Don't scream, there are so many roads left: It didn't happen for me afterall

NYU

NYU sent a lovely rejection letter to me.

I don't really know how to express what I feel right now. Pulling up to my house,I was listening to RELAX and I just sort of knew... and when I saw the little letter I realized that it wasn't going to happen for me.

37000 applications... and me.

I'm sad, but the worst I think has passed...telling everyone will hurt me... BUT now I have to find another school...Columbia is where i went to over the summer...I think they'll accept me. I do love it over there as well.

Right now, I'm pretty much just feeling dissapointed...but also relieved. This means I won't be moving across the country...this means that I have a year here to stay closer to home in the city.

I'M OK:thumb_yello:

Like Mika says, "There are so many roads left..."

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's okay, I just got rejected from Brown a few minutes ago. My first rejection. But you know, colleges just do not make sense sometimes. They're very much concerned with statistics, from what area they accept students, and all that. Northeastern would only accept me for Spring 2009, but I got in to nuch better schools after that. :mf_rosetinted There's no rhyme or reason!

I'm still waiting to hear froom my tooppppp choice. And it's not in the mail today, DAMMIT.

Don't be sad, you know, it's true about the roads.

A friend of mine desperately wanted to become a pilot. He wanted it from his earliest childhood on and so he planned to join the army for a few years to be able to do the flight training there (as it is very expensive and in the army the conditions for payment and/or following obligations are the most favourable). He even had sugery on one of his eyes in advance of his application because he hoped it could ameliorate his chance to be accepted.

As it often is observed in life, the upshot was that he was not accepted because of some stupid regulation. I don't remember the exact reason but it was something really silly, like being about one cm too short. He was devastated but somehow he managed to pull himself together, carry on and start academic studies, I think it was Mechanical Engineering. It was not what he had been dreaming of and I think it was twist of fate when he didn't pass an important exam for the third time, which gets you kicked out of your study course here. Twist of fate because it was just at that time he got an affordable offer of an airline, started his flight training and made his dream come true.

What I want to say is just that it is not so unlikely to end up doing what makes you the happiest. Maybe not immediately but sooner or later. And as you are one of those with a dream, I'm positive you'll get there. Just never give up and keep in mind that the greatest opportunities often come at times when we least expect them.

Don't be sad, you know, it's true about the roads.

A friend of mine desperately wanted to become a pilot. He wanted it from his earliest childhood on and so he planned to join the army for a few years to be able to do the flight training there (as it is very expensive and in the army the conditions for payment and/or following obligations are the most favourable). He even had sugery on one of his eyes in advance of his application because he hoped it could ameliorate his chance to be accepted.

As it often is observed in life, the upshot was that he was not accepted because of some stupid regulation. I don't remember the exact reason but it was something really silly, like being about one cm too short. He was devastated but somehow he managed to pull himself together, carry on and start academic studies, I think it was Mechanical Engineering. It was not what he had been dreaming of and I think it was twist of fate when he didn't pass an important exam for the third time, which gets you kicked out of your study course here. Twist of fate because it was just at that time he got an affordable offer of an airline, started his flight training and made his dream come true.

What I want to say is just that it is not so unlikely to end up doing what makes you the happiest. Maybe not immediately but sooner or later. And as you are one of those with a dream, I'm positive you'll get there. Just never give up and keep in mind that the greatest opportunities often come at times when we least expect them.

Thank you:blush-anim-cl: I'm not giving up, I'll make it to new york someday...that's basically why I wanted to go to NYU...for the city.

It's okay, I just got rejected from Brown a few minutes ago. My first rejection. But you know, colleges just do not make sense sometimes. They're very much concerned with statistics, from what area they accept students, and all that. Northeastern would only accept me for Spring 2009, but I got in to nuch better schools after that. :mf_rosetinted There's no rhyme or reason!

I'm still waiting to hear froom my tooppppp choice. And it's not in the mail today, DAMMIT.

*sigh* waiting is the hardest part... Good luck with your top choice:thumb_yello:

Yeah, I don't understand the process too much. From personal experience I know that Notre Dame is very concerned about keeping it in the family 'cause the alumni are looked at before anyone else. Also, if you have family that works there you get bumped up to the top of the list even if you don't have that great of grades. My neighbor has been working there for about 25 years and his daughter got excepted and she wasn't even in the top 20 and didn't have a great SAT score or anything. Then last year Notre Dame rejected the top 5 kids in my brother's class including my brother. He didn't get an amazing score on his SAT but it was still all right and he graduated with a 4.2 and he was FIFTH. The valedictorian graduated with a 4.3 (all A+'s, which is amazing) and got a good SAT score and got rejected. Notre Dame's excuse was that that year they had the most applicants ever. I don't understand how colleges decide to do the things they do. Anyway, my brother applied at Holy Cross and less than a week later, got a letter from them stating they'd love to have him there and would give him $3,500 a semester. It saved money too because he can still live at home. Most of the Holy Cross kids transfer to Notre Dame so he's looking to do that. It just sucks to know that if you don't have connections at Notre Dame, you're screwed, and then there's this girl who brags about how she'll get in because her dad works there. I was like, "Make sure you get accepted before you start telling everyone that..."

Hey guys!

Thanks for your well wishes...it truly made me feel better.

This set back has only made me stronger... and I know that I could have made it, but there were just too many applicants... they said they can't accept everyone with high credentials...

and the stats. thing is very true... they have a certain quota to fill yearly... for hispanics for example, 7% are admitted.

I'm not gonna lie, it still feels really sucky... but I guess I'm excited for next year...applying to more schools in nyc... It just wasn't my time yet. BUT I WILL LIVE THERE ONE DAY. CHICAGO IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE, AND I AM LUCKY TO CALL IT HOME...AND I'M GONNA BE ON MY OWN FAR ENOUGH FROM HOME:punk: BUT NOT TOO FAR WHICH IS REALLY COMFORTING.