Help- Your favorite Mika quotes on art!

AKateisaKate

Yooo. I'm working on laying out the art section of the yearbook, and I'm considering putting some quotes from Mika that he's said so profoundly speaking about art, the importance of art in pop music, etc. :naughty:

I know they're out there! Would you like to help out and share some of your faves?

Feel free to share... Thanks lovelies.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going back to before the Paris show about the clown heads.

If I had a restaurant I would have a troupe of these clowns as the doormen, car valet and receptionist.

I love this quote, I would so do the same!

Thats what I've found:

<<The album artwork, which Mika worked on with his eldest sister, Yasmine, is very cartoonish, and the characters from his songs are not only represented in the CD booklet but also have their personalities fleshed out on his MySpace site. "Some people call that marketing. I call it creating fantasy.>>

From the "Bohemian Rhapsody" interview http://www.sundayherald.com/search/display.var.1172012.0.bohemian_rhapsody.php

--------

CM: So talking about websites I have been on yours and the artwork is just amazing, did you design that?

M: Yea I did that with my sister, who is actually here at the festival with me, we collaborated with a company that also makes all these little non permanent tattoos that I'm wearing (takes jacket off to reveal the non-permanent tattoos all down his arm). Being a solo artist, I think I can do a lot of things bands couldn't usually do. I think people are becoming more visual with music, I guess this is just one of my ways. It's kinda like a psychedelic children's storybook on acid!

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/mikax13x09x06

--------

For Mika, his artwork is just an extension of his music. The two go hand-in-hand. Colourful, flamboyant but above all else fun - and that's the way he wants it to stay.

"When I write songs, I draw sketches to go with them. It's a visual world to step into and to have fun and to play with," he says.

"It would have really broken my heart if someone else had come and stepped in and been given a big budget from a record company to just do the artwork themselves."

From: "Art explosion from musical" Mikahttp://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6295368.stm

--------------

"There is much scope for Freudian interpretation in his art, I note, what with the floating keys, clocks and snakes. 'In my lyrics, too,' he says. 'Some are conscious, some aren't. I draw in the same way I write lyrics. Sometimes I don't even know what I've written until I re-read them later and think, wow, yeah, oh, that's really funny, because I'm not a very funny person.'

"I ask whether his urge to create the art that accompanies his music is a nod towards Wagner. 'Gesamtkunstwerk,' he says. 'Total art. That's it exactly. I'm a big collector of toy theatres. I find it amazing that a megalomaniac, self-obsessed, control-freak dreamer like Wagner could have designed a theatre himself."

'Such an impractical theatre, too. But I don't really consider myself a Wagnerian. For me it's not about controlling so much as saying, why not? "It would have broken my heart if someone else had come in and designed the artwork for my CD sleeve."

From the "Sound and Vision"interview

I just remember that he said about the LICM cover artwork that it would have broken his heart to let somebody else do it. (...or similar)
:wink2: Edited by mari62

'Such an impractical theatre, too. But I don't really consider myself a Wagnerian. For me it's not about controlling so much as saying, why not? "It would have broken my heart if someone else had come in and designed the artwork for my CD sleeve."

From the "Sound and Vision"interview

:wink2:

Ah, so that is where it's from. I knew it was something I didn't read but hear.

Marina, are you actually a Mika-database? :shocked:

Ah, so that is where it's from. I knew it was something I didn't read but hear.

Marina, are you actually a Mika-database? :shocked:

I think so..... :blush-anim-cl: I have hundreds of Mika-files saved on my MAC and an excellent search engine :punk: