That's how friendship acts in their band:touching each other arms ,sitting on each other laps :roftl:

At the beginning I always thought Andrew is half Dutch and Ben half German.

Everything is ok with me, as long as they keep on writing and performing.

:naughty:

And about the surnames: they show the origins of their families I would say, that's very often like that in the States. But I think Ben is Jewish and about Andrew, I don't know, I think he comes from Memphis, and his family originaly came from Holland?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you meet Matt ?:teehee:

http://it.tinypic.com/r/2vads9e/7

Yes I did.:teehee: He got me and my friend into their show without tickets and on top of that, we went in through the backstage area where we watched the opening act with Andrew and Ben. :aah:

Everything is ok with me, as long as they keep on writing and performing.

:naughty:

And about the surnames: they show the origins of their families I would say, that's very often like that in the States. But I think Ben is Jewish and about Andrew, I don't know, I think he comes from Memphis, and his family originaly came from Holland?

Agreed. As long as they're all together, then I am happy.:biggrin2:

You're right: Ben is Jewish, Andrew is from Memphis, and you're probably right about his family originally being Dutch...

The photo with Matt is so adorable :wub2:

You were so lucky.

Did you seat next to Bendrew ?:shocked:

Aww thanks. He said he thought he looked like a drunk pirate and he took the pic since he had longer arms.:naughty:

We were just standing with them in this little VIP section. We walked into the venue and it was dark so I started watching the show, and when I turned around to see who else was standing there, I had to do a double take because it was Andrew and Ben just chilling out there too.:shocked::aah: They were so sweet and chatted with us for awhile...I don't even remember how long, maybe about 15 minutes. But it was cool because they didn't even ask why we were there in this little VIP section, they just accepted it. And we didn't freak out either. It was the coolest thing that ever happened to me.

So that's why I am happy that I ran into Matt before the show, and then he left to go buy socks (seriously) and we waited at the corner for him to walk by and when he saw us again, he offered to get us in to the show without any tickets. We didn't even ask. Sweetest guy ever...:wub2:

Edited by lollipopgirl83

Aww thanks. He said he thought he looked like a drunk pirate and he took the pic since he had longer arms.:naughty:

We were just standing with them in this little VIP section. We walked into the venue and it was dark so I started watching the show, and when I turned around to see who else was standing there, I had to do a double take because it was Andrew and Ben just chilling out there too.:shocked::aah: They were so sweet and chatted with us for awhile...I don't even remember how long, maybe about 15 minutes. But it was cool because they didn't even ask why we were there in this little VIP section, they just accepted it. And we didn't freak out either. It was the coolest thing that ever happened to me.

So that's why I am happy that I ran into Matt before the show, and then he left to go buy socks (seriously) and we waited at the corner for him to walk by and when he saw us again, he offered to get us in to the show without any tickets. We didn't even ask. Sweetest guy ever...:wub2:

Even if I already know the story (from your report :thumb_yello:) it is still great reading it. It sounds so unbelievable! :shocked: And sooo nice. Especially because you didn't freak out! Respect for that (as the Germans say! :teehee:) I would go like :boing: and then :blush-anim-cl: and then run away and be terribly ashamed in a corner.

Hey, I have been reading stuff on the Killers thread, and now the front man Flowers is doing a solo tour. So some girls went to a gig and they met the guitarist (not from the band but the one hired for the solo tour) before the show in front of the venue as they were waiting and he asked one of them if she wants him to "show her the tour bus". *cough, cough* :shocked: He seemed to be very nice, they talked with him again after the gig, but...I mean....I don't know...somehow it sounds wrong to me... I mean, I don't have any problems with the guys having some fun on tour....but taking advantage of the fans like that and even asking openly... So happy MGMT don't do that (they don't do that, right??? At least I have never heard anything like that :blink:)

Edited by southeast

Aww thanks. He said he thought he looked like a drunk pirate and he took the pic since he had longer arms.

