, as ever, on top form, with guitar player Martin providing particularly effective backing vocals, his duet with Mika on 'Over My Shoulder' showing that he himself could likely cut it as a solo artist if he so chose.

Mika's music is very much a love it or hate it kind of thing. His throbbing, luscious pop stylings aren't for everyone, but he's been lucky enough to garner a large fanbase in a very short time frame, and his excitement and joy at the success this is bringing him is clearly evident at his gigs, which allow him to show that he can truly replicate live what most would imagine to be studio-tweaked vocals. The only way for Mika is up, based on this performance.

very nice!! :wub2:

is Birmingham Barfly in Brighton? Thought it was in Birmingham :confused: Is it just the name of the venue?

very nice!! :wub2:

is Birmingham Barfly in Brighton? Thought it was in Birmingham :confused: Is it just the name of the venue?

I think they meant the previous gig was at the Barfly in Birmingham:thumb_yello:

I think they meant the previous gig was at the Barfly in Birmingham:thumb_yello:

Thanks Rose :)

I'm not sure I get what you mean.... they're talking about Birmingham feb 07 and a previous Birmingham gig, held at the teeny tiny Academy 2 in front of no more than a couple of dozen onlookers..

I wonder why hotdlp wrote Brighton in the title

Mika

@ Barfly, Birmingham, 23 February 2007

He's split the nation, so which side are you on?

Grace Kelly still residing at Number One after five weeks suggests that plenty of people love him, but when someone hates him, they really despise him. He just seems to wind people up with his big hair, camp showmanship and impossibly catchy ditties. The aforementioned mega-hit is one of those rare beasts that treads the fine line between being teeth-grindingly annoying and irresistible.

Even if you think it's the worse thing in the world, you'd better get used to it, as it'll have already taken permanent residence in your skull. It sounds for all the world like a novelty song, but with a best-selling album now under his belt as well, it seems Mika's going to be around for a while yet.

Needless to say, there's a tangible atmosphere of excitement at seeing such a huge star in the Barfly's tiny setting. Those that bagged a ticket for a paltry £8 seem very pleased with themselves indeed, and they range from 14-year-old girls to their Heart FM-listening mums and dads. So it's an appreciative, if hardly raucous crowd that greets the big-haired one as he bounds onstage, takes his seat at the piano and launches into Relax, Take It Easy.

Mika's certainly an accomplished performer, but after a few songs, it all becomes a little dull and repetitive. Beneath the 'crazy' exterior lurks a hollow centre, a vacuum where the heart should be. The Freddie Mercury and Elton John influences are there for all to see and hear, but there's something missing; something that's difficult to pinpoint. It's like watching a drama school student asked to act out a role marked 'camp, eccentric entertainer': the moves are all in place, but where's the soul?

Initially, the energy of his performance makes his less palatable vocal histrionics tolerable, but soon a sense of crushing boredom sinks in and one can't help but wonder what all the fuss is about. The appearance of a couple of, well, big girls in corsets dancing around for Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) is a nice touch, and much of the audience does seem transfixed by his antics for a large portion of the show.

But that's the problem in a nutshell: it felt like a show rather than a gig, one in which the same routine is acted out again and again. This all matters little, as he'll probably be at Number One for another three months and then have numerous other huge hits and take over the world. But whether he has that special something (I refuse to call it the X-factor) to truly last the distance and emulate his heroes is debatable

So, the lasting impression left by this rising star? Love? Hate? Nah, just damning indifference.

- Adam Burling

http://www.musicomh.com/music/gigs/mika_0207.htm

-----

Which side are we on?? :naughty:

Think if he sees him live now, he'd notice the soul as well :wub2:

Which side are we on?? :naughty:

Think if he sees him live now, he'd notice the soul as well :wub2:

he should have definitely noticed the soul cuz there's nothing pretentious about mika's performances.

i cant believe that this person had the chance to listen to over my shoulder live and yet he was indifferent. how i wish i could listen to this song live one day:wub2:

just realised that i forgot to mention how much i've enjoyed reading this article! i love how the writer says that he can truly replicate the album vocals!