Manc Evening News In Nice Letter Shock!!

Gatagordinha

Cannot scan, but yesterday's Manchester Evening News printed the following on its letters page:

MIKA MAGIC

I attended the Mika concert at the Apollo and a sad, dismal November evening soon became one of the most fantastic sunny experiences I could have wished for.

It has to be one of the best concerts I have ever been to, up there with the likes of Madonna and Kylie. Thank you Mika.

Sue Wood

Is this the MEN's way of acknowledging the 20+ positive comments they have received taking issue with Gary Ryan's half-hearted online review last week???

Shame they couldn't be bothered to put any kind of review of his concerts in the print version of the newspaper :sneaky2: .But still.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannot scan, but yesterday's Manchester Evening News printed the following on its letters page:

MIKA MAGIC

I attended the Mika concert at the Apollo and a sad, dismal November evening soon became one of the most fantastic sunny experiences I could have wished for.

It has to be one of the best concerts I have ever been to, up there with the likes of Madonna and Kylie. Thank you Mika.

Sue Wood

Is this the MEN's way of acknowledging the 20+ positive comments they have received taking issue with Gary Ryan's half-hearted online review last week???

Shame they couldn't be bothered to put any kind of review of his concerts in the print version of the newspaper :sneaky2: .But still.

Well, I am not sure what to think....:cool:

They basically put him in the same basket as Kylie and Madonna...and I guess if you translate that in Manchester, it does not look very positive...

I mean the local press might have heroes like Oasis and that paper obviously does not consider Mika talented at all. That's also why they chose to print this as an opinion rather than their views... They must think now that they have pleased a part of their readers but at the same time, remained 'cool' for the rest.:thumbdown:

Well, I am not sure what to think....:cool:

They basically put him in the same basket as Kylie and Madonna...and I guess if you translate that in Manchester, it does not look very positive...

I mean the local press might have heroes like Oasis and that paper obviously does not consider Mika talented at all. That's also why they chose to print this as an opinion rather than their views... They must think now that they have pleased a part of their readers but at the same time, remained 'cool' for the rest.:thumbdown:

I do agree, actually. It's a very begrudging nod towards the fact that Mika put on two blindingly brilliant, universally acclaimed pop shows in Manchester last week. They can't bear the fact someone so UNCOOL rocked the cool city of Manchester. Heaven forbid!!! :naughty:

I love Manchester and I've loved its music scene down the years with a passion. But nothing annoys me more than Indie Snobbery.

And on the Kylie/Madonna comparison...hmmm yes that's unfortunate, especially Kylie, I really don't get her at all (but then as a Mika fan I shouldn't judge eh??? :naughty: ).

I do agree, actually. It's a very begrudging nod towards the fact that Mika put on two blindingly brilliant, universally acclaimed pop shows in Manchester last week. They can't bear the fact someone so UNCOOL rocked the cool city of Manchester. Heaven forbid!!! :naughty:

I love Manchester and I've loved its music scene down the years with a passion. But nothing annoys me more than Indie Snobbery.

And on the Kylie/Madonna comparison...hmmm yes that's unfortunate, especially Kylie, I really don't get her at all (but then as a Mika fan I shouldn't judge eh??? :naughty: ).

I like music from Manchester, too, like New Order, the Smiths...:punk:

The first 2albums of Oasis were also great but they are now just repeating themselves and have become so boring I can't even listen to their stuff from 'this century'.:cool:

As for being 'cool' - Mick Hucknall is not particularly cool and is also from Manchester, so I wonder if it is looking scruffy / ugly that counts over there:naughty:

The first 2albums of Oasis were also great but they are now just repeating themselves and have become so boring I can't even listen to their stuff from 'this century'.:cool:

As for being 'cool' - Mick Hucknall is not particularly cool and is also from Manchester, so I wonder if it is looking scruffy / ugly that counts over there:naughty:

New Order and The Smiths are my two favourite bands ever :punk:

And you are right about Oasis!

Mika is definitely not ugly or grungey enough for Manchester. In fact he's just not Northern enough!! Or even English enough! He did fall into a bit of a Manchester accent last week at the concert, but even that hasn't ingratiated him :naughty: Poor Mika :naughty: he tried!!

Oh, they are never going to say, sorry. This is the best we can hope for, for now, but when he hits Manchester again, he'll get a good write up, don't you worry about that. They won't make THAT mistake again, now they realise how much Mika is loved and respected.

Love today, from Marilyn

Ahem! That's my former fantasy husband you're referring to there! :sneaky2:

Until Mika replaced him this year. :mf_rosetinted:

New Order and The Smiths are my two favourite bands ever :punk:

And you are right about Oasis!

Mika is definitely not ugly or grungey enough for Manchester. In fact he's just not Northern enough!! Or even English enough! He did fall into a bit of a Manchester accent last week at the concert, but even that hasn't ingratiated him :naughty: Poor Mika :naughty: he tried!!

Oh that made me roar with laughter! :lmao: :lmao:

"If he could f**kin' see us now!"

Oh Mika, you have so my talents! :naughty:

Ahem! That's my former fantasy husband you're referring to there! :sneaky2:

Until Mika replaced him this year. :mf_rosetinted:

I am sorry, I seem to have a different taste in men:mf_rosetinted: , but I LOVE the music, especially early stuff like Holding Back the Years, a New Flame..etc.:thumb_yello:

:sneaky2:

I want to quote Gary Ryan (spit) from yesterday's Manc Evening News, in his review of Patrick Wolf at the Lowry Centre:

"In a world where the phrase idiosyncratic star is devalued by applying it to nostalgia cut-and-paste jobs such as Mika, Patrick Wolf is a rare commodity"

He just couldn't resist another dig :roftl:

Oh that made me roar with laughter! :lmao: :lmao:

"If he could f**kin' see us now!"

Oh Mika, you have so my talents! :naughty:

:roftl:

I think he said that on the Tuesday - I wasn't at that one but saw your video - but even on Monday, I swear he was shouting "COME ON MANCHISTOH !!!!" :roftl:

Deffo too much time with the Shameless lot, lol.