We were just standing with them in this little VIP section. We walked into the venue and it was dark so I started watching the show, and when I turned around to see who else was standing there, I had to do a double take because it was Andrew and Ben just chilling out there too. They were so sweet and chatted with us for awhile...I don't even remember how long, maybe about 15 minutes. But it was cool because they didn't even ask why we were there in this little VIP section, they just accepted it. And we didn't freak out either. It was the coolest thing that ever happened to me.

So that's why I am happy that I ran into Matt before the show, and then he left to go buy socks (seriously) and we waited at the corner for him to walk by and when he saw us again, he offered to get us in to the show without any tickets. We didn't even ask. Sweetest guy ever...:

OMG!!!! it's YOU!!!!! you know what i'm pretty sure i've come across this story on tumblr before!!!! (okay i guess i really should start one myself:aah:) was so freaked out when i first read that, and now when i read your words i'm feeling amazed again! this is just sooooo sweet! you're lucky dear :wub2:

but you didn't have a tix? were you going to see them?? :naughty:

Even if I already know the story (from your report :thumb_yello:) it is still great reading it. It sounds so unbelievable! And sooo nice. Especially because you didn't freak out! Respect for that (as the Germans say! ) I would go like and then and then run away and be terribly ashamed in a corner.

Hey, I have been reading stuff on the Killers thread, and now the front man Flowers is doing a solo tour. So some girls went to a gig and they met the guitarist (not from the band but the one hired for the solo tour) before the show in front of the venue as they were waiting and he asked one of them if she wants him to "show her the tour bus". *cough, cough* He seemed to be very nice, they talked with him again after the gig, but...I mean....I don't know...somehow it sounds wrong to me... I mean, I don't have any problems with the guys having some fun on tour....but taking advantage of the fans like that and even asking openly... So happy MGMT don't do that (they don't do that, right??? At least I have never heard anything like that )

i still don't think i can utter a word in front of them now:teehee: but anyway, when i actually saw mika for those two times, i didn't feel nervous at all!!!! this's so weird, you know, i thought i would CRY :tears: or at least BLUSH like having fever :blush-anim-cl:!!!!!!! but i just chatted with him in such a comfortable way in the end... good thing right? :mf_rosetinted:

erm, i do know that MGMT would invite fans to get on the tour bus!!! those girls would hang around with them for quite a while before the show...... to be frank i personally dun find this problematic or annoying... maybe it's just a kind of M&G?

refering to the dressing stuff you were discussing, i agree that mika's clothing is getting more and more normal noaways. i ain't appeal to the idea that he wears JACKETS in gigs all the time. miss the braces...... :boxed:

as for MGMT, i think they are giving it a good balance!! at length the guys' outfits give you a surprise, like the 2010 Glasto one andrew wore.... i love love it :mf_lustslow:

MGMT_glastonbury.jpg

and andrew said he still wears headband at nude beaches :naughty:

I always think Matt looks like a nice guy. Hope I am lucky enough to meet him (and the others of course) on the 26th.

We hope it too! So you can tell us about it afterwards! :boing:

Huikings that photo of Andrew reminds me of Elton John.:teehee:

:lmfao: That's SO true!

i still don't think i can utter a word in front of them now:teehee: but anyway, when i actually saw mika for those two times, i didn't feel nervous at all!!!! this's so weird, you know, i thought i would CRY :tears: or at least BLUSH like having fever :blush-anim-cl:!!!!!!! but i just chatted with him in such a comfortable way in the end... good thing right? :mf_rosetinted:

erm, i do know that MGMT would invite fans to get on the tour bus!!! those girls would hang around with them for quite a while before the show...... to be frank i personally dun find this problematic or annoying... maybe it's just a kind of M&G?

refering to the dressing stuff you were discussing, i agree that mika's clothing is getting more and more normal noaways. i ain't appeal to the idea that he wears JACKETS in gigs all the time. miss the braces...... :boxed:

You chatting with Mika is great! :thumb_yello: How could you stay so calm? I never know what to chat with him about... :dunno:

About that M&G: a very :chkn: kind of M&G... :roftl:

Yeah, me too I miss those braces, but that's life I think...I am very interested how he'll dress at his next tour...

