My mika mention: fashion report

BonjourMika1990

ON SUSPENDERS... just thought i'd share it with you... hopfully with my presentation tomorrow in class, i'll convert people onto mikaism lol... who'll be able to resist?!

Suspenders

Suspenders or braces as they are called in Europe are in the pre peak phase of being accepted into the fashion world. They first appeared during the early 20th century and were dawned by older men in society. Now, suspenders have become a trademark accessory for people wanting to achieve a unique and quirky flare. Women in the 80’s, for instance, paired this accessory with skirts and even wore them like their boyfriends under blazers. Larry King, in every decade, has been known for his trademark set of suspenders. Now a days however, he is not the only one. In Europe especially, “braces†are on the rise. British pop sensation MIKA is responsible for the catapulting popularity of this accessory. His trademark in the beginning of his career was what got him noticed by people all over the globe. He is known for pairing colorful suspenders with skinny brightly colored pants. In this way, it is obvious that those who wear suspenders are not afraid of being noticed. Currently, this trend is meant mainly as a playful means of self expression. However, most recently they have made their way onto high fashion runways making it impossible to resist their quirky appeal. In the seasons to come, suspenders may not reach staple item status, but they will continue to be a favorite among the brave fashion forward thinkers.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

donned not dawned :bleh:

i like it, informative and not dry or wordy. just some grammar/rewording, like "vibrant" instead of "brightly colored" and use "suspenders" instead of "them" in the boyfriends sentence.

impress your mates and make us proud. :wink2:

Er, if this is for class, you may get points off for the fact that the reintroduction of suspenders as a trend has nothing to do with Mika, and is in fact simply part of the return-to-Androgyny look of a few seasons ago (wayyy before Mika).

Several seasons ago, the women's look (especially for the fall season) made a powerful return to femininity, with lace and satin fabrics, lots of free-falling, soft draperies and corseted and ribboned styles. (You may remember this--it was when all the Victorian-ish and Romantic-type stuff started reappearing, and pearls-with-ribbons became the big thing.) To liven this up, the next spring look shifted the Victorian look into a new androgyny, with a women's vests, striped trousers and suspenders coming to be layered onto the ruffled poet blouses and paired with flowers, etc.

For the very last few seasons we've been swinging into a retro look, first with the 50s polkadot and daydress revival, and then the latest thing with the a-line brightly patterned hipster dresses that are kind of a cross between 60s mod and 80s fashion (and we're stuck in pretty solid 80s territory now, though they've been steadily coming back for the last 5 years or so). But since all these trends tend to overlap, the androgyny look has remained, together with the suspenders that it brought about. Now it's actually passing rather than peaking though... at least around NY, I would say...

--Jack

Er, if this is for class, you may get points off for the fact that the reintroduction of suspenders as a trend has nothing to do with Mika, and is in fact simply part of the return-to-Androgyny look of a few seasons ago (wayyy before Mika).

Several seasons ago, the women's look (especially for the fall season) made a powerful return to femininity, with lace and satin fabrics, lots of free-falling, soft draperies and corseted and ribboned styles. (You may remember this--it was when all the Victorian-ish and Romantic-type stuff started reappearing, and pearls-with-ribbons became the big thing.) To liven this up, the next spring look shifted the Victorian look into a new androgyny, with a women's vests, striped trousers and suspenders coming to be layered onto the ruffled poet blouses and paired with flowers, etc.

For the very last few seasons we've been swinging into a retro look, first with the 50s polkadot and daydress revival, and then the latest thing with the a-line brightly patterned hipster dresses that are kind of a cross between 60s mod and 80s fashion (and we're stuck in pretty solid 80s territory now, though they've been steadily coming back for the last 5 years or so). But since all these trends tend to overlap, the androgyny look has remained, together with the suspenders that it brought about. Now it's actually passing rather than peaking though... at least around NY, I would say...

--Jack

WOW very informative... did you take a fashion class or something? way cool... but the assignment isn't so technical for me... just a brief paragraph on my impression of the trend and a collage... fun stuff... though if I decide to actually get into the fashion industry, I'll know who to talk to... you know your stuff :) Oh and the mention of mika was because we had to talk about who's wearing the look today... and I thought "why not?" lol