Theories About Stuck In The Middle

CallieFornia

I'm really sorry if Mika doesn't like me speculating about this, but I'm curious - does anyone has any theories as to what Stuck In The Middle could be about?

I always thought that maybe it was about his relationship with his mum, and also finding it difficult to become independent from her.

'Looking at life from the perspective of a boy, who's learnt to love you but has also learnt to grow' - To me this suggests he is close to someone (his mum?) but also he is becoming more indepent.

'Stuck in the middle' is possibly referring to his transition from childhood to adulthood, and 'who wants to love me, just to love me' talks about his need for security.

I look at you, you look at me, we bite eachother' - Meaning arguments they may have had?

'Ours is a family that's based upon tradition, but with my careless words I tread upon your vision, are five kids better than one' - This is self-explanitory, and is what originally made me think it might be about someone in his family.

'This is just who I am, this ain't a greater plan to break your heart over me, I know that what I've started, means that when we have parted I can live in honesty' - People could be lead to believe from this it is talking about a romantic relationship, but if you look at it carefully that couldjust as easily be referring to a dispute within his family. 'When we have parted' could easily be referring to his leaving home.

Let me know what you think - I'd love to hear more opinions!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a theory that I really don't want to go into with great detail, just in case I'm right.

Mika spoke a bit about it on a Much Music interview. Basically, he spoke about how it was generally about his mother, and the transition that you go through when you're in "that age."

I'm really sorry if Mika doesn't like me speculating about this, but I'm curious - does anyone has any theories as to what Stuck In The Middle could be about?

I always thought that maybe it was about his relationship with his mum, and also finding it difficult to become independent from her.

'Looking at life from the perspective of a boy, who's learnt to love you but has also learnt to grow' - To me this suggests he is close to someone (his mum?) but also he is becoming more indepent.

'Stuck in the middle' is possibly referring to his transition from childhood to adulthood, and 'who wants to love me, just to love me' talks about his need for security.

I look at you, you look at me, we bite eachother' - Meaning arguments they may have had?

'Ours is a family that's based upon tradition, but with my careless words I tread upon your vision, are five kids better than one' - This is self-explanitory, and is what originally made me think it might be about someone in his family.

'This is just who I am, this ain't a greater plan to break your heart over me, I know that what I've started, means that when we have parted I can live in honesty' - People could be lead to believe from this it is talking about a romantic relationship, but if you look at it carefully that couldjust as easily be referring to a dispute within his family. 'When we have parted' could easily be referring to his leaving home.

Let me know what you think - I'd love to hear more opinions!

I don't think it has anything to do with a romantic relationship either.

The coming of age...growing up..realizations...makes more sense

I agree it does sound like a dispute between him and his family ..over something I am not totally sure tho

I agree it does sound like a dispute between him and his family ..over something I am not totally sure tho

Hi Suzanne. If you're okay with me saying this, I think it may be about the cultural differences he has experienced and how it has caused friction because his mum is very into having a traditional Lebonese family.

Yes. It is a total coming-of-age song, through and through.

It's, in my opinion, about the natural process of growing up. When you're in your late teens, early twenties, you're at the point in your life where your parents are not who they used to be. Now they're people, not the mighty figures that used to watch over you, wash your clothes, make sure you brush your teeth before bed. They seem to latch onto you, not wanting to let go, even though you want to spread your wings and fly. You may have different lifestyle choices than they want you to have, you may want to live your life in a completely different way. The song is about that point when you're breaking away, and you're trying to get out of that chokehold where you can't do what you want without being snapped at if you're not agreed with. It's that power-struggle, and the attempts to get away, do what you feel and live your life.

Yes. It is a total coming-of-age song, through and through.

It's, in my opinion, about the natural process of growing up. When you're in your late teens, early twenties, you're at the point in your life where your parents are not who they used to be. Now they're people, not the mighty figures that used to watch over you, wash your clothes, make sure you brush your teeth before bed. They seem to latch onto you, not wanting to let go, even though you want to spread your wings and fly. You may have different lifestyle choices than they want you to have, you may want to live your life in a completely different way. The song is about that point when you're breaking away, and you're trying to get out of that chokehold where you can't do what you want without being snapped at if you're not agreed with. It's that power-struggle, and the attempts to get away and do what you want.

wow! my thoughts exactly....that is my theory too actually

Whoa, wait, am I missing something?

I didn't know we weren't supposed to talk about SITM.

why didn't I know this?:boxed:

It's not that we aren't supposed to talk about it, but Mika has said that it is a very personal song for him and he'd rather keep the meaning private.

Yeah. I think it's about that, but more specific of course. It sounds very simple, but when you sort of analyze it, it's very complex.

I do find it very complex indeed!!!!!!!!!

there are some big issues in that song and more than one I am sure!!

I do find it very complex indeed!!!!!!!!!

there are some big issues in that song and more than one I am sure!!

I agree. It's very...revealing, I suppose the word is. Even though, of course, it's not definite that the song is about that, and Mika will probably never confirm, but it's definitely one of those songs where you get a sense of the person who wrote it, if you understand.

Whoa, wait, am I missing something?

I didn't know we weren't supposed to talk about SITM.

why didn't I know this?:boxed:

you see I don't like to go into details ..just generalities

its kind of a personal song for me too...it seems to resonate and still does

It's not that we aren't supposed to talk about it, but Mika has said that it is a very personal song for him and he'd rather keep the meaning private.

Oh, I didn't know that.

I always just thought it was about his family.

Yup............there's a complex issue at every line!! :blink:

I think there's an awful lot being said in this song that doesn't get picked up on by the casual observer.

People in general and the press go on and on about the Grace Kelly/Freddie Mercury thing, the Billy Brown bisexuality and whether it's autobiographical and whether he really likes Big girls......when it's clear to us who take a proper interest that he is story telling in the 'third person' for these songs.

However, with SITM......there's no getting away from its 'first person' style.

I have heard him say it's about the relationship with both his Mother and Grandmother and the point you reach when you realise they don't control your life they way they used to.

As for the rest of it's meanings..........I think we all seem to have plenty of ideas as to what they may be!! :wink2:

Vix x

I listen to SITM a lot, it's like seeing a glint of Mika's soul.

I listen to the words and try to figure it out.

I always thought it's something between his grandmother and him.

And I have my personal opinion what it's about but I think I better keep

that for myself.

But I think;someday we will know

I listen to SITM a lot, it's like seeing a glint of Mika's soul.

I listen to the words and try to figure it out.

I always thought it's something between his grandmother and him.

And I have my personal opinion what it's about but I think I better keep

that for myself.

But I think;someday we will know

Yup!! :wink2:

Vix x