Edited by southeast

Wow that sounds like it's an amazing experience!: a free Mgmt gig

Do you remember what you talked with them ?

Luckily Matt is such a lovely guy.I don't find it funny at all he went to buy socks.

I told them they were amazing at the show the night before, and they were happy to hear it, which made me just melt inside. Andrew complimented my necklace (I was wearing the little coin you got w/ the special edition Congratulations CD). It took me a second to register what he said, and I was like "Oh thanks, it's yours anyway." And he just smiled. :swoon: Ben asked us where we were from and I told him where in CA we lived and then said we're originally from the midwest and we didn't get to do many things like this. It was just pretty chill. We didn't want to bother them much so mainly we all just stood around and watched the show.

I love how he bought socks. When I went back to Santa Cruz a few months later, I found the store he went to and bought socks there myself.

I always think Matt looks like a nice guy. Hope I am lucky enough to meet him (and the others of course) on the 26th.

I HOPE YOU DO. Can't wait for reports/pics!

Even if I already know the story (from your report ) it is still great reading it. It sounds so unbelievable! :shocked: And sooo nice. Especially because you didn't freak out! Respect for that (as the Germans say!) I would go like :boing: and then :blush-anim-cl: and then run away and be terribly ashamed in a corner.

Hey, I have been reading stuff on the Killers thread, and now the front man Flowers is doing a solo tour. So some girls went to a gig and they met the guitarist (not from the band but the one hired for the solo tour) before the show in front of the venue as they were waiting and he asked one of them if she wants him to "show her the tour bus". *cough, cough* :shocked: He seemed to be very nice, they talked with him again after the gig, but...I mean....I don't know...somehow it sounds wrong to me... I mean, I don't have any problems with the guys having some fun on tour....but taking advantage of the fans like that and even asking openly... So happy MGMT don't do that (they don't do that, right??? At least I have never heard anything like that :blink:)

Yeah, I figured I'd give the condensed version as opposed to the HUGE report. I applaud your patience in reading it.:naughty: But it's weird, whenever I meet someone famous, I don't freak out around them. Afterwards, yes. But while talking with them, it's not that weird. It's hard to explain...

And hmmm, that isn't very cool. Yeah, it doesn't seem like the MGMT guys would do something like that. I mean yeah to hang out maybe, but not in THAT way. I do believe they all have girlfriends/wives (Will is married) anyways...

OMG!!!! it's YOU!!!!! you know what i'm pretty sure i've come across this story on tumblr before!!!! (okay i guess i really should start one myself:aah:) was so freaked out when i first read that, and now when i read your words i'm feeling amazed again! this is just sooooo sweet! you're lucky dear :wub2:

but you didn't have a tix? were you going to see them??

i still don't think i can utter a word in front of them now:teehee: but anyway, when i actually saw mika for those two times, i didn't feel nervous at all!!!! this's so weird, you know, i thought i would CRY :tears: or at least BLUSH like having fever but i just chatted with him in such a comfortable way in the end... good thing right?

Hahaha, so you saw on tumblr then? FYMGMT reblogged my report so that's probably where you saw it. Thank you; it's still hard to believe for me sometimes as well.

We didn't plan to go to the second show. It was spontaneous. We were driving around and I said, "we could make it to the next show." So we went. No tickets or anything. We had no idea what we were going to do. Crazy how stuff works out...

Same thing happened to me when I met Mika. He's so easy to talk to, so you manage to stay calm.:biggrin2:

And? :boing:

:roftl:

hahaha is it weird when talking about Mika is getting off topic on an MFC thread. I've met him three times. Once in 2008 after his show in LA, it was a quick M+G. He signed my Love Today cd and he gave me a hug.:biggrin2:

My second show was last year in LA, but that was the night he hurt his foot so no M+G after that one. Though we did get to go up in the VIP section where we saw Katy Perry and Perez Hilton, and talked to iMMa briefly.

The next show in Oakland was the best. We got to meet him before the show right before he entered the venue (he arrived late because of his foot) and we gave him a mini care package we put together with bandaids and stuff and a special MFC card. We made sure he was feeling OK and wished him best of luck in the show. He promised us a fantastic show.

And it was. He hopped around like no one's business with that boot on. Afterwards we got a special M+G backstage. Clare, Sivan and I were the last three to see him. We had made a huge card that all the queue signed that said Feel Better Mika. We gave it to him and he took pics with us. He looked so flattered by the card and everything, he thanked us for coming and the gifts. Such a sweetheart.

us with the card:

http://it.tinypic.com/r/2ed0704/7

us giving it to him:

http://it.tinypic.com/r/212hh7o/7

our group pic:

http://it.tinypic.com/r/2e323kl/7

You've seen him live before, yes?

And now to get back on topic::naughty:

mgmt_L120110_BRL120110.jpg

Huikings that photo of Andrew reminds me of Elton John.:

oh yeah :roftl:

actually i'm still not a fan of the glasses... but his suit looks weirdly great!!! :boing:

and if my memory's correct, andrew went down the stage BAREFOOT and gave flowers to the front row audience... how much i wish i were there!!

You chatting with Mika is great! How could you stay so calm? I never know what to chat with him about...

About that M&G: a very :chkn: kind of M&G...

Yeah, me too I miss those braces, but that's life I think...I am very interested how he'll dress at his next tour...

you know what i was in fact a bit disappointed by myself for being TOO calm :teehee: i've met him twice. for the first time, i gave a magazine to him to sign and the interesting thing was, he had never got that mag!! he was very curious about how he looks like inside so he flipped through MY mag:mf_rosetinted: we talked about some of the pictures and he seemed to be quite happy with the photoshoot that he kept saying "good" to his own pics :naughty:

as for the second time, i didn't manage to talk to him. but we had a picture together... it was the best night ever :wub2:

Yeah, I figured I'd give the condensed version as opposed to the HUGE report. I applaud your patience in reading it.:naughty: But it's weird, whenever I meet someone famous, I don't freak out around them. Afterwards, yes. But while talking with them, it's not that weird. It's hard to explain...

And hmmm, that isn't very cool. Yeah, it doesn't seem like the MGMT guys would do something like that. I mean yeah to hang out maybe, but not in THAT way. I do believe they all have girlfriends/wives (Will is married) anyways...

ohhhhhh there's a HUGE version???! i wanna read it!! :mf_lustslow:

hahaha i know all of them are taken. it's just sad that all men i fall for are wither gay or taken :mf_rosetinted:

My second show was last year in LA, but that was the night he hurt his foot so no M+G after that one. Though we did get to go up in the VIP section where we saw Katy Perry and Perez Hilton, and talked to iMMa briefly.

i wonder if this sort of VIP section is there for every gig in the US/Europe?? Coz i've never come across one in Hong Kong... is it fronter than front row or what?? :blink:

and it's so sweet of you girls to make that card and got everyone signed!!!!!! no wonder he felt so flattered :thumb_yello:

you know what i was in fact a bit disappointed by myself for being TOO calm :teehee: i've met him twice. for the first time, i gave a magazine to him to sign and the interesting thing was, he had never got that mag!! he was very curious about how he looks like inside so he flipped through MY mag we talked about some of the pictures and he seemed to be quite happy with the photoshoot that he kept saying "good" to his own pics :naughty:

as for the second time, i didn't manage to talk to him. but we had a picture together... it was the best night ever :wub2:

ohhhhhh there's a HUGE version???! i wanna read it!!

hahaha i know all of them are taken. it's just sad that all men i fall for are wither gay or taken

i wonder if this sort of VIP section is there for every gig in the US/Europe?? Coz i've never come across one in Hong Kong... is it fronter than front row or what??

and it's so sweet of you girls to make that card and got everyone signed!!!!!! no wonder he felt so flattered

It's not bad being calm. That way the artist sees you as a normal person who just happens to love them and their music. Fangirling in front of them is never cool. I mean would you want someone spazzing out over you? Flattering but weird.

That's so cool about the magazine! What a silly, but sweet guy.

