Simple misunderstandings between countries

babyblue

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a questions for British ppl or whoever can answer me: Why when I'm listening to british radio they use the words clockwise and anti-clockwise when they talk about the traffic :blink:

There is a ring road (a circular highway) that wraps around outer London. London traffic is too dense and the roads too poorly laid out to travel long distances across town, so people use the highway to go around.

There is a ring road (a circular highway) that wraps around outer London. London traffic is too dense and the roads too poorly laid out to travel long distances across town, so people use the highway to go around.

Thanks Christine :wub2:

One I noticed recently is Jumpers.

In Australia we will say jumper, hoody if its a hoody, or cardy if its a cardigan (but mostly jumper)... yet Jumper is apparently some dress thing in the US?

They use sweater

In Canada a jumper is smth like this: Heart_Jumper_Dress.jpg

Well in most of the Western US they say

You're screwed!!

When you're going to get in trouble for doing something bad.

In OTHER parts of the US 'screw' means to 'make love to' :wink2:

When I moved from Nevada to New England, I said 'You're screwed!' to someone because they didn't study for a test and they were like

"AM NOT!"

:roftl: :roftl:

a screw is also used for building things with wood, they're like nails

Regional slang is pretty funny!

Well in most of the Western US they say

You're screwed!!

When you're going to get in trouble for doing something bad.

In OTHER parts of the US 'screw' means to 'make love to' :wink2:

When I moved from Nevada to New England, I said 'You're screwed!' to someone because they didn't study for a test and they were like

"AM NOT!"

a screw is also used for building things with wood, they're like nails

Regional slang is pretty funny!

Hahaha awkward. Haha there are sooo many different expressions in the US, it gets really confusing.

Hahaha awkward. Haha there are sooo many different expressions in the US, it gets really confusing.

Yeah

There's so many examples, since the states are so big

It's also confusing to move because different things are 'in'

So on your first day at your new school, you look like a dweeb because you're dressed 'differently' (which is GOOD :thumb_yello: it's happened to me enough)

Yeah

So on your first day at your new school, you look like a dweeb because you're dressed 'differently' (which is GOOD :thumb_yello: it's happened to me enough)

Hahahaha yeah. Sometimes I say "English" things at school and people are like "HUH??!?!?!"

Where are you moving from?

Yeah

dweeb??:boxed:

I say 'Grotty', meaning 'grotesque.'

Mostly because I was raised on George Harrison, and he said it in 'Hard Day's Night'. So ever since I was a kid, I say that. My dad yells at me and tells me it's 'grody', which is how most people say something is grotesque.

I was trying to think of some more tonight. "She blew me off." doesn't refer to oral sex, it's more like if you're ignoring someone. Like if I went up to Mika, and said "OMGZ BIGGIST FAN RITE HURR!", he'd "blow me off" or he "blew me off", meaning he'd just look at me, then ignore me for the rest of the night.

You might hear 'Hoagie' if you're anywhere in Pennsylvania. A hoagie is the same thing as a sub, gyro, hero, whatever. If you ever watch 'Viva la Bam', you'll hear him say 'hoagie' instead of 'sub'.

You'll hear alot of PA people say "Red up". example:

Go red up your room.

Red up the den before your grandma gets here.

Why aren't you redding up?

Redding it just another word for cleaning. Also, alot of PA people say 'outten'. You don't turn OUT the lights, you OUTTEN the lights.

I can't think of anything I say that would make someone else scratch their head. Is there anything Americans say that you guys don't understand?

In Québec (french part of Canada) we say: Mc Do

You're right about the poutine! It's so funny when english speaking ppl say it :biggrin2: We say Kraft Dinner even in french.

We use popsicle even in french...

Yeah McDo ! And yes the proper way to pronounce poutine is poo-tin, not poo-teen !!! VERY important !!!

In the states, we call poutine 'Disco fries'

I think the only difference is that we don't use cheese curds, we just use shredded cheese.

Disco fries !? :blink: well if it's not curds it's not a poutine... a real poutine has curds, nothing else !!!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm poutine *drools*... I would eat one right now !

In the states, we call poutine 'Disco fries'

I think the only difference is that we don't use cheese curds, we just use shredded cheese.

Either way.

Cheese + Gravy + Fries = Love + Heartattack.

I ate a poutine today! It was great.

When you go to McDonald's..

Do you say: Ill have a big mac combo?

Are you able to switch your fries to poutines?

Ok, yeah strange questions, I know.. but here we say

"Big Mac, Trio"

And we're able to order a poutine instead of fries with our trio for like, 1.29$ more i think. xD:blush-anim-cl:

Disco fries !? :blink: well if it's not curds it's not a poutine... a real poutine has curds, nothing else !!!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm poutine *drools*... I would eat one right now !

now that we're on the subject of food...

i usually don't like nutella all that much

but the parisian crepes with nutella

ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHA, you can DEFINITELY not exchange fries for disco fries. That would be AMAZING if you could, though! *drool*

It's just 'big mac meal', not trio or combo or anything.