Article: Four #1's in Holland

Diana

From http://www.nu.nl

Dutch

Vier keer nummer 1 voor Mika

Uitgegeven: 17 augustus 2007 12:24

Laatst gewijzigd: 17 augustus 2007 23:58

BIDDINGHUIZEN - Mika heeft vier nummer-1-noteringen in Nederland te pakken.

De Libanees/Britse zanger staat met zijn album Life In Cartoon Motion bovenaan in de Mega Album Top 100 en met zijn single Relax, Take It Easy op de hoogste plaats van de Single Top 100, de Mega Airplay Top 100 en de Download Top 50.

Dat heeft zijn platenmaatschappij Universal vrijdag laten weten.

Lowlands

Mika trad vrijdagavond op tijdens het festival Lowlands, het was zijn eerste optreden in Nederland. "Weet je, al die nummer-één-noteringen zeggen me niets, het publiek, dát is belangrijk."

En publiek was er voor de zanger, de tent puilde uit en ook buiten stonden nog hordes mensen. "Dat had ik nooit verwacht."

Nerveus

Mika zelf is allesbehalve een festivalganger. "Ik word nerveus van zoveel mensen", geeft hij glimlachend toe. Ook voordat hij het podium op gaat, is hij nerveus.

"Ja, als ik nou Milli Vanilli was, dan zou ik niet zenuwachtig zijn", zegt hij, refererend aan het duo dat zich jaren terug de hitlijsten in playbackte. In november geeft de zanger nog een concert in Nederland. Dat is al uitverkocht.

Grace Kelly

Grace Kelly was de eerste hit die Mika in Nederland scoorde. Het nummer gaat over zijn frustratie dat geen enkele platenmaatschappij aanvankelijk met hem in zee wilde gaan, tenzij hij veranderde. "Ik wil mezelf zijn in plaats van iemand anders en dan ongelukkig."

De zanger heeft dat naar eigen zeggen wel moeten leren, vroeger schikte hij zich wel naar de mening van anderen. "Maar nu doe ik wat ik doe. Vinden mensen het leuk: fijn. Anders lopen ze maar weg."

Gouden plaat

Van zijn debuut-cd zijn in Nederland inmiddels meer dan 35.000 stuks over de toonbank gegaan, daarvoor ontving hij vrijdag ook nog een gouden plaat.

Translation:

Four #1's for Mika

The Lebanese/British singer has his album on the number one spot in the Mega Album Top 100. His single Relax, Take it easy takes the top position in the Single Top 100, Mega Airplay Top 100 and Download Top 50. His recordcompany Universal confirmed this last friday.

Lowlands

Mika performed at Lowlands festival friday evening, which was his first perfomance in the Netherlands. "You know, all these number 1 positions mean nothing to me, the audience, that's what's important."

And an audience is what he god. The tent was packed and the area surrounding it was filled with people. "I never expected this."

Nervous

Mika is anything but a festivalgoer. "This many people make me nervous," he admits smiling. He also gets nervous before taking the stage. "Yeah, if I was Milly Vanilli, I wouldn't be nervous," he says, referring to the duo that lip synched their way into the charts years ago. This november the singer will perform in Holland again. That show is sold out.

Grace Kelly

Grace Kelly was Mika's first hit single in the Netherlands. The song is about his frustration with the fact that no record company would sign him initially, unless he'd change who he was. "I want to be myself instead of someone else and being unhappy."

The singer says he had to learn how to be this way, in the past people's opinions would make him change himself. "But now I do what I do. If people like it: great. Otherwise they should just walk away."

Golden record

His debut album went over the counter more 35,000 times, this earned him a golden disc this friday.

And some pictures from Mika's performance, radio interview where he received the gold disc. Taken from http://www.3fm.nl

55169_5505eb.jpg

55168_fd6f9a.jpg

55166_f0889b.jpg

55167_c5df01.jpg

55170_158332.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's my first time seeing him wear a black shirt

My thoughts.. it looks good on him, doesn't it? But then again, he could wear a plastic bag and it'd look good on him. Never thought he'd be nervous, no. I'm proud he had four number 1's!