Article I wrote

Emerald

Hey everyone! :D

So here is the thing: I said I'd write an article for my English Institute Newsletter at my uni. We can write about anything we want to. And guess what? I wrote an article about our dear Mika.

And well, I'd like that first of all, you tell me what you think about the article (if it's interesting for non-obsessives of Mika etc...), then if there is any mistakes about the facts I'm telling (like, is Mika's real name really Michael Holbrook Penniman, sort of thing) and please, if you find awful, horrific English mistakes, tell me!!:naughty:

So here's the article :original::

Some news about British pop singer MIKA

It's been three years since Mika released his first record “Life in a Cartoon Motion”, which was a great success in Europe and America. He's now finished recording his second album, which is to be released in the fall – hopefully in September. The singer has also talked about a “special project” he's preparing for this summer. Some rumours have been circulating: this project might well be an acoustic EP (which is shorter than an album and longer than a single). Apart from that, Mika has announced an international acoustic tour which will take place this summer (in Switzerland also? We still don't know). Luckily for us, the British pop singer is keeping us busy until the release of his long waited second album!

Mika, whose real name is Michael Holbrook Penniman, was born in Lebanon in 1983. When he was only one year old, he moved to Paris with his parents and his four siblings, where they spent about eight years. He now lives in the neighbourhood of London with his family. He had a hard time when he was a child, as he was bullied at school because of his eccentric clothes and personality (yeah, Mika likes wearing several watches... and Tamagotchis around his neck). Later, he attended the Royal College of Music (London) for a while, where he had a classical training – he's actually an opera singer! – and eventually left the school to record his first album, “Life in a Cartoon Motion”.

An album full of colours and fantasy, where music is linked with art (the designs in the album were made by Mika and his sister Yasmine), “Life in a Cartoon Motion” is a crazy and magic world. An ironical world also. Indeed, behind the happy and easy-going tunes, dark, disturbing and twisted lyrics hide. Who would think, at the first listen, that “Relax, Take it Easy” is a sad and dark song about life and death? Or that the famous “Grace Kelly” is rebellious and filled with anger?

Many people were caught. By Mika's music of course, which is refreshing and catchy and which makes you think about life, but also by the man himself. Mika is a sincere, caring and... crazy person. I like to compare him with Peter Pan, who doesn't want to grow old. Do you know a lot of people who still collect toys and dolls at the age of 26?! Mika is the kind of guy who sends hot chocolate and donuts to his fans when he learns they've been queuing in the cold for hours, waiting for his gig to start. Or who settles in an ice cream truck to hand out wristbands for a free secret gig (organised in two days!).

Well, I was caught by the Mika fever and needless to say, I can't wait for his new album to be released. And for the acoustic tour of course, which promises to be brilliant and crazy!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I can see, all the facts are correct. And your English is FANTASTIC! I especially like this part:

An album full of colours and fantasy, where music is linked with art (the designs in the album were made by Mika and his sister Yasmine), “Life in a Cartoon Motion” is a crazy and magic world. An ironical world also. Indeed, behind the happy and easy-going tunes, dark, disturbing and twisted lyrics hide. Who would think, at the first listen, that “Relax, Take it Easy” is a sad and dark song about life and death? Or that the famous “Grace Kelly” is rebellious and filled with anger?

:thumb_yello:

hi there! wow someone was inspired by mika! :roftl:

you did a great job! :thumb_yello:

i'll let the native speakers verify the english :naughty:

a few things i noticed:

When he was only one year old, he moved to Paris with his parents and his four siblings, where they spent about eight years.

he did not move with his 4 siblings as they were not all born yet. i'd skip the "four" and just write "siblings".

Do you know a lot of people who still collect toys and dolls at the age of 26?!

he is still 25.... going on 26 :wink2:

When he was only one year old, he moved to Paris with his parents and his four siblings, where they spent about eight years.

he did not move with his 4 siblings as they were not all born yet. i'd skip the "four" and just write "siblings".

I hadn't even thought of that when I read it.

As far as I can see, all the facts are correct. And your English is FANTASTIC! I especially like this part:

Thanks!:blush-anim-cl::wub2:

hi there! wow someone was inspired by mika! :roftl:

you did a great job! :thumb_yello:

i'll let the native speakers verify the english

a few things i noticed:

Do you know a lot of people who still collect toys and dolls at the age of 26?!

he is still 25.... going on 26

Riiiiiiiiiiiight! :doh: haha so logical.

Yeah, I know he's still 25, but I thought as he'll soon be 26, I could write that ^^. But I'll change it, I want to be precise:punk:

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate that :original:

It's been three years since Mika released his first record Life in a Cartoon Motion”, which was a great success in Europe and America. Later, he attended the Royal College of Music (London) for a while, where he had a classical training – he's actually an opera singer! – and eventually left the school to record his first album, “Life in a Cartoon Motion”.

An album full of colours and fantasy, where music is linked with art (the designs in the album were made by Mika and his sister Yasmine), “Life in a Cartoon Motion” is a crazy and magic world!

I saw that you kept wiriting "Life in A Cartoon Motion" might have been a mistake....two....three :blink: (it's Life in Cartoon Motion, whithout A Cartoon Motion) Sorry to be picky...:blush-anim-cl:

I saw that you kept wiriting "Life in A Cartoon Motion" might have been a mistake....two....three :blink: (it's Life in Cartoon Motion, whithout A Cartoon Motion) Sorry to be picky...:blush-anim-cl:

Oh yeah, you're right! lol:roftl: I'm a baaaaad Mika fan ^^.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I wrote something about Mika too on my blog http://thewhitefeather.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/definition-of-a-true-artist-mika/

I was in a complete moment of awe after learning about the ice cream truck thing:naughty:

Sweet and touching text Bianka!:thumb_yello: You're so right!

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I wrote something about Mika too on my blog http://thewhitefeather.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/definition-of-a-true-artist-mika/

I was in a complete moment of awe after learning about the ice cream truck thing:naughty:

Wow! What a great blog+ article!:thumb_yello: They really blew me away :)

I don't have anything particular to say about the article, it looks fine :wink2:

So here is the thing: I said I'd write an article for my English Institute Newsletter at my uni. We can write about anything we want to. And guess what? I wrote an article about our dear Mika.

And well, I'd like that first of all, you tell me what you think about the article (if it's interesting for non-obsessives of Mika etc...), then if there is any mistakes about the facts I'm telling (like, is Mika's real name really Michael Holbrook Penniman, sort of thing) and please, if you find awful, horrific English mistakes, tell me!!:naughty:

It's been three years since Mika released his first record “Life in a Cartoon Motion”, which was a great success in Europe and America. He's now finished recording his second album, which is to be released in the fall – hopefully in September. The singer has also talked about a “special project” he's preparing for this summer. Some rumours have been circulating: this project might well be an acoustic EP (which is shorter than an album and longer than a single). Apart from that, Mika has announced an international acoustic tour which will take place this summer (in Switzerland also? We still don't know). Luckily for us, the British pop singer is keeping us busy until the release of his long waited second album!

Mika, whose real name is Michael Holbrook Penniman, was born in Lebanon in 1983. When he was only one year old, he moved to Paris with his parents and his four siblings, where they spent about eight years. He now lives in the neighbourhood of London with his family. He had a hard time when he was a child, as he was bullied at school because of his eccentric clothes and personality (yeah, Mika likes wearing several watches... and Tamagotchis around his neck). Later, he attended the Royal College of Music (London) for a while, where he had a classical training – he's actually an opera singer! – and eventually left the school to record his first album, “Life in a Cartoon Motion”.

Many people were caught. By Mika's music of course, which is refreshing and catchy and which makes you think about life, but also by the man himself. Mika is a sincere, caring and... crazy person. I like to compare him with Peter Pan, who doesn't want to grow old. Do you know a lot of people who still collect toys and dolls at the age of 26?! Mika is the kind of guy who sends hot chocolate and donuts to his fans when he learns they've been queuing in the cold for hours, waiting for his gig to start. Or who settles in an ice cream truck to hand out wristbands for a free secret gig (organised in two days!).

Well, I was caught by the Mika fever and needless to say, I can't wait for his new album to be released. And for the acoustic tour of course, which promises to be brilliant and crazy!

That is a beautiful piece of writing! Only things I can think of are:

His sister Yasmine goes by the professional name of Da Wack. It would be useful to include her professional name.

You could also mention that Mika has dyslexia and actually can't read musical notes. This makes the miracle of Mika even better!

He was actually trained in singing by a Russian Opera Singer, and performed at the Royal Opera House while still a teenager (I think that's right anyway)

You mentioned the secret gig. You could also mention that the new songs we have heard are fantastic.

These are just suggestions. You don't have to include any of them. Your work is just beautiful!

Your blog is brilliant! This is what is needed, for talented writers to put articles about Mika on their blogs. I agree with you about how Mika has taught us all so much, about art for example. It's not just about the music, and that comes accross in you blog!

Well done!

:shocked:Wow!

What university is this that you can write just about everything? I would have liked to attend one like that.:wink2:

Only thing I wanted to note is this bit:

Later, he attended the Royal College of Music (London) for a while, where he had a classical training – he's actually an opera singer! – and eventually left the school to record his first album, “Life in a Cartoon Motion”.

:blink:

No, he is not.:roftl:

1., He sang in an opera when he was young

2.,He had ( I think only 1 year of) classical music / singing training at the Royal College of Music but it does not make him an opera singer. You'd need more than that. I don't think he ever wanted to be an opera singer.:wink2:

Your article is amazing, better than anything else I've read about him. And your english is very good.

Just one thing though, he said that his name is Mica not Michael, his father was called Michael.

Hello,

I liked it!

It could be a good exercise for us to verify wheather we know everything right about Mika or not... and to improve our english... :-)(I don't find the smilies, I'm still new here...)

Do you know, where I kann read about the meaning of "Take it easy"?

Your article is amazing, better than anything else I've read about him. And your english is very good.

Just one thing though, he said that his name is Mica not Michael, his father was called Michael.

Hello again,

I was reading the "Basic Mika FAQs", and it says:

What’s Mika’s real name?

Mika’s full legal name is Michael Holbrook Penniman. He was named after his father, but has always been called Mica because his mother wasn’t keen on the whole “junior” thing.

What is right? Mica or Michael?

Do you know anything more about his father?

Bonjour, Emerald. And Mika fans in general!

(I'm very glad, after enrolling about a month ago, to finally be posting on the site. And, yes, this is my first post...I will introduce myself better later on. :wink2:)

Now, Emerald, does this article need to reflect a professional tone? I can make some suggestions!

It has been three years since Mika released his first album "Life in Cartoon Motion," a dynamic record that created success across Europe and America. To the delight of his fans, the singer has now announced that he has finished recording his second album, which is reported to be released in the fall, possibly as early as September. With much speculation, the singer has also mentioned that he is preparing a "special project" for this summer, which is rumoured to be an acoustic EP, a record that is shorter than an album but longer than a single. Mika has also announced for this summer that he will do an international acoustic tour; it is unknown whether he will tour in Switzerland. Nevertheless, the British pop singer is certainly going to keep his fans intrigued until the release o his long-awaited second album!

...When he was only a year old, he moved to Paris with his parents and siblings where lived for eight years. The family now resides in the city of London, but the journey to a new city was not easy . As a child, Mika was constantly subjected to the bullying of his classmates and scorn of his teachers due to the eccentricity of his clothing and personality. Yet this same eccentricity is what has captured the hearts of fans worldwide. Often appearing in public wearing several colorful watches (and the occasional Tamagotchi about the neck), this classically-trained singer from the Royal College of Music in London eventually left school to record "Life in Cartoon Motion."

A colourful album riveting with fantasy, the singer presents a magical world were music is linked to art (Mika collaborated with his artist sister, Yasmine, to create the album's artwork) and irony. Indeed, one can discover dark, twisted and disturbing lyrics hiding behind happily deceptive music. Who would think, at first, that his club favorite "Relax, Take It Easy" is an ominous song about life and death, or that his breakout single "Grace Kelly" is filled with rebellion and angst?

Many people have been captured by Mika's music. It has proven to be refreshing and catchy and often provokes his listeners to think not only about life but also about the man himself. Mika is a sincere, caring and...crazy person. He can almost be compared to Peter Pan, a playful boy who refuses to grow up. (How many 25-year-olds do you know who enjoy collecting toys and dolls?) Mika is also a man concerned about and respectful to his fans [*ahem* except when he keeps us waiting for a new post in his blog >.>]. He has been known to provide hot chocolate and doughnuts to fans who have been queueing in the cold for hours, waiting for his concerts to start. He also has creative ingenuity: he recently gave a secret concert in California and handed out free wristbands from an ice cream truck, organized in a matter of two days!

Well, I am proud to say that I was caught by the Mika fever as well and I, too, cannot wait for his second album to be released and for his promising acoustic tour!

In reference to his new album, Emerald, I would try incorporating some of the titles of his new songs into the article. :biggrin2:

And, on a more serious note, I would also be careful about posting online professional things you want to present, lest somebody ends up thinking that you plagiarised your work. :thumbdown:

Sorry for the long post! A très bientôt!

Hello again,

What’s Mika’s real name?

Mika’s full legal name is Michael Holbrook Penniman. He was named after his father, but has always been called Mica because his mother wasn’t keen on the whole “junior” thing.

No I don't think anyone does, we're not meant to discuss his family members really. Both are right, I just prefer Mica :bleh:

Welcome to MFC :punk:

I love your article! Well done. I think it is great and very factual. I have always understood that Mika's birthname is Michael Holbrook Penniman but that he was known as Mica from the start.

The only thing that I would pick up on that I don't think has been mentioned is that LICM was released in Feb 07 so it is only just over two years...not three....it probably just seems like it!:naughty:

That is a beautiful piece of writing! Only things I can think of are:

His sister Yasmine goes by the professional name of Da Wack. It would be useful to include her professional name.

You could also mention that Mika has dyslexia and actually can't read musical notes. This makes the miracle of Mika even better!

He was actually trained in singing by a Russian Opera Singer, and performed at the Royal Opera House while still a teenager (I think that's right anyway)

You mentioned the secret gig. You could also mention that the new songs we have heard are fantastic.

These are just suggestions. You don't have to include any of them. Your work is just beautiful!

I thought about writing all that as well, but as the students are not Mika-obsessed, I thought they wouldn't care about too much information. I'll maybe add some of it though ^^

Wow!

What university is this that you can write just about everything? I would have liked to attend one like that.

Only thing I wanted to note is this bit:

No, he is not.:roftl:

1., He sang in an opera when he was young

2.,He had ( I think only 1 year of) classical music / singing training at the Royal College of Music but it does not make him an opera singer. You'd need more than that. I don't think he ever wanted to be an opera singer.

Yeah well, it is a newsletter edited by students, it's quite informal ^^

And yeah, I know he's not an "opera singer", but in FAQ's, it asks "is Mika really an opera singer" (or sth) and it answers "yes". But I guess I'll have to change this a little bit.

Hello again,

What’s Mika’s real name?

I took it from the FAQ's yeah ^^

Bonjour, Emerald. And Mika fans in general!

(I'm very glad, after enrolling about a month ago, to finally be posting on the site. And, yes, this is my first post...I will introduce myself better later on. :wink2:)

Now, Emerald, does this article need to reflect a professional tone? I can make some suggestions!

It has been three years since Mika released his first album "Life in Cartoon Motion," a dynamic record that created success across Europe and America. To the delight of his fans, the singer has now announced that he has finished recording his second album, which is reported to be released in the fall, possibly as early as September. With much speculation, the singer has also mentioned that he is preparing a "special project" for this summer, which is rumoured to be an acoustic EP, a record that is shorter than an album but longer than a single. Mika has also announced for this summer that he will do an international acoustic tour; it is unknown whether he will tour in Switzerland. Nevertheless, the British pop singer is certainly going to keep his fans intrigued until the release o his long-awaited second album!

...When he was only a year old, he moved to Paris with his parents and siblings where lived for eight years. The family now resides in the city of London, but the journey to a new city was not easy . As a child, Mika was constantly subjected to the bullying of his classmates and scorn of his teachers due to the eccentricity of his clothing and personality. Yet this same eccentricity is what has captured the hearts of fans worldwide. Often appearing in public wearing several colorful watches (and the occasional Tamagotchi about the neck), this classically-trained singer from the Royal College of Music in London eventually left school to record "Life in Cartoon Motion."

A colourful album riveting with fantasy, the singer presents a magical world were music is linked to art (Mika collaborated with his artist sister, Yasmine, to create the album's artwork) and irony. Indeed, one can discover dark, twisted and disturbing lyrics hiding behind happily deceptive music. Who would think, at first, that his club favorite "Relax, Take It Easy" is an ominous song about life and death, or that his breakout single "Grace Kelly" is filled with rebellion and angst?

Many people have been captured by Mika's music. It has proven to be refreshing and catchy and often provokes his listeners to think not only about life but also about the man himself. Mika is a sincere, caring and...crazy person. He can almost be compared to Peter Pan, a playful boy who refuses to grow up. (How many 25-year-olds do you know who enjoy collecting toys and dolls?) Mika is also a man concerned about and respectful to his fans [*ahem* except when he keeps us waiting for a new post in his blog >.>]. He has been known to provide hot chocolate and doughnuts to fans who have been queueing in the cold for hours, waiting for his concerts to start. He also has creative ingenuity: he recently gave a secret concert in California and handed out free wristbands from an ice cream truck, organized in a matter of two days!

Well, I am proud to say that I was caught by the Mika fever as well and I, too, cannot wait for his second album to be released and for his promising acoustic tour!

In reference to his new album, Emerald, I would try incorporating some of the titles of his new songs into the article. :biggrin2:

And, on a more serious note, I would also be careful about posting online professional things you want to present, lest somebody ends up thinking that you plagiarised your work. :thumbdown:

Sorry for the long post! A très bientôt!

Thanks for your feedback!! It's nothing professional though.But some of your sentences are good, so thanks! ^^.

As for the titles of the songs, I didn't know if I could, cause well, they haven't been released yet right?

I love your article! Well done. I think it is great and very factual. I have always understood that Mika's birthname is Michael Holbrook Penniman but that he was known as Mica from the start.

The only thing that I would pick up on that I don't think has been mentioned is that LICM was released in Feb 07 so it is only just over two years...not three....it probably just seems like it!:naughty:

Yeah you're right lol. It does seems 3 years though :naughty:

first of all your english is excellent:thumb_yello:

love your article especially this part

I like to compare him with Peter Pan, who doesn't want to grow old. Do you know a lot of people who still collect toys and dolls at the age of 26?! Mika is the kind of guy who sends hot chocolate and donuts to his fans when he learns they've been queuing in the cold for hours, waiting for his gig to start. Or who settles in an ice cream truck to hand out wristbands for a free secret gig (organised in two days!).

no we dont know many people who collect toy dolls at the age of 26 or do so many things for their fans:wub2::wub2:

first of all your english is excellent:thumb_yello:

love your article especially this part

no we dont know many people who collect toy dolls at the age of 26 or do so many things for their fans:wub2::wub2:

Thanks Louiza!!:wub2:

Guys, thank you very much for your feedback, it really helped me and I appreciate it!!:wub2:

I'll make my mother read that, and maybe she will eventually understand why I like Mika so much :naughty:

I think I'll have to change things, cause the newsletter will come out at the end of May, so we'll maybe have more info about the tour and the album by then ^^.

Thanks again :original:

I thought about writing all that as well, but as the students are not Mika-obsessed, I thought they wouldn't care about too much information. I'll maybe add some of it though ^^

Yeah well, it is a newsletter edited by students, it's quite informal ^^

And yeah, I know he's not an "opera singer", but in FAQ's, it asks "is Mika really an opera singer" (or sth) and it answers "yes". But I guess I'll have to change this a little bit.

I took it from the FAQ's yeah ^^

Thanks for your feedback!! It's nothing professional though.But some of your sentences are good, so thanks! ^^.

As for the titles of the songs, I didn't know if I could, cause well, they haven't been released yet right?

Yeah you're right lol. It does seems 3 years though :naughty:

The reason I mentioned Yasmine's professional name is that there may be some people who read the article who love artwork, and I just thought it would probably be easier for them to google her with her professional name (maybe not) but it's worth putting in.

Remember that a piece of writing needs a beginning, a middle and an end. That's most important. So if you think of it like this:

The Beginning: Mika's childhood, up to the point where he leaves college

The middle: Mika's career and first album, the things he likes to wear, the things he inspires in us, the lovely things he does for his fans etc.

The final part. What's coming next? His new songs, his new album, his accustic tour!

If you structure it, something, like that, I think that will be what the assessors are looking for in terms of structure.

I hope I've been some help.

Maybe there shoul be a thread where writers can test out thier Mika articles and get advice. It might encourage more people to write or blog about him, and provide a fun way for us to learn things about Mika. It's just a thought.

The reason I mentioned Yasmine's professional name is that there may be some people who read the article who love artwork, and I just thought it would probably be easier for them to google her with her professional name (maybe not) but it's worth putting in.

Remember that a piece of writing needs a beginning, a middle and an end. That's most important. So if you think of it like this:

The Beginning: Mika's childhood, up to the point where he leaves college

The middle: Mika's career and first album, the things he likes to wear, the things he inspires in us, the lovely things he does for his fans etc.

The final part. What's coming next? His new songs, his new album, his accustic tour!

If you structure it, something, like that, I think that will be what the assessors are looking for in terms of structure.

I hope I've been some help.

Maybe there shoul be a thread where writers can test out thier Mika articles and get advice. It might encourage more people to write or blog about him, and provide a fun way for us to learn things about Mika. It's just a thought.

Sure, you're right, I added it ^^.

As it's a newsletter edited by students, I don't think there's any expectations regarding the structure. But I'll send the article to the editor and he'll tell me if something has to be changed ^^.

Thanks for your help! Any piece of advice is helpful :wink2: