Article I wrote

Emerald

I've revised my article! Of course, how could I do otherwise, after that fabulous gig in Milano! Even fabulous is not the right word. Anyway. Here it is if you're interested.

Some news about British pop singer MIKA

It's been two years since Mika released his first record “Life in Cartoon Motion”, which has been a great success in Europe and America; he's now finished recording his second album, to be released in mid-September. Meanwhile, you can now buy the very special “Songs for Sorrow” EP1, which is only available from Mika's official website (http://www.mikasounds.com) and the Paul Smith stores in the UK. The “Songs for Sorrow” EP features four brand new acoustic tracks: “Blue Eyes”, “Lady Jane”, “Lonely Alcoholic” and “Toy Boy”. This record, which is a Limited Edition (only 10'000 copies!), also features a 68-page book illustrated by famous artists such as Peter Blake, Paul Smith or Sophie Blackall. Apart from that, Mika is now touring in Europe to celebrate the release of “Songs for Sorrow”. Luckily for us, the British pop singer is keeping us busy until the release of his long waited second album!

Mika, whose real name is Michael Holbrook Penniman, was born in Lebanon in 1983. When he was only one year old, he moved to Paris with his parents and siblings, where they spent about eight years. He now lives in the neighbourhood of London with his family. He had a hard time when he was a child, as he was bullied at school because of his eccentric clothes and personality (yeah, Mika likes wearing several watches... and Tamagotchis around his neck). Later, he attended the Royal College of Music (London) for a while, where he had a classical training, and eventually left the school to record his first album, “Life in Cartoon Motion”. Mika's talent for music is exceptional; especially when we know that he's dyslexic and can't actually read sheet music!

An album full of colours and fantasy, where music is linked with art – the art works of the album were made by Mika and his sister Yasmine (whose professional name is Da Wack) – , “Life in Cartoon Motion” is a crazy and magic world. An ironical world also. Indeed, behind the happy and easy-going tunes, dark, disturbing and twisted lyrics lurk. Who would think, at the first listen, that “Relax, Take it Easy” is a sad and dark song about life and death? Or that the famous “Grace Kelly” is rebellious and filled with anger?

Many people were caught. By Mika's music of course, which is refreshing and catchy and which makes you think about life, but also by the man himself. Mika is a sincere, caring and... crazy person. I like to compare him with Peter Pan, who doesn't want to grow old. Do you know a lot of people who still collect toys and dolls at the age of 25?! Mika is the kind of guy who sends hot chocolate and donuts to his fans when he learns they've been queuing in the cold for hours, waiting for his gig to start. Or who settles in an ice cream truck to hand out wristbands for a free secret gig (organised in two days!).

I have now experienced the “Mika magic” as some people call it. I've been lucky enough to attend one of his acoustic gigs in Milan, during which he sang old songs and new songs from the EP. Mika is full of energy and he gives everything to his audience. And the audience like it! And sing and jump and dance. And you can see it makes the singer happy. I've also experienced my first stage-invasion which was incredible! After the show, I had the chance to meet Mika. He's a really sweet person. We were at least 200 fans waiting for him and he almost talked to every single person, accepting gifts with a bright smile, signing autographs and chatting in a very friendly manner.

So yeah, I was caught by the Mika fever and needless to say, I can't wait for his new album to be released! If you want more information or want to stay tuned about what crazy things Mika is preparing, go on http://www.mikasounds.com!

1 EP: longer than a single, but shorter than an album

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you're welcome! :wub2:

you know? Your article is better than artcles that we find in italian magazines...

That's because I wrote it with the heart of a true Mika fan:wub2:

ooo! it's a wonderful article! yeah...he wes so sweet that night!:mf_lustslow::mf_lustslow:

Wow this is your first post haha. Thanks!!! :huglove:

and.....

WELCOME TO THE MFC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin2: