Simple misunderstandings between countries

babyblue

I have regular noticed when talking to people overseas that words that seem common to me, often aren't used over there of have different meanings.

Things such as Jelly, jello, jam, preserve and conserve drama

Or trying to explain what a bogan is (which is a oft used Aussie term).

And Crisps and chips

So I thought I would start a thread

What words are often used in your country but you find yourself having to explain on here? What sentences or phrases are misunderstood and you have to repeat or search for an image to explain yourself?

Maybe this thread will help with understanding. I feel I have learnt a lot on here as is, and am eager for some more learning

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cookies and biscuits.:naughty:

Biscuits are the things that are made out of bread dough, and you stick them in the over, then take them out, cut them in half, and put butter on top.

Cookies are the things with chocolate chips, peanut butter chunks, and oatmeal.:thumb_yello:

Ah yes... I remember this one coming up

We use cookies and biscuits pretty similar here... but your biscuits are kind of similar to scones from the sound...(less sugary etc)

Yup. I don't think there's any sugar in them whatsoever. Flower, water, eggs... that's pretty much it.

And LOL Hannah. I know. Someone said something on here once about Mika's pants, and I'm like "...what's all the excitement? Geez."

Pants and trousers are the same here as well...

Where are they different? I'd find it odd to call it differntly

Okay, a simple one is McDonalds..

Alot of aussies I know tend to call it Maccas (less syllables)... others have never heard it referred to as this. Micky Ds is an obvious one as well

Alot of aussies I know tend to call it Maccas (less syllables)... others have never heard it referred to as this. Micky Ds is an obvious one as well

In the UK, trousers are the term for pants, and 'pants' is short for 'underpants.'

I say Micky D's here, too.

They're different in the states. And I'm pretty positive they're different in Canada, too. It's like on the Friday Night Project, and they give away 'pants'. Then I found out it's underwear.

McDonalds, Micky D's. Nothing else.:naughty:

I see...

We get a few Maccas around, Bazzas, Kezza, Shazza and Lazza as well...

Their popular Bogan-ish nicknames

AND THAT'S ANOTHER THING!

Why do people in Britain always add 'az' to the end of their names?!

I used to know a girl named Karin, and everyone called her 'Kaz'. My name is Sarie, so she'd call me 'Saz'

What the hell.:sneaky2:

Hmm.... we'll have to wait for some british people to arrive to answer that one :wink2:

COME ONNNNN, I know there's a bunch of you brits lurking around here. Answer me!

They just don't have a reasonable explanation.:sneaky2:

(:naughty: )

I know.. its so weird...

Sometimes i jump on having gotten up and people are going to bed

I remember once I was talking to Scut Monkey on here, and she had to go to bed because it was night time, and then I was still here when she woke up the next morning. :naughty: It was bizarre.