Rio & MNIMH

I just realized that in Rio Mika sings "I'm getting lost to find an alter ego" and his next album is his Full name which he never uses.

I also saw someone who posted that Mika said in an interview that he had/has an alter ego i wonder if they have a connection? Or if it's just a coincidence....

• 3 weeks later...

wow! That´s a good point there 👍 😊 I´ve never seen that possible connection before. And I think that´s very interesting if Mika really uses his birthname as an alter ego. Because normally you would think of an alter ego being an "imaginary" figure.

But on the other hand Rio is a lot about travelling and getting away from this live he describes ( " I feel like I´m the villain in some crappy play, the book has long been written, but I´d rather be just about anyone else but me") and MNIMH feels more like he´s himself and dealing with the problems he describes in Rio...so I don´t know, just a thought.  I´d definitely love that connection between the two albums 🤗 and I don´t think it´s that unlikely that there is a conncetion. Especially since his first two records also where different from each other, but felt a little bit like siblings. With Life In Cartoon Motion being the younger sister and The Boy Who Knew Too Much obviously being her older brother. So maybe there is a connection between these two as well… :) 

He never said what Rio is about, but in my interpretation it's about when he left his partner and ran off to Montréal, back in, dunno, 2010 or 2011? When he wrote his 3rd album. That's why I don't see a direct connection to MNIMH. Except that I think "Tomorrow" is about when they got back together after this break.

In general, I think he sort of wants to reinvent himself for every album, so maybe he was looking for an "alter ego" every time he started writing an album, who knows? :dunno:

That's all just interpretations though.

What we do know for sure about his alter egos is that he writes songs for other artists under different names, one of them is "Alice"... see the entry "Alice" in the Mika Encyclopedia: 

• Like 1