I dunno if you people are following @Destrokkers on Twitter, but it seems like the gig last night at Fillamore in Miami has been absolutely amazing. Pple were tweeting about it like crazy and were stunned by their live show (ha, we knew it all the time, right) and @Destrokkers were RT all the time. I wish I was there to witness it. *sigh*

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, thank you!!!!! :boing: Here it's midday now, so I am running around working and stuff. But I am looking forward to reading it in a few hours time when I can open a beer and enjoy every second of it! :biggrin2:

Edited by southeast

I've been away for a few days and feel like I have a few MGMT-related things to catch up with, and now I see Taylor's mega report is ready too....!! I need a couple of quiet hours later today, I think.

Not to mention the Mika stuff to catch up on too (lest I forget whose fanclub this actually is :teehee:).

Hey it is actually the MGikamtfanclub :teehee::roftl:

And Tayler you can start writing a book !

Oh my... what name is this??? :aah:

Actually I don't think Rachel you've missed anything important 'cause it's veen very quiet these few days, well, MGMT-wise :teehee:

And wow, Taylor, I think I needa print your document out to read... :naughty:

I've just finished reading it.:shocked: PHEW!! :insane:

The word 'epic' really does it no justice at all! Really enjoyed it, thanks. You write so well. I feel like I was there with you! That's always the sign of a talented report writer.

So many little bits I'd like to comment on, but foolishly I've forgotten to make a note of them as I went along and my memory's not great..oh well, I'll just have to read it again then!! :naughty: I'll get back to you.

Oh my... what name is this??? :aah:

Actually I don't think Rachel you've missed anything important 'cause it's veen very quiet these few days, well, MGMT-wise :teehee:

A original mess name :aah::roftl:

and yeah it is kinda quiet around the boys these days .

I've been reading the first part. It's such fun! I wish I was there with you.

Haha, James sounds real stoned.

I am sure he remembers you like some kind of beautiful angel that floated at that gig in the air around him and smiled and waved at him and understood what he thinks in a kind of telepathic way...

But hey, can you explain to me how can one play such beautiful music and at the same time be as stoned as that? :blink: I mean, I think I would just collapse on stage and sleep or vomit or something, it's really weird for me that he still can play the right notes... But I am not that experienced with weed, so I don't really know how it feels to be as stoned as that.

I really enjoy your report, will read and write something longer about it tomorrow! Thank you, Taylor! It's even better reading this that watching a lifestream gig, it feels so real.

Hey it is actually the MGikamtfanclub :teehee::roftl:

And Tayler you can start writing a book !

HA. Indeed it is.

I would love to. I'd love to write an MGMT book.

Haha, yeah. It's just a teeny bit shorter than the other one. And by shorter, I mean one page. It's 23 pages long on Microsoft word...not double spaced.

I've just finished reading it.:shocked: PHEW!! :insane:

The word 'epic' really does it no justice at all! Really enjoyed it, thanks. You write so well. I feel like I was there with you! That's always the sign of a talented report writer.

So many little bits I'd like to comment on, but foolishly I've forgotten to make a note of them as I went along and my memory's not great..oh well, I'll just have to read it again then!! :naughty: I'll get back to you.

Aww, thank you so much. I had a blast reliving it while writing it. :biggrin2:

I've been reading the first part. It's such fun! I wish I was there with you.

Haha, James sounds real stoned.

I am sure he remembers you like some kind of beautiful angel that floated at that gig in the air around him and smiled and waved at him and understood what he thinks in a kind of telepathic way...

But hey, can you explain to me how can one play such beautiful music and at the same time be as stoned as that? :blink: I mean, I think I would just collapse on stage and sleep or vomit or something, it's really weird for me that he still can play the right notes... But I am not that experienced with weed, so I don't really know how it feels to be as stoned as that.

I really enjoy your report, will read and write something longer about it tomorrow! Thank you, Taylor! It's even better reading this that watching a lifestream gig, it feels so real.

I wish you ALL could have been there. Wouldn't that be a dream? All of us at an MGMT gig...

That part I bolded pretty much made my day. I would only hope that's what he was thinking.:biggrin2:

Thanks for reading it. I'm glad you liked it. You all make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.:blush-anim-cl: huglove:

I just read the second part about the Jimmy Kimmel show. How cool is this! I would kill to get that close to them while they are playing. Just standing there and listening. *sigh* So happy for you for going in there and having this experience!

You know what? I have decided something about my gig in December (sold out, btw!). I don't know if there will be an M&G at all and who from the band will show up at that M&G. And since I am sure that I won't be able to say anything coherent to them except "Thank you", I thought about writing the whole band a letter and just giving it to whoever shows up (band, manager, whatever). At least this way I could tell them that I really like "Congratulations". What do you pple think about that? Is it a stupid thing to do?

I mean, I don't want to write something like "OMGOMGOMGOMG", I just want to tell them that I understand and appreciate their music and the hard work behind it. And that there are pple out there who go to gigs because of Congratulations and not inspite of it.

And I wanted to tell them they should release a CD with the prolonged versions of their songs. Or at least a live CD. It would be amazing.

I dunno, I always think a letter lasts at least a bit longer than a spoken "Thank you".

Oh, yes, I could sign with "puppets". :mf_rosetinted:

EDIT: If you guys want to add something to that letter, you're welcome. (socks incidents, ale throw incidents, James incidents :teehee:) or anything else you wanna tell them, just go on. At the end I'll print it out and sign it with "Your fans". Or with our names. Or whatever.

Edited by southeast

I am sorry, but I just LMAO. Did you read this one? It's an old one. But good:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/11/arts/music/11mgmt.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Hahaha: "So MGMT is not post-ironic yet. If “Congratulations” doesn’t take, the band mates have already invented a future rock hagiography for themselves, picking up where “Time to Pretend” left off.

Mr. VanWyngarden: “Once we get really depressed, we’ll do the hard drugs.”

Mr. Goldwasser: “We’ll make our heroin album. It will be all slow and depressing. It will be critically acclaimed but not sell very many copies, and then nobody will hear from us for maybe 10 years. And then we’ll make a comeback.”

Can someone of the native speakers tell me what: "cavorting with groupies and acting debaucherous" and "is a furniture and design buff" means?

Thanks.

I just read the second part about the Jimmy Kimmel show. How cool is this! I would kill to get that close to them while they are playing. Just standing there and listening. *sigh* So happy for you for going in there and having this experience!

You know what? I have decided something about my gig in December (sold out, btw!). I don't know if there will be an M&G at all and who from the band will show up at that M&G. And since I am sure that I won't be able to say anything coherent to them except "Thank you", I thought about writing the whole band a letter and just giving it to whoever shows up (band, manager, whatever). At least this way I could tell them that I really like "Congratulations". What do you pple think about that? Is it a stupid thing to do?

I mean, I don't want to write something like "OMGOMGOMGOMG", I just want to tell them that I understand and appreciate their music and the hard work behind it. And that there are pple out there who go to gigs because of Congratulations and not inspite of it.

And I wanted to tell them they should release a CD with the prolonged versions of their songs. Or at least a live CD. It would be amazing.

I dunno, I always think a letter lasts at least a bit longer than a spoken "Thank you".

EDIT: If you guys want to add something to that letter, you're welcome. (socks incidents, ale throw incidents, James incidents :teehee:) or anything else you wanna tell them, just go on. At the end I'll print it out and sign it with "Your fans". Or with our names. Or whatever.

I think it's a good idea. Of course I can't know this for sure but they seem like the kind of guys who would definitely read a letter like that, and appreciate it. Didn't they once say in an interview that they like handwritten letters? (wish I had time right now to find the link).And I feel sure that one letter like the one you're thinking of would mean more than a hundred OMG MARRY ME ANDREW AND GIVE ME BABIESSSSS type squeals. :wink2:

Hahaha: "So MGMT is not post-ironic yet. If “Congratulations” doesn’t take, the band mates have already invented a future rock hagiography for themselves, picking up where “Time to Pretend” left off.

Mr. Goldwasser: “We’ll make our heroin album. It will be all slow and depressing. It will be critically acclaimed but not sell very many copies, and then nobody will hear from us for maybe 10 years. And then we’ll make a comeback.”

Can someone of the native speakers tell me what: "cavorting with groupies and acting debaucherous" and "is a furniture and design buff" means?

Thanks.

:roftl: Yes it's a good little interview.

'cavorting with groupies' means sleeping with female fans :naughty:

'debauchery' is indulgence in sensual pleasures, often of an illicit nature :teehee:

and a 'buff' is another word for expert or knowledgeable person.

Hope that helps.

Actually. Clare and I want to do the same thing next time. It's a great idea. We wouldn't even put it in an envelope, to show we're not trying to hide something or put something nasty inside. Just a short sweet note to truly express our gratitude. It's a great idea.

I'll talk to Clare and see if she wants to include anything or if we want to wait until we see them next. Thank you so much for offering to let us include stuff; this is your personal experience after all. It's all about you.

Thanks.

I love that interview and how they refer to them as Mr. VanWyngarden and Mr. Goldwasser. So cute.

"Cavorting wth groupies and acting debaucherous" = having fun and playing around with groupies and acting overly crazy

"Furniture and desgin buff" = someone who's deeply interested in furniture and home design. "buff" is slang for a big fan of something. We could be called "MGMT buffs."

I'm pretty sure they'll appreciate the "puppets" ending:teehee: And yes, I think it's a good idea too. This reminds me that I used to write letters to a Hong Kong singer whom I adored (and still adore) when I was younger... really silly words, but as long as they're from your heart, why not? :biggrin2:

And thanks for your offer. Actually I really wanna let them know they don't only have Asian fans in Japan. :naughty: There's a girl in Hong Kong who's trying her best to sort things out in order to go to Europe to see them simply because they write and play wonderful music. :blush-anim-cl:

But I think a hand-written one is a lot more fabulous. I don't want any of my cold computer-typed words ruin your sweet note! I'll see. :wink2:

"Furniture and desgin buff" = someone who's deeply interested in furniture and home design. "buff" is slang for a big fan of something. We could be called "MGMT buffs."

:wub2::group_hug:

By the way I have a question: is the word "groupie" itself implying anything sexual or what? It seems a really negative word. If I say I am a MGMT groupie, am I degrading myself in any way?? :boxed::aah:

Edited by huikings

By the way I have a question: is the word "groupie" itself implying anything sexual or what? It seems a really negative word. If I say I am a MGMT groupie, am I degrading myself in any way?? :boxed::aah:

The word groupie does have a sexual connotation, yes, but only if you take the extreme definition. Wiki explains it well: A groupie is a person who seeks emotional and sexual intimacy with a musician or other celebrity. "Groupie" is derived from group in reference to a musical group, but the word is also used in a more general sense, especially in casual conversation.

So it can mean literally a fan who has casual sexual relations with a celebrity they admire, but more often it's just a casual word for an enthusiastic fan - a bit like fangirl, I suppose. It depends on the context. So no, you're not degrading yourself in any way by saying you're a MGMT groupie because it's pretty obvious you're not that kind of groupie :naughty:.

Thank you girls for the translation! TBH the posh appartment in Brooklin doesn't match the somewhat hippie image of Andrew in my head. But hey, we don't really know them well, do we?

Thanks also for your feedback about the letter. Now I feel better about writing it, I wasn't sure if it is not a stupid idea after all. I want it to be a fan letter but without being fangirly. That's already difficult. But also handwritten? :shocked: You should see my handwriting....terrible. Since I write almost only on my laptop I have forgotten to write properly with a pen on a sheet.

Or I'll write it in Bulgarian, so they'll have to translate it first. :naughty:

Heyhey, I guess y'all have already seen these??

STILL!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stacey_cambre/5134367692/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stacey_cambre/5134807166/

The vid is really putting a HUGE smile on my face right now, and I literally have laughed out when Velma pats the head of the dog:aah: (What's the dog's name? I ain't familiar with this animation)

I am sure when people who do not know about MGMT as much as we do (?! :teehee:) see these, they'd think they're just some weird crappy popstars :naughty:

STILL!

The vid is really putting a HUGE smile on my face right now, and I literally have laughed out when Velma pats the head of the dog:aah: (What's the dog's name? I ain't familiar with this animation)

I am sure when people who do not know about MGMT as much as we do (?! :teehee:) see these, they'd think they're just some weird crappy popstars :naughty:

Yeah, I LMAO. Hope pink tights aren't going to be the next "headband" thing. :shocked::teehee:

I am sorry, I just had to do this! :biggrin2:

Edited by southeast

STILL!

:lmfao:

This is probably the best thing I've seen since...since I saw MGMT live last month :aah:. I would love to have seen them singing song for Dan Treacy dressed like this, as that keyboard riff always reminds me of Scooby Doo music!

Andrew has great legs :mf_lustslow:. Karen said as much when we met him after the gig and I said yeah, whatever, how can you tell under those trousers..but turns out she obviously has a good eye for these things :aah:.

Edit: The dog is Scooby. As in Scooby Doo, Where Are You?

Edited by Gatagordinha

Omg the best thing of MGMT I've seen this month too :teehee:

Andrew's legs are so perfect:biggrin2: !Can you give them to me ?:roftl:

Nice to see James in a Scooby outfit and the video is crazy but I'm curious what were Matt and Will wearing .:mf_rosetinted:

And I think this is at the M&G where Andy is dressed as a visible ghost :naughty:148339_447985531855_669906855_5976132_3426367_n.jpg

Omg the best thing of MGMT I've seen this month too :teehee:

Andrew's legs are so perfect:biggrin2: !Can you give them to me ?:roftl:

Nice to see James in a Scooby outfit and the video is crazy but I'm curious what were Matt and Will wearing .:mf_rosetinted:

And I think this is at the M&G where Andy is dressed as a visible ghost :naughty:148339_447985531855_669906855_5976132_3426367_n.jpg

Will was dressed as Freddie and Matt was Shaggy :aah:.

Yes I want Andrew's legs, too. Perhaps we could have one each?:mf_rosetinted:

A visible ghost?? wtf? :aah: Did he say that?

Yeah, I LMAO. Hope pink tights aren't going to be the next "headband" thing. :shocked::teehee:

I am sorry, I just had to do this! :biggrin2:

Nice siggie as usual girl :mf_rosetinted:

HAHA Frankly I don't mind it really becomes the next headband! Pink this time, orange (my fav colour) next time, purple next next time... and if so I bet the venues will be filled with girls wearing all sorts of super colourful leggings :teehee:

Edit: The dog is Scooby. As in Scooby Doo, Where Are You?

Oh, silly me. Scooby in Scooby Doo! :doh:

Thanks!!

Damn it, he really can be a good drag queen :roftl:

And there definitely should be some HD pics featuring the whole band!!!!!!!! All 5!!!!!!! Don't you agree??

p.s. I actually dig Ben's look more :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by huikings