:yay: Thanks SE for the report, it's brilliant! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and got to say that stuff to Dan/on camera for the record (although I understand what you mean about wishing you'd saved it for Ben, but hindsight is a frustrating thing!).

I'm pleased you met Ben. I'm still a bit upset I didn't, when I went, but of course I met Andrew instead whereas you didn't, so between us we have the set :aah:.

I thought about you as I saw Ben. I was so surprised to see him going out to meet some fans. I can understand you so good, that you wanted to meet him, really!

Sometimes I imagine they draw lots for who's doing the M&G. The one who loses has to go out. :teehee:

I think, for me it was important to say how good they were to anyone from the band, they all deserve to hear it. I really try to see them as MGMT, the band, not be fangirly for one of them.

^^Awesome video :wub2:

They appeared in Q mag !Thanks to the one who posted these scans on their forum.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8049/scan0002uaq.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5286/scan0001uq.jpg

Thank you so much! I really love some of the bands they talk about. And I really have to listen to Bob Dylan and Neil Young very soon. So much to catch up with...

Ahhhh! :aah: SE, I'm glad you had so much fun! It sounded like a great show! And so I'm jealous you go to meet Ben AND Will. If you don't mind me asking, what did you write about in your letter? (If that's to personal, don't feel the need to answer :teehee:)

You should do a psychoanalysis of Will and Andrew's relationship. I love the way they interact in interviews! :naughty:

No, nothing personal, just a naked pic of myself. :mf_rosetinted:

I wrote them how I became their fan, the reasons why I love their music and their performances. And that I want a live album. Pronto. :mf_rosetinted: I am already mad at myself, because they'll sure laugh at me. But I hope at least one of them understands it. It was adressed to all of them.

Will and Andrew? I haven't noticed that yet. Andrew and Matt are doing hilarious stuff at inteviews. They are so funny. And I really think they are very smart guys and though I love their music I don't always understand them. They are kind of elusive. Which is good. So I don't really want to analyze them. I have some male friends in my real life who act like that. And who I love, because they are really special and very decent and honest. The guys from MGMT remind me of them.

Please guys, I really don't want you to be jealous. :blink:

We're MGMT fans, right? We are special. I have the feeling a MGMT gig is always a good experience, something is always happening there and I am sure you will meet some of them at one of the next gigs. They are really very relaxed and approachable.

Edited by southeast

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will and Andrew? I haven't noticed that yet. Andrew and Matt are doing hilarious stuff at inteviews. They are so funny. And I really think they are very smart guys and though I love their music I don't always understand them. They are kind of elusive. Which is good. So I don't really want to analyze them. I have some male friends in my real life who act like that. And who I love, because they are really special and very decent and honest. The guys from MGMT remind me of them.

Please guys, I really don't want you to be jealous. :blink:

We're MGMT fans, right? We are special. I have the feeling a MGMT gig is always a good experience, something is always happening there and I am sure you will meet some of them at one of the next gigs. They are really very relaxed and approachable.

The only thing I can remember from Will is "so, that makes me the lettuce" in the MGMT sandwich interview :naughty:

And don't you know that I've always been jealous of people in this thread? Now you're officially included in the gang :mf_rosetinted:

Okay what I mean is it's really nice to see how everyone can have her own special moments with the band in the gig/M&G. That's why I love reading reports! Thank you so much!! :blush-anim-cl:

So, 7p.m.? To be honest I was a bit shocked about the time :shocked: Dunno if it's just Hong Kong or what but people here start lining up for a show really early! Last time I went to MIKA's, MFCer friends went to the venue in the morning (I was at school) in order to get the front-row... I know this cannot be applied to MGMT of course but I was planning to arrive in late afternoon. Now it sounds so ridiculous :boxed:

But hey, I love the Dan part! Hope to see ya in the documentary :teehee:

It seems to me you were really calm, and this is so good! (Actually everyone here seems so) I hope I won't be too fangirly and do silly things when it comes to my turn :roftl: I'm feeling even more unsure about what I should be expecting... you know, y'all have met them. I think I will be disappointed if I can't, which is so wrong. Urghhh what I'm talking about here... at least I'm guaranteed for great music! :thumb_yello::biggrin2:

What didn't they do ?

Mind Games by John Lennon ?

They sang it on that day cause 30 years ago John was murdered on the 8th of December.

Yes, I know this.

You should read the report of one of the girls later on this page: Will went out and gave the girls from the M&G VIP passorts and let them in the dressing rooms of the boys to chat with them. And after that they all went to a club where MGMT spend 3 more hours talking to different fans. :shocked:

Dammit, they are so nice, they can't really be true.

No, nothing personal, just a naked pic of myself. :mf_rosetinted:
:roftl:

That sounds like a lovely letter! I don't think they would laugh, they all seem like such great guys and I'm sure they appreciate genuine compliments.

Oops, I meant to say Andrew and Matt. I love watching them in interviews, I think they are completely endearing. :wub2:

Ahhhh! :aah: Must. Stop. Being. Fangirly.

Anyway, sounds like you had a great time, and thanks for your report. :thumb_yello:

Okay what I mean is it's really nice to see how everyone can have her own special moments with the band in the gig/M&G. That's why I love reading reports! Thank you so much!! :blush-anim-cl:

So, 7p.m.? To be honest I was a bit shocked about the time :shocked: Dunno if it's just Hong Kong or what but people here start lining up for a show really early! Last time I went to MIKA's, MFCer friends went to the venue in the morning (I was at school) in order to get the front-row... I know this cannot be applied to MGMT of course but I was planning to arrive in late afternoon. Now it sounds so ridiculous :boxed:

But hey, I love the Dan part! Hope to see ya in the documentary :teehee:

It seems to me you were really calm, and this is so good! (Actually everyone here seems so) I hope I won't be too fangirly and do silly things when it comes to my turn :roftl: I'm feeling even more unsure about what I should be expecting... you know, y'all have met them. I think I will be disappointed if I can't, which is so wrong. Urghhh what I'm talking about here... at least I'm guaranteed for great music! :thumb_yello::biggrin2:

I dunno how early you should go to the venue. :dunno: MGMT aren't Mika, they don't have this fan-club that follows them around. And they book smaller venues. So I don't think it's gonna be a problem. Late afternoon sounds good to me.

Try to find the backstage after the gig, they come out pretty quick. And since that's the last gig of the tour there sure's gonna be a party afterwards. And Ben's birthday is one day before that. So if you are lucky it's gonna be a great evening.

You told me you were pretty cool with Mika. So I don't think that would be a problem for you. :thumb_yello:

:roftl:

That sounds like a lovely letter! I don't think they would laugh, they all seem like such great guys and I'm sure they appreciate genuine compliments.

Oops, I meant to say Andrew and Matt. I love watching them in interviews, I think they are completely endearing. :wub2:

Ahhhh! :aah: Must. Stop. Being. Fangirly.

Anyway, sounds like you had a great time, and thanks for your report. :thumb_yello:

Thank you. I hope they'll like it.

I know what you mean about the two of them. I like the way they don't care what people would think when f.e. Andrew sits in Matt's lap. They are so cool about it. And indeed "endearing" is the right word for them...

Yes, I know this.

You should read the report of one of the girls later on this page: Will went out and gave the girls from the M&G VIP passorts and let them in the dressing rooms of the boys to chat with them. And after that they all went to a club where MGMT spend 3 more hours talking to different fans. :shocked:

Dammit, they are so nice, they can't really be true.

I read that too!!! It's like they don't need to rest :roftl:

Awwww I'd like to chat with them of course! But talking for 4 hours seems to be a bit too much... and if it were me, I probably would just feel scared :teehee:

I dunno how early you should go to the venue. :dunno: MGMT aren't Mika, they don't have this fan-club that follows them around. And they book smaller venues. So I don't think it's gonna be a problem. Late afternoon sounds good to me.

Try to find the backstage after the gig, they come out pretty quick. And since that's the last gig of the tour there sure's gonna be a party afterwards. And Ben's birthday is one day before that. So if you are lucky it's gonna be a great evening.

You told me you were pretty cool with Mika. So I don't think that would be a problem for you. :thumb_yello:

They have a forum that fans like to stalk, but not post anything there :naughty:

Did you say Ben and Will were already there waiting when you arrived at the back door? Really quick. And Ben's birthday! Yeah I know and I really want to get him/the band something from Hong Kong. But I hardly have anytime to go out and hunt...

• 2 weeks later...

SO I'VE BEEN TO MY 1ST MGMT GIG AND MET THE BOYS AFTERWARDS!!!

