Contactmusic.com - Mika on Unrealistic Music Videos

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i totally agree. pop videos nowadays are just boring. especially the girls - theyre honestly just sex-objects. at least when mika gyrates and dances like there is no tomorrow, he's not wearing a mini-skirt so short you ca see his butt! but that would be quite nice i suppose.....

Misquoted or not I don't really agree with what Mika is saying. How is a big girl parading through the market in a sequined corset some sort of hyper reality, but a thin girl covered in bling sheer fantasy? It's not like thin women don't exist, they just normally don't walk around in expensive jewellery. Just like big girls don't normally walk around in sequined corsets.

I remember him discussing this in response to criticisms that the subjects of his songs were weird and that when he walks down the street he sees fat women and not what is portrayed in hip hop videos. But I've lived in South Kensington and I can tell you that you're just as likely to see a Maserati or a Ferrari when you walk out the door as you are to see a fat woman. In fact most women in upscale London neighborhoods are thin.

in response to his ongs being wierd - hell yeah! what's your point? how do you know what you percive as normal is not wierd to us?

and i call tell you - i am a stickly girl, and i certainly dont walk around in expensive jewelery - in fact, im lucky if i can lay my hands on a pair of pants that fit.

I can't stand hip-hop videos. I know it sounds awful of me to use such a huge generalization, but they're all full of half-naked girls waggling their bums to overused bass lines and offensive and degrading lyrics! I'm all for freedom of speech and expression, but I'm just not into that type of music. Some people are, but not me. :)

I kind of get what Mika was saying, though. I think maybe he wants something more people can relate to that rap vids can't give you. You don't see many rap songs talking about gay men and Grace Kelly! Sure, his world is fantasy and whatnot, but I'd much rather relate to Mika's stories than Three 6 Mafia's. :lmao:

(no offense to anyone who likes rap :) )