So, as Mika says his playlist is to get to know him a little better, and that he tells about part of who he is through other people's music, what are your thoughts on what we learn about Mika with his playlist?
1. We're Going to Be Friends - The White Stripes
2. The Divine Chord - The Avalanches, MGMT, Johnny Marr
3. Piel Canela - Eydie Gormé, Los Panchos
4. Lost - Frank Ocean
5. Tayf (Ghost) - Mashrou' Leila
6. People, I've been sad - Christine and the Queens
7. Tongue - MNEK
8. Heavy Cross - Gossip
9. I Love You - Woodkid
10. Save Your Tears - The Weeknd
11. Get It Right - Yasmine Hamdan
12. Real Groove - Kylie Minogue
13. Fantastic Man - William Onyeabor
14. Everyday - Buddy Holly
15. Bein' Green - Andrew Bird
16. Bike Dream - Rostam
17. Smalltown Boy - Bronski Beat
18. One - Harry Nilsson
19. Remember Where You Are - Jessie Ware
20. Little Boxes - Malvina Reynolds
21. Close To Me - Closer Mix - The Cure, Paul Oakenfold
22. I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free - Nina Simone
So my thoughts on his song choices:
1. I wondered about this at first, but with his approach on making a playlist to describe an imaginary date, I see the point. Curiosity, hope, confidence when you meet someone new, but I also see a tiny bit of doubt in the lyrics, in the bit "Teacher thinks that I sound funny but she likes the way you sing". To me, this bit puts a question mark behind the confidence of the rest of the song.
2. Hope and doubts continued, but definitely darker than the first song. The lyrics give me a bit the vibe of the original demo version of Overrated. About how you see each other through rose tinted glasses at the beginning of a relationship, hoping this state will last but knowing it won't.
3. No doubts anymore, but a big crush on the other person. "Only you".
4. I'd interpret it as wondering whether his date can deal with his jetset lifestyle. I had to look up the meaning of the song because I didn't understand it just from reading the lyrics. It's about a drug supplier who uses his girlfriend as a drug dealer, and although somehow he wants her to lead a regular life, they both don't really want to quit because they enjoy all the traveling and money that comes with it. So besides what I said in the first sentence, maybe to Mika the song also refers to the negative sides of fame and touring, especially for a relationship, but it's too important to him to quit and maybe he also feels a little guilty about pulling his partner into this. (Actually Mika has said something along those lines in an interview at some point, that's where my interpretation comes from.)
5. I think that refers to his Lebanese side. The situation of LGBTQIA+ people in Lebanon in particular, and the country's situation in general.
6. I think this might refer to what the bad experiences of his adolescence did to him. In the song I see depressions, suffering from bullying, looking for support. I think for Mika it might have a similar meaning as Over my Shoulder.
7. Another artist's version of "Ready to call this love". Feeling love but being scared to say it: "No, I don't wanna say it, I don't know how you'll take it. So I'mma try not to say it, 'Cause when I've said it in the past, Each time it didn't last."
8. To me the song says "I need you because without you I feel lonely and you help me to face the everyday challenges.". According to Wikipedia, Beth Ditto said the song is "about recreation and my friends, who I feel like are the ultimate creative re-creators". So I'm not sure if the song is in the playlist mostly because Mika likes it, and likes The Gossip, or mostly to say to his imaginary date "I need you", or maybe it refers to the friends in his life. Or all three... in my playlist there's also several songs that have multiple meanings to me.
9. Date doesn't seem to be going well at that point, one of them only cares about themselves and the other one asks what they can do to be seen, to get attention. Not 100% sure which part Mika takes in this, but as it's written from the point of view of the person who asks to be seen, I suppose it's that. Relating to some things I've written here on the forum around January 2020 about Meet&Greets, I could imagine it's also something that often happens to him with his fans. We are all saying "Hey, please entertain us, we need you! We want this! We want that!", but we often don't think about what he might need from us. That he might be tired after a show and not feel like signing 100 autographs, for example.
10. This goes a bit in the direction of "J'ai pas envie", just without the humour. The protagonist of the song sings about hurting their partner because they've been hurt themselves, about running away and not knowing why, about wanting to stay, about hoping their partner would ask why instead of pretending they didn't care. This song shows a lot of vulnerability to me, not by the one who got heartbroken but by the one breaking their partner's heart. I suppose when Mika sometimes says in interviews that he can be an a**hole, that might be what he refers to.
11. That's the only song I really don't understand.
I'll continue with the rest another time, but also would love to hear everyone else's interpretations.