Hi girls, thanks for all your sweet tweets! I'm still on the road and cannot stick to the computer in the hostel too much. I promise a full report later, please wait for me! (But no, I seriously think that no one can beat Taylor's MGMT book, hehe)

Going to a gig in a foreign place is really fun, but it's also a bit intimidating at first. The waiting time was not nice at all! IT'S RAINING. Although it's not really cold in Lisbon, I was all wet. And the worst thing is I don't know even a bit Portuguese but ALL people there were talking in Portuguese! And I'm almost sure I was the only Asian in the gig.... which made me really weird.

Anyway, I just followed the group of girls in front of me. Everyone was literally running towards the entrance as if it's a race when the guys told us we could go in. I ran too, and.... I GOT THE FU*KING FRONT ROW!! At the right and Ben's keyboard was right in front of me!!

After the opening act they came out!! I'd been imagining this scene for so long and I thought I would cry when I finally saw them entering the stage. But no, I didn't. I just felt happy! Genuinely happy! Everything is just normal and joyful! The gig's brilliant of course. I can't recall the setlist maybe later they'll put it on facebook. But I think it's a bit shorter than the other shows??!!!

Have to refrain myself from talking too much about the music. Gonna leave this in the full report 'cause... I don't know, there seems to be too many feelings but in the meantime I don't think I can tell what they really are. MGMT just took my soul away by their music. Awwwwww I've some special moments with Siberian Breaks, The Handshake, and Brian Eno. Totally trippy, it's the first time I've experienced that in a concert. :blush-anim-cl:

The crowd's cool. I didn't feel like an outsider anymore! The girl on my right side doesn't speak English but we looked at each other smiling at times. It's sweet. You see the power of great music?

Since I thought in the worst case it might be the only time I can see them in my life (lol), I decided to wait for them at the artist's exit NO MATTER WHAT. This is crazy indeed. But somehow I was courageous enough... even had forgotten I was actually in a place where I'd just stayed for like 10 hours.

There were approx. 50 people waiting!!!! Wow, as far as I know from your reports, there shouldn't be THAT many?! I chatted with some of the girls and they told me when they were queuing in the afternoon, the band came out and spent some time with them in the shopping mall!!!!! I was like, WHAT??! :eek: Then I was more convinced I should wait for them there!

It's raining again. Everyone's wet and it's really cold at night... they came out at around 2am. Matt first. He signaled us to wait and he'd go back to us after putting some stuffs in the car, which he never did :roftl: But Andrew, Ben and James all came out later! :boing: Didn't see Will though... maybe I'd missed him.

There were still 20 people inc. me! So we just took turns to talk to the boys. I was really happy to see them in the most normal way. I mean, not really freaked out or felt like exploded. It's just NORMAL. Far from my imaginations again. They're just too friendly and approachable. :biggrin2:

I think my only fangirl moment occured when Andrew put his arms around me when I asked him for a picture. :fangurl: I wasn't as cool as SE I suppose :mf_rosetinted:

I told them I was from HK and it's because of them that I was in Lisbon. I can tell all of them were really impressed. :naughty: And they told me about their gig in March next year in HK... I said, "No... I am not gonna be there. I wish I could but I can't." Andrew just replied immediately, "Oh sh*t!" I said no, Lisbon's good enough. Thank you so much. He thanked me and we shook hands. He told me I was cold. And I said yes, I really was.. maybe that's 'cause of waiting in the rain. He then said, "Oh I'm sorry. We didn't come out earlier"

OMG apparently he didn't need to apologise! Silly sweet dude. :wub2:

As for Ben, he told us the crowd's great tonight. They really enjoyed playing the show. I thanked him. And the girl next to me suddenly asked, "What's your favourite song?" (strage question) Ben said he never ever has favourites 'cause they keep changing. He asked her back which was her fav song. The girl said "Electric Feel!" Ben was like :boxed: (actually I was like this as well) He didnt know how to respond and just laughed, in a very Ben way if you know what I mean, wahaha. I was listening and only added at this time, "I love Siberian Breaks! It's really great tonight. Thank you" Ermmmm I think he's happy with my answer 'cause he then just looked me in the eyes and said a very genuine thank you. :wink2:

James said my hat's nice (which I don't think so.. it's utterly silly. If it's not that cold I wouldn't have put it on). I told him the HK story again... he said I should take a break from my study and go back to HK to see them! Hahahaha if only things can be this easy!

They signed my tix and I had photos with every of them. It still feels so surreal when I'm thinking about all this today. But at the same time, as I said, it was just nice and NORMAL. I didn't feel like I was meeting some super rockstars, didn't feel even a bit nervous. I love that. I hope you know what I mean... I enjoyed the gig and the M&G so so so much. Thank you again MGMT for such an amazing night. :blush-anim-cl:

Holy crap.. I've already typed so much. Still, there's a lot more I wanna share with you. I hope once my full report is finished, you won't mind reading some of the details again.

Edited by huikings

SO I'VE BEEN TO MY 1ST MGMT GIG AND MET THE BOYS AFTERWARDS!!!

Hi girls, thanks for all your sweet tweets! I'm still on the road and cannot stick to the computer in the hostel too much. I promise a full report later, please wait for me! (But no, I seriously think that no one can beat Taylor's MGMT book, hehe)

Going to a gig in a foreign place is really fun, but it's also a bit intimidating at first. The waiting time was not nice at all! IT'S RAINING. Although it's not really cold in Lisbon, I was all wet. And the worst thing is I don't know even a bit Portuguese but ALL people there were talking in Portuguese! And I'm almost sure I was the only Asian in the gig.... which made me really weird.

Anyway, I just followed the group of girls in front of me. Everyone was literally running towards the entrance as if it's a race when the guys told us we could go in. I ran too, and.... I GOT THE FU*KING FRONT ROW!! At the right and Ben's keyboard was right in front of me!!

After the opening act they came out!! I'd been imagining this scene for so long and I thought I would cry when I finally saw them entering the stage. But no, I didn't. I just felt happy! Genuinely happy! Everything is just normal and joyful! The gig's brilliant of course. I can't recall the setlist maybe later they'll put it on facebook. But I think it's a bit shorter than the other shows??!!!

Have to refrain myself from talking too much about the music. Gonna leave this in the full report 'cause... I don't know, there seems to be too many feelings but in the meantime I don't think I can tell what they really are. MGMT just took my soul away by their music. Awwwwww I've some special moments with Siberian Breaks, The Handshake, and Brian Eno. Totally trippy, it's the first time I've experienced that in a concert. :blush-anim-cl:

The crowd's cool. I didn't feel like an outsider anymore! The girl on my right side doesn't speak English but we looked at each other smiling at times. It's sweet. You see the power of great music?

Since I thought in the worst case it might be the only time I can see them in my life (lol), I decided to wait for them at the artist's exit NO MATTER WHAT. This is crazy indeed. But somehow I was courageous enough... even had forgotten I was actually in a place where I'd just stayed for like 10 hours.

There were approx. 50 people waiting!!!! Wow, as far as I know from your reports, there shouldn't be THAT many?! I chatted with some of the girls and they told me when they were queuing in the afternoon, the band came out and spent some time with them in the shopping mall!!!!! I was like, WHAT??! :eek: Then I was more convinced I should wait for them there!

It's raining again. Everyone's wet and it's really cold at night... they came out at around 2am. Matt first. He signaled us to wait and he'd go back to us after putting some stuffs in the car, which he never did :roftl: But Andrew, Ben and James all came out later! :boing: Didn't see Will though... maybe I'd missed him.

There were still 20 people inc. me! So we just took turns to talk to the boys. I was really happy to see them in the most normal way. I mean, not really freaked out or felt like exploded. It's just NORMAL. Far from my imaginations again. They're just too friendly and approachable.

I think my only fangirl moment occured when Andrew put his arms around me when I asked him for a picture. :fangurl: I wasn't as cool as SE I suppose :mf_rosetinted:

I told them I was from HK and it's because of them that I was in Lisbon. I can tell all of them were really impressed. :naughty: And they told me about their gig in March next year in HK... I said, "No... I am not gonna be there. I wish I could but I can't." Andrew just replied immediately, "Oh sh*t!" I said no, Lisbon's good enough. Thank you so much. He thanked me and we shook hands. He told me I was cold. And I said yes, I really was.. maybe that's 'cause of waiting in the rain. He then said, "Oh I'm sorry. We didn't come out earlier"

OMG apparently he didn't need to apologise! Silly sweet dude.

As for Ben, he told us the crowd's great tonight. They really enjoyed playing the show. I thanked him. And the girl next to me suddenly asked, "What's your favourite song?" (strage question) Ben said he never ever has favourites 'cause they keep changing. He asked her back which was her fav song. The girl said "Electric Feel!" Ben was like :boxed: (actually I was like this as well) He didnt know how to respond and just laughed, in a very Ben way if you know what I mean, wahaha. I was listening and only added at this time, "I love Siberian Breaks! It's really great tonight. Thank you" Ermmmm I think he's happy with my answer 'cause he then just looked me in the eyes and said a very genuine thank you. :wink2:

James said my hat's nice (which I don't think so.. it's utterly silly. If it's not that cold I wouldn't have put it on). I told him the HK story again... he said I should take a break from my study and go back to HK to see them! Hahahaha if only things can be this easy!

They signed my tix and I had photos with every of them. It still feels so surreal when I'm thinking about all this today. But at the same time, as I said, it was just nice and NORMAL. I didn't feel like I was meeting some super rockstars, didn't feel even a bit nervous. I love that. I hope you know what I mean... I enjoyed the gig and the M&G so so so much. Thank you again MGMT for such an amazing night. :blush-anim-cl:

Holy crap.. I've already typed so much. Still, there's a lot more I wanna share with you. I hope once my full report is finished, you won't mind reading some of the details again.

Wow!!

So glad you had a great time, thanks for the report. Lovely that you got front row, and got to speak to them aferwards. Yes, they are very 'normal' guys, well I can only speak for Andrew as I didn't meet Ben, though I'm sure he's the same, but anyway I understand completely what you mean about that :wink2:.

Enjoy the rest of your trip :thumb_yello:.

• 2 weeks later...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO Y'ALL!!!!! Wish you girls all the best in 2011!! :huglove:

Thank you very much for your nice replies. I managed to finish my huge report on the last day of 2010, haha. It's my best memory of 2010 for no doubt. I posted it on my blog, you can have a look at it HERE in case you're really BORED. I mean, it's really long and I almost feel like a weirdo for having written so many words for one single gig. :blush-anim-cl:

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think I read this article about recording Congratulations before http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug10/articles/mgmt.htm

How cool, thank you, Vanessa! I don't think I understand much of it, because of the whole technical stuff, but it really gives you an impression of how they work, how hard they work, how much they think about it all and how much they know about music. And apparently they are really glad to talk about this a lot. Makes me want to look up all this technical stuff they are talking about somewhere.

And lol about James playing horn at 4 in the morning. And Andrew standing on a chair and singing...

This thread will never die :naughty:.

I can't believe the headband is back! I saw those pics on Tumblr yesterday and I was confused, but yes, it's true :aah:.

Only trouble is, he looks less like a hippy and more like Bruce Springsteen now, with the headband and denim combination :blink: I'm not sure what to make of this look, to be honest :naughty:.

Yeah, this thread will live forevah! :thumb_yello:

Here's another pic. :shocked::mf_rosetinted:

tumblr_lfgkpvbnAS1qah8zbo1_500.jpg

I thought mixing different denim colours in kinda fashionable at the moment? But I am not a fan of denim shirts, it's very 80ies style, isn't it?

And James's hair: very samurai like :mf_rosetinted:. Perhaps it was just windy and they needed something to keep their hair outa their faces?

Apparently there were 45.000 fans on that beach. Amazing.

Holy sh!t I'm being fangirly all over again. Thanks for the flickr link vanessa! Right-clicked all :naughty:

Yeah, this thread will live forevah! :thumb_yello:

Here's another pic. :shocked::mf_rosetinted:

tumblr_lfgkpvbnAS1qah8zbo1_500.jpg

I thought mixing different denim colours in kinda fashionable at the moment? But I am not a fan of denim shirts, it's very 80ies style, isn't it?

And James's hair: very samurai like :mf_rosetinted:. Perhaps it was just windy and they needed something to keep their hair outa their faces?

Apparently there were 45.000 fans on that beach. Amazing.

tumblr_l8c2hfEVVk1qcyeugo1_500.jpg

By samurai like do you mean this?? :teehee:

That pant/leggings of James' is my favourite! He wore those in the Lisbon gig too. I forgot to tell him I love his outfit that night though :wub2:

Is mixing denim fashionable now? I didn't know that! :boxed: It's not easy to look good in both denim shirts and jeans in my opinion... but apparently Andy did it well :mf_rosetinted:

And I think Will's looking sexy too? A pity that we can't see his face in all these pics.