Stolen songs

Lee-Ann

Everyone knows that:

While one is hearing the radio a new song gets introduced.

And then: Wait! I know this song!

Yes it's stolen...

Some examples:

The Zombies-Time of The Season

Now:sampled by Necro as a new song

Diana Ross: I Will Survive

Now:PUSSYCAT DOLLS-Hush Hush Hush

And many many others. What do you think about samples? I think it's just a way to make fast and much money. And a sign for a lack of ideas.:shun:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Using samples is not necessarily an evil thing to do and is definitely not theft if the original songwriters are credited :wink2:

I guess there are now thousands of songs that have become much more popular because some parts of it have been used in other songs.

I am also pretty sure that most composers welcome the money flowing in several decades after publishing the original song. At the same time, composers and performers have the right to forbid the use of the song by another artist. :wink2:

Hmm.. what about that Flo Rida one that was a rip-off of You Spin Me Right Round by Dead or Alive- that one made me so mad!:sneaky2:

Absolutely horrendous.:puking:

That one is almost a full cover version of the song, isn't it? I don't really remember because I tend to switch off when I hear it...:teehee:

An example for a good use of a sample is the Sugarbabes' Freak Like Me sampled from pled from Gary Numan /Tubeway Army's Are 'Friends' Electric

...in my opinion, of course.:teehee:

Edited by suzie

Would just like to bring to your attention that Dying in Your Arms Tonight by Cutting Crew was essentially sampled in Relax.

Well, not sampled, but the same chords were used in the same order and they get a songwriting credit on LICM and the Sadler's Wells disc.

I don't see a problem as long as something creative is done with what's been sampled. MC Hammer's Can't Touch This was a sample of a Michael Jackson song (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong) so you get massive party classics coming out of stuff like this.

And the use of the word stolen is incorrect here - all samples have to be paid for. :wink2:

I think sampling, like making a cover of a song, is okay (as long as the original artist is credited of course). It can even be sort of a tribute to the original.

Movies quote other movies all the time too. I kinda like it. ^^

Absolutely horrendous.:puking:

That one is almost a full cover version of the song, isn't it? I don't really remember because I tend to switch off when I hear it...:teehee:

An example for a good use of a sample is the Sugarbabes' Freak Like Me sampled from pled from Gary Numan /Tubeway Army's Are 'Friends' Electric

...in my opinion, of course.:teehee:

I do that too! lol

I think sampling, like making a cover of a song, is okay (as long as the original artist is credited of course). It can even be sort of a tribute to the original.

I love tributes and stuff like WIerd Al but I hate what Flo Rida did.

MC Hammer's Can't Touch This was a sample of a Michael Jackson song (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong)

Actually, it used a sample from Rick James' 'Super Freak' :)

I find that sometimes sampling can be good, other times it irritates the hell out of me. I think Eminem's 'Like Toy Soldiers' (sampled from 'Toy Soldiers' by Martika) is an example of what I consider to be 'good' sampling. Also, 'Bittersweet Symphony' by The Verve used a sample from

of 'The Last Time' by The Rolling Stones.

Actually, it used a sample from Rick James' 'Super Freak' :)

I find that sometimes sampling can be good, other times it irritates the hell out of me. I think Eminem's 'Like Toy Soldiers' (sampled from 'Toy Soldiers' by Martika) is an example of what I consider to be 'good' sampling. Also, 'Bittersweet Symphony' by The Verve used a sample from

of 'The Last Time' by The Rolling Stones.

Superfreak!! That's it! Someone always told me it was using Thriller by MJ and I was like, no, no way it doesn't, so I thought they must have mistaken it for another MJ song.

But yeah, SUperfreak.

Mika played Superfreak at the Pub and everyone started dancing and I think at first they thought it was MC Hammer. I know I did. :naughty: