Shakespears Sister

Kelzy

I've always had a soft spot for Shakespears Sister, when they had their goth sound & look especially, so I thought I'd make a thread for them since I've been listening to them alot (again) recently...

ShakespearsSisterBW.jpg

L-R: Marcella Detroit & Siobhan Fahey.

Shakespears Sister on Wikipedia.

Siobhan Fahey started Shakespears Sister after leaving Bananarama in 1988. Marcella joined her in 1989, making S.S. a duo.

(Some of you may remember Siobhan was married to Dave Stewart from the Eurythmics.. hmmm.. a connection.)

Today, I was watching the clip to You're History, which I've seen hundreds of times, but suddenly I was looking at it and thought "Wow those dance moves those backup dancers are doing look strangely familiar!! :shocked:" So I did a little Google check and sure enough I found that all (most??) of S.S's clips were directed by Sophie Muller.

For those of you who don't know who Sophie Muller is, she directed Love Today and Grace Kelly which stars Sophie's daughter Holly!

(another connection!! :naughty:)

Some YouTube clips I've found:

1989 (unknown Director)

1989 - Check out the Love Today dance moves.

1992 (:wub2: love this song)

1993 (Live footage - unknown Director)

(unknown director.. A clip made up of previous clips and tour footage. By this stage, Siobhan & Marcella were no longer speaking)

I Can Drive 1996 S.S. minus Marcella Detroit :(

Also:

2005 - Siobhan covers Jefferson Airplane.. I love this song and clip!! Not sure who did the clip.. The first few beats reminds me of Big Girl.:wink2:

Shakespears Sister are so fantastic that French and Saunders did a parody... lmfao!!

SSavv.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love "You're History" and "Stay".

I'm familiar with Ms. Muller ofcourse but I didn't know she did most of the clips.

And I also didn't know about the whole "she was from Bananarama" or "married to Dave Stewart". Wow! :D :D :D

We have good taste in music *zhhz*

It's just good fun Pop music.. Cheesy :das: and Rockin :punk:

:roftl:

Miss Muller's Clips have improved...

But in the late 80's/early 90's they were pretty good considering the other clips out there.. :thumb_yello:

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread... I used to love Shakespear's Sister. I knew about the whole Siobahn history only cos i lived through the 80's and obsessively bought all the music mags at the time.

Was actually watching the clip for "Stay" recently cos hubby and I were watching French and Saunders sendups on youtube and they did one for this clip and I was PML and hubby was just like :blink: and I said, you've never seen the clip have you, so I showed him.

Oh and I like "Run Silent" too :biggrin2: