Picture thought moment...

Akim

Mika having a picture thought moment:

Looking Up and to the Right

LACK OF EYE CONTACT,

...Now there is a buzz term in autism ;and some of us but, not all of us in our autism circles have been told and we are noted at times for looking UP and to the RIGHT when we are doing a deep Picture thought. Our eyes actually physically look up and to the right. When eye contacts returns to normal the Picture thought is over and we are better able to do real life...

http://prerainmanautism.blogspot.com/2006/05/looking-up-and-to-right.html

post-1242-142983662988_thumb.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mika having a picture thought moment:

Looking Up and to the Right

LACK OF EYE CONTACT,

...Now there is a buzz term in autism ;and some of us but, not all of us in our autism circles have been told and we are noted at times for looking UP and to the RIGHT when we are doing a deep Picture thought. Our eyes actually physically look up and to the right. When eye contacts returns to normal the Picture thought is over and we are better able to do real life...

http://prerainmanautism.blogspot.com/2006/05/looking-up-and-to-right.html

wow i never put that idea to mika ahaha

I don't quite get it. Does it mean that look is reserved to autism? Erm, just because if that is the case I'm definitely autistic. I do that, too if I try to remember something... So I guess we are all a little autistic.

interesting...I read somewhere the the direction we look at means various things, depending on each one. Looking up and to the left has something to do with remembering something, up and to the right is something to do with trying work something out.

I can't remember what the other two were, but it happens involuntarily (if that's how you spell it:blink: ) and autism does tie in with the working something out...it's a very vague connection, but still.

You're pretty clever thinking about that, if I were to watch an interview or see a pic of him, I'd be more like "*listens and watches and hangs on EVERY word*" rather than "hmm...let's kick in my psychological knowledge!" :thumb_yello:

interesting...I read somewhere the the direction we look at means various things, depending on each one. Looking up and to the left has something to do with remembering something, up and to the right is something to do with trying work something out.

I can't remember what the other two were, but it happens involuntarily (if that's how you spell it:blink: ) and autism does tie in with the working something out...it's a very vague connection, but still.

You're pretty clever thinking about that, if I were to watch an interview or see a pic of him, I'd be more like "*listens and watches and hangs on EVERY word*" rather than "hmm...let's kick in my psychological knowledge!" :thumb_yello:

Its actually the opposite, but you're right about the two sides having different functions- the right hand side visualises, while the left hand side works things out...Thanks for the compliment:thumb_yello:

I don't quite get it. Does it mean that look is reserved to autism? Erm, just because if that is the case I'm definitely autistic. I do that, too if I try to remember something... So I guess we are all a little autistic.

No it doesn't. We do this naturally with out thinking whether autistic or not. In autism (I'm not an expert) people tend to withdraw into themselves- which is why they are encouraged to maintain eye contact, but this article is saying that there is a reason behind the eye movement (i.e. remembering) and is more pronounced in Autism.

We did something like this in Psychology last year. We were asking our tutor how to figure out if someone lying or not and he said if they look up and to the right it means they're geniunly trying to focus on something stored in their brain and down and to the left is trying to make up fresh information aka a lie.

I think that's what he said anyway.

Nothin to do with autism that I know of though...

Its actually the opposite, but you're right about the two sides having different functions- the right hand side visualises, while the left hand side works things out...Thanks for the compliment:thumb_yello:

well, I knew I got something right!:biggrin2:

hmm, it's diffo for me, I always look up and to the right when I work something out! :blink: oh God; I'm not mental, am I?! :shocked:

hmm, it's diffo for me, I always look up and to the right when I work something out! :blink: oh God; I'm not mental, am I?! :shocked:

There are general rules for where people look to access stored memories, where they look to make up new stuff etc, but it's like 'most people are right-handed' and everyone can have their own combinations. It is interesting to try to notuice your own, as well as other poeple's patterns.

Anthony Robbins uses it a lot. Its from a field called Neuro Linguistic Programming, invented by Richard Bandler.

There are general rules for where people look to access stored memories, where they look to make up new stuff etc, but it's like 'most people are right-handed' and everyone can have their own combinations. It is interesting to try to notuice your own, as well as other poeple's patterns.

Anthony Robbins uses it a lot. Its from a field called Neuro Linguistic Programming, invented by Richard Bandler.

Derren Brown (The mysterious looking, sexy, mind reading guy) also mentions it in one of his shows.. He could see if someone was lying by looking at her eyes! I think it's very funny and it could be handy :cool:

:blink: Then there is something wrong with me.. I knew that!

:lmfao:

and I always turn my head to my left when I'm thinking.. and I usually dont notice that!

now what does this mean??!

:doh::annoyed_h4h: Do you say that Mika is autistic???

Oh my God why don't you guys leave him alone?

We love Mika as he is

Please stop it.:doh::annoyed_h4h:

no! AS bathubsandicecream said : it wasn't meant offensively.

• 2 weeks later...
:doh::annoyed_h4h: Do you say that Mika is autistic???

Oh my God why don't you guys leave him alone?

We love Mika as he is

Please stop it.:doh::annoyed_h4h:

I love Mika too...

Whats wrong with being Autistic, anyway?

People who are autistic have difficulty communicating and relating to other people AND incidentally it is NOT what I was suggesting Mika has!

I quoted this article because the reason given for the act of looking up and to the right was that, the person is trying to picture whatever it is they are thinking of, hence "picture thought moment"- this doesn't only happen to autistic people, it just happened to be mentioned here, (that's all!) and is explained very well...