Mika in Star Système

There's an interview with our dear Mika in this week's Star Système, a magazine from Québec...

I know the pictures are shiny and stuff but I don't have a scanner so I took pics of the magazine... luckily nobody saw me do that lol !!! :naughty:

It's in french, translation available below (it's in two parts)

P7060074.jpg

P7060073.jpg

Some bigger versions of each page so you're actually able to read...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohh !! Merci pour le scann! A mon stage ils recoivent toutes les revues possibles et on peut garder les articles qui nous intéressent lorsque tout le monde a lu la revue! Cet article la est a moi, je vais l'arracher et partir avec :roftl:

MIKA THE HIT MACHINE !

Mika doesn't have his tongue in his pocket (french expression, not sure how to translate this... lol basically it means to not be afraid of saying whatever's on your mind) but in his songs ! His huge hit, Grace Kelly, illustrates on its own the personality and the talent of this singer with one of the most particular vocal tone.

Mika, how do you react to your phenomenal success ?

In the end, it's exciting and terrifying at the same time. All of it seems unreal to me. I feel as europhic as a 5 years old kid !

What was your first contact with the musical world ?

I started as a chorist in a Strauss opera with the Royal Opera House in London. Then, we recorded contemporary music in different european countries. I was a kid back then. This experience has allowed me to evolve in different musical spheres at a very young age. So I rapidly ended up at the Royal College of Music, where we studied the lieder (lieder, plural of lied, german word : brief composition for one voice accompanied by a piano or an instrumental ensemble) and french music. In the evening, I would write pop songs hoping to get a record contract. I was living a double life !

Your song Grace Kelly has a special meaning for you. You wrote it because a record company asked you to be more "in" right ?

I haven't had sign anything with this company. I was collaborating with it, and some of its writers were trying to mold my style into something more popular. I wrote this song as a insult to the music industry. A stick you song ! I transposed the problems that this industry caused me in different aspects of my life.

Does being reffered to by the media as the rising star of 2007 flatters you or embarrases you ?

It would be dishonest to deny that it is a huge source of pressure. However, I feel privileged, because this is a situation that not many people have the chance to experience. So I intend to take the most out of it.

First rejected by the music industry, how did you manage to hit it big like that ?

I would assiduously send them my songs, which they would refuse with the same assiduity. Then, two years ago, a renowned record company in London phoned me. I bought a new pair of white shoes, as I do everytime I have an important meeting, and I went to meet these people. They spent an hour telling me how talented I was, but I had to completely change my style. I was so furious that when I got home I put into a song everything I thought of them, lyrics and music. And I sent them the demo. I think when they got to the lyrics "Should I bend over, should I look older, just to be put on your shelf...", they decided to not call me back. Of course, it was the song Grace Kelly. It was an insult that I was adressing to them and I was happy that they took it as an insult. If they would've told me that they love it, my conclusion would've been that I brilliantly missed my point !

But then, this success, how did it happen ?

I somehow ended up in Miami. I was studying at the Royal College of Music and, during the holiday, I went and recorded my songs with musicians. Everybody was helping me volontarly, for free. We did this on the down low after the business hour, between 9 pm and 3 in the morning. We recorded in all the famous studios, even Barry Gibb's. As a matter of fact, he surprised us and kicked us out. He even fired the sound ingeneer that had let me in. It took me a year to burn 4 songs. I was broke, I was still a student. Then, I went on and took care of the visual aspect of the cd booklet and the album. In New York, I polished up a 45 minutes presentation. And from that point everything happened so fast. The next day, all the record companies wanted to sign me. I went from the unwanted for who they wouldn't answer the phone, to the musician that had to hide to record, to the one that everybody wants !

Your music gives the impression that you have a strong musical trainging.

I taught myself to play the piano, because I'm dyslexic, and not just a little ! I can't read music, it's latin for me. I play everything by ear. That's what gives me a particular style at the piano. But I'm the first one to admit that, on the technical aspectm I'm very limited. That being said, in pop music, this work method turns out to be effective.

Is the falsetto your favorite singing technique ?

I like to play with vocal contrasts, from the falsetto to the full voice. I do a lot of vocal acrobatics, which brings me to falsetto. It's not really for the tone of it but rather for the dramatic effect that I get from it. The voice is a musical instrument that I consider good to make use of.

How old are you ?

I'm 23

It's rather young, and you've always been doing music. Would you say that music is your life ?

I did dive into music at a rateher young age. I experienced only one moment of doubt in my life, when I registered in geography at the London School of Economics. I dropped out the first day in the middle of the afternoon. Two weeks later, I got into the Royal College of Music.

Do you have the impression of having a real career ?

It's hard to tell. In fact, I have fun, I learn new things I act as if I understand what's going on at the moment. I think that it is as a matter of fact a career. Musicians always act like relaxed people. They work like crazy, they are aware of having to plan things, but they act as if they are above all that. That's good but, wether we want it or not, we have to be organised.

The british musical world is rough. Is it livable ?

What are you talking about ?

All the tabloids, their way of fast-tracking a newcomer to the star of the year status, don't you find it expeditious and rough ?

It's hard, but it's reality. You have to be aware of that when you get into something that is related to the public domain. Wether it's a politician, a well-known doctor or an author, everybody's in the same situation. For now, I don't know a lot on the subject and I avoid tabloids. But, if you want to talk about it in 6 months, when I'll be completely terrified, our conversation will probably take on a completely different direction !

Ohh !! Merci pour le scann! A mon stage ils recoivent toutes les revues possibles et on peut garder les articles qui nous intéressent lorsque tout le monde a lu la revue! Cet article la est a moi, je vais l'arracher et partir avec :roftl:

Tu fais bien !!!! :punk:

Thank you so much Sunshine! :biggrin2:

Glad you like it, it was really long to translate !!

Then, two years ago, a renowned record company in London phoned me. I bought a new pair of white shoes, as I do everytime I have an important meeting, and I went to meet these people. They spent an hour telling me how talented I was, but I had to completely change my style.

No, no, no! How can they do that? New shoes and all. :annoyed_h4h:

Thanks for your effort to post and translate this nice thing!

lol !!!! :roftl: yeah how can you do that to someone who has new white shoes on !!!! :boxed:

Exactly. That's just so rude! And I seriously mean it! :boxed:

Ahhh, love it how this all started!

"I even bought a pair of new shoes for this and all you're saying that I should go and be something else.

Watta*ell!! :blink: "

*goes home to play GK*

Exactly. That's just so rude! And I seriously mean it! :boxed:

Ahhh, love it how this all started!

"I even bought a pair of new shoes for this and all you're saying that I should go and be something else.

Watta*ell!! :blink: "

*goes home to play GK*

LOL !!! :roftl:

Thanks for posting it Sunshine! I read the article this morning at the hairdresser and was wondering if someone had posted it!

hehe of course I did !!!

....mmmmm maybe I should change my custom title to "ze translator" :naughty: