Review by Central Connecticut State University

meimei88

The Recorder - Central Connecticut State University

Entertainment

Febuary 28, 2007

By Ted Ancher,Staff Writer

“Grace Kelly,†a song by the new artist Mika, is number one in England. Who is Mika you might ask? Mika is a new London-based singer that sounds like a laundry list of performers. Think Freddie Mercury of Queen, meets the Bee Gees, meets the Beatles, meets Elton John, meets the Scissor Sisters, and that’s just a few names that make up the sound of Mika.

Oddly enough, only the single “Grace Kelly†is out in America where, as of right now, it has stopped climbing the billboard charts at number 81. The album, Life in Cartoon Motion, dropped in Britain over three weeks but will not see release in America until March 27.

Due to the colossal boom of legal Internet downloading, Britain is now taking Internet downloads into account when calculating the chart positions. As of January 1, any and all music, whether it was released as a single or not, has the potential for being a number one single in Britain.

This new ruling will be interesting when bands that have been holding out on the legal Internet downloading sites, such as Metallica and The Beatles, decide to release their songs; they’re almost guaranteed a bunch of number ones. Though, that’s not the case with “Grace Kelly,†because it was released as a single; it is, however, the reason it is holding Britain’s top spot in the overall singles chart.

“Grace Kelly†is a very lightweight, fun and easy to listen to song, which has a massive hook with its unbelievable chorus where the falsetto is somewhat unexpected but eerily pleasing to the ear. It’s the chorus that is so easily stuck in your head. It’s basically a song about someone who wants somebody so bad, yet the person who he likes just doesn’t want anything to do with him. He will be basically do whatever it takes to be liked, as he sings, “I could be brown / I could be blue / I could be violet sky / I could be hurtful / I could be purple / I could be anything you like.â€Â

Perhaps what makes this song so powerful is the emotion that the words exude. Its premise is so common, which puts the listener into his painful and sorrowful shoes, but the music is so light and cheery that you pretty much forget about what the song is about.

On his MySpace, you can listen to an album sampler, as well as two tracks from the album “Billy Brown,†and “Relax Take It Easy.†He is listed as being power-pop, which is the 21st century term for bubblegum music. I will admit, if you listen to the sampler it can get bubble gummy at times, but the single is a wonderful indication of what this albums overall sound is. If you haven’t heard this song, I would definitely hit up his MySpace profile as well as his website http://www.mikasounds.com.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for that, does it not make your blood boil when you read that utter farfetched analysis of 'Grace Kelly'?

Grace Kelly” is a very lightweight, fun and easy to listen to song, which has a massive hook with its unbelievable chorus where the falsetto is somewhat unexpected but eerily pleasing to the ear. It’s the chorus that is so easily stuck in your head. It’s basically a song about someone who wants somebody so bad, yet the person who he likes just doesn’t want anything to do with him. He will be basically do whatever it takes to be liked, as he sings, “I could be brown / I could be blue / I could be violet sky / I could be hurtful / I could be purple / I could be anything you like.”

how much have I moaned about this :that Mika, and what he is trying to get across, what he wants to achieve in his brilliant CONCEPT album is totally misunderstood.!! Poor guy, he is fighting a loosing battle!

Who are those guys who are asked to write reviews?????

doesGrace Kelly” is a very lightweight, fun and easy to listen to song, which has a massive hook with its unbelievable chorus where the falsetto is somewhat unexpected but eerily pleasing to the ear. It’s the chorus that is so easily stuck in your head. It’s basically a song about someone who wants somebody so bad, yet the person who he likes just doesn’t want anything to do with him. He will be basically do whatever it takes to be liked, as he sings, “I could be brown / I could be blue / I could be violet sky / I could be hurtful / I could be purple / I could be anything you like.”

it not make your blood boil when you red this

well, it's easy to dismiss the song as about a guy seeking acceptance until the composer tells you that it's supposed to be ironic and mean the opposite: mika means for all people who think he's not good enough to f*** off.

guess this writer didn't do his research. but how hard would it be to fig that one out?? almost every article i read abt mika has the grace kelly history on it!