Children's Stories/Movies/Books/Etc.

purplegrape

I have been very entranced by children's stories lately such as Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Thw Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan (♥♥♥), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, James and the Giant Peach and other such stories.

I also enjoy disney movies but have found myself interested by more of the classics than newer.

I like some of the twists on old books too, Like the Wicked series that was derrived from Wizard of Oz and the television miniseries called Tin Man from the same.

I know there was once a thread like this but it seemed to be directed toward something I'm not going for.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone shares my passion/interest for children's entertainment. :biggrin2:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love children's stories !!

Specially Peter Pan.:wub2:. I've been wanting the original books from J.M. Barrie (The little white bird and Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens) for sooo long. They exist in my country, but they're in Spanish, and I don't like transalated books, it's not the same. So I'm saving money and I'll buy them from Amazon later this year.:biggrin2:.

The old Disney movies are the best ones !! I never liked the new ones.

The same happens to me with cartoons, I'm watching cartoons all day, but the old ones were better than the new ones.:sneaky2:.

And there are some books I have since I was like 4 that are awesome !!

They're not popular stories, but they're great, I love them.

Well . . . .

I am obsessed with Puff the Magic Dragon . . . .

does that count?! :teehee:

YES!!!!! :aah:

yes i have them all on dvd :naughty: i say there for the kids but i like put them on when there in bed. my fav is peter pan. :mf_lustslow: i will be wendy one day :roftl:

I love children's stories !!

Specially Peter Pan.:wub2:. I've been wanting the original books from J.M. Barrie (The little white bird and Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens) for sooo long. They exist in my country, but they're in Spanish, and I don't like transalated books, it's not the same. So I'm saving money and I'll buy them from Amazon later this year.:biggrin2:.

The old Disney movies are the best ones !! I never liked the new ones.

The same happens to me with cartoons, I'm watching cartoons all day, but the old ones were better than the new ones.:sneaky2:.

And there are some books I have since I was like 4 that are awesome !!

They're not popular stories, but they're great, I love them.

I just finished Barrie's Peter Pan last night! I want those same books too. I instantle fell in love with Peter Pan, both the character and the book itself. I find that a lot of these books and stories are very different once you read them as an adult. Like the story seems to change from when you read it as a child. I'm sure it's just because adult minds can interpret stuff differently that children who only seem to see the innocent side of things while we look deeper. :naughty:

I pretty much agree about the Disney movies. I always go see the new ones but they're nothing in comparison to the old Peter Pan, Beauty and the Beast, The Loin King, etc. they seem to have the childlike innocence that is necessary for children's movies. Now stories are a bit more complicated. :boxed:

I have all of my old baby books. I dunno if you'd recognize any: Where's Goldie, Thumbalina, The Velvetine Rabbit. :thumb_yello:

Has anyone ever read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Genius!!!!!! So incredably witty!

And Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, sadly, I was a little disappointed when I read that not too long ago.

THE t h i n g about Puff that makes me a :freak:

is . . . . .

EVER since I was like 5 years old - everytime I heard the song . ..

I would bust out CRYING (no matter WHERE I was - orwho was around)

and this has remained the sam throughout my entire LIFE!

My parents use to get me all of the time . .. we would be out to dinner with a lot of people and one of them woud start singing it . . . I would :crybaby:

they thought it was HILARIOUS!!!!! :sneaky2:

NOW guess what . . . .

MY kids are the ones that get me . . . ..

Picture us just walking through the mall OR better yet IN HOT TOPIC and they start singing Puff . . . I have to run out of the store cause my eyeliner is running black down my face . . . . :mf_rosetinted:

. . . . I don't know what it is . . . but, no matter WHAT or WHERE . . . sing puff in front of me and I am going to start crying.

Just last month my whole family and I were out to dinner at a Fine Steak House and at the HUGE (10 people table) next to us . . . an older man was playing a harmonica . . . it was a fabulous treat . . UNTIL he started playing PUFF and to make it WORSE - his WIFE started singing it . . . I as at the next table balling my eyes out while my whole family was DYING laughing at my expense!

*warning* DO NOT TRY this at a gig! :blink:

AWWWWW!!! Holly! That's so sweet :huglove:

I'll admit I giggled a bit through your story but not laughing at you, I just thought that was adorable!

I guess I can kinda understand why, it is a pretty sad song. but I LOVE it! Always have!

What would you do if Mika started playing that at his shows? It does sound like something he may use :naughty:

AWWWWW!!! Holly! That's so sweet :huglove:

I'll admit I giggled a bit through your story but not laughing at you, I just thought that was adorable!

I guess I can kinda understand why, it is a pretty sad song. but I LOVE it! Always have!

What would you do if Mika started playing that at his shows? It does sound like something he may use :naughty:

. . .hahahahaha it is okay Ambey . . I know it is FUNNY as hell. I can laugh at myself!!! :roftl: IT IS A TRAGICALLY S A D song . . . there is one part that I cannot even speak the words to and I will start crying!

. . . "his head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain. Puff no longer went to play along the cherry lane. Without his life long friend little puff could not be brave. So puff that mighty dragon he slipped into his cave."

AND - of course, Well Dragons live forever. But no so little boys. Painted wings and giant strings make way for other toys. Then one grey night it happened Jackie Paper came no more.

Okay - I can't go on! :crybaby::teehee:

OMG . . .. IF Mika E V E R sang ths song I would be a :freak: M E S S

. . .hahahahaha it is okay Ambey . . I know it is FUNNY as hell. I can laugh at myself!!! :roftl: IT IS A TRAGICALLY S A D song . . . there is one part that I cannot even speak the words to and I will start crying!

. . . "his head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain. Puff no longer went to play along the cherry lane. Without his life long friend little puff could not be brave. So puff that mighty dragon he slipped into his cave."

AND - of course, Well Dragons live forever. But no so little boys. Painted wings and giant strings make way for other toys. Then one grey night it happened Jackie Paper came no more.

Okay - I can't go on! :crybaby::teehee:

OMG . . .. IF Mika E V E R sang ths song I would be a :freak: M E S S

:tears: It is horribly depressing. I always sigh once I'm done listening and sit for a moment of respectful silence before moving on to the next song. It always paints such fantastic pictures in my head too. I wish I was artistic enough to get it all out of my head and onto paper. It's beautiful.

:tears: It is horribly depressing. I always sigh once I'm done listening and sit for a moment of respectful silence before moving on to the next song. It always paints such fantastic pictures in my head too. I wish I was artistic enough to get it all out of my head and onto paper. It's beautiful.

Oooohh me too! I cannot even draw a stick figure . . . . I wish I could - that might be theraputic :roftl: Maybe I need to see a shrink for my Puff issues!

:insane:

Roald Dahl was my favorite author growing up. Reading his books with my eldest sister was actually what got me into enjoying reading books. We read all of them together...lots of fun memories there.

I was extremely hardcore about seeing Disney movies and owning them when I was young in the same way that I am hardcore about seeing my fave bands live now. I can remember seeing Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin as soon as they opened in the theater and sporting my Belle sweatshirt, shoes, pants, etc...while also carrying my stuffed Abu doll. I wish I had my old Disney barbie dolls here at my apartment...I'd show you how hardcore I was, man...lolol...

I still own all of the old Disneys on VHS. <3

Edited by mandilambi

I just finished Barrie's Peter Pan last night! I want those same books too. I instantle fell in love with Peter Pan, both the character and the book itself. I find that a lot of these books and stories are very different once you read them as an adult. Like the story seems to change from when you read it as a child. I'm sure it's just because adult minds can interpret stuff differently that children who only seem to see the innocent side of things while we look deeper. :naughty:

I pretty much agree about the Disney movies. I always go see the new ones but they're nothing in comparison to the old Peter Pan, Beauty and the Beast, The Loin King, etc. they seem to have the childlike innocence that is necessary for children's movies. Now stories are a bit more complicated. :boxed:

I have all of my old baby books. I dunno if you'd recognize any: Where's Goldie, Thumbalina, The Velvetine Rabbit. :thumb_yello:

Has anyone ever read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Genius!!!!!! So incredably witty!

And Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, sadly, I was a little disappointed when I read that not too long ago.

I agree with everything you said.:biggrin2:.

I don't recognize any of them.:aah:.

There's a huge difference between countries when it comes to children's stories.

For example, I didn't know Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a book until I saw the movie and found out later.

The same happened to the rest of the people from my country *some of them don't even know it's not just a movie*. I don't know about the other countries of South America, but I think it's the same.

A couple of weeks ago I was out with some friends and we started singing songs we used to sing when were like 5 years old.:aah:.

THE t h i n g about Puff that makes me a :freak:

is . . . . .

EVER since I was like 5 years old - everytime I heard the song . ..

I would bust out CRYING (no matter WHERE I was - orwho was around)

and this has remained the sam throughout my entire LIFE!

My parents use to get me all of the time . .. we would be out to dinner with a lot of people and one of them woud start singing it . . . I would :crybaby:

they thought it was HILARIOUS!!!!!

NOW guess what . . . .

MY kids are the ones that get me . . . ..

Picture us just walking through the mall OR better yet IN HOT TOPIC and they start singing Puff . . . I have to run out of the store cause my eyeliner is running black down my face . . . .

. . . . I don't know what it is . . . but, no matter WHAT or WHERE . . . sing puff in front of me and I am going to start crying.

Just last month my whole family and I were out to dinner at a Fine Steak House and at the HUGE (10 people table) next to us . . . an older man was playing a harmonica . . . it was a fabulous treat . . UNTIL he started playing PUFF and to make it WORSE - his WIFE started singing it . . . I as at the next table balling my eyes out while my whole family was DYING laughing at my expense!

*warning* DO NOT TRY this at a gig! :blink:

Aww....:wub2:.

I didn't know that song.

Now I'll have to look for it.:naughty:.

I have a friend that used to start crying if she heard a children's song really popular in my country. But that song is not sad. That's the funny thing.:naughty:.

Aww....:wub2:.

I didn't know that song.

Now I'll have to look for it.:naughty:.

I have a friend that used to start crying if she heard a children's song really popular in my country. But that song is not sad. That's the funny thing.:naughty:.

. . . When you find it - DON'T CRY!!!! :roftl:

Oooohh me too! I cannot even draw a stick figure . . . . I wish I could - that might be theraputic :roftl: Maybe I need to see a shrink for my Puff issues!

:insane:

:roftl: I think it's perfectly normal. You're just sensitive.

Roald Dahl was my favorite author growing up. Reading his books with my eldest sister was actually what got me into enjoying reading books. We read all of them together...lots of fun memories there.

I was extremely hardcore about seeing Disney movies and owning them when I was young in the same way that I am hardcore about seeing my fave bands live now. I can remember seeing Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin as soon as they opened in the theater and sporting my Belle sweatshirt, shoes, pants, etc...while also carrying my stuffed Abu doll. I wish I had my old Disney barbie dolls here at my apartment...I'd show you how hardcore I was, man...lolol...

I still own all of the old Disneys on VHS. <3

I've very recently started reading children's books and when I found that Dahl had written the books that all of my favourite movies were made out of I nearly flipped! Charlie, James and the Giant Peach, The Witches, Matilda :shocked:

I just about never knew what I was watching. I was an extremely ignorant child. All I knew was that about one a month after my dad got home from work there was a new movie for us to watch during dinner. I have all but a few Disney movies on VHS. I'm missing, Alice, Sleeping Beauty and Peter Pan, but I think I have the rest. Old ones anyway.

I agree with everything you said.:biggrin2:.

I don't recognize any of them.:aah:.

There's a huge difference between countries when it comes to children's stories.

For example, I didn't know Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a book until I saw the movie and found out later.

The same happened to the rest of the people from my country *some of them don't even know it's not just a movie*. I don't know about the other countries of South America, but I think it's the same.

A couple of weeks ago I was out with some friends and we started singing songs we used to sing when were like 5 years old.:aah:.

I had no idea most of these movies were books. Once I find out a movieI like is a book I go right out and get it of course. I hardly read as a kid, hated books. I didn't start reading until 5th grade when I had to read Harry Potter. that's when I fell in live. Now I'm just catching up.

I always made my dad read Dr. Suess to be before bedtime. I adore Dr. Suess, I want to get all of his books. I have a good few already.

:roftl: I think it's perfectly normal. You're just sensitive.

I've very recently started reading children's books and when I found that Dahl had written the books that all of my favourite movies were made out of I nearly flipped! Charlie, James and the Giant Peach, The Witches, Matilda :shocked:

I just about never knew what I was watching. I was an extremely ignorant child. All I knew was that about one a month after my dad got home from work there was a new movie for us to watch during dinner. I have all but a few Disney movies on VHS. I'm missing, Alice, Sleeping Beauty and Peter Pan, but I think I have the rest. Old ones anyway.

I had no idea most of these movies were books. Once I find out a movieI like is a book I go right out and get it of course. I hardly read as a kid, hated books. I didn't start reading until 5th grade when I had to read Harry Potter. that's when I fell in live. Now I'm just catching up.

I always made my dad read Dr. Suess to be before bedtime. I adore Dr. Suess, I want to get all of his books. I have a good few already.

Yep, Dahl has written a ton of great books. Matilda has always been my favorite. I prefer the books to the movies, obviously, but some of the movies are depicted really well. Honestly, the only one I dislike is the newer version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Can't stand it.

I think I have all of the VHS of Disney...most of them were left behind at my old house, so I really should get them back. lol I can even remember seeing 101 Dalmations in the movie theater.

Yep, Dahl has written a ton of great books. Matilda has always been my favorite. I prefer the books to the movies, obviously, but some of the movies are depicted really well. Honestly, the only one I dislike is the newer version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Can't stand it.

I think I have all of the VHS of Disney...most of them were left behind at my old house, so I really should get them back. lol I can even remember seeing 101 Dalmations in the movie theater.

LOOOVE Roald Dahl! BFG is probably my favorite book of all time. Love them all though. I agree about the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory though, even though I am a Johnny Depp fan, I just didn't like it! Gene Wilder all the way!

I have this huge Roald Dahl Treasury book and it has a lot of poems and things that he wrote and it is one of my most prized possessions!

Aw, BFG is a classic. That's always been my eldest sister's favorite. I couldn't stand Johnny Depp as Wonka. I felt like he was doing an impersonation of Michael Jackson and it just didn't come across as Dahl had intended that character to be. But yeah...I agree, Wilder all the way. He did it perfectly IMO. :)

Did you know that Wes Anderson is making a movie of The Fantastic Mr. Fox? I saw the trailer and wasn't too impressed... who knows! It may be good afterall.

Your book sounds neat. :)

LOOOVE Roald Dahl! BFG is probably my favorite book of all time. Love them all though. I agree about the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory though, even though I am a Johnny Depp fan, I just didn't like it! Gene Wilder all the way!

I have this huge Roald Dahl Treasury book and it has a lot of poems and things that he wrote and it is one of my most prized possessions!

Aw, BFG is a classic. That's always been my eldest sister's favorite. I couldn't stand Johnny Depp as Wonka. I felt like he was doing an impersonation of Michael Jackson and it just didn't come across as Dahl had intended that character to be. But yeah...I agree, Wilder all the way. He did it perfectly IMO. :)

Did you know that Wes Anderson is making a movie of The Fantastic Mr. Fox? I saw the trailer and wasn't too impressed... who knows! It may be good afterall.

Your book sounds neat. :)

It seems I'm the only person who like both the book and movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I'm sure it helps that I follow Johnny Depp and Tim Burton religiously :naughty: I do very much prefer Gene Wilder and the entire movie better than the new one because it has more morals and is much more witty than the new one. But I like that Tim Burton followed the book much more than the original had done.

Man, I haven't seen Willy Wonka in forever. It's another one of the few movies I love that I don't have for some reason :blink:

You know, when I was a kid the only movie I ever wanted to watch was The Wizard of Oz. I was completely fascinated by that movie. I still love it. I'm glad I waited until now to read the book. It's a 15 book series and I've only read the first one :roftl: I'm gonnabe reading forever.

Roald Dahl was my favorite author growing up.

Yes! But unlike most people who love Charlie/Chocolate Factory - my favourite was James and the Giant Peach. :wub2:

I also love:

• Robert Munsch
  • Shel Silverstien's poetry book - Where The Sidewalk Ends
  • The Little Golden Books (brings back memories)
  • Judy Blume Books (maybe not so child-like)
  • Beverly Cleary
  • Annie (Little Orphan Annie) the musical

I heard the song. I didn't cry, but it's really sad.:no:.

ha ha ha! I think it is the cartoon of it that forever burned images of Puff all sad and crying that scarred me for life. Everytime I 'hear' it . . . I can 'see' it in my mind . . . MAYBE that has something to do with it - - or at least I will keep telling myself that anyways! :roftl:

Yes! But unlike most people who love Charlie/Chocolate Factory - my favourite was James and the Giant Peach. :wub2:

I also love:

• Robert Munsch
  • Shel Silverstien's poetry book - Where The Sidewalk Ends
  • The Little Golden Books (brings back memories)
  • Judy Blume Books (maybe not so child-like)
  • Beverly Cleary
  • Annie (Little Orphan Annie) the musical

I'm going to be reading James and the Giant Peach VERY soon. I have it sitting in my bedroom now.

I have one of the Shel Silverstein books too and I want all of the others. I especially remember The Giving Tree :wub2:

I have a ton of the little Golden Books. Some really old ones too. My mom and I were cleaning out our bookshelf once and I got rid of almost all of the toddler books except those. Too many great memories. :biggrin2: