• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its actually N.E.R.D. I've only heard one of their songs and didn't like it very much, but I try not to judge an artist on just one song. Still, I'm not a huge fan of the hip hop genre...

I think its actually N.E.R.D. I've only heard one of their songs and didn't like it very much, but I try not to judge an artist on just one song. Still, I'm not a huge fan of the hip hop genre...

I dislike hip hop too :aah:

Here's a cute video with Andrew

Klaxons kind of attacking Mgmt :naughty:

http://www.gigwise.com/news/56566/Klaxons-Our-Scrapped-Album-Was-Like-MGMTs-New-Record

I need to go to read these articles

http://thebadpennyblog.wordpress.com/2010/10/27/mgmts-ben-goldwasser-on-new-lp-doing-laundry-and-his-favorite-cover-of-an-mgmt-song/

http://www.surfingmagazine.com/interview/a-moment-amoung-the-famous/

I saw them last night, and they were really good. I haven't really listened to them before but I was really surprised by their performance. I'm glad I got a chance to see them. The only 'problem' was that this was an outdoor event, and believe me it's not the nicest thing to stand somewhere outside when winter is all over the place.:naughty: Poor guys were freezing too, and they blew into their hands all of the time.

But I'm not sorry I went...it was SO much fun to see another live gig in a loooong time.

Welcome to the thread, fyi. It's like a mini fanclub within a fanclub :naughty:

Thanks! I find you Mika fans to be a lot nicer than the people on the MGMT forum. :teehee:

I saw them last night, and they were really good. I haven't really listened to them before but I was really surprised by their performance. I'm glad I got a chance to see them. The only 'problem' was that this was an outdoor event, and believe me it's not the nicest thing to stand somewhere outside when winter is all over the place.:naughty: Poor guys were freezing too, and they blew into their hands all of the time.

But I'm not sorry I went...it was SO much fun to see another live gig in a loooong time.

AHHHHH! That's so exciting! I'm glad you discovered the wonderful music of MGMT. I'm sorry it was so cold though. Whoever planned an outdoor show in November is silly (or really stupid :blink: ). Did you have the chance to meet any of the band?

I saw them last night, and they were really good. I haven't really listened to them before but I was really surprised by their performance. I'm glad I got a chance to see them. The only 'problem' was that this was an outdoor event, and believe me it's not the nicest thing to stand somewhere outside when winter is all over the place.:naughty:Poor guys were freezing too, and they blew into their hands all of the time.But I'm not sorry I went...it was SO much fun to see another live gig in a loooong time.

I can totally picture that! :teehee: Thanks for your brief account!

Thanks! I find you Mika fans to be a lot nicer than the people on the MGMT forum. :teehee:

AHHHHH! That's so exciting! I'm glad you discovered the wonderful music of MGMT. I'm sorry it was so cold though. Whoever planned an outdoor show in November is silly (or really stupid :blink: ). Did you have the chance to meet any of the band?

I love love this thread! Without it, I'm just a lonely MGMT fan who lurks around the forum having no way to express my sentiments towards them :wub2: Oh, or maybe without this place, I wouldn't be as obsessed as I am now? :naughty:

Btw if I haven't got it wrong, annabelle were you going to that Slovenia event? I literally LOL when I heard that the thing's called "Party With A Cause" back then :roftl:

Well this show was planned by one of ours mobile operators but the timing really wasn't too smart. Anyhow they were quite lucky with picking that particular day. A day sooner or later we'd be totally snowed in.:naughty:

I didn't get the chance to meet them. Although I wouldn't mind meeting them, especially Andrew. He's too cute.:teehee:

I can totally picture that! :teehee: Thanks for your brief account!

Btw if I haven't got it wrong, annabelle were you going to that Slovenia event? I literally LOL when I heard that the thing's called "Party With A Cause" back then :roftl:

Yup, the thing is called Party with a cause because it actually is a party with a cause. The entrance fee was 1€. You had to send an SMS, and the SMS you got back counted as a ticket. All means collected went to a charity organization that fights against domestic violence. :wink2:

These parties with a cause happen twice a year, I believe.

Yup, the thing is called Party with a cause because it actually is a party with a cause. The entrance fee was 1€. You had to send an SMS, and the SMS you got back counted as a ticket. All means collected went to a charity organization that fights against domestic violence. :wink2:

These parties with a cause happen twice a year, I believe.

This is meaningful! I am sorry if I sounded stupid, just think the name's cute and a bit funny :biggrin2:

One week till "my" gig on the 7th. :shocked:

On the one hand I am happy to see them. On the other hand - what if I am disappointed? :aah: I have never seen them live before. After Vampire Weekend's gig I was disappointed - too short, too unpersonal... It would be horrible. My expectations are so high, because I love their music so much that I really hope I like the music as well when I hear it live.

I don't know if this makes sense. I am so exited. :boing:

Oh don't worry. It does sound a bit silly in english.:teehee:

:wink2:

On the one hand I am happy to see them. On the other hand - what if I am disappointed? :aah: I have never seen them live before. After Vampire Weekend's gig I was disappointed - too short, too unpersonal... It would be horrible. My expectations are so high, because I love their music so much that I really hope I like the music as well when I hear it live.

So it's less than a week now!!!!! As far as I am aware, are you going to quit MGMT music for the time being?? :teehee:

And don't worry, you are completely understood for the high expectation part BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT, I AM GOING TO THE LISBON GIG!!!!!!! :swoon:

Actually I bought the tix weeks ago but due to some OCD moments of mine, I dared not say it out for fear of ruining the whole thing. But now since everything is decided, I can't help sharing my excitement with you girls! :mf_lustslow: I'm going to London on 14th Dec where my friend is studying and then we'll go to Portugal for the gig on 18th and travel around Spain after that. Everything still sounds soooooo surreal as it'll be my first time to be in Europe, which I've been longing for years! :boing:

I am sharing every of your concern SE because I'm expecting A LOT from them too. Actually there won't be this trip if it's not for MGMT... I'm literally pushing myself to death in order to finish all the college essays before departure....

Edited by huikings

Huikings you'll be having a fantastic adventure around Europe :biggrin2:

On the other hand someone on mgmt forum posted this interview with James

tumblr_lcn0p5gs1l1qbahouo1_500.jpg

Interview With James Richardson by the American Youth Philharmonic Orchestra

of which he was a member of from 1997-2001

Interviewer- How old were you when you began music, and what instrument did you play?

James- “I was always messing around on the piano for as long as I can remember. I started piano lessons when I was five or six; that was my first ʹseriousʹ instrument.”

Interviewer- What is your favorite memory from your days with AYPO?

James- “My favorite memories with AYP might be from the

year we attended the National Youth Orchestra Festival in Sarasota, Florida. We got to meet

friends from other youth orchestras, mix up and play in different ensembles with each

other. We were very proud to represent AYP and there were some great conductors there.”

Interviewer- What has been your most memorable moment with MGMT to date?

James- “My most memorable

moment with MGMT was probably opening for Radiohead in Manchester. Coming onstage in

front of a sold out arena crowd and seeing your heroes on the side, ready to watch you perform,

was pretty indescribable. We got a glimpse of what it is like to be on that level, where youʹre

playing to fifty thousand people every night.”

Interviewer- What is your role in MGMT? Give us a glimpse into the personality of the band and its

members.

James- “My role in MGMT is guitar player. Andrew and Ben are the two founding members

of the band and they made the first album before the other three of us (guitar, bass, drums) joined the band. Weʹre all going to contribute and cooperate on the new record, though. Iʹd say that weʹre all pretty easy going, fun loving people, and we donʹt take things too seriously. We are all kind of geeky and appreciate the same things.”

Interviewer- What inspires you as a musician?

James- “I find inspiration to play music everywhere around me. For me, music is connected to everything in life; itʹs part of my world view. Music is my main means of expression, and my main purpose in life, so I canʹt go without it.”

Interviewer- How has your classical training helped you with your current career path? In what

ways?

James-“My classical training helps me today in so many ways. It would be impossible to

think of playing music without it. For one thing, it makes communicating about music so

much easier. The other guys in the band are trained musicians so I can say stuff to them

like, ʺCould you clean up that dotted rhythmʺ, or ʺI think we should bring out the seventh

hereʺ, instead of being vague. But much more than that, studying classical music has enriched

my understanding of all music; knowing the history of how harmony developed gives

every chord new meaning, and thereʹs a lot of counterpoint going on in our music too. For me,

learning about all different kinds of music and comparing them with each other helps me understand and appreciate both kinds more than I ever could if I had stuck to just one.”

Interviewer- What advice would you give to AYPO musicians interested in continuing with music?

James- “I would encourage AYPO musicians to keep on with their musical education after high

school. Even if you donʹt go on to major in music, there are still so many opportunities to study

and play. Take music classes and get involved in ensembles. College is such a great opportunity

to find other musicians and learn, and it gets harder to do when youʹre out of school, so definitely

take advantage while you can. The other piece of advice I would give is to always stay open to new and different opportunities, stay in touch with all your old friends, and always keep the attitude that anything is possible with music, because you never know what might happen. So many great things can happen if you stay involved.”

source- http: //www.aypo.org/pdf/news/Issue-44.5.pdf

Not long now!! I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Wish I was coming with you :boxed:

So it's less than a week now!!!!! As far as I am aware, are you going to quit MGMT music for the time being?? :teehee:

And don't worry, you are completely understood for the high expectation part BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT, I AM GOING TO THE LISBON GIG!!!!!!! :swoon:

Actually I bought the tix weeks ago but due to some OCD moments of mine, I dared not say it out for fear of ruining the whole thing. But now since everything is decided, I can't help sharing my excitement with you girls! :mf_lustslow: I'm going to London on 14th Dec where my friend is studying and then we'll go to Portugal for the gig on 18th and travel around Spain after that. Everything still sounds soooooo surreal as it'll be my first time to be in Europe, which I've been longing for years! :boing:

I am sharing every of your concern SE because I'm expecting A LOT from them too. Actually there won't be this trip if it's not for MGMT... I'm literally pushing myself to death in order to finish all the college essays before departure....

:yay: So pleased to hear that!! I am SO jealous, because I love Lisbon. I lived there for four years and I miss it so much. Seeing a band/artist I love there would be a dream for me.

You'll have a great time!

I love that interview with James that Vanessa posted..he's really a talented musician isn't he. The bit about the Radiohead concert made me proud too, as I was there of course :shun::roftl:

Oh, wow, I am SOOOO happy for you! Just take it easy in Europe, have fun and get some warm clothes with you - it is ******* freezing here at the moment. :naughty:

Not long now!! I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Wish I was coming with you :boxed:

I really wish you girls were coming with me. I'll write a report. Hopefully with an M&G to report about after the gig.

Edited by southeast

Spread my arms and soak up congratulations. Thank you girls! :group_hug: (But aw, I'm still kinda upset by the fact that they are going to my place while I won't be there!! How ridiculous is that!)

I know it's freeeeeeeezing in Europe now... (Well, FYI: daily average temperature in Hong Kong is like 20 degrees now :teehee:) wonder whether the boys will come out after the show if it's that freaking cold. :boxed:

I am SO jealous, because I love Lisbon. I lived there for four years and I miss it so much. Seeing a band/artist I love there would be a dream for me.

Heyhey, any good spots/dishes recommended? I'll stay there for a couple of days! :naughty: A shame that have been too busy to do any planning at the moment because of work.... urghhhh

SE, have great fun!!! SO can't wait to read your report! xxx

Edited by huikings

Heyhey, any good spots/dishes recommended? I'll stay there for a couple of days! :naughty: A shame that have been too busy to do any planning at the moment because of work.... urghhhh

As for food in Lisbon, if you like fish and seafood there is no better place. Try the bacalhau (salt cod).

The Alfama area (around the castle) is lovely, get a tram up there. The #24 is the best tram to get. Very scenic! Fantastic views from up there.

It's a beautiful city; very atmospheric and laid back. And the people are very friendly and kind.

Hi, people.

I am still half-deaf and half-sleeping, since I didn’t get tons of sleep last night and spend 3 hours directly in front of the boxes. But I would like to write this down before I get out of the MGMT trip and find myself back in reality…

I still can't believe it really happened.

It was a brilliant evening, everything was pretty much perfect and at the same time relaxed. The security, the fans, the band, the M&G afterwards. With exception of me(:doh:). What happened was this:

Arriving at the venue and getting inside was as easy as last time as we saw VW. We arrived at 7 and were let inside at 7:30 and since the evening was really warm, we didn’t even freeze while waiting. I took a quick look at the back side of the venue, where the tour busses were waiting and saw Dan T., who’s the official filming guy, inside, talking to some security people. I knew it was him, because I have seen pictures of him on the Internet. The crowd was really young and everybody was drinking wine directly out of the bottles. People pushed a lot and some came later and made their way directly to the venue doors. But hey, this was an MGMT gig, so nobody said anything to them. People just laughed. After getting in we strolled to the right side of stage and were lucky that the 1st row was still empty there, perhaps because it was directly in front of the boxes. I wanted to go to the left side, because I wanted to have a better look at Ben, but the sight was much better on the right side. So we bought some beer, I took a look at the merch but didn’t find anything nice for myself. As we stood in the 1st row and waited for the Smith Westerns to come on stage I suddenly saw Dan walking down the front line with a girl with a camera. So I waved at him.

I still don’t know why I did this, I don’t really know him but I guess I was excited to see a face I knew. And he saw me and came up to us and asked me if I was waving at him. I said, yes and if he’s Dan. He was surprised that I knew him and I explained. So he started filming and asking questions: Are we big MGMT fans? What song would we like to hear tonight? How are our names and what are we doing for a living? As he heard I come from Bulgaria he asked me to say something in Bulgarian to the band. And as he heard I am a psychologist he asked me to analyze MGMT’s music, f.e. Siberian Breaks. Ugh. I didn’t really know what to answer to this, I’ve never tried this. So I answered why I love their music instead. I also told him that we really appreciate “Congratulations” and that the boys should know that many fans come to gigs because of that, that I love the whole album, that they should go on writing music like this, that I love their jam sessions on stage etc. The whole thing. He told me that they have a good feeling about the reception of “Congratulations”, people sing along the lyrics at gigs, shout “Brian Eno” as a wish and that their sound checks are really the best jam sessions of all. So if you can, go to that sound check next time you see them. And that the Berlin gig was good but that the Munich gig will be even better, because they don’t have any time limits this time. He told me the whole stuff is being filmed, the band watching everything he films (which made me even more nervous than I already was), and that if they make use of the interview they would ask me before doing it, so I have to give him some kind of address. Hehe, if I were standing alone there, I would have thought this is some kind of come on. So I told him my Twittername. I also told him I had something for the band and he told me to pass it to him, he’ll give to the band. And he told me I should send him a Tweet, we could talk on Twitter and that he answers people (but he doesn’t ever, really.)

Yeah.

I was so excited. It was so cool. He was so nice. I ran out of the venue, took my stuff out of the car, ran inside again and asked the security guy to pass it over to him since he had already moved on. He took it and assured me again he’ll give it to them.

I wrote them the letter I told you about. And I translated a German review of “Congratulations” that made me listen to their music for the first time. It is a pretty good one, in a very important newspaper, so I thought they would like to know what the German press writes about their music. So this was what I gave them.

I really, really hope I didn’t say anything stupid in that camera or write anything totally idiotic in my letter.

Gulp.

Of course now I remember all the funny, intelligent stuff I actually wanted to say to him and to write them, but it’s too late anyway. And I wasn’t prepared to talk to someone for such a long time and answer questions about their music and stuff like that. So Huikings, be prepared for everything! :naughty:

So you can imagine that after this experience I was really speechless for a long while. My guy told me: “Ok, so now we’re finished here, right? You got what you wanted, now we can go home.”

The Smith Westerns were pretty good, very young. I saw Ben and Will listening to them for a while backstage. MGMT started playing at about 9:45 p.m. I am sorry, I don’t remember the exact setlist but they started with Congratulations, then Time to Pretend, after that, random list: Electric Feel, The Youth, Of Birds, Moons and Monsters, Brian Eno, Dan Tracy, I found a whistle, It’s working, Siberian Breaks and directly after that Kids, Flash Delirium. They did a cover of a song I don’t know. I must look it up yet. 2 songs for an encore, Destrokk and The Handshake with jam at the end… What can I say, they are such good musicians live, it’s amazing. Andrew was talking random stuff: “I wanna see you guys smile, I want to see you smile, but oh, well, I guess one can’t HEAR a smile”. “You are beautiful”. People hurled headbands on stage and he hung them on the micro. I didn’t see much of Will and Matt, a bit of Ben. Who I watched a lot was James. He’s crazy. He danced like mad, he was, you know, enjoying himself, saying mad stuff to the audience, drinking beer, dancing wildly around the stage, while Kids were being played he sat down on the box right in front of me, put his arm around the security and hugged him and wanted to share his beer with him. He was really on some kind of stuff, and yet he played well. Only at the end he just played random stuff and swayed around. Andrew looked at him and laughed. But I had the feeling he was watching him pretty closely most of the time. Perhaps he wasn’t quite sure if James is going to make it through the whole gig… I dunno, only my stupid interpretation.

