Mika, a worthy successor of Freddie Mercury

basicamenteyo

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.diariocritico.com/2011/Septiembre/exclusivo/287736/freddiemercury-twitter-doodle-google-65-aniversario-queen.html

It´s not about Mika but about Freddie but they say Mika is a worthy successor of him (this sentence sounds odd to me, but I can´t find better words to explain it :aah:)

thanks:mf_rosetinted:not that im the one who translated it for you:mf_rosetinted:

:roftl::roftl::roftl::roftl:

Exactly, that´s the point :thumb_yello:

*good with Spanish* *bad with English* :roftl:

By the way, what I meant exactly - and failed to explain - is that they could have said that he's a good successor but following Freddie's steps, you know? But they clearly said Meeks worth it for his own qualities. :biggrin2:

Edited by Fran

By the way, what I meant exactly - and failed to explain - is that they could have said that he's a good successor but following Freddie's steps, you know? But they clearly said Meeks worth it for his own qualities. :biggrin2:

Yep! :thumb_yello:

Usually, when Mika and Freddie appear in the same sentence, someone is comparing them (and well, Mika loses, let's face it!).

It's good to read a comment like this one!

Usually, when Mika and Freddie appear in the same sentence, someone is comparing them (and well, Mika loses, let's face it!).

What usually p'ses me off with the comparison is that Mika has never actually set out to copy anyone really. It's just that his voice is similar to Freddie's (although I can easily tell the difference between them. Mika's tone is lighter than Freddie's) and Mika is a flamboyant performer. But too often, with the comparison issue, the journalist or critic is trying to make out that Mika is copying Freddie, and since Freddie is such a legend now, that's not fair to Mika!

But I think that people may be realising this now. Mika's career is not like Freddie's career and he's doing things his own way. The way that feels right to HIMSELF. So I think, and I hope people will start thinking of Mika as a talented singer/songwriter/performer, who is unique in his own way.

What usually p'ses me off with the comparison is that Mika has never actually set out to copy anyone really. It's just that his voice is similar to Freddie's (although I can easily tell the difference between them. Mika's tone is lighter than Freddie's) and Mika is a flamboyant performer. But too often, with the comparison issue, the journalist or critic is trying to make out that Mika is copying Freddie, and since Freddie is such a legend now, that's not fair to Mika!

But I think that people may be realising this now. Mika's career is not like Freddie's career and he's doing things his own way. The way that feels right to HIMSELF. So I think, and I hope people will start thinking of Mika as a talented singer/songwriter/performer, who is unique in his own way.

Oh, absolutely! :thumb_yello:

I can never understand why people compare him to Freddie. I just don't see how they are like each other. Is it their voices or the songs or just the way they act? :blink:

I can never understand why people compare him to Freddie. I just don't see how they are like each other. Is it their voices or the songs or just the way they act? :blink:

I dunno... the first time I saw Mika on TV in GK video, I thought he was so much like Freddie, and then when the verse "so I tried a little Freddie" came I thought so even more... but after that first moment, I just didn't see any resemblance... except for the song Lover Boy, I always thought that song was something that could have been written and performed by Queen...

I dunno... the first time I saw Mika on TV in GK video, I thought he was so much like Freddie, and then when the verse "so I tried a little Freddie" came I thought so even more... but after that first moment, I just didn't see any resemblance... except for the song Lover Boy, I always thought that song was something that could have been written and performed by Queen...

Indeed - Lover Boy seems to be very reminiscent of Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy. i was quite surprised when I heard it, as it seemed more directly influenced than many of Mika's songs.

It was when I heard Love Today on the radio that I pricked up my ears and really needed to know who this amazing singer was. I also knew instinctively that he'd written the song himself.

What never-for-a-moment entered my head, was that the singer was Freddie Mercury, or that the song was one of his old ones that they'd (maybe) released. I had always loved Queen, and thought Freddie's voice was awesome (I still do) but I knew this singer was someone different. In fact, no voice, or song, had ever affected me as Mika's voice and song did.

When I first heard about the Freddie comparison, I thought that there was a similarity to the legend's voice, but not exactly the same, yet at first I could understand the comparison, as there was no one else he could really be compared to. Even Mika seemed to accept the comparison, with his "So I tried a little Freddie" line in GK.

But as it went on, I got sick of it. Especially when I heard that a lot of FM fans hate Mika because of the comparison to their idol. I just thought, it wasn't fair. Freddie was around a long time, he's a legend now. One day I feel certain, Mika will also be considered a legend. He hasn't been around long enough yet to have that title, but his career is evolving in wonderful ways, one way being his French adventure with EMD which has caused a stir on the internet, and the iTunes and radios of Europe and Montreal. I think that people are starting to wake up to the fact that Mika is very special in his own right. A worthy successor to the crown, rather that just an imitation of a legend.

The same was with me.

Indeed - Lover Boy seems to be very reminiscent of Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy. i was quite surprised when I heard it, as it seemed more directly influenced than many of Mika's songs.

I mostly hear a You're My Best Friend and Killer Queen here.

Dr. John is the second song that sounds like Queen to me. And that's all.

The more years go by, the less resemblance can be seen, even if someone wants to see this resemblance by all means.

It was when I heard Love Today on the radio that I pricked up my ears and really needed to know who this amazing singer was. I also knew instinctively that he'd written the song himself.

What never-for-a-moment entered my head, was that the singer was Freddie Mercury, or that the song was one of his old ones that they'd (maybe) released. I had always loved Queen, and thought Freddie's voice was awesome (I still do) but I knew this singer was someone different. In fact, no voice, or song, had ever affected me as Mika's voice and song did.

When I first heard about the Freddie comparison, I thought that there was a similarity to the legend's voice, but not exactly the same, yet at first I could understand the comparison, as there was no one else he could really be compared to. Even Mika seemed to accept the comparison, with his "So I tried a little Freddie" line in GK.

But as it went on, I got sick of it. Especially when I heard that a lot of FM fans hate Mika because of the comparison to their idol. I just thought, it wasn't fair. Freddie was around a long time, he's a legend now. One day I feel certain, Mika will also be considered a legend. He hasn't been around long enough yet to have that title, but his career is evolving in wonderful ways, one way being his French adventure with EMD which has caused a stir on the internet, and the iTunes and radios of Europe and Montreal. I think that people are starting to wake up to the fact that Mika is very special in his own right. A worthy successor to the crown, rather that just an imitation of a legend.

Agree with you.

But on the other side, there are too much Freddie's fans here at MFC :)

You know, I shown some Mika's songs to a friend that is Queen fan (previously she always loved Relax and GK, but heard no other songs). So she said that she sees nothing similar with Freddie :wink2:

BTw, I was at Queen FC celebrating F Bday, and after a long break watched Freddie's vids and gigs. So, I really see nothing in common, but the special aura, vibes or something like that.

Edited by Dreamy_Queen

I can´t see why people think he is like Freddie, though I love the way most of them say it. It´s not that Mika was trying to imitate Freddie´s style, or his way of performing, of making vids :mf_rosetinted: or whatever. I take it as "Mika is gonna be as awesome as Freddie".

The first time I saw Mika I didn´t knew he was the same who sang GK, and for the way he was dressed and stuff I was sure he was an alternative-rock-punk singer :mf_rosetinted:. Yeah, I know... my "guess-who-is-it" skills suck.:mf_rosetinted:

Well said. I completely agree with this.

That's pretty cool.

To me, Mika's songwriting and performance has the same variety of interest (especially subjec but also style) and ability that Freddie had. And Freddie had a band to draw on- who were amazing talents in their own right (and deserve more credit IMO)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry I'm digging inot so old threads, but recently was a lot of thinking about to which famous star Mika is similar? I knew that it's someone very famous and then it came to me- Freddy Mercury !!!

Of course some people are indignant when comparing Mika with Freddy, but I think he is a worth successor of Freddy and can make a great carrier like Freddy.