What don't they like about Mika?

ella

So... since I read the "Grace Kelly most irritating" and the "Grace Kelly Annoying" threads, I started to wonder :sneaky2: What is it that some people find irritating and don't like about Mika's music (and not only about Grace Kelly).

Don't get me wrong, it's not a joke or a kind of sarcasm. Personally I am in love with his music, but I really seriously would like to understand those people's reasons. I don't want to start a rude debate, but I would like to ask them to share their opinions and explain their reasons. I think it could be pretty thought-provoking.

Ok, I start:

As I said before, I go crazy for Mika's music, but for example my boyfriend doesn't. I mean he would never say rude or unfair things about him, but he doesn't like his music. He explained his opinion to me. He said he finds it irritating that Mika changes his tone in his songs very often. I mean for example in Love Today or in Grace Kelly his voice is extraordinary high, and in the next moment it's deep and manly and rocky. My boyfreind says that Mika's high voice itself wouldn't irritate him at all because he finds Mika talented, but these huge, too often changes are too much for him.

I have to add that personally I don't mind this about his songs (I love it), but it is a point of view too, and I can get what my boyfriend was trying to say.

P.S.: Please note, I'm looking forward to a discussion with reasons and explanations, and not replies like "Mika is perfect I don't understand how can anyone not love him" or "Mika is rubbish".

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, to be honest, I don't know anyone that doesn't like him for his musical talent... The only people I know that don't like him, it's because of his look/style/image. They probably just can't stand all the colorfulness/the "childish" behavior/his flamboyantness... those kinds of things.... Because, well nobody I know, knows Mika's music so... They only know grace kelly, and lately some know relax as well...

But anyway, everyone I know quite likes those songs so... there's only one girl that doesn't like relax either... i dunno why... but she's like into r&b/hiphop... so that may explain it..

well,not to offend anyone,but people are kinda "limited" musically speaking

they are accustomed to a type of voice and want to hear only that. Or they say that someone has a great voice when it`s powerfull and loud,like Christina Aguilera`s (I`m not saying she hasn`t got a great voice)

they don`t really know how a valuable,special and unique voice sounds like. and if you tell someone ,well Mika has 4 octaves they go.. :blink: "aha...and?"

it`s one of those patterns that men only have to sound like men...women on the other hand can have menly,deep voices and their considerd a revelation.

I`m kinda annoyed by the comments on his voice,especially from people who can`t judge it correctly. I for one grew up in a classical music environment,because my mom is an opera singer and I know that 99% of the people there would kill to have Mika`s voice.

I also got so angry when a friend of mine said "haha,listen to this,is it a man or a woman?" 23.gif

those are just idiotic comments to make,and she really got me started that time... if you can`t tell a great voice from a regular voice,then you might wanna keep the comments to yourself... anyway,I told her,ok ,here`s a song where he isn`t being a woman,and she was like....yeah but this sounds too sad,I don`t like this voice either 23.gif

anyway,Mika has the best music I`ve heard in a very very long time,come to think of it,it`s not like anything I`ve ever heard before

and abt what Droopsy said that friend who`s into r&b/hiphop. I listen to all types of music,and my question is,if I can accept neuron-killing lyrics like 50 Cent,or at least agree to listen to them once to know what it`s about,why can`t people give Mika a chance?

they start with the line "he`s too....(insert breathtaking argument)....for r n` b ,or rock" or God knows what gerne. so I should accept their music,but they don`t even wanna give my music a chance?

I just find it sad that people refuse to think outside the box

I listen to all types of music,and my question is,if I can accept neuron-killing lyrics like 50 Cent,or at least agree to listen to them once to know what it`s about,why can`t people give Mika a chance?

they start with the line "he`s too....(insert breathtaking argument)....for r n` b ,or rock" or God knows what gerne. so I should accept their music,but they don`t even wanna give my music a chance?

Very true!

LOL, you remind me someone saying:

"Why don't you like me, why don't you like me whithout making me try?!"

heeey,artists aren`t all knitters! :roftl: :roftl:

You know what I meant, Ioana :sneaky2:

It was identity #2 that posted this. The nice one :original:

...and I don't want to be reduced to being a knitter either :boxed:, well, I am but not in first place. :sneaky2:

and abt what Droopsy said that friend who`s into r&b/hiphop. I listen to all types of music,and my question is,if I can accept neuron-killing lyrics like 50 Cent,or at least agree to listen to them once to know what it`s about,why can`t people give Mika a chance?

yeah idd, and that's the problem with my friends! A problem that goes very far I must say! It's like, people that listen to hiphop mostly, can't listen to metal or mika or whatever, people that like marilyn manson can't like pop music blabla....

It's so bad, that I have like all different friends, that all have their own little music box, that also influences the rest of their lives! Like way of clothing and where u go out and such. Problem that follows is: I have friends that are like "goths" if u have to put a name on it, listening to metal and stuff, then I have friends that are like the "r&b chicks", some that listen to dance etc etc....

Problem is: none of my friends can go out with each other, and wouldn't even want that because of their "box" and style. How crazy is that?????

So I have like all those types of friends cause I listen to all kinds of music! oldies, classic, ballads, rock, hard rock, metal, pop, r&b, latin.......... Everything!

And I can be very objective about artists, even if I don't like their image, i can still say I love their voice or their talents...

yeah idd, and that's the problem with my friends! A problem that goes very far I must say! It's like, people that listen to hiphop mostly, can't listen to metal or mika or whatever, people that like marilyn manson can't like pop music blabla....

It's so bad, that I have like all different friends, that all have their own little music box, that also influences the rest of their lives! Like way of clothing and where u go out and such. Problem that follows is: I have friends that are like "goths" if u have to put a name on it, listening to metal and stuff, then I have friends that are like the "r&b chicks", some that listen to dance etc etc....

Problem is: none of my friends can go out with each other, and wouldn't even want that because of their "box" and style. How crazy is that?????

So I have like all those types of friends cause I listen to all kinds of music! oldies, classic, ballads, rock, hard rock, metal, pop, r&b, latin.......... Everything!

And I can be very objective about artists, even if I don't like their image, i can still say I love their voice or their talents...

I know what you mean. You would expect only some teens to act like that but actually a lot of 'adult' people act the same way.

When I was 15 my favourite band was Nirvana and I remember that people marked me all the time because of that.:thumbdown: They called me names and they were also saying such a preposterous things about how all those who like punk and rock stink and stuff like that...:blink: I never cared about that, though.

I don't want music to limit me but to give some new width and cognitions.:serenade:

And about those who don't like Mika's music...I know that there are different tastes but to be frank, it's very hard for me to understand that someone doesn't like his music.

But OK I'm willing to understand that there are people who just really don't like that style and type of music but I will never, never understand those who say his voice sucks. :giveup: