2007 -Mika: still pining for Lebanon - Interview on Outlook BBC - 20 April 2007

babspanky

You'll be tired tomorrow, mark my words.......

it is tomorrow already! and you are probably right! it's only 1:08 a.m. :naughty: well i don't have little kiddies that i have to get up for anymore ... they are all grown up sniff sniff :naughty:

what time do you have?

all my fwends are in california and i stay up until the wee hours of the morning waiting for them :P

well here is what you should really do... get their phone number, then go to bed. when you wake up, start calling them & texting them, so that they are up at the same time as you. just a thought. you may lose a few friends though... beware :naughty:

well here is what you should really do... get their phone number, then go to bed. when you wake up, start calling them & texting them, so that they are up at the same time as you. just a thought. you may lose a few friends though... beware :naughty:

:lmfao: They'd have to get up at 3am on a weekday and 7 on a weekend. So ..

it is tomorrow already! and you are probably right! it's only 1:08 a.m. :naughty: well i don't have little kiddies that i have to get up for anymore ... they are all grown up sniff sniff :naughty:

what time do you have?

It's 6.24 am here, but I was up earlier, can't sleep, might go back to bed later. :naughty:

It's 6.24 am here, but I was up earlier, can't sleep, might go back to bed later. :naughty:

Now you've made me use the online lexicon two times this morning by using so difficult words!

No, just kidding, you know I love the challenge!:naughty:

It's fantastic to read this old interview in perspective and I think and hope our boy got some help and guidance to be that careful with what he would reveal about himself.:thumb_yello:

That’s where a good and perceptive family comes in handy!:wub2:

• 7 years later...

Thanks a lot Marina !!! :wub:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/programmes/outlook/news/story/2007/04/070420_mika_uk.shtml

Mika: still pining for Lebanon

He's been described as 'the breakout superstar of the next few years' but Mika took time out to talk to Outlook about his continuing attachment to the land of his birth: Lebanon.

"My mother is Lebanese," he told presenter Fred Dove, "Anyone who is partly Lebanese will know that even if it's only a half - or even a quarter - that quarter will most certainly take up the entire cultural background of your family life."

Mika was born in Lebanon in 1983 but, with the Civil War becoming increasingly violent, was evacuated by the US Navy to Cyprus in 1984.

From there he went with his family to Paris where he was to spend 8 years - but his family life was again disrupted when his father found himself in Kuwait when Saddam Hussein invaded the country in 1991.

5ea3e7590d674d9be4582cc6f6c8e86070157686
ed179769b45f49c9cdd68934f9e85c6a14033297 I like the prospect of going back to Lebanon to play live - maybe at one of those amazing places like Balbec
97a6cdf56b5f285dd05db8176f703373afdd4b6e

"He had four hours to get out," recalled Mika, "Some friends actually tried to get some Bedouin to sneak him out through the desert but it was too risky - so he ended up seeking refuge at the American embassy."

His father ended up being stuck at the embassy for about seven months.

When he was eventually released, Mika remembers being shocked that his father had lost a lot of weight and had grown "a hideous beard".

"He was so skinny," he said, "I think he was living off fruit juice and tuna fish."

Once reunited, the family set off for London and Mika was sent to London's French Lycee where he remembers that he had difficulty settling in: difficulties that were compounded by his dyslexia.

"I started to have particular problems with one teacher that got completely out of control," he said, "I stopped talking for a while and was asked to leave the school.

"I left and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I started doing music."

In fact, however, Mika had been "doing music" for sometime before that. He'd been making cassette tapes for his own enjoyment.

"The tapes were not categorised by the type of music or by who did it," he said, "They were categorised by melody: happy melodies, angry melodies, different types of melody.

"It sounds banal but when you actually sit down to write your own, you realise it's a lot more complicated than you think."

Mika's hit Grace Kelly went to number one in the UK singles charts in January of this year. He appeared on Outlook to promote his new album Life in Cartoon Motion.

He said that he would love to return to Lebanon to sing.

"I want to spend more time there," he said, "I like the prospect of going back there to play live - maybe at one of those amazing places like Balbec."

At the end of the interview Fred Dove announced that there was a CD of Life in Cartoon Motion to give away - to the person who comes up with the best suggestion as to what Mika and he might be saying to each other in the following photograph.

The funniest or cleverest caption gets the CD.

Listeners' captions

Here are some of the captions sent in by listeners.

John Burleigh from Scotland

Fred:up sat Fred, 'have a cuppa tea mate',a little jingle?

Mika: are you ready freddy, steady freddy, are we on air? Ca va?

Strawberry from Bangkok

Fred: I'm thrilled to have a mention in your song!
Mika: Oh yeah. I was a little stuck. Y'know, I like to be like Grace Kelly, but her looks were too sad. So I thought of you and added a little Freddie...and voila we have a hit!
Fred: Brilliant!

Another version:

Fred: Has you hair always been like that?
Mika: Oh yes. It's an overflowing of brilliant, natural creative genius. See Einstein has the same kind of hair too.
Fred: Amazing!

Kelly Rae MacDonald from Canada

So Fred, can't we be freinds? Do we need these three little landmines between us? Why don't you have a tea?

Sajju Shrestha from Nepal

FRED: Dude your hair looks like tentacles.

GRACE: What’s your problem mate? My life is in cartoon motion.
It's my hair and it's better then yours. Your head looks like this cup fortunately, it has some germinating tentacles

Norma Spark from London

I think Mika is saying 'I keep entering Outlook competitions, but I never win that wind-up radio!'

Harry Barrowclough from The Netherlands

Fred: I see you are giving you the BBC celebrity treatment: a cup and saucer; all I get is a plastic beaker!

E&C Gabbadon

Mika : so ah...how much longer is this gonna take...because i have to go pick up my dry cleaning

Julian Leung from Hong Kong

Fred Dove: "Grace Kelly? Didn't Her Serene Highness The Princess of Monaco ever occur to you?"

Mika: "Yeah it did, but it was hard to encapsulate High Society (hint, hint) into the lyrics."

High Society was one of Grace Kelly's musical films, she starred with Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby.

And the winner of the CD:

Jeff Buchanan from Fiji

"Yes Habibi, all the way from Beirut for a nice cuppa tea..."

23457103894_f44daba425_o.jpg

Mika said that he'd love to go back to perform live in Lebanon

23457103874_34015d978e_o.jpg

Mika with a couple of happy melodies

23789609520_9142f25cc4_o.jpg

What are they saying to each other? The best caption wins a CD of Life in Cartoon Motion

In pictures: behind the scenes at Outlook - BBC

23 May, 2007 - Published 13:37 GMT

• Like 3