Over my shoulder, a stroke of genius !

lotus58

anyone out there who's noticed that this song could become a classical standard ?! the simple and very emotional melody-line is worthy of some classical composers and the song should find its place in any 'lied'- repertoire ! :jawdrop: the version with the countertenor-guy from the opera school accompanying him simply makes the tears roll down my cheeks. :crybaby: Thanks Mika, for so much emotion, continue in this vein too, please ...

post-5596-142983668454_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

about Over my Shoulder: I can only agree. It consists only of 4 chords (is that correct English??) but the beauty of it is indiscribable!

It's extremely sad, and when the second voice starts to sing I always have to stop doing what I am doing at that moment, and I have to sit down and just listen to it...

Amazing. Even if you're not a fan of Mika, you have to admit that this songs is a masterpiece. It's also a good way to convince people of his talent.

greetz,

S.

about Over my Shoulder: I can only agree. It consists only of 4 chords (is that correct English??) but the beauty of it is indiscribable!

It's extremely sad, and when the second voice starts to sing I always have to stop doing what I am doing at that moment, and I have to sit down and just listen to it...

Amazing. Even if you're not a fan of Mika, you have to admit that this songs is a masterpiece. It's also a good way to convince people of his talent.

greetz,

S.

you english is fine, and yes they are chords. you are so right !

I was well impressed when this song was being performed at Somerset House last week. The thing I like the most about the song is the second part (what we call 'tweede stem' in Dutch).

Oh, yes!

Could'nt agree more!

It's a really beautiful song.

It's a little bit different from most of his other music.

I know I'm not the only one who is thinking; This song should be played at my funeral!

I love to look att his performance of this song too, especially the one from msn.

And when he hugs the guy who has been singing the duet whit him, I use to think that it really means something emotionally for him and the other guy to be able to sing like this together.

The making of music can be very emotional, of course!

I always feel at a loss for words when it comes to this song ...

It is simple but heartfelt and sounds so tragic I get goosebumps each time I listen to it.

At the same time it stands out from not only the rest of the album but also from any other songs that has been put on pop records in the last 15 years or so....

Beautiful beautiful beautiful....

This song should be played at my funeral!

i've had the same thought!!

this song is beautiful! of course you should be in a particular mood to listen to it, it's not easy, but it is so touching..and dark and deep..love it.

Everytime I listen to the song, I just sit back and close my eyes to let the words sink in. It's really beautiful and sad and sometimes a tear rolls down my cheek as I listen to it, because it describes how I felt a few years ago.

Everytime I listen to the song, I just sit back and close my eyes to let the words sink in. It's really beautiful and sad and sometimes a tear rolls down my cheek as I listen to it, because it describes how I felt a few years ago.

Aw, hope your feeling better now!

I agree with everyone!

'Over My Shoulder' is such a beautiful, beautiful song, and it shows Mika's incredible vocal range as well as his deepest emotions, it just makes my skin crawl when I hear it.

I especially like it when he sings it live, as it seems even more heartlfelt then than in the LICM version.

Together with 'In Any Other World', this song is one of the few that when Mika performs, you can actually SEE the all the emotions on his face, he even closes his eyes at times and seems totally lost in it.

I love it. How can he be capable of such beauty? It's incredible, and it's one of the things that, in my eyes, differentiates him from most artists 'out there'.

Sara.

I agree with everyone!

'Over My Shoulder' is such a beautiful, beautiful song, and it shows Mika's incredible vocal range as well as his deepest emotions, it just makes my skin crawl when I hear it.

I especially like it when he sings it live, as it seems even more heartlfelt then than in the LICM version.

Together with 'In Any Other World', this song is one of the few that when Mika performs, you can actually SEE the all the emotions on his face, he even closes his eyes at times and seems totally lost in it.

I love it. How can he be capable of such beauty? It's incredible, and it's one of the things that, in my eyes, differentiates him from most artists 'out there'.

Sara.

I often wonder about that too. It's a beautiful song :wink2:

greetz,

S.

DO YOU KNOW THE LYRICS.???? I UNDERSTAND A BIT BUT NOT THE WHOLE THING. AND YES THIS SONG AND HAPPY ENDING MAKE ME CRY LIKE A BABY WHO NEEDS THE BOTTLE. HE PUTS A LOT OF FEELING IN THESE SONGS THAT WE FEEL THEM TOO.

anyone out there who's noticed that this song could become a classical standard ?! the simple and very emotional melody-line is worthy of some classical composers and the song should find its place in any 'lied'- repertoire ! :jawdrop: the version with the countertenor-guy from the opera school accompanying him simply makes the tears roll down my cheeks. :crybaby: Thanks Mika, for so much emotion, continue in this vein too, please ...

It is one of my favorite songs EVER... and I have to blink back tears, too. Every single time I hear it. I've said this before, but I think it demonstrates the potential in Mika to be so much more than JUST someone who cranks

out two-minute wonders... If he wants to do pop songs, it's clear that he

can, but Over My Shoulder shows that he has it in him to do so much else.

I just LOVE it. :wub2:

dcdeb

DO YOU KNOW THE LYRICS.???? I UNDERSTAND A BIT BUT NOT THE WHOLE THING. AND YES THIS SONG AND HAPPY ENDING MAKE ME CRY LIKE A BABY WHO NEEDS THE BOTTLE. HE PUTS A LOT OF FEELING IN THESE SONGS THAT WE FEEL THEM TOO.

The lyrics:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10863&postcount=89

To be honest I didn't quite like this song at the beginning, but then this changed out of the sudden. And now I truly adore it...it's such a sad song and it always makes me thing about so many different things.

I like to listen it out loud and when I'm completely alone...I can't really share these moments with anyone else.

My mom likes it too. She says it's the perfect song.

I love Over My Shoulder and Any Other World very much. Not that I don't like any of Mika's songs, but these are somehow special and different. I guess I couldn't explain what I feel when listening to them, but I agree with all of your posts, and I think these songs are really special masterpieces.

I think it's the too much beauty and perfection that makes me cry when I hear them.

And don't get me wrong, but I read very often on the forum that everybody cries this or that time, but this is the thread where I really have to believe everyone.

Oh, and one more thing:

Last time I was travelling by train with my boyfriend. The journey was very long, and my boyfriend was very bored, so though he doesn't like Mika, he agreed that I show him Mika's songs. All his songs, because I had them all with me on my ipod.

So he, who doesn't like Mika at all, after listening to all of his songs mentioned 2 songs that were very impressive in his opinion. Now guess! Yes, it was Over My Shoulder and Any Other World. He said that they sounded extremely beautiful and sad.

Thank you for the lyrircs, but are you sure it should be fork out my daylight? :blink:

In another thread I followed a big discussion about that, fork out( And what does that mean?) or fog out?:blink:

And what is "the facebook group Mika Life in Cartoon Motion"?

I can't find anywhere.

Could you please post a link?

Love Sienna:thumb_yello:

I first heard Over my shoulder on MSN during his gig at koko, & I didn't like it.......

Tonight I re-watched the live at Koko on tv...& I love it...really

beautiful song...sad lyrics...a lots of emotions...

Relax & Any other world are the best for me in LICM....but there's some other great ones which deserved to be released...:cool:

I guess it's "fork out" too, the link given by dcdeb is reliable...:bleh:...I think...