Over my shoulder, a stroke of genius !

lotus58

Thank you for the lyrircs, but are you sure it should be fork out my daylight? :blink:

In another thread I followed a big discussion about that, fork out( And what does that mean?) or fog out?:blink:

Use the search option and look for the other posts of that member called lookovermyshoulder.

He will tell you that it is definitely fork - and you'd better believe him. :wink2:

I guess it's "fork out" too, the link given by dcdeb is reliable...:bleh:

Exactly what I just tried to say. :naughty:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the lyrircs, but are you sure it should be fork out my daylight? :blink:

In another thread I followed a big discussion about that, fork out( And what does that mean?) or fog out?:blink:

And what is "the facebook group Mika Life in Cartoon Motion"?

I can't find anywhere.

Could you please post a link?

Love Sienna:thumb_yello:

hi sienna, though I am an English teacher I cannot be considered to be a native speaker for my mother tongue is Dutch, still I think that both 'to fog out' and 'to fork out' could work here. I think 'fork or fog out my daylight' can both be interpreted as 'drain away my daylight' or 'make my daylight disappear' ... does that do now ? or could some Enlish speaking person maybe shed a light on this enigma ? ...

anyway, I think this explanation really fits, no ?

I think we should all let Mika know that we expect him to continue to write such wonderful gems of music. they stand out as lonely diamonds shining among all the crap we hear nowadays !

shed a tear but please don't get too depressed either listening to this song, I think MIKA might miss his most truthful fans when we all end up getting depressed :biggrin2:

Yannick

i really love this song too. i mean i love all, but it's so relaxing. i listen to it every night in bed cause it takes me forever to sleep and i just close my eyes and listen to it. most of the times i get goosebump and cry a bit, but i've learnt to control that :biggrin2: i love how u can hear his emotions in it...i really like that aspect of him (in all his songs u can hear how he's feeling) and it's really deep. but it's mostly a night song for me lol.

but i really have to be in the mood during the day to listen to it, cause i mush prefer love today, ring ring and the other upbeat songs :biggrin2:

my mom said it sounded like a funeral song.

Lotus, you are a man after my own heart! Over My Shoulder has done many things for me. It moved me, brought me to tears, comforted me, and also strengthened my faith in Mika's musicianship. It showed me how truly versatile and thoughtful he is as an artist. I have had classical training myself, so I was happy to see him incorporate his classical background into a pop record. You're right. It is simple, and it is also very stark. Mika knows how to use the silence and empty space to create a mood and draw the listener in. The dissonance on "cold" is absolutely heart wrenching. I don't know how anyone could listen to it and not feel something. Thank you for giving me another opportunity to praise this song! :thumb_yello:

hi sienna, though I am an English teacher I cannot be considered to be a native speaker for my mother tongue is Dutch, still I think that both 'to fog out' and 'to fork out' could work here. I think 'fork or fog out my daylight' can both be interpreted as 'drain away my daylight' or 'make my daylight disappear' ... does that do now ? or could some Enlish speaking person maybe shed a light on this enigma ? ...

anyway, I think this explanation really fits, no ?

I think we should all let Mika know that we expect him to continue to write such wonderful gems of music. they stand out as lonely diamonds shining among all the crap we hear nowadays !

shed a tear but please don't get too depressed either listening to this song, I think MIKA might miss his most truthful fans when we all end up getting depressed :biggrin2:

Yannick

Thanks a lot for trying to explain the meaning of those words to me.

I love the english langugae, but sometimes it can be a bit difficult for us who has to learn it in school.

But I've learned a lot of english just going on-line and try to talk to people for example in this forum.The true is, sometimes I get a little jealous of people who has english as their motherlanguage.

When they are making jokes so easy with each other I realize I have a long way to go.

And Kavi, I really agree with you when you are talking about hearing what Mika is feeling when he sings. That is one of the things I love the most about him as a singer. To me it is like he is giving away a peace of his heart every time he is singing his songs.

And...One of my other favourits is Stuck In The Middle.

I like to think about it as a conversation between a parent and a teenager.

I could have had this converstion with my mother when I was a teenager.

You don't meen to hurt each other, but you do, because you are really close, and at the same time in very different places in life, with different goals.

What do you think? It would be intersting to hear what you all think of this song!

