The Vitas Appreciation Thread.

cheeseygoodness

I've already listened to 'Mama' several times over, and it's always a good sign when I become addicted to an album like this =D

There actually isn't one track on the album that I can say I dislike. Some are better than others, but they're all good. The lyrics to some of the songs are really quite touching, like those for 'Kosichki' ('Pigtails'), which seems to be sung to a little sister, and the title track, 'Mama', is an utterly heartwrenching song that Vitas wrote for his mother after she died. Vitas' singing is lovely, though sometimes he sounds a bit off when he tries to sing high notes softly (he goes really frickin' sharp at one point during the first chorus of 'List osenniy' ['An Autumn Leaf'], which is just kind of ACK >.O; ) - however, I know how hard it actually is to do this well, so I don't think any less of him for it.

All in all, I give it 4/5! :thumb_yello:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already listened to 'Mama' several times over, and it's always a good sign when I become addicted to an album like this =D

There actually isn't one track on the album that I can say I dislike. Some are better than others, but they're all good. The lyrics to some of the songs are really quite touching, like those for 'Kosichki' ('Pigtails'), which seems to be sung to a little sister, and the title track, 'Mama', is an utterly heartwrenching song that Vitas wrote for his mother after she died. Vitas' singing is lovely, though sometimes he sounds a bit off when he tries to sing high notes softly (he goes really frickin' sharp at one point during the first chorus of 'List osenniy' ['An Autumn Leaf'], which is just kind of ACK >.O; ) - however, I know how hard it actually is to do this well, so I don't think any less of him for it.

All in all, I give it 4/5! :thumb_yello:

thanks for the review:thumb_yello: .. just wanted to know...what is the track listing of this cd? and what is the name of the second one you bought?

thanks for the review:thumb_yello: .. just wanted to know...what is the track listing of this cd? and what is the name of the second one you bought?

Track listing for 'Mama':

1. Звезда (Zvezda [The Star])

2. Мама

3. Лист осенний (List osenniy [An Autumn Leaf])

4. Через годы (Cherez gody [Through the Years])

5. Птицы улетели (Ptitsy uleteli [The Birds Have Flown Away])

6. Посвящение (Posvyashchenie [Dedication])

7. Звездная река (Zvyozdnaya reka [starry River])

8. Боже, как я люблю (Bozhe, kak ya lyublyu [My God, How I Love!])

9. Косички (Kosichki [Pigtails])

10. Даже звезды покажутся письмами (Бессонница) (Dazhe zvyozdy pokazhutsya pis'mami (bessonnitsa) [Even Stars Will Look Like Letters (Insomnia)]

11. Инопланетный друг (Inoplanetniy drug [Extraterrestrial Friend])

12. Лист осенний (remix) (List osenniy (remix) [An Autumn Leaf (Remix)])

13. Подожди немного (Podozhdi nemnogo [Wait For A While])

And the second one I bought is called 'Krikom Zhuravlinym: Vozvrashchenie Domoy 2' (Crane's Cry: Return Home 2) :thumb_yello:

Track listing for 'Mama':

1. Звезда (Zvezda [The Star])

2. Мама

3. Лист осенний (List osenniy [An Autumn Leaf])

4. Через годы (Cherez gody [Through the Years])

5. Птицы улетели (Ptitsy uleteli [The Birds Have Flown Away])

6. Посвящение (Posvyashchenie [Dedication])

7. Звездная река (Zvyozdnaya reka [starry River])

8. Боже, как я люблю (Bozhe, kak ya lyublyu [My God, How I Love!])

9. Косички (Kosichki [Pigtails])

10. Даже звезды покажутся письмами (Бессонница) (Dazhe zvyozdy pokazhutsya pis'mami (bessonnitsa) [Even Stars Will Look Like Letters (Insomnia)]

11. Инопланетный друг (Inoplanetniy drug [Extraterrestrial Friend])

12. Лист осенний (remix) (List osenniy (remix) [An Autumn Leaf (Remix)])

13. Подожди немного (Podozhdi nemnogo [Wait For A While])

And the second one I bought is called 'Krikom Zhuravlinym: Vozvrashchenie Domoy 2' (Crane's Cry: Return Home 2) :thumb_yello:

thanks!!:punk:

No probs! :thumb_yello:

I found an article on Vitas from a Chinese newspaper today, and thought it was quite interesting (my comments are in square brackets):

Vitas meant to be heard, not sung

by Xu Weiwei

It's Friday night and a famous pop star is singing on stage at Beijing's Great Hall of the People. The performance is so inviting that fans are waving their hands and shouting. They've heard his songs hundreds of times.

But nobody's singing along. No wonder: his voice is going far beyond the range of a normal person.

He is Vitas, who has entered the Guinness Book of World Records because he has a vocal range that spans five octaves.

"This is the only pop concert I've attended where fans don't sing along. It's just for the ears. Vitas takes our ears on a roller coaster trip for an entire two hours," said Fabien Blanc, 23, an international student in Beijing.

The performer's unusually high register has long caused some people to think that his recordings have been altered and that his lives performances are lip-synched.

"I'm convinced of his talent," said Blanc. He said Vitas makes it pretty obvious that he is not lip-synching by moving the microphone away and towards his mouth as he sings.

Vitas was born on February 19, 1981 in Latvia. He composed his first song at age 6 and had completed almost 1000 by the time he was 12. [:shocked: OMGWTFBBQ?! That's insane! *bows down to the almighty Vitas*] In 2000, at the age of 19, he became the youngest person to give a concert at the Kremlin, in Moscow. In fact he destroyed a bulb on a chandelier when he hit a high note, according to one report. [i remember reading somewhere this thing that said something like, "Vitas now sings without a microphone at the Kremlin for preservation of ancient artifacts" or something, it just kind of amused me XD]

But what attracts listeners to Vitas is the mystery surrounding him. Vitas seldom talks about his personal life. No one knows his real name or where he lives. [Err... isn't his real name Vitaliy Vladasovich Grachyov? :blink: ]

According to his agent, Sergey Pudovkin, he spends his days in a basement and comes up to compose after dusk. He is a composer, singer and fashion designer. He's designed several of his own performance outfits.

"He's put all his heart, passion and ideas into singing, which is the most effective way of expression," Pudovkin said, explaining Vitas' silence. "No one can truly understand his secretive inner world; he enjoys being alone."

Pudovkin dismissed the rumours about Vitas' talent. One suggested that a female singer was providing the voice for his live shows. The agent described Vitas as being "gifted" with a unique voice. "Honestly, he doesn't need a microphone to sing."

Vitas does spend about six hours a day working on his voice. He also gargles with a special medicine.

"At age seven, I wrote the song Opera 2 with high notes to symbolise my deep loneliness at heart. [sEVEN?! :shocked: *dies from the coolness*] It was during the dark night when I sang it," Vitas has remarked. "All my neighbours were awakened and came onto the street. They wondered if a fire had started.

"I composed my songs when the night had nearly ended and the dawn was coming. When I perform, I'm in an isolated, lonely and high-concentrating state, so I can get in touch with every listener and communicate my energy."

Vitas said he draws inspiration for his songs from his deceased mother, who was the most important person in his life. He almost had a breakdown after her death and went to Tibet to recover for a while. "If I could, I wish I could be by her side like in my childhood, but that will never happen." [ :tears: ]

His China tour continues on to Shanghai, Chongqing, Chengdu, Guangzhou, and Taipei.

He does as well as dolphins

Vitas is one of the few male singers to regularly use the whistle register - the highest register of the human voice. The vocal sound was named such because it resembles the intensity and pitch of a whistle. Chinese audiences became acquainted with it when Super Girl Zhang Liangying used it while singing Lovin' You in 2005. Chinese musicians refer to the whistle register as the "dolphin vocal sound" (hahun[?] yin), because it sounds like the high pitch of the sea animal. In Western pop music, the whistle register is mostly used by females, such as Mariah Carey. Her teacher Minnie Riperton (1947 - 1979), an American soul singer, was noted for her ability to hit the whistle register in her 1975 single Lovin' You.

The actual article is here :)

He is Vitas, who has entered the Guinness Book of World Records because he has a vocal range that spans five octaves. that's reallly coool!!:punk:

The performer's unusually high register has long caused some people to think that his recordings have been altered and that his lives performances are lip-synched. why don't people believe in real talent...???? when someone is tooo good.. they have to say it is lipsyncing.. goshh...

"I'm convinced of his talent," said Blanc. He said Vitas makes it pretty obvious that he is not lip-synching by moving the microphone away and towards his mouth as he sings. yay!! show them Vitas!!

Vitas was born on February 19, 1981 in Latvia. He composed his first song at age 6 and had completed almost 1000 by the time he was 12. [:shocked: OMGWTFBBQ?! That's insane! *bows down to the almighty Vitas*] WOW... I shall bow with you

In fact he destroyed a bulb on a chandelier when he hit a high note, according to one report. :shocked: :shocked: i didn't know it was actually possible to break glass with your voice!!

But what attracts listeners to Vitas is the mystery surrounding him. Vitas seldom talks about his personal life. No one knows his real name or where he lives. ...tadadammmm.. maybe he is a vampireeee..:cool:

Pudovkin dismissed the rumours about Vitas' talent. One suggested that a female singer was providing the voice for his live shows. and again.... they don't believe...

"All my neighbours were awakened and came onto the street. They wondered if a fire had started. hahahahahahaha..funny

"I composed my songs when the night had nearly ended and the dawn was coming. When I perform, I'm in an isolated, lonely and high-concentrating state, so I can get in touch with every listener and communicate my energy." okkkkayyy... he really IS a vampire..

thanks for posting.. great article..its fun to learn more stuff about my favorite vampire.. :naughty: ..okay..second favorite after edward!!

Ahaha, I was also thinking earlier that he must be a vampire or something! :roftl:

... Though if he really is, this does mean we'll have to keep him away from Mika in case he gets the urge to drink his blood :shocked:

So no Man!tATu for us :(

i swear that one of my first posts about vitas, i called him a vampire!

muhahahahha... and then.. and then.. MIKA.. would turn into a vampire and would live FOREVERRRR YOUNNNGG!!!! (okay.. okay...going to far..:roftl: )

Actually, I think Mika would make a pretty cool vampire... *imagines him in gothic vampire clothes, ooooooo!* :naughty:

the love between mika and i is so strong, it shows up in pictures...:wub2:

Your expression in that pic is indeed rather amusing XD

It kind of reminds me of this emoticon: 8D

*LOL*

i swear that one of my first posts about vitas, i called him a vampire!

Then it's settled, he IS a vampire, for sure! :naughty:

Actually, I think Mika would make a pretty cool vampire... *imagines him in gothic vampire clothes, ooooooo!* :naughty:

Your expression in that pic is indeed rather amusing XD

It kind of reminds me of this emoticon: 8D

*LOL*

Then it's settled, he IS a vampire, for sure! :naughty:

thanks lol! it was my only "posed" picture with him. i had lucy take it lol. the pictures of us that were "unexpected" are better lol.

i DEFINITLEY is a vampire!

dracula-1958.jpg

thanks lol! it was my only "posed" picture with him. i had lucy take it lol. the pictures of us that were "unexpected" are better lol.

i DEFINITLEY is a vampire!

dracula-1958.jpg

ROFL!! :roftl: :roftl:

I found a fabulous picture for photomanipping :naughty: :

VAMPIREVITAS.jpg

:roftl: :roftl: hahaha.. great pics!!

No, they were already there LOL!

Ah... I hope my Krikom CD comes through the post tomorrow! :wub2:

omg. i wonder why he posing so "intensly"....erm.

ah! you bought a vitas cd? i'd be afraid (and would hope) that instead of the CD, vitas would come in my mail. :shocked: / :wub2:

i haven't decided if i love him, or am afraid of him....