• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LA WEEKLY

BY KATE SULLIVAN

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 - 2:59pm

http://www.laweekly.com/music/rock-and-roll-love-letter/love-each-other-so-androgynous/16553/

heart.jpgMARCH OF THE FALSETTOS: Speaking of gay bubblegum, lately I’ve been tremendously enjoying Mika — the colorful piano man from England/Beirut/France who sings in a falsetto to die for. But it occurs to me: Mika may be my favorite, but he’s certainly not the only ambiguous young man dressing cool and writing pop hooks these days. In fact, there’s a handful of ’em right now — gender-flexible dudes wearing exceptionally awesome clothes and singing with all their hearts in gnarly-ass falsetto. And it’s not genre-specific: Besides Mika, there’s Danish glam-disco heroes the Ark; Yankee psych-pop outfit Of Montreal; Toledo glam rockers We Are the Fury; and U.K. troubadour Patrick Wolf. (See our recent review of Mr. Wolf’s new record at laweekly.com/music.)

Now, I certainly don’t adore all these guys’ music, and I don’t really care how they swing in their private lives. But I do find it interesting that there are more young men these days who are at least comfortable playing the stylish-androgyny card. And what’s different about this new generation’s ambiguity is that it doesn’t feel survival-based, or greed-based, or fashion-based (or maybe, in young Elton John’s case, confusion-based!). It feels like playing around with mystique and, most of all, demanding a kind of spiritual freedom for all.

It’s weird. So much is so very, very wrong with our culture — and yet so much is better than it was even 10 years ago. When I look at Mika, who is cagey about his love life (as is his right!), I also see that he probably owes Rufus Wainwright a thank-you card. I suspect Wainwright’s courage — the kind it took to be an openly gay cabaret singer in the indie-rock world 10 years ago — has made Mika’s road a bit more smooth. Elton John’s Donald Duck costume didn’t hurt, either.

Mika plays the Avalon June 8.

Interesting!

Thanks for posting! I love Rufus! (Not as much as Mika though!)

LA WEEKLY

BY KATE SULLIVAN

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 - 2:59pm

http://www.laweekly.com/music/rock-and-roll-love-letter/love-each-other-so-androgynous/16553/

Now, I certainly don’t adore all these guys’ music, and I don’t really care how they swing in their private lives.

It’s weird. So much is so very, very wrong with our culture — and yet so much is better than it was even 10 years ago. When I look at Mika, who is cagey about his love life (as is his right!), I also see that he probably owes Rufus Wainwright a thank-you card. I suspect Wainwright’s courage — the kind it took to be an openly gay cabaret singer in the indie-rock world 10 years ago — has made Mika’s road a bit more smooth. Elton John’s Donald Duck costume didn’t hurt, either.

Mika plays the Avalon June 8.

WHAT?

I hate this article. You cannot base a music review on the alleged s***** preferences of the artist.

She should have been writing about the music and not pretend to be a gay rights activist.

Also, saying that it was Rufus Wainwright who paved the way for Mika is such a STUPID thing to say. I don't think she is familiar with the history of popular music at all.

WHAT?

I hate this article. You cannot base a music review on the alleged s***** preferences of the artist.

She should have been writing about the music and not pretend to be a gay rights activist.

Also, saying that it was Rufus Wainwright who paved the way for Mika is such a STUPID thing to say. I don't think she is familiar with the history of popular music at all.

I like the article !!:mf_rosetinted:

Technically, she based it on the fashion preferences of the artist...

--Jack

Yes, that's what I mean. It is not about the music...

Based on this article, how are you supposed to guess what kind of music he is playing? The only conclusion the reader can draw is that there is a new "weird" artist on the music scene (she puts it nicely because she is sooo understanding) and thanks to R. Wainwright he is not hissed off the stage for being who he is.:sneaky2:

Yeah, but... does everything HAVE to be about the music? As far as I can see, this is a short cultural criticism article that happens to pick upon a certain musical scene as its focus. I dunno, I like a good bit of culture crit.

--Jack