Full report of both MGMT shows:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1BjqTJhE8pwZNQjVM0zZt0PZ9KAmSe1OOu71qa6U3sk8&pli=1

(I must warn you ahead of time, I utilize quite a bit of not so nice language, just so you know. Also, a lot of it is random stuff inbetween the shows, so I tried to bold and highlight the most interesting parts.:thumb_yello:)

STORY OF MY LIFE. I find myself ALWAYS attracted to guys who are either gay or taken. SO frustrating.

And the VIP section was a balcony. It was unique to the venue. I don't know if every show had one, but this one did.

Oh, f***, I am moving to London: "MGMT Smirking Worm Psychedelic Rock Freakout DJ Set" http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=3242691&blogID=539161711

Progression of my emotions:

:blink:

:biggrin2:

:sneaky2:

I WANT TO GO TOO.

OMG this thread had made me addicted to listening to Kids'! :sneaky2:

ive listened to it soooooooooooooooooooo many times today and yesterday.

and it was stuck in my head today at school!

:aah:

Kids is a great song. If you like it, please do check out some other songs too.:wink2:

OMG this thread had made me addicted to listening to Kids'! :sneaky2:

and it was stuck in my head today at school! :sneaky2:

:aah:

:biggrin2: Always great to see new fans here on the coolest non-Mika thread on MFC :mf_rosetinted::aah:

Kids IS a great song, and very addictive. It was the first MGMT song I ever heard. From there I got into Time To Pretend, then Electric Feel, then the whole of Oracular Spectacular, then their early EPs, and thus onto Congratulations..and as different as all those songs are, I love them all equally.

What I'm saying is, 'Kids' is a great starting point for discovering everything else they have to offer, and a word of advice: some of their very best songs require a few listens to appreciate and not all are as immediately catch as Kids, but honestly, once they get into your brain, it's love :wub2:.

Edited by Gatagordinha

:biggrin2: Always great to see new fans here on the coolest non-Mika thread on MFC :mf_rosetinted::aah:

Kids IS a great song, and very addictive. It was the first MGMT song I ever heard. From there I got into Time To Pretend, then Electric Feel, then the whole of Oracular Spectacular, then their early EPs, and thus onto Congratulations..and as different as all those songs are, I love them all equally.

What I'm saying is, 'Kids' is a great starting point for discovering everything else they have to offer, and a word of advice: some of their very best songs require a few listens to appreciate and not all are as immediately catch as Kids, but honestly, once they get into your brain, it's love :wub2:.

+1 :biggrin2:

+1 Absolutely true! And those are the songs I love most. And Time to Pretend. :teehee:

Progression of my emotions:

:blink:

:biggrin2:

:sneaky2:

I WANT TO GO TOO.

Same here. Why don't they do it in Munich?!? :tears:

Edited by southeast

OMG this thread had made me addicted to listening to Kids'!

and it was stuck in my head today at school! :sneaky2:

good for you!! :thumb_yello:

and soon you'll be addicted to the guys and THIS THREAD the way i'm :naughty:

Full report of both MGMT shows:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1BjqTJhE8pwZNQjVM0zZt0PZ9KAmSe1OOu71qa6U3sk8&pli=1

(I must warn you ahead of time, I utilize quite a bit of not so nice language, just so you know. Also, a lot of it is random stuff inbetween the shows, so I tried to bold and highlight the most interesting parts.:thumb_yello:)

STORY OF MY LIFE. I find myself ALWAYS attracted to guys who are either gay or taken. SO frustrating.

:boing: i've turned on my CD player for Oracular Spectacular and am ready to read your full report!!!!! and no worries, i understand how the words would be! that's instant feeling! the best thing of writing diary/report like this is that when you read it again later, it lookso so unbelivable whilst you know all those DID happen! then you'll smile at your own words like an idiot :wub2:

and yeah, that's frustrating. i always imagine that many years after i get married to a guy, he'll tell me, "hey you know what, i'm actually gay!!" :boxed:

TRUE:mf_lustslow:

but my first listen to MGMT was Time To Pretend and i found the lyrics so relevant to myself at that time. well, now they still are, sometimes:teehee:

Same here. Why don't they do it in Munich?!?

so if anyone goes, he/she can party with them????!!!!! :shocked:

OKAY I FINISHED READING EVERY WORD.

oh my goodness, the beach venue sounds cool! and i love the part you talk about the types of people who go to a MGMT gig :aah:

your descriptions on SB and The Handshake live gave me goosebumps... :wub2: and yeah, i've seen youtube which they played Kids in a really crappy way :naughty:

and you know what, i'm really glad that i've known MGMT fans like you girls- someone who really appreciate the music itself and doesn't go over-fangirlish. when i first encounter MGMT during the OS era, i didn't fall in love with the band kinda because i thought they were too much of druggies and all people who went to their gigs seemed heavy stoners. i was not appealed to this idea:boxed:

but now of course the interviews and the 2nd album have already said all. i'm now dying to see them live! i really am.

btw, your report/blog post is so beautifully written!! what are you studying in college? I've just got a bit curious:biggrin2:

OKAY I FINISHED READING EVERY WORD.

oh my goodness, the beach venue sounds cool! and i love the part you talk about the types of people who go to a MGMT gig :aah:

your descriptions on SB and The Handshake live gave me goosebumps... :wub2: and yeah, i've seen youtube which they played Kids in a really crappy way :naughty:

and you know what, i'm really glad that i've known MGMT fans like you girls- someone who really appreciate the music itself and doesn't go over-fangirlish. when i first encounter MGMT during the OS era, i didn't fall in love with the band kinda because i thought they were too much of druggies and all people who went to their gigs seemed heavy stoners. i was not appealed to this idea:boxed:

but now of course the interviews and the 2nd album have already said all. i'm now dying to see them live! i really am.

btw, your report/blog post is so beautifully written!! what are you studying in college? I've just got a bit curious:biggrin2:

You're making me blush:blush-anim-cl:

I'm glad you liked reading it. SB and the Handshake....ahh, their best live songs, it's hard to put that into words, I feel like I didn't even do it justice.

Same here. I love talking to people who love them for their music too. Some of the girls on tumblr are CRAZY. They're swooning and fainting over them. YES, they are all super attractive, but there's more than that. I'm the same way. I wasn't into this type of music really when OS came out. I mean I loved Time to Pretend since around 2008, but I didn't buy full albums until earlier this year.

Aww thank you. Well actually, I really want to be a writer, like a music journalist maybe. I'm in some Communications and English classes, so hopefully I can do something like going to concerts and writing about them for a living!:biggrin2:

Omg Mika and Mgmt music in one place tonight at a club :shocked:

16.09.2010.gif

OOH. They have a very good musical selection there!:wink2:

Omg Mika and Mgmt music in one place tonight at a club :shocked:

16.09.2010.gif

Cool music! Are you there tonight?

You're making me blush:blush-anim-cl:

I'm glad you liked reading it. SB and the Handshake....ahh, their best live songs, it's hard to put that into words, I feel like I didn't even do it justice.

Same here. I love talking to people who love them for their music too. Some of the girls on tumblr are CRAZY. They're swooning and fainting over them. YES, they are all super attractive, but there's more than that. I'm the same way. I wasn't into this type of music really when OS came out. I mean I loved Time to Pretend since around 2008, but I didn't buy full albums until earlier this year.

Aww thank you. Well actually, I really want to be a writer, like a music journalist maybe. I'm in some Communications and English classes, so hopefully I can do something like going to concerts and writing about them for a living!:biggrin2:

+1 Although it is difficult for me to write about their music, since I don't really understand what they mean with it :teehee: but I love it.

That's a good idea: You could be a journalist in some cool music magazine and since you love music, love going to concerts and can always keep calm even when you meet your fav. musicians you'll be the perfect interviewer! :thumb_yello: Most of the interviewers are like :mf_lustslow: and ask stupid questions or don't have any idea of the bands and also ask stupid questions. :aah:

Edited by southeast