Not bad for an encore

greta

Meet Mika, the singing, songwriting pianist who can don a donkey suit on stage and not make an ass out of himself

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080131.wmika0131/BNStory/Entertainment/home

Mika

At Kool Haus in Toronto on Tuesday

Streamers streamed, confetti flurried, balloons bounced and an international-flavoured pop star in a donkey suit did not make a jackass out of himself at all. The frolicking strains of Teddy Bears Picnic petered out and the animal-costumed members of the band removed their heads, leaving a jubilant audience with a final lick at Lollipop - a cautionary song against the peril of too much of a good thing, gaily set to a skip-roping rhythm and a carefree melody. “Suck too hard on your on your lollipop,” went the kiddie-voiced chorus, “oh, love's gonna let you down.”

Now you know the answer to the question “What does Mika (pronounced Mee-ka), an all-of-a-sudden success story from 2007, do for an encore a year on?” If anyone among the 2,000 or so at Kool Haus was let down, it was well after the sugar-high spectacle was over.

0131mika500big.jpg

Life and art are surreal for the boyish singing, songwriting pianist who titled his smash debut album Life in Cartoon Motion, an allusion to his (and all of our) tumults, twists and unlikely transitions. The disc has sold more than four million copies worldwide since its release almost a year ago, but it hasn't been all huzzahs and candy for the Beirut-born Brit. When introducing the playful piano pop of Billy Brown, the mop-haired 24-year-old recalled when the honcho of his record label, Tommy Mottola, told him that the song about a man's puzzled sexual identity would “never be released in the United States.”

The bouncy Billy Brown was theatrical - a fantastical meeting of Barry Manilow and Freddie Mercury - and an instant introduction to Mika's manner. The verse is sung in an amiable, almost talkative, voice, with the chorus showcasing an acrobatic falsetto. Lyrics, about coming to terms with one's peculiarities, are empowering. Same with the upbeat burlesque of Big Girl (You Are Beautiful), performed with a pair of dancing plus-sized women in intimate apparel - “You take your girl and multiply her by four, because a whole lot of women need a whole lot more.”

Massive hit Grace Kelly was bombastic-pop autobiography: a misunderstood and underappreciated character who tries on different personas to gain acceptance, wondering, “Why don't you like me, why don't you like me?”

Other than a sound glitch late in the show, what wasn't to like? Well, Mika is highly charismatic, but he wasn't the showman I had expected. He's hardly shy - off with the shirt and on top of the drum set at one point - but he has room to grow bolder, more polished.

The indications are that there is indeed more to come. Before the opening breathy-voiced disco number Relax, a butterfly girl emerged from a cocoon onstage. This guy Mika, he's not through evolving yet either.

Born: Michael Penniman, Aug. 18, 1983, in Beirut, to a Lebanese mother and an American father.

Early life: Family left war-torn Lebanon for Paris, and eventually moved to London. Developed an appreciation for music after a childhood mental breakdown.

Musical background: As a boy, wrote commercial jingles and performed at the Royal Opera House before enrolling in the Royal College of Music.

Discography: 2007's flamboyant debut Life in Cartoon Motion, nominated for four Brit Awards and one Grammy (best dance song, for Love Today).

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the article..:thumb_yello:

Not over keen on the Barry Manilow reference though I must admit :roftl: But it's a step up from Leo Sayer :naughty:

well, at least it is based on his music and not his looks.:naughty: And Barry Manilow sold more record than Leo Sayer...

but still don't understand the connection, either:blink:

That's a really nice review, very perceptive, and well written, thanks for posting.

Not over keen on the Barry Manilow reference though I must admit :roftl: But it's a step up from Leo Sayer :naughty:

A great review, and I agree with the person who wrote it. Mika is evolving and there is a lot more to come from him. Even though he's amazing already. but I already see a difference between footage of his earlier concerts, like KOKO LONDON (shown recently on Channel 4) and the later gigs. Edit: About Barry Manilow. Actually, I remember him well. He used to write songs on different subjects and they usually told a story. Whether it was about a man who's wife found another man in The Bermuda Triangle, or the story of an alcoholic showgirl, who's lover was murdered in a nightclub. I never see Mika as being like anybody really, but the Mannilow connection makes more sense, and is more of a complement, than comparing him to Prince, or Leo Sayer.

Love today, from Marilyn