The gig was so good, because I really could concentrate on the music, watch them communicate, see them smile at each other. There was a lot of dancing and screaming going on, but also lots of fans enjoying the music, singing along, listening, being quiet and calm. I was happy about that! Happy to know they have nice fans. I really start to think musicians attract the same kind of people as they are.

The crowd was clearly enjoying it all. People danced a lot, sang along, were having a party. But they were mostly very nice. The girl next to me shouted: “Boogie Down” a few times.

About jamming: they didn’t do it A LOT. Just at the end, with Handshake and Of Birds, Moons and Monsters. I wish they would have done it a lot more, f.e. at Brian Eno or Sib. Breaks. But I guess they’re just tired now, they have a new gig every single night and seem to party in between, so…

The gig ended at about 11:15 p.m. Dan was filming all the time and after the gig he came to us and made high ten (you know, clapping both hands against mine) with me and asked us how we liked it. After that he walked through the venue to talk to other people.

We got our coats, walked to the back side of the venue and Will and Ben already waited. Some girls were already attacking them, asking for autographs and talking to them, but there were only like 10 people all in all. Will was drinking a beer and they were both very patient, took pictures with the fans, signed stuff and so on. So I could have talked to them for some time. But I didn’t. I don’t know, I gave them the letter, I said what I wanted in that camera, so I had the feeling this is enough. I went to Will and thanked him for the gig, told him they did a brilliant job and that the Handshake is getting better every time I listen to it. So he asked if I have seen them live more than once and I explained that I’ve seen lots of livestreams. Then I went to Ben and also thanked him for the gig, said that it’s a real pleasure to listen to their music. He smiled real nice and looked at me and said “Well, thank you!” And he signed my CD. (Of course I was thinking: “Oh, if I had known I would meet him afterwards as well, I could have given my letter to HIM instead to Dan and explained about the article and talked to him for some more time, grumble, grumble…” Fans, or should I say women are never satisfied, right?). I was really happy to see Ben! Even more than seeing Andrew, tbh. Cause Andrew would intimidate me, I suppose. Ben looked nice, Will too. Ben even talked on stage a few times but I didn’t understand him, as I was standing too far away. And at the M&G he was smiling and quiet and patient.

And then I went away. I didn’t want a pic. I am not such a big picture fan. They were taking pictures all the time, but for me it was more important to thank them for the gig and to say it in a non fangirly way. While walking to the car, I thought about turning around and talking to them again, but somehow I didn’t want to disturb them any further. I could have wished them a nice time in Europe, asked stuff about the 3rd album, asked them about a live DVD, told them to come back soon… But, you know, what will be, will be. If Dan’s filming that much, I am optimistic about them bringing some sort of documentary at some point. And they will write some new songs soon and will tour again. I can wait for that.

That’s it. I still hear strange noises in my ears and can’t hear properly. But it was worth it. They really are a brilliant, brilliant band.

Oh, yes, I forgot, my guy liked them very much as well and really enjoyed himself. Actually he has a much better music taste then me, so I am really happy about that.

Edited by southeast

:yay: Thanks SE for the report, it's brilliant! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and got to say that stuff to Dan/on camera for the record (although I understand what you mean about wishing you'd saved it for Ben, but hindsight is a frustrating thing!).

I'm pleased you met Ben. I'm still a bit upset I didn't, when I went, but of course I met Andrew instead whereas you didn't, so between us we have the set :aah:.

Ahhhh! :aah: SE, I'm glad you had so much fun! It sounded like a great show! And so I'm jealous you go to meet Ben AND Will. If you don't mind me asking, what did you write about in your letter? (If that's to personal, don't feel the need to answer :teehee:)

You should do a psychoanalysis of Will and Andrew's relationship. I love the way they interact in interviews! :naughty: