BBC Radio 1 Chartblog Review

Fresh

Mika - 'We Are Golden' 3_stars.gif

Fraser McAlpine | 11:51 UK time, Wednesday, 2 September 2009

mika_600.jpg

It would be so tempting to let this one slide. It's not like it's awful. You'd have to be a killjoy of epic proportions to take a bright and beautiful comedy butterfly of a song like this and stamp on it with heavy boots. You'd have to basically find the idea of having fun, of dancing about your bedroom in your pants like Mika does in the video, to be beneath you, because your mind is on higher things.

You'd have to want to pull the plug on every social event in which music is played so that people could dance about and raise a healthy sweat. You'd have to be a huffbag, a bitter lemon, a lollipop-stealer, a grinch, a sourpuss, a balloon-popper, a bunting-burner, a COWELL, in other words.

On the other hand...it is all a bit much, isn't it?

(Here's the video. Mika is 26 years old.)

It's a bit much that this can be boiled down into a one-sentence mission statement like Hollywood execs do with films. So where Alien was famously reduced down to "Jaws - in space", this is "Meat Loaf presents 'Walking On Broken Glass' by Annie Lennox".

It's a bit much that this song demands so much of the listener. You have to let yourself get swept up in the glorious brilliance, or it doesn't work at all, then you have to let preposterous thing after preposterous thing go without raising so much as a murmur of complaint.

These include: A grown man singing about a teenage circus, the swoops into falsetto, being hammered over the head by the West End musical theatre production, the way he says the word "golden" as if he is Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins, the defensive lyrics - pre-empting criticism by claiming to live for "glitter, not you", the total lack of that thing people call The Cool, and the worrying realisation that it might not be as important as everyone thought...there's a lot to forgive. And you HAVE to do it, or you're a grouch.

It does help that the middle eight, the only bit of the song which doesn't churn the same soft-rock riff around and around, is rather grand. But every enjoyable moment comes at a price. The yelling in the back of your head is not another stage-school showoff giving it the junior banshee, it's your musical conscience being repeatedly kicked in the stomach.

But apart from that, CHOON!

Download: Out now

CD Released: September 7th

http://www.mikasounds.com

BBC Music page

(Fraser McAlpine)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chartblog/2009/09/mika_we_are_golden.shtml

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, maybe if the people that wrote this article didn't get so off topic and confusing about things that don't even pertain to the matter I would actually taken what they said to heart.

But I have no clue what they're going on about :lmao:

3 stars out of 5 is all I understand.

Wow, maybe if the people that wrote this article didn't get so off topic and confusing about things that don't even pertain to the matter I would actually taken what they said to heart.

But I have no clue what they're going on about :lmao:

3 stars out of 5 is all I understand.

it was a little lost in translation huh, i think they were trying to make themselves look extremely smart :teehee:

Oooh, bit harsh isn't it. :blink: And they make it sound like a bad thing that the song demands all those things of you:mf_rosetinted:

the song only demands things if you let it :mf_rosetinted:

(Here's the video. Mika is 26 years old.)

It's a bit much that this can be boiled down into a one-sentence mission statement like Hollywood execs do with films. So where Alien was famously reduced down to "Jaws - in space", this is "Meat Loaf presents 'Walking On Broken Glass' by Annie Lennox".

It's a bit much that this song demands so much of the listener. You have to let yourself get swept up in the glorious brilliance, or it doesn't work at all, then you have to let preposterous thing after preposterous thing go without raising so much as a murmur of complaint.

These include: A grown man singing about a teenage circus, the swoops into falsetto, being hammered over the head by the West End musical theatre production, the way he says the word "golden" as if he is Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins, the defensive lyrics - pre-empting criticism by claiming to live for "glitter, not you", the total lack of that thing people call The Cool, and the worrying realisation that it might not be as important as everyone thought...there's a lot to forgive. And you HAVE to do it, or you're a grouch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chartblog/2009/09/mika_we_are_golden.shtml

and why shouldnt you let yourelf get swept up in the glorious brilliance??

t4p

the total lack of that thing people call The Cool, and the worrying realisation that it might not be as important as everyone thought...there's a lot to forgive. And you HAVE to do it, or you're a grouch.

Ooohh nooooez he doezn't have the coooooolz!! *head desk*

Some people just don't get what Mika's about, which is fair enough, but don't let them anywhere near his music with a mission to review it!

Oooh, bit harsh isn't it. :blink: And they make it sound like a bad thing that the song demands all those things of you:mf_rosetinted:

That’s funny, because I’ll gladly be up for it!:biggrin2:

Ooohh nooooez he doezn't have the coooooolz!! *head desk*

Some people just don't get what Mika's about, which is fair enough, but don't let them anywhere near his music with a mission to review it!

Have I told you lately that I love you?:naughty:

Great comment!:thumb_yello:

I think it's a great review!

In its own peculiar way it actually is!:naughty:

The writer had to make sure we didn’t think he would just take it to his heart without making clever comments and in that way show the more intellectual part of his potential readers that:

Yeah, it’s good but in these conditions!

:aah: