Posted a review at my blog

riotnikki

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the MFC! Your review is great and I have left a comment on your site. As I said on your site, I love that you GET MIKA and realise that he isn't just some happy clappy pop singer, that his work and voice have more depth. His lyrics always say something different than the tune implies.

I am always happy when Americans give Mika a great review, as I lould love to see him break big accross the pond!

Well done! :thumb_yello:

I'd love it if some of you wonderful Mika fans would leave some comments!:biggrin2:

http://www.closetkawaii.com/2009/10/kawaii-music-mika-the-boy-who-knew-too-much-review/

http://www.closetkawaii.com/2009/09/kawaii-music-mika/

I've just been reading the comments. Thanks for replying to mine. You are probably right that people won't call Mika a genius in his own right, until he's been around for a while longer. But ever since the first time I heard Love Today, I have known that Mika was someone very special. One day all the world will say so, but the people on this fan site will always know they recognised Mika as the bright star he is, before the general population did!

Thank you so much for the feedback, it is nice to be so warmly welcomed here. I really don't understand why Mika is not bigger here in the US since he is very attractive, has incredible music and is like a breath of fresh air compared to most of the crap that masquerades as music nowadays (and I don't mean to put anyone's faves down but I just cannot get into Lady Ga Ga for one example).

Finding Mika two years ago was like waking up into a dream, really. Not only did he have the musical chops and this irreverent soulfulness, I loved everything about how he marketed himself - his artwork, colorful kawaii-ness, adoration of robots and Japanese kitsch. It really resonates with me.

I really don't know much about him though and there seem to be so many inside-jokes on the site that I don't get. Is there a thread that explains things a bit to a novice like me?

I try not to think I am too creepy-weird for digging a guy who is only 26! It shouldn't matter I suppose since my heart is that of a child anyway.:wub2:

Thank you so much for the feedback, it is nice to be so warmly welcomed here. I really don't understand why Mika is not bigger here in the US since he is very attractive, has incredible music and is like a breath of fresh air compared to most of the crap that masquerades as music nowadays (and I don't mean to put anyone's faves down but I just cannot get into Lady Ga Ga for one example).

Finding Mika two years ago was like waking up into a dream, really. Not only did he have the musical chops and this irreverent soulfulness, I loved everything about how he marketed himself - his artwork, colorful kawaii-ness, adoration of robots and Japanese kitsch. It really resonates with me.

I really don't know much about him though and there seem to be so many inside-jokes on the site that I don't get. Is there a thread that explains things a bit to a novice like me?

I try not to think I am too creepy-weird for digging a guy who is only 26! It shouldn't matter I suppose since my heart is that of a child anyway.:wub2:

I am 55 years old! I don't think of him as someone I would sleep with, but as someone I would love to look after, like his mum, if his mum wasn't around. But I admit it did feel strange coming onto the MFC, thinking most of the fans would be teenagers. But I don't feel out of place on here. We are all ages, and all young at heart and all golden, like the beautiful boy himself.

Hey Nikki I totally agree with you about being mystified why Mika didn't atttract tons of attention with his LICM in the U.S.A.

I think part of it was no radio play amongst other things.

This time round with TBWKTM he is getting some major positive attention from critics, indutry people & new fans.

I also know how you feel when you describe Mika, his art & music.

There is a FAQ section here about a third of the way down the page that will fill you in on a lot of the information you want to know.

In the FAQ there is a sub section for MFC-in jokes & Mika info.

Enjoy!:thumb_yello:

That FAQ is a great read - good to know what all this stuff means now. Such dedicated fans - Mika is so incredibly fortunate.

It isn't easy to make a mark when the world is overly inundated with such mediocre musical talents. Unfortunately that means a lot of truly talented people never get the chance to have their say.

Once you get the chance to do your thing the problem becomes staying power - will you make it to the next album? Next tour? Does anyone still want what you are offering? Will you be a flash in the pan?

It's not like it was twenty years ago when there weren't as many media outlets all vying for attention. It was easier then to stand out. Now it is such a morass of competition that the pressure must be intense.

It is fans though ultimately that are the fuel to the fire. The support and encouragement fans give to the artist is everything and it is obvious that Mika understands this. To go from his first gig where he played to a crowd of 8 (and 3 were pissed that they had to pay) to 65,000 in France you've got to be able to keep perspective.

Mika's perspective doesn't suck and I say bravo to him and to all of you.