Mini MFCer on the way!!!!!

sunshine931

Oh I see!! Jeez the mind has a mind of it's own, hasn't it.

Thing is...when on my monthly, sometimes (not all the time) I can get really bad pains...because period pains are contractions aren't they...I usually get them in my lower back rather than my lower abdomen...but they've been so painful I've been sick multiple times :aah: But because of these intense pains, does that mean this is good preparation for pregnancy or will I go through a horrific pregnancy? :aah:

Yeah period pains are small contractions... but I don't know if there's a link between those and the kind of labor you're gonna have...

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I see!! Jeez the mind has a mind of it's own, hasn't it.

Thing is...when on my monthly, sometimes (not all the time) I can get really bad pains...because period pains are contractions aren't they...I usually get them in my lower back rather than my lower abdomen...but they've been so painful I've been sick multiple times :aah: But because of these intense pains, does that mean this is good preparation for pregnancy or will I go through a horrific pregnancy? :aah:

I don't really think your menstral cramps would be a factor in knowing that at all! :roftl: I have REALLY bad cramps too . . . just multipy that pain by 10,000 and that is what a REAL contraction feels like! :naughty:

Yeah . . .they give you a preview of things to come! Just multiply what you felt last night times 1,000 on the level of intensity. Labor is all mental, r e a l l y. You KNOW it is going to be painful - you just have to remember to breathe right <KEY> and 'get out of your head' go somewhere else during the really big ones. Do you have any idea if you are going to get an epidural or doing it natural? I did it natural all 3 times - so I have no idea the joys of an epidural. With my second child I did NOT e v e n have any pain meds WHAT SO EVER! It dosen't get an more 'natural' then that! :teehee:

I'll see if I can handle it but I'll most probably end up begging for an epidural loll!! Cool thing we have at my hospital, is that the epidural is linked to a machine that allows you to control the amount of medication you get. They start of with a very light dose and you can increase it with a little pump thing if you feel the need to. Of course, the machine is programmed so you can't give yourself too much medication! But what's great about it is you can reduce the pain to a level you can handle, without having your lower body go completly numb. Because the epidural does tend to slow down labor and makes it harder to push properly.

Yeah period pains are small contractions... but I don't know if there's a link between those and the kind of labor you're gonna have...

SMALL? If you feel the pains I have sometimes they are definitely not small :roftl: But I know they're nothing compared to the real thing...

When my mum had her first child she had everything: Gas, drugs and air...I think :roftl::roftl: She was drugged up to her eyeballs, my dad had to keep waking her up to tell her she was having contractions :lmfao: Needless to say her first birth was an absolute dawdle and she didn't see the fuss everyone made about it. But then she had her second without the drugs and was like "Ohhhhhhhhhh now I understand" :roftl::roftl::roftl:

I don't really think your menstral cramps would be a factor in knowing that at all! :roftl: I have REALLY bad cramps too . . . just multipy that pain by 10,000 and that is what a REAL contraction feels like! :naughty:

Well let's put it this way. You have bad cramps too right? Perhaps to the point where you can't move? Feel/be sick? I get many other symptoms as well, but let's leave it at those. Obviously the cramps you experience during labour are a lot more intense, but because you've experienced some sort of painful cramp before, do you think that you would be able to deal with the birth a lot more easier than say someone who's never experienced such a thing?

I'll see if I can handle it but I'll most probably end up begging for an epidural loll!! Cool thing we have at my hospital, is that the epidural is linked to a machine that allows you to control the amount of medication you get. They start of with a very light dose and you can increase it with a little pump thing if you feel the need to. Of course, the machine is programmed so you can't give yourself too much medication! But what's great about it is you can reduce the pain to a level you can handle, without having your lower body go completly numb. Because the epidural does tend to slow down labor and makes it harder to push properly.

Good thing you did your homework regarding epidurals. It definitely has it's pros and cons. The cons were just too big a risk for me, and that is why I did it natural. Just remember God does not give you more then you are able to handle - and I DO BELEIVE that also goes for labor! :biggrin2: YOU are stronger then you EVER thought possible . . . TRY to not get an epidural because as you said - it will makes the delivery SO much easier!

Well let's put it this way. You have bad cramps too right? Perhaps to the point where you can't move? Feel/be sick? I get many other symptoms as well, but let's leave it at those. Obviously the cramps you experience during labour are a lot more intense, but because you've experienced some sort of painful cramp before, do you think that you would be able to deal with the birth a lot more easier than say someone who's never experienced such a thing?

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

I have the same - totally useless when I have a bad menstral time the headaches - backaches - PAIN . . I too get sick when it is THAT bad. And YES that will SO help you. Do you always take pills when you experience that!? If SO, try NOT - and just push through the pain . . . that will be the best help of all! :aah:

Good thing you did your homework regarding epidurals. It definitely has it's pros and cons. The cons were just too big a risk for me, and that is why I did it natural. Just remember God does not give you more then you are able to handle - and I DO BELEIVE that also goes for labor! :biggrin2: YOU are stronger then you EVER thought possible . . . TRY to not get an epidural because as you said - it will makes the delivery SO much easier!

Epidurals can be dangerous as well...aren't they injected into your back? I heard that if they inject in the wrong place it can paralyse you :huh:

One thing that scares me about birth is splitting :roftl::roftl: Ohhhhhhhhhh how horrible. (Sorry Véro :roftl:)

SMALL? If you feel the pains I have sometimes they are definitely not small :roftl: But I know they're nothing compared to the real thing...

When my mum had her first child she had everything: Gas, drugs and air...I think :roftl::roftl: She was drugged up to her eyeballs, my dad had to keep waking her up to tell her she was having contractions :lmfao: Needless to say her first birth was an absolute dawdle and she didn't see the fuss everyone made about it. But then she had her second without the drugs and was like "Ohhhhhhhhhh now I understand" :roftl::roftl::roftl:

:roftl::roftl:

yeah I know all about the pros and cons... but I will not hesitate to ask for it if I need it and I think no one should be ashamed of doing so.

I think that machine thing is great though, gives you the best of both worlds it seems

Epidurals can be dangerous as well...aren't they injected into your back? I heard that if they inject in the wrong place it can paralyse you :huh:

One thing that scares me about birth is splitting :roftl::roftl: Ohhhhhhhhhh how horrible. (Sorry Véro :roftl:)

Epidurals are indeed injected into your back but it's now a very safe and common procedure...

About splitting... lol... apparently when it does happen you don't feel it right away or it doesn't hurt cause the skin is so stretched... it's when it's healing that you feel the discomfort

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

I have the same - totally useless when I have a bad menstral time the headaches - backaches - PAIN . . I too get sick when it is THAT bad. And YES that will SO help you. Do you always take pills when you experience that!? If SO, try NOT - and just push through the pain . . . that will be the best help of all! :aah:

Luckily I have never passed out because of a period, but I've also been dizzy, had severe temperature changes (so hot I start to sweat, get so cold that I start shivering and can't warm myself up with a blanket), and my thighs get super duper heavy...I literally feel like I can't walk and it's a huge effort.

If I can lay down when I'm having bad pains then I will...but I will often lay down on my back completely straight. The pains are bad for a couple of seconds...possibly minutes...but they subside. Exercise never helps; the pain goes when exercising but when you stop I find the pains come back worse :blink: Walking can help a little bit...so long as my thighs don't feel heavy :roftl:

Or sometimes if I'm sitting in a chair I rock backwards and forwards to help the pain. It works for me! :roftl:

When pains get this bad, of course I take tablets. But if I'm experiencing a miniscule pain I just let it go on it's own accord.

Epidurals are indeed injected into your back but it's now a very safe and common procedure...

About splitting... lol... apparently when it does happen you don't feel it right away or it doesn't hurt cause the skin is so stretched... it's when it's healing that you feel the discomfort

Ohhhhh...that's alright then lol...I just hated the thought of going into labour and screaming...AAARRRRGGGHHH....and then...*rip"...OMFGGGGGGGG

:roftl::roftl: but if the nurses know you're gonna split they split it for you so it's a lot cleaner, neater and easier to patch up...

They are very dangerous - I was trying not to say anything because that is a personal decision that every woman has to make for herself. It is an injection into your spine, and besides the immediate risks there are long term effects from it. As far as severe headaches (sometimes for the rest of your life) that is the case of my sister-in-law, niece and cousin.

splitting Caz!!! :roftl: THAT all depends on your DOCTOR! A good doctor will know when that is going to happen and do an episiotomy to prevent you from splitting. I have had it every way. Epioisotomy with the first - second the doctor let me split and the third required NOTHING! Not a single stitch! THAT was heaven!

Ohhhhh...that's alright then lol...I just hated the thought of going into labour and screaming...AAARRRRGGGHHH....and then...*rip"...OMFGGGGGGGG

:roftl::roftl: but if the nurses know you're gonna split they split it for you so it's a lot cleaner, neater and easier to patch up...

:roftl::roftl: the way you described that I totally pictured the situation with the *rip* sound like somebody ripped their pants :roftl:

They are very dangerous - I was trying not to say anything because that is a personal decision that every woman has to make for herself. It is an injection into your spine, and besides the immediate risks there are long term effects from it. As far as severe headaches (sometimes for the rest of your life) that is the case of my sister-in-law, niece and cousin.

splitting Caz!!! :roftl: THAT all depends on your DOCTOR! A good doctor will know when that is going to happen and do an episiotomy to prevent you from splitting. I have had it every way. Epioisotomy with the first - second the doctor let me split and the third required NOTHING! Not a single stitch! THAT was heaven!

It has been proven that now epidurals are very safe, all the doctors say it. I am not afraid of it, and I know tons of people who had it and had no long term effects whatsoever...

I think it's a personal decision and you just have to be aware of the pros and cons

It has been proven that now epidurals are very safe, all the doctors say it. I am not afraid of it, and I know tons of people who had it and had no long term effects whatsoever...

I think it's a personal decision and you just have to be aware of the pros and cons

I completely agree with you! :thumb_yello:

OMG!!! My mum always suffers from headaches. I wonder if she had an epidural...

As for the splitting...so...when you get check ups throughout your pregnancy, is that when they know the possibility of you splitting? Or do they know during birth? An epioisotomy can't be performed during labour, can it? :roftl: So what IS an apioisotomy? What happens?

:roftl::roftl: the way you described that I totally pictured the situation with the *rip* sound like somebody ripped their pants :roftl:

LOL!!! :roftl::roftl:

OMG!!! My mum always suffers from headaches. I wonder if she had an epidural...

As for the splitting...so...when you get check ups throughout your pregnancy, is that when they know the possibility of you splitting? Or do they know during birth? An epioisotomy can't be performed during labour, can it? :roftl: So what IS an apioisotomy? What happens?

LOL!!! :roftl::roftl:

An episiotomy is done DURING delivery. It is when your skin has reached it's stretching limit and is about to rip. The doctor can tell this is about to happen an makes an insicion with a scalpal. IT IS COMPELETLY PAINLESS! You do not feel anything at the time - in fact you do not even have a CLUE that it is occurring. Same as if you happen to spit, you do not feel a thing! So no worries!!!!! And no - NO ONE can determine if this is going to happen to you until the actual moment!

An episiotomy is done DURING delivery. It is when your skin has reached it's stretching limit and is about to rip. The doctor can tell this is about to happen an makes an insicion with a scalpal. IT IS COMPELETLY PAINLESS! You do not feel anything at the time - in fact you do not even have a CLUE that it is occurring. Same as if you happen to spit, you do not feel a thing! So no worries!!!!! And no - NO ONE can determine if this is going to happen to you until the actual moment!

Oh so that's when the doctor snips you. I did say that in another post of mine lol :roftl: So long as I can't feel anything or know that they're gonna do it...s'all good with me :thumb_yello::aah:

Oh so that's when the doctor snips you. I did say that in another post of mine lol :roftl: So long as I can't feel anything or know that they're gonna do it...s'all good with me :thumb_yello::aah:

Totally! Can you imagine if they talked to you and told you everything they were doing during your delivery! Most people would prolly pass out! :roftl:

Totally! Can you imagine if they talked to you and told you everything they were doing during your delivery! Most people would prolly pass out! :roftl:

lol!! a lot of people told me that you're in your own world though, in your own bubble during delivery, so you're not reall aware of what happens around you... you have to be focused on your goal : your precious little baby!!

I completely agree:thumb_yello: I'm sure you'll be fine, but good luck anyway :original: and I also think that self-dosing is great:thumb_yello:

Actually, episiotomy is done with scissors, and it looks quite scary, but yes both doctors and mothers say it doesn't hurt because the tissue is so stretched by that point so you don't feel anything. Also epidural analgesia is not injection given into spine, but into epidural space which is around.

I also sometimes have bad cramps, can't-even-think kind:boxed: and every time it happens I think if I'll ever going to have a baby, natural isn't an option.:naughty: At the end, everyone knows their body and ability to take pain the best, it's really very individual.

Look on mother's faces when they are given their child for the first time is something priceless and they all say all pain and everything simple vanishes at that moment... And I love something I heard from women after she got her first child, she said "this is the love, everything else is just an emotional gymnastic" :naughty: Surely, in that emotional sense, it can't be compared to anything else.

Please tell me the fall was an accident!

Yes, yes, I was overdoing it with last minute shopping for the boys before the baby came :)

Just think/visualize WIDE OPEN CIRCLES when the contractions come, it helps to make things move faster. :wink2:

Another mind trick is about the labour having a purpose and each contraction is one less - you'll never have that one again - and one nearer to getting that baby into your arms. I found that advice very helpful.

I didn't ever have period pains, but I have heard that a pregnancy and delivery sorts a lot of that out for you ...

I didn't ever have period pains, but I have heard that a pregnancy and delivery sorts a lot of that out for you ...

what do you mean? once you've given birth the period pains aren't as painful anymore? :blink: