What do you think about Big Girls (You Are Beautiful) video ?

Yoppappop

Yeh, There are some contradictions in the video (bright colours/ grey weather..) some things still unfinished, as u said Yop, & done just to be done.

I really hope that they'll remix the video!!!

But here again It's just me.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart for having "big girls" in it, the video doesn't really fit the song... Like LebAngel said, the song has really strong beat and rythm, and they are just "walking in the street"... They look a bit "tired", "slowdowned", even "bored"... In the market part, the dance moves don't seem "finished" they just sort of intend them without doing them fully (in my opinion). It doesn't fit the lyrics either ! Totally out of the story of the song, still except for the "big girls"...

I gave my opinion in the other thread but I wanted to say I totally agree with you.

I liked the big girls, Mika and I don't mind the concept but they needed some lighting, better camerawork and most of all some proper editing. There are times when Mika is looking into one camera and the shot is shown from a different angle. This could be sorted out with editing and it's the difference between the tight, face-paced rhythm of the Love Today video and the sluggish pace of this one.

I find this video so bad it's actually entertaining and I will continue to watch it. But I think there is a problem here in that this will get little to no airplay in North America. I think this could have been a relatively popular single for Mika in the US because of the big girl theme and the fact that there is no falsetto. But this video is not going to cut it.

I thought I would post my opinion and pray to god I don't offend anyone on here. I saw the video this morning and I could'nt believe how poorly it was put together. We all know how AMAZING Mika's creativity is and maybe the video was not his idea at all...(I hope).

I am a "Big Girl", I've been big all my life, I fight w/my obesity everyday and I will never stop. I think being big is fine "if" your healthy. I feel like glorifying obesity does not do some of us "Big Girls" any favors. I guess I hoped there would be a little more "class" to the video. I felt almost embarrassed to watch it. The song is beautiful and sweet and shows what a genuine person our Mika is...but the video seemed so....uh, I don't know. I can't believe how dissappointing it was for me, and I NEVER thought I could feel this way about anything Mika does. Now don't get me wrong, I still love, love our Mika and will ALWAYS support him. Maybe I just don't "get it" as Mika would say.

I also agree with EVERYTHING you just said :thumb_yello: Adding that to what i said before about how "tired" and "bored" and "slow" they look, and the fact that it doesn't fit the song... I'm not gonna repeat :biggrin2:

So the title says it all... What do you think about it ?

If you haven't seen it yet, it's on youtube.

Personnally, i think it looks a bit "cheap" :blink: It's not bad, that's not what i mean, but yeah, cheap... I don't really like it, though...

i totally agree with you... I was actually a bit disappointed that it looked like that... when i first got the link, in the beginning i just thought i got some footage, but not the official version :(

... But I think there is a problem here in that this will get little to no airplay in North America. I think this could have been a relatively popular single for Mika in the US because of the big girl theme and the fact that there is no falsetto. But this video is not going to cut it.

It is possible that they make another video for the US market... A lot of artists do that, cause the difference of reaction between the 2 audiences is so important, that they have to make a 2nd video (Paolo Nuttini did that for the New Shoes song, for example, but it definitely not the only one ! Just the one i can remember for now cause it's recent). So they MAY do that for Big Girl... Or just fail the single lauching :naughty: Just kidding... :fisch:

I agree, Mika MUST get the airplay here in the U.S., But I don't know if that particular video is going to cut it here. I'm not in the industry but if myself......a HUGE HUGE MIKA FAN can't bear to watch it........hmmmmmmm who knows?

well, i can see what you mean, but i don think that video will be well recived in engalnd either...maybe they SHOULD make another? ohhh i feel really bad now - WE STILL LOVE THE SONG MIKA!!!

Yes the song is BEAUTIFUL! But the video does not give it any justice.

I gave my opinion in the other thread but I wanted to say I totally agree with you.

I find this video so bad it's actually entertaining and I will continue to watch it. But I think there is a problem here in that this will get little to no airplay in North America. I think this could have been a relatively popular single for Mika in the US because of the big girl theme and the fact that there is no falsetto. But this video is not going to cut it.

Really!!!

I think Big girl is the song which can really push Mika in the American charts, in my opinion they adopt a bad strategy with this video...

As I already said I hope that video won't be negative for him...

maybe u'll have a special one who knows...

It is possible that they make another video for the US market... A lot of artists do that, cause the difference of reaction between the 2 audiences is so important, that they have to make a 2nd video (Paolo Nuttini did that for the New Shoes song, for example.

They did another one for Last Request as well because they didn't like the guns in the UK version, which I thought was pretty ironic since Americans are far more gun loving than the Brits.

If they're going to release Big Girls in the US they have to do another video.

So the title says it all... What do you think about it ?

If you haven't seen it yet, it's on youtube.

Personnally, i think it looks a bit "cheap" :blink: It's not bad, that's not what i mean, but yeah, cheap... I don't really like it, though...

What about you ? Putting apart the fact that you're in it :naughty: (if you are)

Yes, it´s looks "cheap", but I like anyway.

But Grace Kelly and Love Today is so much better! <3

What do I think of the video...

My first thought was 'something is missing'. A 'sparkling' element. And I can't really put my finger on it. Well, I don't like the cut-and-paste way it has been put together and I think the background is not very inspiring. But it is hard to say what I really miss.

But... I love the fact that it is filmed out in the open and not in a studio. I love the Big Girls. And I think I can live with the fact that it looks a bit like a home video. It's not too bad. Home video technique was used for the Danish film 'Festen' and that one did quite well actually. :wink2:

They did another one for Last Request as well because they didn't like the guns in the UK version, which I thought was pretty ironic since Americans are far more gun loving than the Brits.

If they're going to release Big Girls in the US they have to do another video.

I didn't know that... Pretty ironic INDEED ! :blink::naughty:

What do I think of the video...

My first thought was 'something is missing'. A 'sparkling' element. And I can't really put my finger on it. Well, I don't like the cut-and-paste way it has been put together and I think the background is not very inspiring. But it is hard to say what I really miss.

But... I love the fact that it is filmed out in the open and not in a studio. I love the Big Girls. And I think I can live with the fact that it looks a bit like a home video. It's not too bad. Home video technique was used for the Danish film 'Festen' and that one did quite well actually. :wink2:

I don't really mind that it looks "home-made", it's not what i have a problem with... It the whole thing... It could actually have looked "home-made" and have been good :naughty::roftl: Ok, i stop it, now, it's harrassment ! :thumb_yello:

I personally love the video just the way it is! And please don't take anything the wrong way and read this all, I don't know how to say exactly what I want to say, so I apoligize if anything is taken the wrong way. I totally believe in Big Girls, and this video was tasteful, I thought!!!

So don't kill me, please.

I think it is sooooooo cute! I'm a big girl too, and I take pride in it, too. I think it comes off very real, but there are a lot of ways you could interpret that in the video. But I think it looks like real life. A song like this is about what we really see in real life, not glammed up. Just all these big girls coloring our world!

And I think the dancing was just enough, it was really cute. Any more might've been too much, like, "WE'RE ALL UP IN YOUR FACE!" Not exactly, and I'm exaggerating. Not that that's bad! But I think that the video just showed how normal it is.

What am I trying to say?... Oh here! The video I think more or less said, Big Girls, you're beautiful, too. And now I may be reading into it too much, but there's a line that can be crossed on this subject to the point of saying, We're big girls, and we're better than skinny people. Now, the video and song don't say this all. I think it just showed that big girls are here, too, and we should be recognized as equally beautiful, because we are, but if they were any more glammed up , there's a line that could be crossed, like "We're more beautiful than skinny people." Chunky Pam (1:35!!!!) (

) who is just down right offensive. This video doesn't and never could come close to that, not at all saying like, screw skinny people, we're better than that. We're all the same. We're beautiful just the way we are. We don't need to glam up! We're part of everyday life! We don't need to say we're better than anyone! We should be recognized the way we are. Big Girls, and aaaallllll the people (look at all the different people on the street in the vid, too) Are Beautiful, too. I think the down-earth sense in this video is good- Big Girls are everyday, beautiful life!

i dont hate it - far from it, i oove the concept, but it's missing madness which is mika's trade mark - it's not like love today and grace kelley where youi dowlad the video to watch it OVER AND OVER again, but where you do it judt for the song. i do love the big girls though, and his braces...but it's still mmssing something.

I personally love the video just the way it is! And please don't take anything the wrong way and read this all, I don't know how to say exactly what I want to say, so I apoligize if anything is taken the wrong way. I totally believe in Big Girls, and this video was tasteful, I thought!!!

I think it is sooooooo cute! I'm a big girl too, and I take pride in it, too. I think it comes off very real, but there are a lot of ways you could interpret that in the video. But I think it looks like real life. A song like this is about what we really see in real life, not glammed up. Just all these big girls coloring our world!

And I think the dancing was just enough, it was really cute. Any more might've been too much, like, "WE'RE ALL UP IN YOUR FACE!" Not exactly, and I'm exaggerating. Not that that's bad! But I think that the video just showed how normal it is.

What am I trying to say?... Oh here! The video I think more or less said, Big Girls, you're beautiful, too. And now I may be reading into it too much, but there's a line that can be crossed on this subject to the point of saying, We're big girls, and we're better than skinny people. Now, the video and song don't say this all. I think it just showed that big girls are here, too, and we should be recognized as equally beautiful, because we are, but if they were any more glammed up , there's a line that could be crossed, like "We're more beautiful than skinny people." Chunky Pam (1:35!!!!) (

) who is just down right offensive. This video doesn't and never could come close to that, not at all saying like, screw skinny people, we're better than that. We're all the same. We're beautiful just the way we are. We don't need to glam up! We're part of everyday life! We don't need to say we're better than anyone! We should be recognized the way we are. Big Girls, and aaaallllll the people (look at all the different people on the street in the vid, too) Are Beautiful, too. I think the down-earth sense in this video is good- Big Girls are everyday, beautiful life!

Yu´ve got a point there. Big girls are also beautiful!

I´m not at big girl, but I love this song, it´s makes me happy, becouse of the lyrics. <3

And.. sorry for my Enlish.. :P

And I think the dancing was just enough, it was really cute. Any more might've been too much, like, "BITCHEZZ!! WE'RE ALL UP IN YOUR FACE!" Not exactly, and I'm exaggerating. Not that that's bad! But I think that the video just showed how normal it is.

There's no reason to take what you say in a bad way ! Nobody's gonna kill you :wink2:

I agree with what you said, with the whole signification of the video and everything, that in the end, no matter big or whatever, we're all beautiful (biiiiiig shortcut :wink2: )... But you have to agree that as "real" that it's supposed to be, you don't "really" see big girls in tiny laced bright coloured undies walking down the street :wink2: I'm exagerating of course. So it's not supposed to look THAT real...

But once again, talking only about the quality of the video (different plans, cuts...), the time they spend thinking about it before doing the video, the implication of the dancers and so on, it's not really what i could call something well done... They didn't have to take the bitch attitude to dance in an implicated way ! They just had to believe in what they were doing... And it doesn't look like they were believing in anything BUT "how ridiculous am i at the moment" (no offense at all). It looks like it's been done in a rush.

And one more thing : i don't think that every Mika video should look like colourful madness and should have psychedelic images, just because it's Mika and it looks loke Mika, he can do whatever he wants to in his videos, change style, bla bla bla, i'm not expecting any style at all ! I just don't like this video in itself...

I didn't know that... Pretty ironic INDEED ! :blink::naughty:

Yeah it's not as good as the original and, unlike the UK New Shoes, the original Last Request was already pretty slick. So I'm not sure what they were thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv5bqU7WMW8

Mika seems to have a lot more control over what he's doing in the US than Paolo Nutini, whose US opportunities have been squandered by trying to push a mediocre single instead of repeating the successful path he took in the UK. Even though it's stretching him pretty thin, I think Mika made a good move trying to release everything almost simultaneously around the world.

Maybe they've got a different plan for Big Girl as a single in the US market though.