When I first heard 'Over My Shoulder', I wasn't sure about it, because I thought it sounded uncannily similar to Martin Grech's 'Open Heart Zoo', but now it's one of my favourites of Mika's songs. I love depressing music XD

anyone out there who's noticed that this song could become a classical standard ?! the simple and very emotional melody-line is worthy of some classical composers and the song should find its place in any 'lied'- repertoire ! :jawdrop: the version with the countertenor-guy from the opera school accompanying him simply makes the tears roll down my cheeks. :crybaby: Thanks Mika, for so much emotion, continue in this vein too, please ...

You took the words out of my mouth!

"Over My Shoulder" has that simple, but emotional feel to it. I almost cried the first time I listened to it. It's so beautiful and tragic.

You took the words out of my mouth!

"Over My Shoulder" has that simple, but emotional feel to it. I almost cried the first time I listened to it. It's so beautiful and tragic.

The first time I heard a bit of the beginning of the song, I switched it because a feeling of deep sorrow sort of came over me. Now, I listen to it when I'm already sad, because then a happy song makes me feel worse.

It's a beautiful sad song. :-)

Yes! Yes, a thousand times yes!

This song is stunningly, amazingly, breath-takingly beautiful! It's slow, minimalist, repetitive, hypnotic and emotional and sounds uncannily like Ludwig van Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (which he wrote about an unrequited love at the darkest stage of the progression of his deafness and is, in my opinion, the most gorgeous and bittersweet piece of music ever committed to piano and my all-time favourite piece of music of all time in all genres). If you love Over My Shoulder, you'll love Michael Andrew's score for Donnie Darko and Ludwig van Beethoven's piano sonatas (he's more famous for his symphonies but his piano sonatas are genius and are extremely underrated in my opinion). The only pop artist that I can compare Mika to with it are Elton John and Tori Amos (her amazing piano acoustics are rare but out there).

Mika's performace of Over My Shoulder at Koko was incredible and emotional and almost tragically beautiful. It gives me goosebumps every time I watch the video it; I can't imagine what it must have been like to watch it live. I showed the video of it to my friend and said to her "There, how many pop artists can you name can do that?". She was stunned as much as I was.

Over My Shoulder and Relax, Take It Easy (Piano Acoustic) are my most favourite Mika songs. I love the classic-rock-with-a-twist upbeat tracks as much as the next person but it's in those two songs that Mika truly displays his virtuosity. It would be simply wonderful if Mika made more musical gems such as them!

about the acoustic version of Relax:

You're right! It's kinda strange, cause the other version is cool, and very dancable. But, the acoustic version has something dramatic. I don't know... when het sings the 'eeeasy' it gives me goosebumps. Maybe it's because that's the place where you can hear the beauty of his voice the best and not hidden by drums and guitars.

Don't get me wrong, from what I've seen on youtube and the msn-performance, I really really like his live shows.

But only him and a piano and maybe a second voice... it shows what it's al about.

I would do anything to hear him do Over My Shoulder live!

greetz,

-Stien-

about the acoustic version of Relax:

You're right! It's kinda strange, cause the other version is cool, and very dancable. But, the acoustic version has something dramatic. I don't know... when het sings the 'eeeasy' it gives me goosebumps. Maybe it's because that's the place where you can hear the beauty of his voice the best and not hidden by drums and guitars.

Don't get me wrong, from what I've seen on youtube and the msn-performance, I really really like his live shows.

But only him and a piano and maybe a second voice... it shows what it's al about.

I would do anything to hear him do Over My Shoulder live!

greetz,

-Stien-

I agree with you 100%. The piano acoustic version of Relax, Take It Easy is definitely more dramatic, more sweeping and more theatrical. When he sings 'eeeasy' I also get goosebumps - it's such a stunning, high and long note. Your comment about the voice not being hidden by drums and guitars is exactly why I adore piano acoustics - the voice is naked, accompanied only by the tinkling (or banging depending on the style) of the most gorgeous of instruments. I wish that I could see Over My Shoulder live but Mika doesn't perform it as often anymore because crowds talk and spoil the experience. I think that it's a real pity because it's an important aspect of Mika as an artist that they miss out on.

Scut Monkey, I completely agree with you. I also compare Mika to Elton John! Haha! I have yet to hear the acoustic version of Relax, although I do plan on buying it. After reading your review of the track, I am definitely looking forward to hearing it.

Oh, and Moonlight Sonata is one of my all time favorite pieces also, to listen to, and to play. You can just feel the heartache.

Scut Monkey, I completely agree with you. I also compare Mika to Elton John! Haha! I have yet to hear the acoustic version of Relax, although I do plan on buying it. After reading your review of the track, I am definitely looking forward to hearing it.

Oh, and Moonlight Sonata is one of my all time favorite pieces also, to listen to, and to play. You can just feel the heartache.

I can't help it, when I hear Mika's solo acoustic performances I think of Elton John's acoustic performances of Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word (which positively breaks my heart) and Rocketman; it must be the similar minimalist music, stretching vocal performances and the 'x-factor' i.e. that 'something else', that emotional element that great performers have.

If Mika's debut album, B-sides, leaked demos and live performances are anything to go by, he may very well be the next great piano-featuring pop artist. Over My Shoulder and the acoustic version of Relax, Take It Easy (not to mention his simply stunning Intoxicated demo, his gorgeous cover of Harry Nilsson's Everybody's Talkin' and his beautiful cover of REM's Satellite) indicate that there's a yet to be explored artistic side of Mika that really excites me!

Re Moonlight Sonata: that piece is the soundtrack of my life. Life is bittersweet, there are both loves and losses, and Beethoven summed it up so succinctly and beautifully that... that... I don't know how to express it, it leaves me breathless and makes by heart skip a beat. :wub2:

oh oh I love his version of "Everybody's talkin' too, I like it better than Harry's, you can feel what he is feeling while he sings it, and also "Over My shoulder" of course is hauntingly beautiful, (you could hear a pin drop when he sang it at SH, or did I just go into my own world), as is "overrated" and "Intoxicated" I like to stop what I am doing and soak up the atmosphere of his more emotional songs, but then "Stuck in The Middle" although more upbeat, draws me in due to the lyrics, I am very very interested in the lyrics of songs due to witting a spot of poetry now and then myself I guess.

I like all of Mika's songs that I have heard so far and all for different reasons and some of them I only thought were ok on first hearing, like "Ring Ring" and "Relax", but now they are up there with my faves lol. I love how he sings "Grace Kelly" and "Love today" live, the anger comes out in "Grace Kelly", it's full of "up yours" (well that is what I hear when I hear it) and in "Love today" it just comes across to me as kinda sexy in places when he yells out "gonna make you a LOOOOOVERRRR" and holds the note for aaages, wooo I love that then he goes and does that drumming and I go into a frenzy it really really gets into my soul when he does that, like I wanna jump up and just screeeeeaaaam, in fact just thinking of it gets me all steamed up lol, his music his different songs fill me with different moods and emotions and I love that, he takes my emotions on a rollercoaster and its exciting. (seems like I just like them all like I say and all for different reasons).

oh oh I love his version of "Everybody's talkin' too, I like it better than Harry's, you can feel what he is feeling while he sings it, and also "Over My shoulder" of course is hauntingly beautiful, (you could hear a pin drop when he sang it at SH, or did I just go into my own world), as is "overrated" and "Intoxicated" I like to stop what I am doing and soak up the atmosphere of his more emotional songs, but then "Stuck in The Middle" although more upbeat, draws me in due to the lyrics, I am very very interested in the lyrics of songs due to witting a spot of poetry now and then myself I guess.

I like all of Mika's songs that I have heard so far and all for different reasons and some of them I only thought were ok on first hearing, like "Ring Ring" and "Relax", but now they are up there with my faves lol. I love how he sings "Grace Kelly" and "Love today" live, the anger comes out in "Grace Kelly", it's full of "up yours" (well that is what I hear when I hear it) and in "Love today" it just comes across to me as kinda sexy in places when he yells out "gonna make you a LOOOOOVERRRR" and holds the note for aaages, wooo I love that then he goes and does that drumming and I go into a frenzy it really really gets into my soul when he does that, like I wanna jump up and just screeeeeaaaam, in fact just thinking of it gets me all steamed up lol, his music his different songs fill me with different moods and emotions and I love that, he takes my emotions on a rollercoaster and its exciting. (seems like I just like them all like I say and all for different reasons).

Oh, Sparkly1!

You can really describe a lot of what I'm feeling too by listening to Mikas music!

And the good thing about his music is that you can feel that he really loves to performe his songs too.

A rollercaster ride that's exactly what it is.

"Over My shoulder" of course is hauntingly beautiful, (you could hear a pin drop when he sang it at SH, or did I just go into my own world),

No it wasn't just you. I thought it was amazing at SH!