Homework help...Who wouldve thought? (Stuck in the middle)

Nique

Hey guys, :bye:

We're doing transactional writing at the moment for english, and the task we have at the moment is to go home and find and issue we feel strongly about.

The teacher said that last year some people used music, and the issues and stuff that they expressed blah blah blah and some turned out really good.

So obviously the second she says "you can use music" my mind goes through the catalouge of Mika's songs for one that i felt i could relate to, or had something that i could form an opinion on and i came up with Stuck in the middle. (Middle child? thats what i gather from it anyways...:naughty:)

So, heres were you beautiful people come in:

I was wondering if a few people could give me a few quotes on your interpertation of the song,(So i could put them in the essay...i would only use your screen names-but please specify if you dont want me to quote you) or if anyone had a link to some place where Mika decodes the song? From what i find, he's pretty secretive about this one.

Thanks sooooo much everyone! :flowers2:

EDIT: have just been informed that this isnt an easy issue to do as it is based solely on opinion...so ive changed the song to Lollipop (how young people are chickening (:teehee:) too young these days). Opinions on the songs message?

but feel free to give opions on SITM too, im curious now. :naughty:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SITM has always to me been like a conversation between a teenager and his/her parent. The collision between expectations from different generations, I could have had this conversation with my parents... actually I had! Many times...too many times!:naughty:

"Ours is a family that's based upon tradition".:aah:.. and you are a member of this family and we expect you to live up to them!

"But with my careless words I tread upon your vision"..eh can't help, you have told me to grow...

"but has also learned to grow" ...on one hand you have taught me to live my own life and make my own decisions, make up your minds for god's sake!!!!!:sneaky2:

Lollipop is the hardest of them all to interpret imo, of course we have Mika's own explanation but I think there is more to it

And this is the most mysterious verse:

"Take a look at the boy like me

Never stood on my own two feet

Now I'm blue, as I can be

Oh, love couldn't get me down"

Doesn't blue in this context mean that you are sad or down? But then comes the last line?!:blink:

Good luck, it sounds like a lovely project...sorry I couldn't be to much help!:thumb_yello:

Well I have no idea where, but I'm pretty sure that I've heard Mika say that SITM is about his mum, so what sienna wrote makes good sense :)...

Lollipop is the same. I don't know where I heard it (I've watched so many Mika interviews that I can't separate them) but I've heard that it's a song to his little sister about waiting to have sex for as long as possible :)... And he said that, that was probably the last thing anyone wanted to hear in a pop song, so he intentionally kinda overdid or something :)

Hope it helps :D

Hey guys, :bye:

We're doing transactional writing at the moment for english, and the task we have at the moment is to go home and find and issue we feel strongly about.

The teacher said that last year some people used music, and the issues and stuff that they expressed blah blah blah and some turned out really good.

So obviously the second she says "you can use music" my mind goes through the catalouge of Mika's songs for one that i felt i could relate to, or had something that i could form an opinion on and i came up with Stuck in the middle. (Middle child? thats what i gather from it anyways...:naughty:)

So, heres were you beautiful people come in:

I was wondering if a few people could give me a few quotes on your interpertation of the song,(So i could put them in the essay...i would only use your screen names-but please specify if you dont want me to quote you) or if anyone had a link to some place where Mika decodes the song? From what i find, he's pretty secretive about this one.

Thanks sooooo much everyone! :flowers2:

EDIT: have just been informed that this isnt an easy issue to do as it is based solely on opinion...so ive changed the song to Lollipop (how young people are chickening (:teehee:) too young these days). Opinions on the songs message?

but feel free to give opions on SITM too, im curious now. :naughty:

Hey 'Niqueyface :bleh:

Yeah, SITM is hard on a whole new level. Hes said heaps and HEAPS about lollipop though.. check out the LICM DVD, and Mikas Popworld interveiw at the zoo for a start. :thumb_yello:

SITM has always to me been like a conversation between a teenager and his/her parent. The collision between expectations from different generations, I could have had this conversation with my parents... actually I had! Many times...too many times!:naughty:

"Ours is a family that's based upon tradition".:aah:.. and you are a member of this family and we expect you to live up to them!

"But with my careless words I tread upon your vision"..eh can't help, you have told me to grow...

"but has also learned to grow" ...on one hand you have taught me to live my own life and make my own decisions, make up your minds for god's sake!!!!!:sneaky2:

Lollipop is the hardest of them all to interpret imo, of course we have Mika's own explanation but I think there is more to it

Doesn't blue in this context mean that you are sad or down? But then comes the last line?!:blink:

Good luck, it sounds like a lovely project...sorry I couldn't be to much help!:thumb_yello:

i always thought he said :"Oh, loves gonna get me down":shocked::shocked:

i love that interpretation, that's how i'd always thought about it

Or "Love come get me down"

like teasing it, begging love to just try to get him down.

idk

i thought it was something along those lines too??

x

Or "Love come get me down"

like teasing it, begging love to just try to get him down.

idk

Yes it sounds like that when he sings, and it makes much more sense doesn't it?:wink2:

I'll go with that, thank you guys!:biggrin2:

Archived