MIKA is educational!

I wrote a paper yesterday regarding the music industry and how many artists don't get airtime due to the Monopolization of US radio stations, and of course I referenced MIKA in an entire paragraph :biggrin2:

When my research involves going to the MFC...of course I got 100%!!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote a paper yesterday regarding the music industry and how many artists don't get airtime due to the Monopolization of US radio stations, and of course I referenced MIKA in an entire paragraph

US Radios. Interesting.Who else did you mention in that article?

I talked a lot about Scissor Sisters as well and The Feeling. Just bands in general who are HUGE in other countries and hardly get a chance here in the States.

well i assume you've been doing a huge investiagtion research so is it always about campiness? or not?

well i assume you've been doing a huge investiagtion research so is it always about campiness? or not?

For the most part yes. A lot of it has to do with homophobia. While we don't know if MIKA is gay or not, he is very campy and appears in a lot of gay press. Scissor Sisters have gay members as does The Feeling...it's just interesting to see how unwilling American audiences are percieved to be when it comes to accepting gayness in any form in their music...it's obvious that there's a market for campy music, but a big part of it is that a lot of the big corporations who control radio are very conservative. Therefore, we are left with no MIKA on the radio :(

i think it has to do with money (not with homophobia or the color of your hair actually) if tomorrow there were no middlemen left to pay the radios who pass celine dion, we wouldnt hear that woman anymore (thanks god)(but it just an example,so it wont happen ,whatever)

independent american radio promotion is a BIG part of the budget of an artist, you have to pay independent promotion to get your song on the radio( that's where the record companies use middlemen so they can pretend not to know that american radio stations <the unifiedbroadcastsystem> are getting paid to play their records.

All of those independent promotion costs are charged to the band of course

BUT what if some records companies just based the strategy of their PRODUCT on different plattforms?would they care if the little fan wouldnt hear his/her idol on the radio???no, they wouldnt, because the little fan who would have discovered the song for instance via you tube (teen target) and would have asked his/her parents to by the cd/dvd/etc. to put it simply : Kerching!(not for the artist though!! for the ****ing music company!)

1/3 of the revenuof the music industry (50 billion/a year businessbtw) comes from the US of A. The annual sales of CDs/dvds etc. are larger than the grossnational product of eighties countries.

it all depends on the strategy you use to sell (the product) but it's much more complicated and i wont speak for mika...just paste a part of an article about it, it's justa little part of it (the whole thing is really interesting btw...)

Iain Watt (mika 's manager)(on what they did with "the project")

There is so much one can do with pop stars these days. Now they can be marketed on YouTube and MySpace, and you can use them to sell myriad products. In America, Mika's music was selling mobile phones before his first record was released. In Britain, his face was flogging Paul Smith before the public knew him as Mika.

If you can put the artist on all those platforms, young kids can discover him on YouTube or MySpace, older listeners can hear him on Radio 2, and then hipsters can feel safe buying Mika because they've seen him in a Paul Smith campaign," Watt says. "If you asked the Arctic Monkeys to be in a Paul Smith campaign, they'd tell you to **** off. If the campaign had been for, say, George at Asda, we wouldn't have done it." Why not? "We need to associate him with the right partners. This was his introduction to the media, and we based it on credibility in terms of song writing and the way he looked and projected. It was very style-led.

oh and should I remain you how Lucian Grainge( the big boss of U) sees mika

"L Grainge does not see Mika's songs as little paintings. He sees them as cash cows. "Yes, it hit me straightaway that it was full of singles. Mika writes hit songs"

and

"He has something, whether you like it or not," Talbot says. "I saw him last September at the Universal conference, and it was gobsmackingly obvious to everybody he was going to be huge." Why? "The music is mainstream and populist - it's authentic pop. And rarely does somebody come along who at the same time is a bit cool and authentic. But there's another thing going on here - hype. Hype plays an increasingly influential role in the charts. "

and eventhough everybody is complaining about mika in the US radios, he reached the Top 30!! dont forget it....i really would like to read your article, it's really, really interesting and iwould like to know more on the subject.

thanx for this very interesting thread.

to me i get bored with the radio...(in america) because they play the same stinkin songs over and over and over again:thumbdown:

the radio station sounds a bit like the ones in australia they manily play the most popular ones and if you request a song you have to request it over and over again just to get it heard

The money thing is so true. It's so sad that record companies just make these assumptions about their prospective audiences and in turn, we don't get to hear about good music. It makes me wonder what else we're missing here in the states.

I'm so happy MIKA actually did break the top 30 here, although I never did catch Grace Kelly on the radio no matter how many times I tried :( Believe it or not my boyfriend introduced me to MIKA. He had heard Grace Kelly on the radio and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, came home and told me about it and overnight we've created a MIKA-lovin' monster :biggrin2:

I guess the radio stations that did play Grace Kelly are kind of our saviors here in the states.

I tried to attach my paper bt it was too big :( if you really want to read it I can send it in a private message :)

...it's a long, long road between too much and not enough, isnt it? yes, please pm me your article. here last summer it was absolutely impossible to avoid mika on the radio, 3 of his songs were in the top ten at the same time and sometimes they were in a row, people on the radios were even making jokes about it or easy contests with questions like "who has 3 of his songs in the top ten this week AGAIN"? there were also like 678789 parodies of grace kelly etc.

the way some people are tired with rihanna in america is the way some eople here are tired with both rihanna's umbrella ella ella and mika's grace kelly kerching-A etc., some cant stand it any longer... i dont personally really care because i dont listen to radio that much but i just think it's a matter of time for mika being played on the american radios, there is absolutely zero good reason it wont happen, it's not like the guy were under the wings of some unknown people in some unknown record company...