"Kings of Rock'n'roll"

DerMoment1608

No, not one of the new songs, but maybe the melody of an old one :wink2:

I was searching the catalogue of the GEMA (the performance rights organization in Germany) to see if / which new songs are registered there. And I found a song called "Kings of Rock'n'Roll" there, where PENNIMAN, MICHAEL HOLBROOK is listed as the composer.

https://online.gema.de/werke/detailPage.do?dbkey=28039595&title=KINGS+OF+ROCKN+ROLL&pdf=false

There are some extra information which are saying that it's a "transformation" (which means a new work is formed but the original is recognizable). In this case it basically means that they wrote new lyrics and the melody is from Mika (maybe with some changes). (Which means that the original from Mika isn't called "Kings of Rock'n'Roll" either)

Firstly I thought they used one of Mika's Song and wrote a German Cover, it's happening sometimes. And because I was curious which song the used I began to google a little bit.

Well, at the end I found the song - and it wasn't a familiar melody.

http://www.amazon.de/Kings-Of-Rockn-Roll/dp/B004427B9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1329346410&sr=1-1

(And it isn't familiar anywhere in the song, I downloaded it)

So I got even more curious and googeld more. Not much information beside some download-links because this guy and the record label seem to be very small, unknown and "cheep". But somehow I found the backcover:

564461977919.png

Strange thing is that it says that the songs where recorded 2002 (this CD is a posthumous release with unreleased songs after the singer died) - which means that Mika must have written it before 2002.

Maybe the melody is from one of the commercials Mika wrote when he was young? I think it fits to a commercial. I'm only speculating, of course.

I've asked the music publisher via Email if he could tell me the original song. I don't expect an answer, such questions tend to be ignored, but it's worth a try.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, not one of the new songs, but maybe the melody of an old one :wink2:

I was searching the catalogue of the GEMA (the performance rights organization in Germany) to see if / which new songs are registered there. And I found a song called "Kings of Rock'n'Roll" there, where PENNIMAN, MICHAEL HOLBROOK is listed as the composer.

https://online.gema.de/werke/detailPage.do?dbkey=28039595&title=KINGS+OF+ROCKN+ROLL&pdf=false

There are some extra information which are saying that it's a "transformation" (which means a new work is formed but the original is recognizable). In this case it basically means that they wrote new lyrics and the melody is from Mika (maybe with some changes). (Which means that the original from Mika isn't called "Kings of Rock'n'Roll" either)

Firstly I thought they used one of Mika's Song and wrote a German Cover, it's happening sometimes. And because I was curious which song the used I began to google a little bit.

Well, at the end I found the song - and it wasn't a familiar melody.

http://www.amazon.de/Kings-Of-Rockn-Roll/dp/B004427B9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1329346410&sr=1-1

(And it isn't familiar anywhere in the song, I downloaded it)

So I got even more curious and googeld more. Not much information beside some download-links because this guy and the record label seem to be very small, unknown and "cheep". But somehow I found the backcover:

564461977919.png

Strange thing is that it says that the songs where recorded 2002 (this CD is a posthumous release with unreleased songs after the singer died) - which means that Mika must have written it before 2002.

Maybe the melody is from one of the commercials Mika wrote when he was young? I think it fits to a commercial. I'm only speculating, of course.

I've asked the music publisher via Email if he could tell me the original song. I don't expect an answer, such questions tend to be ignored, but it's worth a try.

I thought he didnt write the commercials?

Thanks for doing all that digging :thumb_yello:

I think they got their Pennimans mixed up. This song was written by Little Richard (Penniman).

Ah, thanks. Then everything makes sense now :wink2:

And it's kind of hilarious that the GEMA, "godmother" of music and blocker of nearly every video on youtube here in Germany does such an mistake :roftl:

Ah, thanks. Then everything makes sense now :wink2:

And it's kind of hilarious that the GEMA, "godmother" of music and blocker of nearly every video on youtube here in Germany does such an mistake :roftl:

Oh that is so annoying about YouTube!! :sneaky2: There is a British rights organization that blocked one of Calvin Harris's videos from his own channel and he flipped out. He was tweeting that he was at the Houses of Parliament in a monster truck and he was about to drive through it to protest. :roftl:

Thanks for finding the info though. I like to follow up every lead, no matter how unlikely, just to be sure. You never know. :wink2:

Archived