Mika, a worthy successor of Freddie Mercury

basicamenteyo

Sorry I'm digging inot so old threads, but recently was a lot of thinking about to which famous star Mika is similar? I knew that it's someone very famous and then it came to me- Freddy Mercury !!!

Of course some people are indignant when comparing Mika with Freddy, but I think he is a worth successor of Freddy and can make a great carrier like Freddy.

It isn't that I mind the comparison, and Mika was aware of it (lyrics of GK) but it's gone on too long really.

Mika doesn't try to be like Freddie and he's forged a totally different career. When he first came along, it made some sense to mention who he sounded, a bit, like. But not after all this time.

Now he should be, just Mika, who sounds like who he is.

When I first heard Mika sing I didn't think he was Freddie. I love Freddie's voice (who doesn't, he's wonderful) but to me, Mika didn't sound the same.

Perhaps, in my case, it's because I'm a Prosopagnosiac. I can't retain the memory of someone's face, so I'm very attuned to voices as an aid to recognising people (and no, I don't recognise Mika if he's wearing a hoodie or woolly hat that covers his hair, and if I don't hear him talk)

Mika's singing voice isn't as deep as Freddie's, but there is some similarity. He could have sung with Queen, but I'm glad he didn't. It would have kept him in the public eye, but I wouldn't want him to become a replacement FM, as Mika is a popstar in his own right, and could be more than that. He's very unique

So I feel, at this point in his career, he should be respected for who he is, not whom some people think he sounds like. Mika should become the legend he deserves to be.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't that I mind the comparison, and Mika was aware of it (lyrics of GK) but it's gone on too long really.

Mika doesn't try to be like Freddie and he's forged a totally different career. When he first came along, it made some sense to mention who he sounded, a bit, like. But not after all this time.

Now he should be, just Mika, who sounds like who he is.

When I first heard Mika sing I didn't think he was Freddie. I love Freddie's voice (who doesn't, he's wonderful) but to me, Mika didn't sound the same.

Perhaps, in my case, it's because I'm a Prosopagnosiac. I can't retain the memory of someone's face, so I'm very attuned to voices as an aid to recognising people (and no, I don't recognise Mika if he's wearing a hoodie or woolly hat that covers his hair, and if I don't hear him talk)

Mika's singing voice isn't as deep as Freddie's, but there is some similarity. He could have sung with Queen, but I'm glad he didn't. It would have kept him in the public eye, but I wouldn't want him to become a replacement FM, as Mika is a popstar in his own right, and could be more than that. He's very unique

So I feel, at this point in his career, he should be respected for who he is, not whom some people think he sounds like. Mika should become the legend he deserves to be.

:thumb_yello: Excately my thoughts too :wub2:

Love,love

me

I couldn't agree more Marilyn.

But this is just how it is. All start are being compared to someelse, at least it's good that people compare Mika to someone like Freddy. I think there'll be time when some new arising singer will be compared to Mika as well.

I just wanted to join the discussion, but it`s time to finish it actually))

Yes, Marilyn said the best here, as always, I can only share her opinion completely.

As a huge Queen fan I can add that being compared to Mercury - is a compliment to any musician. Mika was compared to a real legend, whose throne is empty since 1991 and his place will never be taken by anyone else.

All these comparisons reflect the same level of Mika`s and Freddie`s talents as musicians, composers, singers and performers, which is fair.

Freddie is irreplaceable.

Mika goes his own way, never trying to "be" someone else, doesn`t matter how great this person was.