Article and Video on Radio-Canada.ca

sunshine931

There's another article I found about Mika and there's a video interview as well. On the right side of the article there's a box with the title "Plus d'info" and then in the box there's a little camera icon and it's written "Audio et Vidéo" and "Claude Deschênes rencontre Mika". Just click on that and you'll be able to see the video...

It's all in french, I'll come up with the translation tomorrow at the latest !!!

In the mean time, enjoy his sexy french accent !!! :wink2:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/arts-spectacles/musique/2007/03/20/002-mika-mardi.asp

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wot a cute little video, couldn understand much but that laugh gets me everytime!!! he really seems to be very happy and enjoying himselve at the moment.

And sunshine I love your pic, your very very lucky!!!:thumb_yello: xxx

So here's a translation of the article (I had a little time to kill at school...) but here the sound doesn't work on the computer so you'll have to wait a while for the translation of the video !

Mika's 4 octaves

A rock singer who takes inspiration in opera and who can sign very high. No, this isn't a "posthume" Queen album. ("posthume" means you made it after the person passed away... don't know the exact translation)

This is Mika, the young 23 years old sensation, now promoting his album in Québec. His album, Life In Cartoon Motion, earned him nice comparisons with the late Freddie Mercury, as well as the Scissors Sisters.

Mika says he is flattered by those comparisons: "I am lucky that I'm being compared with artists that I like."

Multiple influences

His distinct style, he owes it to a rich cultural baggage. Mika Penniman was born in Beirut, from an american father and a lebanese mother. Still a young child, he has to leave his native country with his family, first to France, then to England.

While studying at the Royal Opera House de Londres, he meets a russian voice teacher who teaches classical singing (although we know this is not exactly true, it's his mother who hired the teacher while he was very young... but it's ok). It is with her that he learns to sing using 4 octaves, something he is still able to do.

Now, Mika surfs on this unexpected wave of success, Grace Kelly. A success that was unexpected, but not "unhoped" (euh... yeah, can't find the exact translation for that but that'swhat it means...). "I was hoping for that success, but I am still surprised", says the young man in perfect french.

And he doesn't want to hear about one hit wonders. "I'm here for 20 years, you don't have a choice !", warns the singer with the messed hair.

Sooooooooo there it is !!! translation of the video !!! Enjoy !!!

Reporter: He sings Grace Kelly and his name is Mika Penniman, Mika his is stage name

Mika: Mika, M-I-K-A (laughs)

Reporter: After verification, his height is 6'2" (personnaly I think it's more 6'4" but oh well)

Mika: But with the hair it adds to it (his height)

Reporter: He is 23 years old and was born in Beirut from an american father and a lebanese mother. During the war in Lebanon, the family runs away to France

Mika: When we were living in Paris, I listened to everything. At my house we listened to Oum Kalsoum (sorry don't know how to spell this name), Fairouz (this one either), we listened to France Gall, Serge Gainsbourg.

Reporter: Little Mika then moves to London

Mika: At the age of 11 years old I started to do classical singing and within a few months I got my first job at the Royal Opera House in London, in a Strauss opera

Reporter: From this classical singing culture that he learned with a russian teacher, he kept the art of singing on 4 octaves

Mika: I'm not castrato (laughs)

Reporter: But you are able to sing very high

Mika: But I can sing very high. But everyone can sing very high

Reporter: If we learn to do it

Mika: No, you can do it

Reporter: aaaaaaa (in a high pitched voice)

Mika: yes, no higher, go ahead

Reporter: No I can't

Mika: aaaawww no, you know that you can ! like the littles mice when (... then he mumbles something, I don't understand what he says even if french is my first language lol)... weeeeeee !!!

Reporter: On his album, Life In Cartoon Motion, Mika has developped a very singular style

Mika: It's a pretty psychotic universe

Reporter: Yes !

Mika: Pretty original and a little bizarre, but everything is in a pop format, of 3 to 3 and a half minutes

Reporter: One may immediatly compare him to Freddie Mercury, Scissors Sisters or Michael Jackson

Mika: I am lucky that people are comparing me to artists that I like

Reporter: Are you suprised of the succes ?

Mika: Yes

Reporter: Well you hoped for it

Mika: Yes, but I'm still surprised. But I would be totally stupid if I didn't take advantage of everything that's going on around me because, truthfully, I'm here for 20 years, you have no choice ! (laughs)

the concert at Club Soda in Montreal was so intimate, you got the feeling had he booked it a few months later than he did he would have chosen a much larger venue, so we were very spoiled to see him up close! when's the next montreal concert???????

it's neat to see the interviews...makes him feel real and not a figment of my fantasy - uh, i mean, imagination...

my 3-year-old son and I dance to our Mika CD 10 times a day - he sings along to Grace Kelly and LOVES the chi-ching part at the end!

the concert at Club Soda in Montreal was so intimate, you got the feeling had he booked it a few months later than he did he would have chosen a much larger venue, so we were very spoiled to see him up close! when's the next montreal concert???????

Yeah I know the next shows will be in much bigger venues but I pray to god that he will try and keep it small !!! Intimate shows are the best !!!

I honestly think he's taller than 6'2 because my dad's 6'2 so I know how to approximate, and he was definitely taller, u can see it on my pic - i'm 5'11 in heels and he's still a head taller.

Yes, Club Soda was a poor choice in terms of management, but an excellent one for me (and Sunshine)... ;)

• 1 year later...

Tks for posting! (better late than never :))

The link to the video doesn't work for me but I've found it here:http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/x2574d_mika-interview-radio-canada_music

Thanks for posting!!!:punk:

I can't see the video:boxed:

Hi! I found other 3 links to the same video:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/mika-interview-radio-canada/2673443193

http://www.videospider.tv/Videos/Detail/2673443193.aspx

http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,2673443193.aspxhope

hope u'll be able to watch! sorry but quality is really bad